Apple takes number two spot behind Samsung for all US mobile marketshare

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your implication that it's physically impossible for Apple to make more is absolutely ludicrous. That's all I'm saying.

You have a comprehension problem. At the present time it is very close to physically impossible for them to make more units. Right now it seems that Apple is suffering from supply constraints. Therefore, if more units are needed Apple "might" be doomed to a supply ceiling (ie. if demand increases much more than at present) If Tim Cook doesn't alleviate this problem in some capacity very soon then, yes, it will be physically impossible for Apple to make more units.

Your implication that Apple can increase supply at any time is even more ludicrous.

• Reply 62 of 82
    - Apple still is the only one innovating at consumer level. Sony brings nothing new with their devices, same for all other OEMs. If something useful/earthshaking comes, it's on an iPhone.

Ugh are you serious. You are now been insulting to many companies who are being innovative. Just because you do not like the idea does not mean its innovation. Android and many of its OEMs have mad plenty of innovations over the last 5 years. (LTE, shrinking a 1080p screen into 5 inches, Android beam, NFC, Google now (which by the way is the popular science 2012 innovation of the year.) and many more. http://blog.laptopmag.com/google-now-wins-popular-sciences-innovation-of-the-year-award
  • Reply 63 of 82

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Your implication that Apple can increase supply at any time is even more ludicrous.

No new buildings could ever be built. No new people could ever be hired.

You're right. Civilization is now as it shall always be until the heat death of the universe.

• Reply 64 of 82

Quote:

You're right. Civilization is now as it shall always be until the heat death of the universe.

You're a little short on business sense... right... which would go hand in hand with the comprehension problem that I mentioned earlier.

• Reply 65 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Ugh are you serious. You are now been insulting to many companies who are being innovative. Just because you do not like the idea does not mean its innovation. Android and many of its OEMs have mad plenty of innovations over the last 5 years. (LTE, shrinking a 1080p screen into 5 inches, Android beam, NFC, Google now (which by the way is the popular science 2012 innovation of the year.) and many more. http://blog.laptopmag.com/google-now-wins-popular-sciences-innovation-of-the-year-award

That has nothing to do with android or it's OEMs. NFC is dead (compared to what some think it was supposed to be...), android beam is just stupid and useless, shrinking a 1080p screen into 5 inches is an incremental step and a must, since the iphone has 330ppi (not that pentile shit) since 2010, LTE has nothing to do with android.

If Apple makes the next iPhone or all samsung phones comes with that screen (especially Apple, since they use much better screens than Samsung), then it is innovation. Selling one of those per quarter is irrelevant compared to 50 million per quarter. there's already a 4k screen in a 9.6inch.

• Reply 66 of 82

Quote:

He is right, maybe next year Apple can consistently deliver 60+ million iPhones per quarter, but not right know.

Just like last year they couldn't go up the 40 million barrier, but this quarter they will.

• Reply 67 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Here are the facts: Notice that Samsung is in the "Other" category through 2009, so their growth has been quite phenomenal.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Handsets, handsets, handsets...

...NOT the subset of handsets, known as "smartphones".

Note the topic of this article.

• Reply 68 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

No, you are wrong as usual.  That's Nokia. 

Actually it was Motorola, you are confusing "worldwide" with "the US".

Nokia was never particularly successful in the US, for a variety of reasons.

• Reply 69 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

He is right, maybe next year Apple can consistently deliver 60+ million iPhones per quarter, but not right know.

Just like last year they couldn't go up the 40 million barrier, but this quarter they will.

... and that is why I don't put much credence in these "Apple is leaving Samsung" rumors.

I'd say that it is more likely "at the moment" that Apple is hitting a ceiling with Samsung and now is looking for another supplier to take up the slack. For TSMC or any other chip fabricator to act as a sole supplier and therefore ramp up to "Apple" speed in a short period of time would take nothing short of a miracle.

Maybe one day Apple will leave Samsung but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

• Reply 70 of 82
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Oops! Wrong.

And for you two, here's some reading for you:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Notice the welcoming tone too. Might be something to learn from.

Well what a nice brainwashing page made by fandroids. (Fandroid = user living in a Google-cage of controlled and filtered information). I see that that page doesnt doesnt bring up the worst things in G-phones!?! I Think these problems outtrump every positive thing by a magnitude of 100x. This is just the reason i stopped using Google products anymore (i prefer using anything else if possible and usually it is).

I prefer freedom of thinking and dont like to be fed what someone thinks I would like. Lets not pretend like its possible to know what i want at any given time. Filtering contents is just sad. Give that up to the user to do that. Anyways I dont want the net to become more google than it really is right now.  The internet is becoming more and more of a sad place where everything heterogenizes around some ideas that the user throughs out. It just gets more and more one-minded for the individual. We become fed with the same trows out and products that we sometimes searched or looked for.

Dont become controlled by someone else! Embrace your own life and freedom and dont use any G-products. (especially not those that you log in to them, and use tools to anonymize yourself like Tor or other tools to brake out of your G-cage!!!

If you dont believe me that you have already stepped into the G-cage (or atleast your standing in the doorway) then read up on it the trouth is out there for you to find.

Give the internet a chance to be free and not Google monopolized.

• Reply 71 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by habi View Post

Well what a nice brainwashing page made by fandroids. (Fandroid = user living in a Google-cage of controlled and filtered information). I see that that page doesnt doesnt bring up the worst things in G-phones!?! I Think these problems outtrump every positive thing by a magnitude of 100x. This is just the reason i stopped using Google products anymore (i prefer using anything else if possible and usually it is).

I prefer freedom of thinking and dont like to be fed what someone thinks I would like. Lets not pretend like its possible to know what i want at any given time. Filtering contents is just sad. Give that up to the user to do that. Anyways I dont want the net to become more google than it really is right now.  The internet is becoming more and more of a sad place where everything heterogenizes around some ideas that the user throughs out. It just gets more and more one-minded for the individual. We become fed with the same trows out and products that we sometimes searched or looked for.

What a CRAP site, what's with all the "register to view link" rectangles, obscuring words all over the page.

Maybe Android Central could set up a section, titled "Why your $39.99 Android PAYG phone isn't [register to view link] ice cream sandwich", with handy tips such as "command line tools for freeing up onboard memory by transferring files to an optional [register to view link] available from [register to view link] for only $20.

• Reply 72 of 82
    I think [URL=http://www.buyanipadmini.com]IPad Mini’s[/URL] continue to fly off the shelves. While there is no hard data to go on, reports were that Microsoft’s Surface tablet has also had a good start.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Notice the welcoming tone too. Might be something to learn from.

Thanks for that link! Learned that Android is indeed crappy, which I knew, but got confirmation. Again.
    hill60 wrote: »
    What a CRAP site, what's with all the "register to view link" rectangles, obscuring words all over the page.

Pathetic, isn't it? I tried to read a story on Visual Voicemail; because Android is so innovative where it will show you a picture of the call you missed. It **even** can display that persons' latest Facebook pic, go figure.

Also real Android innovation: "Save: Email the wav file to yourself. Open the email and Save to SDcard." Exqueeze me? The '.wav' file? Now I know why Android people want a SD slot on their phone; because the (typically uncompressed) file is too large for their phone storage.

But while reading it, trying to ignore all those 'register to view' buttons, the story would scroll down. I think they just live update the page on top with new stories, but didn't check it as I couldn't stand that site. People, check it out¡
  • Reply 74 of 82
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    LOL at you all... Amazing amount of bias, just Register and you can read the forum.

Just because there are a lot of Android tweaks doesn't mean you have to use them all.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Just because there are a lot of Android tweaks doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Wasn't planning on doing so. Was merely grinning at the options that are build into Android OS. I never liked the fact that I couldn't use my iPhone as a USB stick to move documents around. But I have come to the realization that I never need that USB stick after all. Then when I read that one can access the file system on Android I think Apple made the right decision: less clutter, less for people to learn or understand and files can be opened from within the app.

To each his own, but I like the simplicity of iOS and am happy that Google didn't copy the DNA of Apple as well.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    philboogie wrote: »
    Wasn't planning on doing so. Was merely grinning at the options that are build into Android OS. I never liked the fact that I couldn't use my iPhone as a USB stick to move documents around. But I have come to the realization that I never need that USB stick after all. Then when I read that one can access the file system on Android I think Apple made the right decision: less clutter, less for people to learn or understand and files can be opened from within the app.
    To each his own, but I like the simplicity of iOS and am happy that Google didn't copy the DNA of Apple as well.

What's interesting about Android is you don't have to anyway. Quite a number of new devices have ~no~ removable storage. Which is fine.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Yet the fandroids love to portray Samsung as the underdog, while big bad Apple is bullying everyone around. Their reality is very flexible. I have to point out that Apple is very late to the phone business, and they have just one current model. Samsung and the rest sell a flood of phones at every price point, running various operating systems.

And that point abou Apple having just 3 current models (and one older one) is what makes the INVESTORS drool over Apple. This metric matches subscriber raw numbers... Samsung makes a lot of $20 Tracfone models propping up their numbers. Samsung is making ZERO profit off those models. Reports have Apple making MINIMUM $100+ per iPhone profits...

It comes down to would YOU like to get a bigger paycheck... And work fewer hours of the day or make fewer widgets??? THAT is the difference these numbers show.

Frankly it would be really scary if Apple DID get the #1 spot... But realize now that there are 3-4 OTHER companies selling MORE phones than Apple EACH ... But three of them had to go to Android to stay alive. Apple is now a medium size fish.

Google vs Apple is Chicken vs Bacon... Google is just putting out products to various OEMS to see what can stick... Apple HAS to sell DEVICES to keep the mother ship going... APPLE's got meat on the table if things don't work out... Google not so much.
  • Reply 78 of 82

Samsung is currently more interested in moving devices thus they can undercut Apple or anyone with various products at any price point.  Apple sells hardware but they also have a huge vertical market that Samsung is trying to replicate.  Apple easily sells hardware licenses, apps, media, accessories, and tons of products associated with the iPhone.  Samsung largely depend on selling the devices, they have a component business that's a separate division which makes money too but not at the profit margins that Apple has.

• Reply 79 of 82
    mabhatter wrote: »
    And that point abou Apple having just 3 current models (and one older one) is what makes the INVESTORS drool over Apple. This metric matches subscriber raw numbers... Samsung makes a lot of $20 Tracfone models propping up their numbers. Samsung is making ZERO profit off those models. Reports have Apple making MINIMUM $100+ per iPhone profits...
    It comes down to would YOU like to get a bigger paycheck... And work fewer hours of the day or make fewer widgets??? THAT is the difference these numbers show.
    Frankly it would be really scary if Apple DID get the #1 spot... But realize now that there are 3-4 OTHER companies selling MORE phones than Apple EACH ... But three of them had to go to Android to stay alive. Apple is now a medium size fish.
    Google vs Apple is Chicken vs Bacon... Google is just putting out products to various OEMS to see what can stick... Apple HAS to sell DEVICES to keep the mother ship going... APPLE's got meat on the table if things don't work out... Google not so much.

As an Android user I don't need to worry about all that other stuff.

And Google has to keep Android up to par, which it is doing now with Android 4. Their intentions are of course just more and more ads and what not, but the user experience is being met in some way (not all apps have ads, no ads within the OS), etc.

What ~might~ be scary is that like Apple, Google may actually be now, ideological about Android... They are definitely putting some passion and elbow grease and spit-and-polish into it.

You have been warned.
  • Reply 80 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

As an Android user I don't need to worry about all that other stuff.

And Google has to keep Android up to par, which it is doing now with Android 4. Their intentions are of course just more and more ads and what not, but the user experience is being met in some way (not all apps have ads, no ads within the OS), etc.

What ~might~ be scary is that like Apple, Google may actually be now, ideological about Android... They are definitely putting some passion and elbow grease and spit-and-polish into it.

You have been warned.

First, you do realize that android 4.0 is already 2 generations behind, right?. Your phone is slow, bad quality and obsolete. It might be cheap, but sh*t is sh*t, expensive or not. Why not the much superior Nexus 4?

Android is not on par with anything, because it suffers from huge performance problems. That's why you see huge plastic cheap quality phones selling at iPhone-level prices with lag, poor battery life, etc. Apple could have even better battery life, but they choose to create a phone 2 to 3 times more powerful/fast than every single android device, with 8h 4g browsing, great build quality and the best screen and camera on a phone.

What "bothers" me, is that you preferred a much inferior product, a sh*t level product (compared to an iPhone) and you are now trying to justify it with "android is wining" and giving warnings and supposing stupid things. Please, I have a brain and I am an intelligent man. I know how to choose, I know witch phone/platform is better. 

"Yes, my phone is a disgusting piece of garbage, but things are not that bad and are only going to be better. Apple must be afraid. do you want proof? I don't even have ads inside the OS!"

You are the reason that makes it funny to trash Android and it's fandroids. Don't even start with "what's better for you might not be better for me", because this isn't about opinions, it's about facts. Android phones are slower, have worse battery life/displays/camera/less powerful/cheap build quality/etc and the high end models cost the same.

If you want a cheap phone, go with it, but don't try to make it look like you did a great and smart thing and apple's doomed.

Inform yourself, ignorant.

P.S: I bought this medium (at the time) range android phone at the beginning of 2010. (see what i did here? the usual irrational fandroid BS trick to try and talk something bad about Apple, while giving legitimacy to it). I know a lot about Android and I see the right android experience as a positive thing (nexus devices). But iPhone and iOS platform are just on another galaxy (lol) of quality, even if android manages to have 99.999999999999999% market share.

That's why I like Nexus phones. They give the right Android experience and are priced accordingly: half of an iPhone.

Macs also have lower market share than Windows but are much better and only s*ckers and irrational trolls buy 800+ windows machines.