Google's Eric Schmidt says Android 'clearly' winning against Apple in phones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 227
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Schmidt did not tell the truths.  I will tell the truths for him.  This year China sold 100 million smartphones.  The overwhelming majority of them are Android based. This is the reason Schmidt can claim Android is winning the war.

But what is the real truth?  Let's understand the use model of those developing nations.  In China I was told that the smartphone buyers are sold a fixed amount of data plan.  They don't have to pay month by month as long as the data is not used up.  I believe most of those smartphone users in China don't use the phone to surf the internet regularly.  They use the phone just as a phone.  They bought the smartphone because it cost about the same as a feature phone. 

• Reply 42 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like how this can also be applied to everything that analysts say.

I strongly disagree. To understand analysts you need at least a PHD. Better yet, two. One in philosophy and one in applied chaos theory. image

• Reply 43 of 227
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by odditie View Post

That's like saying American cars clearly are the winner over BMW. You can't look at one element of the product and categorize it against one company.

From now on when I compare basketball teams I'm going to compare the LA Lakers vs. the Eastern Conference. Hmm...Eastern Conference scores a lot more points per night and has a lot more depth!

The reason that the car analogy doesn't hold up well here is that any of the American car companies earn/keep more than BMW or Mercedes while making a (by definition) lower-end product. If the car analogy held, Apple would be trailing in usage and profits, as well as in units sold.

Apple leads in quality, profits, and usage, and trails only in units sold.

• Reply 44 of 227
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Eric Schmidt thought bubble...

"Once we destroy Apple iPhone/iPad/iOS and we have all users data on our servers, we can simply start charging these dumbass users to access their own data and our services in addition to selling all this info to our advertisers.

Hah! We WILL rule the world (but still not do any evil)"

• Reply 45 of 227
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

I strongly disagree. To understand analysts you need at least a PHD. Better yet, two. One in philosophy and one in applied chaos theory. image

Math as well, so that you have a firm grasp of imaginary numbers.

• Reply 46 of 227
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The reason that the car analogy doesn't hold up well here is that any of the American car companies earn/keep more than BMW or Mercedes while making a (by definition) lower-end product.

A large percentage (+85% ?) of users will accept/be satisfied with mediocrity.

• Reply 48 of 227

Unfortunately, a lot of that "winning" includes utter garbage that are passed off as phones. 

If the indictor of success is marketshare due to Universal Licensing, whereby any OEM that can slam together a box is allowed to run Android, then Google can KEEP the crown. That sort of "winning" is no place for Apple. 

• Reply 49 of 227

Hey, Eric, how's that Google TV thing working out for you? You were "Winning!" there too. Remember, we were all going to have Google TV in our living rooms by last summer? And by now, all developers are writing for Android first, too. Oh, wait, none of that happened. I guess this will be the same kind of Winning! 

• Reply 50 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

- Profits. Not important for the consumer, but very important for the company.

Companies. Apple gets it. Developers also get it.

• Reply 51 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I probably misunderstood Jobs when launching the first iPad. Didn't he say (word by word) that the price point made it quite impossible for a competitor to enter the tablet market?

And he was right. The nexus isn't a tablet, it's a "thing" to run phone apps that lags. The surface... well... it's a mystery.

• Reply 52 of 227
    Like my fellow apple supporters here, I am so sick of hearing Android is dominating market share. I don't give a rat's ass about Android is all over the place. After all, Apple takes like 70% of the smartphone industry profits. That is called smart business. I wonder if Google will ever consider selling Android OS to vendors just like MS does with Windows. Selling OS might bring in a lot more cash than mobile ads. If Google charges for Android, companies like Samsung, whether they like it or not, will have to buy it since they have no choice.
  • Reply 53 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    McDonalds sells a lot more Happy Meals than Morton's sells steaks.

But yet Morton's isn't making more total profits than McDonalds either (as compared with Apple v Google) :)

It's all in how you define "winning" (whatever that is). By his definition, percentage of the smartphone market, I don't think anyone can argue that he's correct. Obviously, many others would define it by percentage of profits in the smartphone market, and I don't think anyone can argue Apple is winning that aspect. Google is in it for the advertising revenue, Apple is in it for the hardware revenue. Two different strategies and both appear to be quite successful.

One question, if they haven't really monetized Android yet, how are they going to do it in the future?

• Reply 54 of 227

Eric Schmidt is right about Google winning in marketshare. He clearly has a different definition of winning and the game as Apple does and that is okay.

As long as people keep using Google Search, the ad money will keep on pouring in and Google will keep on subsidising money losing ventures.

Be smart and just try another search engine.

• Reply 55 of 227
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    As long as Apple has a strong ecosystem in terms of a large number of all the popular apps and tons of accessories there is no reason to worry if Android controls 70% or even 90% of the market. Like others have stated Apple is still making the big $$$. All Apple needs to do is to be considered a viable alternative. That doesn't mean that they can rest on their laurels. I hope to see some big and radical improvements to iOS and the iPhone again. Something that we didn't even know we wanted but can't imagine how we lived without it that Apple is so good at doing. I wonder what goodies are in store for iOS 7.
  • Reply 56 of 227
    Mediocrity has always had a large following.
  • Reply 57 of 227
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [B]Breaking News

Sad news from the I.T. industry today, Eric Schmidt was found alive and well in a hotel room.

More details at 11.00.[/B]
  • Reply 58 of 227
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

He is winning at what? Apple never sold as many phones, the difference between the iPhone and the competition (android) is as big as 2007 levels (with every single android phone being trounced on all benchmarks and measures besides cpu vs cpu only (and even here the difference is irrelevant, since the iPhone has so  much faster UI speed. Blame Java.) and Apple makes more money from phones than all OEMs combined.

I don't get it. Maybe I need another Masters degree so i can understand it.

For me, this is just PR for stupid people (Almost all androids are stupid, fact. I can prove it).

What don't you get? Android has a huge market share, which Google is hoping to monetize. You feel iPhone is better? Great! I am sure Schmidt agrees. 

• Reply 59 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Eric Schmidt is right about Google winning in marketshare. He clearly has a different definition of winning and the game as Apple does and that is okay.

As long as people keep using Google Search, the ad money will keep on pouring in and Google will keep on subsidising money losing ventures.

Be smart and just try another search engine.

Unfortunately, the other search engines suck (I really wanted to like Bing, but could not bring myself to do it). Wait, maybe Apple can invest its $120Bn in developing Apple Search!

• Reply 60 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Hey, Eric, how's that Google TV thing working out for you? You were "Winning!" there too. Remember, we were all going to have Google TV in our living rooms by last summer? And by now, all developers are writing for Android first, too. Oh, wait, none of that happened. I guess this will be the same kind of Winning! 

We were going to have Apple TV too. So?