Apple takes number two spot behind Samsung for all US mobile marketshare

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    geekdad wrote: »
    oh please! EVERY company markets thew heck out of their products! I love all the Apple commercials......love the ipad commercial where the iPad and iPad mini play the piano :-)
    I just saw a chart the other day that shows how Samsung vastly outspends Apple on marketing and advertising. And there's a good reason to believe most of that is spent by their Electronics division. I love Apple's commercials too, but where I live I hardly ever see them on TV yet I see Samsung Galaxy commercials on TV all the time.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last quarter Samsung made over $7B in profits. I believe a large chunk of that came from the Samsung Electronics division. I don't think the people trying to portray Samsung as the underdog are doing so based on profits.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

You may be right, but Samsung is a huge daebol (conglomerate), which makes just about everything, so it would be of interest to see how much they make on their mobile phone business -- I don't know whether they break out the numbers...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 43 of 82
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Lol. Why do you trolls talk like if Apple is losing sales or something similar? They can't ramp up production, for now.

No, I'm talking 2013 it will be 50-50 in tablets, already losing ground to Android as a total for smartphones ~ just what it is.
    Obviously Android will surpass Apple's market share until markets saturate, after all Apple is always catching up to demand and their products are premium only. In countries where the smartphone market is getting saturated, Apple's market share (that means nothing, only to fandroids, so when this happens is very funny) is only going up. You talk like if Android is rolling over Apple, like if Apple was for once the number 1 in sales and it isn't, but they never were. They never sold as many devices, and they are only going up.

Nobody's rolling over anything, but 50-50 in tablets, and Android is yes, going to saturate everything non-Apple.
    You do realize that if any innovation comes to the phone market, it will be Apple doing it, right? You do realize that almost all android OEMs are in tremendous difficulty (Sony being one of them, with their shitty "highend" phones that only someone that doesn't know what they are doing can like.), right?

Not true. Android 4 has quite a lot of interesting things. Swype is pretty impressive. Sony on 4.0.4 has become much, much more useable. The days of thinking only Apple is going to innovate in the phone market is... blind.
    You do realize that developers prefer iOS to android, and the discrepancy is only growing, right?

If we're talking revenue then iOS definitely has an edge. At the same time though for paid apps there are interesting niches in Android. For free apps, there is no doubt most of them will be cross-platform if they already aren't (Twitter, Facebook, Evernote, etc. etc.)
    Every single android device out there, even those based on A-15 ARM, are absolutely trounced by the iPhone in real world tests. The iPhone 5 beats the Galaxy s3 in pretty much every single test, some of them (especially graphics) by a factor of 3. Add to this the fact of Android/java, iOS/cocoa+native Apps, more quality Apps on iOS, and what do we get?

That's interesting. Apple in terms of raw speed has advantages. But on Android 4 the other phones are no longer slouches and do hold their own. Xperia S, Samsung S3 etc. do have impressive performance. Nexus 7" Shadowgun: Deadzone on quality graphics at 720p is quite nice and responsive.
    We get that only ignorants will leave the iOS ecosystem, if they can justify buying Highend models. We get that only stupid people will buy the galaxy S3 when even better android phones in every aspect are out there, we get that only someone stupid or ignorant would write what you did write.

Right, "ignorant", "stupid"... I wonder who that will apply to. "High-end" models depends on what you are talking about. I pay more for my iPhone 5 on contract than Sony Xperia S... If you're talking Nexus, which is cheaper than iPad mini, and Sony and Samsung S3 which are around iPhone 4S/ iPhone 5 prices, the mainstream smartphone user has a lot of choices.
    Apple is doing just fine. In fact, they never did better. From an engineering point of view, from a design POV, the difference between the iPhone and others was never as great as it is. The problem is that stupid people are allowed to post their opinions as facts, such as yourself.

Yet more insults. FYI it can be reported to the mods, but I'm not going to, because...
    I wonder... Will you respond to my post, or will you go to mommy's basement to root and change some ROMs?

...you're just being hilarious.
    Hey, no point replying. He's already branded you an Apple apologist and calls you sad. Of course he isn't going to man up.

Oops! Wrong.

And for you two, here's some reading for you:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Notice the welcoming tone too. Might be something to learn from.
  • Reply 44 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung have been the number one handset vendor in the US for almost a decade.

Here are the facts: Notice that Samsung is in the "Other" category through 2009, so their growth has been quite phenomenal.

• Reply 45 of 82
    igriv wrote: »
    Here are the facts: Notice that Samsung is in the "Other" category through 2009, so their growth has been quite phenomenal.

Samsung obviously has more of a "shotgun" approach to sales and marketing but you know, at point-blank, a shotgun is pretty deadly.

They finally hit something, and they have hit it hard.

I hope not to buy Samsung per se because I don't think they are ethical, hence my Asus Nexus 7 and Sony Xperia S.

As for my iPhone 5 and iPad 3, I might have to relegate it to just testing stuff. We'll see. They are beautiful but the "balance" is off without Steve in the picture. And firing Forstall, I think does not bode well for iOS in general.
  • Reply 46 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

No, I'm talking 2013 it will be 50-50 in tablets, already losing ground to Android as a total for smartphones ~ just what it is.

Nobody's rolling over anything, but 50-50 in tablets, and Android is yes, going to saturate everything non-Apple.

Not true. Android 4 has quite a lot of interesting things. Swype is pretty impressive. Sony on 4.0.4 has become much, much more useable. The days of thinking only Apple is going to innovate in the phone market is... blind.

If we're talking revenue then iOS definitely has an edge. At the same time though for paid apps there are interesting niches in Android. For free apps, there is no doubt most of them will be cross-platform if they already aren't (Twitter, Facebook, Evernote, etc. etc.)

That's interesting. Apple in terms of raw speed has advantages. But on Android 4 the other phones are no longer slouches and do hold their own. Xperia S, Samsung S3 etc. do have impressive performance. Nexus 7" Shadowgun: Deadzone on quality graphics at 720p is quite nice and responsive.

Right, "ignorant", "stupid"... I wonder who that will apply to. "High-end" models depends on what you are talking about. I pay more for my iPhone 5 on contract than Sony Xperia S... If you're talking Nexus, which is cheaper than iPad mini, and Sony and Samsung S3 which are around iPhone 4S/ iPhone 5 prices, the mainstream smartphone user has a lot of choices.

Yet more insults. FYI it can be reported to the mods, but I'm not going to, because...

...you're just being hilarious.

Oops! Wrong.

And for you two, here's some reading for you:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Notice the welcoming tone too. Might be something to learn from.

What are you smoking? Why do you keep talking shit like "apple is losing ground"? Yes, android market share is rising and will keep exploding until markets saturate, but what does it has to do with Apple? Why is that Apple's problem when, as a said before (and showed links to prove it):

- The iphone is by a large margin the best phone out there. In fact, the margin in quality/performance between iPhone-Android devices was only as big when android was a RIM copy;

- Developers want iOS, developers despise Android. The difference is growing.

- Apple still is the only one innovating at consumer level. Sony brings nothing new with their devices, same for all other OEMs. If something useful/earthshaking comes, it's on an iPhone.

- Apple never sold as many Phones, and they keep selling more and more.

- All OEMs besides samsung are bleeding money.

-Google makes almost nothing from android.

So... Why should Apple be "worried", why is Apple "losing". Explain that... Because of market share? hilarious.

The nexus 7 has impressive performance with that game?  So, since the iPhone beats the tegra 3 by a factor of 4 at almost every graphic test means what? Do you realize the difference? 4 times or more better?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

there's only one high-end model, the iphone. The rest is... well, 100 steps bellow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Dafack?

You do realize that your chart has nothing to do with it... That's smartphones.

• Reply 47 of 82
    Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 48 of 82
    What are you smoking? Why do you keep talking shit like "apple is losing ground"? Yes, android market share is rising and will keep exploding until markets saturate, but what does it has to do with Apple? Why is that Apple's problem when, as a said before (and showed links to prove it):

Just saying it's 50-50 tablets and less than 50-50 for smartphones. I don't think it will affect Apple majorly in 2013 but leading up to 2015, I'm just not sure things will be how Steve envisaged it.
    - The iphone is by a large margin the best phone out there. In fact, the margin in quality/performance between iPhone-Android devices was only as big when android was a RIM copy;

I never said anything about margins.
    Developers want iOS, developers despise Android. The difference is growing.

I don't think that's set in stone.
    Apple still is the only one innovating at consumer level. Sony brings nothing new with their devices, same for all other OEMs. If something useful/earthshaking comes, it's on an iPhone.

Again, you're denying Android 4.x ... Swype, notifications, quick settings, etc. Things are happening.
    - Apple never sold as many Phones, and they keep selling more and more.
    - All OEMs besides samsung are bleeding money.
    -Google makes almost nothing from android.

Does not quite concern me.
    So... Why should Apple be "worried", why is Apple "losing". Explain that... Because of market share? hilarious.

I didn't say they should be "worried". At least I don't think so. Did I?
    The nexus 7 has impressive performance with that game?  So, since the iPhone beats the tegra 3 by a factor of 4 at almost every graphic test means what? Do you realize the difference? 4 times or more better?

The difference is that on Nexus 7 1280x800 I can enjoy quality gaming in a nice form factor. I thought only "fandroids" were interested in specs. The iPad mini might do well, but the form factor doesn't seem as nice as the Nexus 7. iPad 3 and 4 are beasts but remember they have to drive very, very high resolutions. So graphic tests mean... I might feel a little "insecure" with my Tegra 3 but most games are just starting to optimise for Tegra and A5X etc. so I'm not too flustered at this stage.

For example, Shadowgun Deadzone can achieve similar quality on Nexus 7 compared to iPad 3. Of course, the visuals on iPad 3 are stunning because it is super HD and what not, but... as a convenient gaming device 7" widescreen is more fun than one would initially anticipate. Again, I don't think the Unity Engine has reached any sort of a limit in terms of Tegra 3. Quad-cores should help, and the GPU has more potential, I feel. Remember that a lot of games have to cater for all sorts of chips, not just Tegra and A5/A6.

Also, I'm not fixed on Nexus 7. When iPad 5 can do very close to Xbox360 with "AAA" game titles, then, yes, that can replace my console. But Android is not sitting still, and Tegra 3, despite "benching" less, is decent with I believe more headroom to go.
  • Reply 49 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple is Doomed!

Apple might be doomed to a supply ceiling...

[had breakfast the other day with someone who told me that they really wanted to buy an iPad mini. Looked everywhere in 2 cities but couldn't find one in stock. So she went out and bought a Nexus 7. She regrets the purchase because she already owned an iPad 2... and "the nexus is just not the same". Regardless, one lost sale for Apple. Not exactly doomed but you have to ask...]

• Reply 50 of 82
    LOL just installed Flash on Nexus 7... Now I can watch Almost Naked Animals and other content on ABC iView FullScreen! Yay!

[had breakfast the other day with someone who told me that they really wanted to buy an iPad mini. Looked everywhere in 2 cities but couldn't find one in stock. So she went out and bought a Nexus 7. She regrets the purchase because she already owned an iPad 2... and "the nexus is just not the same". Regardless, one lost sale of Apple. Not exactly doomed but you have to ask...]

Indeed, I'm not saying Android is for everyone, but for some of us that do enjoy the sophistication of iOS and Mac, Android 4.x now offers some interesting things.

Edit: Flash on Android is discontinued, I know, and is quite unstable. Still, better than nothing for videos etc.
  • Reply 51 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

[had breakfast the other day with someone who told me that they really wanted to buy an iPad mini. Looked everywhere in 2 cities but couldn't find one in stock. So she went out and bought a Nexus 7. She regrets the purchase because she already owned an iPad 2... and "the nexus is just not the same". Regardless, one lost sale for Apple. Not exactly doomed but you have to ask...]

As a counterpoint, I recently bought a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and while the software has some glitches, and the fact that Amazon tries to distance itself from generic Android, which  means that Swype and the standard Google suite are not easily available, it is a really nice device (wonderful for media, especially media for Amazon). In fact, Apple has been doing truly disgusting vendor lock-in (e.g.: Amazon cloud player runs on everything, iTunes on iOS only), and given that one can get very nice content on Amazon for MUCH cheaper than on iTunes (e.g., I got a very nice Branderburg Concertos for $5.99, the cheapest version I could find on iTunes was $19.99), I am starting to rethink my commitment to the Apple "ecosystem" (difficult, since I have many apple devices).

• Reply 52 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

Oh no. Looks like Shamsung will have to spend even MORE money in advertising to try to hold off Apple.

Why?  The US is Apple's only dominant market; Samsung is winning pretty much everywhere else.

• Reply 53 of 82

Others can bang out more units than Apple. No, they're not limited to a supply ceiling.

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

The US is Apple's only dominant market; Samsung is winning pretty much everywhere else.

Do you REALLY want to just keep lying like that? REALLY? I mean, come on.

• Reply 54 of 82
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Facts they may be... but not relevant to your conversation with Hill60.

Your charts show global share of smart phones.. only.

Try again.

• Reply 55 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung have been the number one handset vendor in the US for almost a decade.

No, you are wrong as usual.  That's Nokia. 

• Reply 56 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

No, you are wrong as usual.  That's Nokia. 

What is wrong with you guys?

Yes Hill60 made a mistake but your response is equally wrong.

• Reply 57 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

Facts they may be... but not relevant to your conversation with Hill60.

Your charts show global share of smart phones.. only.

Try again.

We WERE talking about smart phones, and don't be rude.

• Reply 58 of 82

Quote:

We WERE talking about smart phones, and don't be rude.

I'm not being rude. 

The Comscore figures refer to total US subscribers. That's all phones not just smart phones.

• Reply 59 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Others can bang out more units than Apple. No, they're not limited to a supply ceiling.

It's so great that we have the wisdom of an industry insider on the forum.

Sure looks to me that Apple can't get out enough units to supply demand... but, I guess that's a good thing in your mind.

• Reply 60 of 82

It's so great that we have the wisdom of an industry insider on the forum.

Sure looks to me that Apple can't get out enough units to supply demand... but, I guess that's a good thing in your mind.

Your implication that it's physically impossible for Apple to make more is absolutely ludicrous. That's all I'm saying.