Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 201 of 507
    jragosta wrote: »
    Just as Apple Maps did not replace anything. You are still free to use Google Maps or Mapquest on our iPhone.

As I said, any future arguments you may have have already been refuted. This one is not an exception. The version of Google Maps that you can still use is on the web and does not perform anything like the app did, due to lack of integration with the rest of iOS, the inability to save dropped pins, the inability to rotate, and its reliance on the network connection to update your current position on the map.
  • Reply 202 of 507
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Do you have a point to make?

yeah...but you won't get it so it is a waste of time with you.....

• Reply 203 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is nonsense. EVERY mapping system has flaws. There is absolutely no evidence that Apple's Maps is any worse than any of the other mapping systems.......only an idiot would blindly follow the technology into a dangerous situation...... If it's not a set up, then these people truly are candidates for the Darwin Award.

Show us other mapping systems that resulted in the local authorities warning people not to use it. 

Those Darwin Award winners are Apples bread and butter. Apple couldn't have earned billions of dollars a quarter without them. Apple knows it, that's why they are doubling the size of their genius bars.

Quote:

No, it's embarrassing for the mindless trolls who attack Apple without determining whether the problem is unique to Apple. EVERY mapping system has problems. The few comparisons that were done show that Apple Maps is no worse than Google Maps (in some places, like China, it's demonstrably better).

It's also embarrassing for mindless idiots who go marching into remote areas with no water or preparation and are not bright enough to figure out that they're in the wrong place.

Finally, it's very embarrassing for Apple's competitors who probably set this up......It really sounds like the kind of stunt Google would pay people to do.

If the map did its job, it would have directed them straight into town and not into a remote areas.

Quote:

And, yet, you haven't provided any evidence that it's inferior. The few side-by-side comparisons that have been done show it to be at least comparable.

So where's all the evidence to back your claim that it's inferior?

That's not what Cook said. His apology said that he was sorry that Maps failed to meet users' expectations. That is not an admission that the product doesn't work. But feel free to point out anywhere that Cook said the application was defective.

Yes inferior. Multiple motorists lost and a police warning doesn't count?

You're naive to think Cook (Apple) would admit the maps app is defective.

Apple never admitted fault in these class action lawsuits but the smart consumers and judges knew better.

Bait Apps

No Poaching Class Action

Apple to refund Australians over 'false' iPad 4G

ipodlawsuit.com

iphone4settlement.com

adaptersettlement.com

applesecuritiessettlement.com

"No Refund" Policy Class Action Lawsuit

Misleading Customers on Warranties in 11 Countries

Deceptive Siri Commercials

Ebooks Antitrust Lawsuit

Quote:

Still waiting for evidence that Apple's Maps are inferior to Google Maps.

10,000 monkeys furiously typing "Apple Maps sucks" doesn't make it true.

There have only been a few side-by-side comparisons and Apple Maps was at least as good as Google Maps in most of them. So where's the evidence to support your rant?

Neither does 10,000 apple apologist make it false.

Quote:

The sentence before that one answered the question. He said that the customers expected "the best experience possible" and Apple Maps didn't provide it. That's a tautology. NO product provides "the best experience possible".

Again, it reads very much like an apology you'd give to your wife when you know she doesn't have any rational complaint: "I'm sorry you're upset".

But feel free to point out any wording in Tim's letter that supports your claim that the program is defective. While you're at it, how about some evidence that it's worse than the alternatives?

Which makes it seem more likely to me that the entire thing is a set up foisted by one of Apple's competitors.

Obviously no product provides the best experience possible, but apple has a history of lying.  When the iphone5 was released apple claimed maps was "the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever." But they had to take it down because it was clearly false advertising.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/30/revised-apple-website-no-longer-calls-ios-6-maps-most-powerful

All of the class action lawsuits are conspiracies too? 

• Reply 204 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

This has already been refuted in this thread, by me no less, and any further arguments you can think about when it comes to this case and my refutation of it have also been refuted. Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.

I fail to see why they would be subject to entirely different standards just because of precedence. Do you have any sort of argument to make other than that Apple Maps ought to be perfect but it doesn't matter how flawed Google Maps is? Because, not only is that not a compelling argument, it's entirely nonsensical.

• Reply 205 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Haven't been doing this 'internet' thing very long then...

i have..... but some can't make a intelligent discussion so they fallback on making things personal.

• Reply 206 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

yeah...but you won't get it so it is a waste of time with you.....

I assure you, if you make a valid point, I'll "get it". But, you can hardly criticize me for not getting it when you admit you haven't made it yet.

• Reply 207 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I fail to see why they would be subject to entirely different standards just because of precedence. Do you have any sort of argument to make other than that Apple Maps ought to be perfect but it doesn't matter how flawed Google Maps is? Because, not only is that not a compelling argument, it's entirely nonsensical.

Neither do I, because it's not based on precedence. Re-read my original argument.
  • Reply 208 of 507

Quote:

I assure you, if you make a valid point, I'll "get it". But, you can hardly criticize me for not getting it when you admit you haven't made it yet.

lol....you haven't show that ability so far....

• Reply 209 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by tflanders View Post

This is a good example of why maps are so hard. Apple Maps isn't actually displaying anything incorrectly. The user entered "Mildura" with nothing else to narrow the location. Apple Maps returns the biggest, most general "Midura" it can find. In this case, that happens to be Mildura Share, an administrative area similar to a US county. It displays it with a pin. If you supply either an address or even a postal code, then it would return the actual town of Mildura.

Apple Maps isn't inaccurate in this case, but it is behaving poorly. Ideally, it would show the region with borders highlighted like Google does. If it can't do that, it should at least refuse to provide driving directions to the centre of a region like that.

If you try a little, you can find many instances where Apple Maps returns the centre of a region like this. The "errors" that people like to post usually involve situations like this where there are different places with similar names. If you don't give a precise address, it tries to pick the best match it can find, given the information you provided. While this is correct in a purely academic GIS sense, it is not appropriate for end users. These are the kinds of errors that Apple is apologizing for. It is correct, but not useful.

This is an excellent point!   

The "search" in Apple Maps is less intuitive and less forgiving than Google Maps.

For example with Apple Maps:

1) Do a search for "st peters, rome italy" (Note: commas are important)

It will drop several pins -- but none for the church.

2) Now do a search for "st peters church, rome italy"

No results found!

3) Then do a search for "st peters basilica, rome italy" 

No results found!

4)  repeat the search from step 1) then immediately 

5)  do a search for "st peters basilica"

Nails it!

For grins, do a search for ""st peters, rome" -- and you'll get upstate Rome, New York.

BTW, search for "mildura airport"  gives a map of the correct location.

What I get from all this (and other similar results) is that Google's search, context and filtering is much better than Apple's.

• Reply 210 of 507

Quote:

agreed!

• Reply 211 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

lol....you haven't show that ability so far....

You are the one, who is 'crying; personal attacks???

Hmmm

• Reply 212 of 507
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

Police are worried that Maps is leading them astray when the idiots are going out totally unprepared, i.e., no water in summer (or almost summer)? Are these fools trying for a Darwin Award or something? Talk about lack of bushcraft. Mindless idiots.

Unbelievable? Nah, there's one born every minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

It is an stupidity of the individual. It has widely been published about issues with iOS6 map. If I I am going to be in wilderness, I better check out other map to validate the accuracy, especially when it has been a public knowledge about the iOS6 map. Secondly, the interesting thing the article mentions about lack of cell coverage in the area. Even with the correct map, the person would have not been able to follow the maps. 

Apparently, Australia has found one thing or another to come after Apple. First, it was the LTE issue and now they are pulling this map non-sense. Apple, Screw Australia! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I'm not convinced it was a set-up, but yes - these people are too stupid to hold driving licences.

When I read the headline, my notion for a comment was to ding the Aussie police for scare tactics and quote (I think) Lou Costello saying "Everybody wants to get into the [Apple-bashing] act!" But in point of fact, Apple is still encouraging people to believe in (and trust) Maps.  And a product marketed around the world should work reasonably well wherever it's sold, and not just relatively better in its largest markets.

Right on the iPhone 5 features page, just beneath a picture of mapping directions it says:  "You rely on your iPhone." 

Which absolutely implies that you can... ...and therefore should do so.....

And about Maps itself, it still says:

Quote:

Maps designed by Apple.

The new Maps app gives you a better way to find your way. Map elements are vector based, which means graphics and text are incredibly sharp, even when you zoom in. Pan around, and you’ll instantly notice how smooth and responsive Maps is. Need directions from Point A to Point B? Maps not only shows you how to get there, it tells you — out loud, turn by turn. Maps also gives you real-time traffic information and reroutes you to avoid delays.

So rather than bash the people of an entire country ("Screw Australia!"), this is only becoming a bigger issue for Apple.  Not everyone in the world reads tech news like Tim Cook's apology, and not everyone drives into a National Park for a lark equipped for a 24 hour walk caused by faulty tech (which I would certainly call "a delay")  - but those who order from a web site or go to a store do believe what they're encouraged to believe. 

And even though - as others have noted - no mapping system is flawless (including paper maps), Apple's baseline release - unless you can cite a thoroughly documented study to the contrary - seems more flawed than what it replaced. 

There's legitimately defending Apple and then there's ignorant Apple Chauvinism (see - there are words other than "fanboi" to make the point).  And these kinds of posts are clearly the latter.

Apple rushed in to ditch Google when they could have taken another year - with a half-baked product that could have been marked as Beta (like Siri) - and they're still not copping to it in their own marketing materials - so they deserve every bit of criticism they're getting on this one.  And I expect will end up paying both to these folks (and maybe others) as well as in a tarnished reputation and a continuation of "Maps gate." 

Once a perception sets in over a period of time (see Windows Blue Screen of Death - although I haven't had one in ages on my old Win VISTA machine), it lingers long after.

Also, noting that Eddy Cue has a lot on his plate is another weak defense.  This called for a crash program from day one.  I remember Apple moving people from one major team to another (I believe it was from OS X to then iPhone OS) to get a critical release out.   While real mapping expertise may be in short supply, hiring a crew of temps to make sure that every user-submitted correction is logged, checked and dealt with in a timely manner is not beyond their resources.

• Reply 213 of 507

Quote:

Actually, I think the real issue her is: Has anyone gotten lost using Google Maps or other services? The answer is, yes they have. This is nonsense, and unprofessional.

Don't the police in Australia have better things to do, like track down prank callers pretending to be the queen? 

Wait wait wait. So your excuse for this is "Well people have gotten lost using our competitors' products. So there's no need to address issues with our products that could lead to disasterous results."

Wow... Just wow.

I'd love for you to be on Apple's lawyer team if something truly does go wrong and Apple is sued for it and for you to say that to the court.

• Reply 214 of 507
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Well, that's just it isn't?

When folk follow a generic GPS without thinking, we call them idiots.

When folk follow the Maps app without thinking, Cupertino is 'endangering lives'.

• Reply 215 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Neither do I, because it's not based on precedence. Re-read my original argument.

I'm commenting on the post I replied to. You said Google Maps doesn't have to be perfect because it was already released, implying that it doesn't have to be perfect because it was out first, and that Apple Maps does because it wasn't out first. You're perfectly welcome to disavow the comment, especially since it doesn't make any sense.

• Reply 216 of 507

Hi,

Apple should have rolled out maps to North America subscribers only and undertake some field testing, since North America has the biggest users of navigation systems in the world and the most complete mapping details for a country.

Anyway lets see how Apple reacts, since a great company can get it wrong and come back with a better superior product and learn from their mistakes.

Btw: Never use any nag system in India, since the streets names always come in 2s. One is the long registered name and the other is local well known name..lol

• Reply 217 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Quote:

Wait wait wait. So your excuse for this is "Well people have gotten lost using our competitors' products. So there's no need to address issues with our products that could lead to disasterous results."

Wow... Just wow.

I'd love for you to be on Apple's lawyer team if something truly does go wrong and Apple is sued for it and for you to say that to the court.

No, my point is that the Australian police are behaving irresponsibly when they single out a single mapping service, implying, without evidence, that the others are perfectly safe to use uncritically.

• Reply 218 of 507
    rayz wrote: »
    Well, that's just it isn't?

When folk follow a generic GPS without thinking, we call them idiots.
    When folk follow the Maps app without thinking, Cupertino is 'endangering lives'.

:rolleyes:

LOL That pretty much sums it up.

Since GPS units came on the market we've heard increasing number of stories about how some idiot followed an incorrect map... but it's now we've suddenly stopped questioning if the user is in anyway at fault, now it's all Apple's fault. I guess that's the flipside of being so popular you have all the mindshare in a market.
  • Reply 219 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I'm commenting on the post I replied to. You said Google Maps doesn't have to be perfect because it was already released, implying that it doesn't have to be perfect because it was out first, and that Apple Maps does because it wasn't out first. You're perfectly welcome to disavow the comment, especially since it doesn't make any sense.

Bold is mine, and yes, it's important. What I said is that Google Maps did not replace anything; changing my wording to imply something else and attacking that is a straw man fallacy. Apple Maps DID replace Google Maps as an app on iOS (the web alternative already existed before, so it can't be considered), thus creating the expectation that it should be at least as good as what it replaced.
  • Reply 220 of 507

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apple should have rolled out maps to North America subscribers only and undertake some field testing…

Now this is something that would have actually been "disastrous".