Apple takes number two spot behind Samsung for all US mobile marketshare

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    igriv wrote: »

When was the last time Woz said something intelligent?

A long time.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Samsung had huge market share before the iPhone came out (the big platforms were Symbian, BB, and Windows Phone, and HTC was the biggest player in that space). Re many models: apple sells several iPhone versions. And as for being the underdog, Apple makes more money (probably by a factor of two or three) than all of the competition combined, so in terms of profits Samsung is definitely the underdog.

Last quarter Samsung made over $7B in profits. I believe a large chunk of that came from the Samsung Electronics division. I don't think the people trying to portray Samsung as the underdog are doing so based on profits.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Samsung had huge market share before the iPhone came out (the big platforms were Symbian, BB, and Windows Phone, and HTC was the biggest player in that space). Re many models: apple sells several iPhone versions. And as for being the underdog, Apple makes more money (probably by a factor of two or three) than all of the competition combined, so in terms of profits Samsung is definitely the underdog.

Samsung have been the number one handset vendor in the US for almost a decade.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »

Really? I thought Nokia and SE were in front for many years.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Oops!
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Nipping at the heels seems like a bit of a stretch. Looks like Samsung is still 50% ahead. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 27 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They do dominate in mindshare. Asymco posted an article recently about marketing costs. Apple pays very little but seems to be everywhere. I guess that domination could drop but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I like Woz but I wouldn't look to him to predict market trends.

PS: Everyone knows Apple dominates because they charge so much for their machines. If only other vendors weren't so altruistic to charge you so little that they lose money nearly every quarter. image

I trust Horace Dediu. But, I fail to see where Samsung is spending the money. If there are more Samsung ads, the margin is not as large as the spending gap.

• Reply 28 of 82
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Surely I'm being pedantic here but I'd say Apple has plenty of ground to make up before it's nipping at Samsung's heels.
    Assuming the growth rate stays constant Apple will increase by 0.8 points every 4 months, or 2.4 points per year. At this rate, with a current divide of 8.5 points it will take over 3.5 before they are tied.

That begs the question of why Apple needs to sell as many phones as Samsung. Apple doesn't need to sell as many TOTAL phones as Samsung to be successful.

Furthermore, many Samsung phones are simple feature phones - or maybe a tiny step into the smartphone category.
  • Reply 29 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Really? I thought Nokia and SE were in front for many years.

Nokia was #1 worldwide. But unless I am mistaken, they were amongst top 5 in the US but rarely (never?) #1.

• Reply 30 of 82
    Oh no. Looks like Shamsung will have to spend even MORE money in advertising to try to hold off Apple.

Or make 20 more different devices, release the Galaxy S4 with a 6 inch screen, as well as the Note III with a 7 inch screen.

Samdroids are making up for a little sumtin sumtin. A size complex if you will.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Wonder if LG will get propped back up in the next report by the Nexus 4.   

• Reply 32 of 82
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Does this mean that apple can take that ridiculous download cap of its operating system software now that others make up for the most downloads without any download possibilities crippled. Why isnt those droids cippled the same way??? Its really just idiotic to begin with and exists probably only because of those mobile operators needs and wants (AT&T).

I can steam hours of video via 3G/4G on Netflix but I cant buy a game thats say 50MB if im not on wifi?!? Now that is just ridiculous nowadays. Apple should remove it at least abroad if the cant do that in the US because of their obligations to AT&T.

I blame AT&T for this just like the tethering cap that was there for years, even if we have tethered without problems in other parts of the world with the operators consent. It took quite a while before that cap was lifted where it has been ok all along.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Well i hope those antitrust regulators bring the blowtorch with them.... this is just more fuel in that fire!!!
  • Reply 34 of 82
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Surely I'm being pedantic here but I'd say Apple has plenty of ground to make up before it's nipping at Samsung's heels.
    Assuming the growth rate stays constant Apple will increase by 0.8 points every 4 months, or 2.4 points per year. At this rate, with a current divide of 8.5 points it will take over 3.5 before they are tied.

But if this counts SUBSCRIBERS how many of those are "throw away" budget phones... The ones you get for $19.99 with prepaid cards?? The other companies numbers are well padded with cheap phones. Apple ONLY sells iPhones.

Apple's $300+ iPhones are pushing out other companies disposable < $50 phones.... Apple won't ever win the raw numbers game... But if Apple is selling JUST AS MANY $300-$800 phones as the other big player is selling $50-$300 phones, Apple is ROLLING in the money hands down. Apple owns nearly all the PROFIT in the market right now.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I used to think the Android bashing here was fun. Then now I got a Nexus 7 and Xperia S got updated to 4.0.4.

Android phones on 4.x are a legitimate contender, and in terms of marketshare they are overtaking Apple, for better or worse. It just is.

As for tablets, check out the news that iPad is down to 55% share.

Android is coming. In fact, it's here. And without Steve, sorry Apple, I'm switching to Android.

The Apple apologists on these forums, including myself at one stage, is... sad.
  • Reply 36 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I used to think the Android bashing here was fun. Then now I got a Nexus 7 and Xperia S got updated to 4.0.4.

Android phones on 4.x are a legitimate contender, and in terms of marketshare they are overtaking Apple, for better or worse. It just is.

As for tablets, check out the news that iPad is down to 55% share.

Android is coming. In fact, it's here. And without Steve, sorry Apple, I'm switching to Android.

The Apple apologists on these forums, including myself at one stage, is... sad.

Lol.

Why do you trolls talk like if Apple is losing sales or something similar? They can't ramp up production, for now.

Obviously Android will surpass Apple's market share until markets saturate, after all Apple is always catching up to demand and their products are premium only. In countries where the smartphone market is getting saturated, Apple's market share (that means nothing, only to fandroids, so when this happens is very funny) is only going up. You talk like if Android is rolling over Apple, like if Apple was for once the number 1 in sales and it isn't, but they never were. They never sold as many devices, and they are only going up.

So, again, what's your point?

You do realize that if any innovation comes to the phone market, it will be Apple doing it, right? You do realize that almost all android OEMs are in tremendous difficulty (Sony being one of them, with their shitty "highend" phones that only someone that doesn't know what they are doing can like.), right? You do realize that developers prefer iOS to android, and the discrepancy is only growing, right?

Performance

Every single android device out there, even those based on A-15 ARM, are absolutely trounced by the iPhone in real world tests. The iPhone 5 beats the Galaxy s3 in pretty much every single test, some of them (especially graphics) by a factor of 3. Add to this the fact of Android/java, iOS/cocoa+native Apps, more quality Apps on iOS, and what do we get?

We get that only ignorants will leave the iOS ecosystem, if they can justify buying Highend models. We get that only stupid people will buy the galaxy S3 when even better android phones in every aspect are out there, we get that only someone stupid or ignorant would write what you did write.

Apple is doing just fine. In fact, they never did better. From an engineering point of view, from a design POV, the difference between the iPhone and others was never as great as it is. The problem is that stupid people are allowed to post their opinions as facts, such as yourself.

evidence:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166236/instagram_release_illustrates_why_developers_pick_ios_over_android.html

(developer interest)

http://techpinions.com/android-v-ios-part-4-developers/9535

(developer interest)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

(performance, a must read for trolls like you that understand 0 about it)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57519190-37/iphone-5-galaxy-s3-displays-go-head-to-head-iphone-wins/

(screens, iphone 5 vs S3)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6454_7-57519018/apple-iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-htc-one-x-the-cameras/

(cameras, iphone 5 vs S3 vs One x)

http://bgr.com/2012/08/06/apple-mobile-industry-profit-share-q2-2012/

(profits)

Are you going man up and say that your opinion is irrelevant, because you understand nothing?

Have a nice day.

• Reply 37 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Lol.

<Post>

Hey, no point replying. He's already branded you an Apple apologist and calls you sad. Of course he isn't going to man up.

• Reply 38 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Furthermore, many Samsung phones are simple feature phones - or maybe a tiny step into the smartphone category.

I thought so too, but when looking at their 183 phones they're mostly smart- and feature phones.

Your point still stands though.
  • Reply 39 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well they already spend something like $13B on marketing and advertising so they can afford it. We know why the S3 is so popular. Samsung can afford to market the crap out of it.

funny... android fanboys use the same argument against apple.

takeaway: advertising actually works.

• Reply 40 of 82
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well they already spend something like $13B on marketing and advertising so they can afford it. We know why the S3 is so popular. Samsung can afford to market the crap out of it.

oh please! EVERY company markets thew heck out of their products! I love all the Apple commercials......love the ipad commercial where the iPad and iPad mini play the piano :-)