Google's Eric Schmidt says Android 'clearly' winning against Apple in phones

Comments

• Reply 141 of 227
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You may want to review AppleInsider's coverage of Apple's falling market share before hitting "Submit" on such posts.

In tablets and smartphones iOS is in steeper decline in a shorter period than MS has experienced on the desktop, where Apple hasn't broken much beyond its all-time-high of 10% back in the '90s.

Apple isn't doomed of course.  Far from it.  But neither is the company that still controls 70% of computing devices.

Apple are still selling more iPhones than they were before, at a level of marketshare well beyond Steve Job's wildest hopes at launch where he proposed 1-2% as a target.

Android is roughly where Nokia was, pre-iPhone, that dominant market share has worked out well for Nokia since 2006.

• Reply 142 of 227
    From Google's shareholder's perspective Android is a total waste of money as they make more return from each iPhone than from each Android phone.

So for Google's shareholders, iOS is the clear winner.

Perhaps Eric Schmidt would be better to focus on his shareholders interests, rather that absurd comparisons between an OS that is so poor that he has to give it away, and one that drives the profits of a company worth well over twice as much as his advertising agency. Even now.
  • Reply 143 of 227
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Winning against [I]phones[/I], eh? Phones? The iPhone v. Nexus? Good one Schmidty¡
  • Reply 144 of 227
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry 3 Dogg View Post

From Google's shareholder's perspective Android is a total waste of money as they make more return from each iPhone than from each Android phone.

So for Google's shareholders, iOS is the clear winner.

Perhaps Eric Schmidt would be better to focus on his shareholders interests, rather that absurd comparisons between an OS that is so poor that he has to give it away, and one that drives the profits of a company worth well over twice as much as his advertising agency. Even now.

Did you just make that up for dramatic effect, or have you seen reports of significant shareholder complaints about Android? Serious question as I've not seen them. Maybe Google shareholders really do think Android is a wasted effort. Perhaps not. I don't hold a stake in any tech company.

• Reply 145 of 227
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    I completely agree. Well said! Well said!!
  • Reply 146 of 227
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

Yes, is there not an irony in the fact that a big US corporation is fueling the success of a foreign competitor at the expense of another US corporation?

This is the most myopic clueless response I've read today. Apple, Samsung, and Google all have a significant presence both within and outside the US. You may as well get used to the idea that multi-national corporations view themselves as sovereign entities.

• Reply 147 of 227
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Wh… wh… wh… You're saying this without sarcasm. You're literally saying this without sarcasm.

Not ten years ago, Microsoft had 97% of all marketshare. In less than ten years, they've lost 27% marketshare. And you're pretending that they have nothing to worry about? 

I seriously don't know why I'm surprised that you're saying this, but I am. I guess I have more faith in you than I should.

You apparently think market share matters in certain circumstances but not in others. I remember a thread here about RIM being doomed here when it's marketshare fell below the iPhone. The importance of market share changes depending on who is achieving it. Platform market share matters...... But...
    drblank wrote: »
    Yeah, but the data they are using is PRE-iPhone 5 sales.  IPhone 5 STILL hasn't landed in China yet.  So far, in the US, the numbers are vastly different, based on the latest information, iPhone is more like 30% and growing.  These guys are just using last quarter's data and just milking it to get attention.

Eric Schmidt is a dick.

Except for the ad hominem that's correct. It was last quarters numbers not installed base. Apple will double share this quarter at least.
  • Reply 148 of 227
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apple are still selling more iPhones than they were before, at a level of marketshare well beyond Steve Job's wildest hopes at launch where he proposed 1-2% as a target.

Android is roughly where Nokia was, pre-iPhone, that dominant market share has worked out well for Nokia since 2006.
    This is the missing view! Microsoft also sees the writing on the wall too.
  • Reply 149 of 227
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

It's perverse this "ah, but Apple makes the largest profit" line. This will have shareholders cheering, but Apple charging a lot and screwing me (the customer) out of more money is not something I want to celebrate. 

How does Apple charge more and screw the customer on iPhones?

• Reply 150 of 227
    The market share analysis put out there is completely irrelevant and I have to believe market analysts and stock holders recognize that as well. Look at the bigger picture. Subsidies of Apple products is much higher than Android phones. Sure, they cost the same to the user ($199), but the cost that goes to Apple or Google is much different by a hundred or so dollars. Selling 9 million phones at $100 vs 3 million at $300 is still the same income even though market share is much more. Market share alone is irrelevant. Add in the app store income generated by Android Market vs App Store is even more favorable towards Apple. Add in the iPad market share and Apple is most likely making more money per device than Google.

As to Google being the Microsoft vs Apple battle? Not a chance. Although both Google and Microsoft get by primarily by selling the software and OS to partners and make very little off the hardware themselves, Google does not make a huge profit on the actual OS, especially when it is open source. Microsoft used to charge PC makers hundreds to use their OS and it was the only option. Amazon, Nook, etc all utilize the Android OS, but they build most of it themselves and have their own markets bypassing Google almost entirely. Google's business model is still ads and in a much lesser extent the Android Market.

As a result, I'm fairly certain that if we are purely talking monetary value, Apple is light years ahead of Google iOS compared to Android. At the end of the day, monetary value is all that matters, especially to investors and Apple.
  • Reply 151 of 227
    Yeah but the threads about market share, not profit share.
  • Reply 152 of 227

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah but the threads about market share, not profit share.

The thread is about a man that believes his company is "winning". A man whose publicly-traded company is making orders of magnitude less money than the company that is "losing".

• Reply 153 of 227
    The thread is about a man that believes his company is "winning". A man whose publicly-traded company is making orders of magnitude less money than the company that is "losing".

But his definition is market share. Which is hardly that far out there, even if the stats were skewed by a weak iPhone quarter.

Apple can't go to 10%. The good news is - all things being equal like the US market where higher iPhone subsidies make things equal - the iPhone can compete with a much higher share.
  • Reply 154 of 227
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Define "winning".
  • Reply 155 of 227

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

But his definition is market share.

All right, I—personally, on my own, individually—am winning in the cell phone market because I have the best ___________. See? 

But there is an objective "winning" that I don't think he's covering. 

Apple can't go to 10%

Of what?

• Reply 156 of 227
    dunks wrote: »
    Define "winning".

Whatever metric makes you look good.
  • Reply 157 of 227
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

it's not even a comparison of which mobile platform is making more money. I have no doubt that Google is still very far in the hole with their mobile sector. Motorola was $12.5 billion by itself.

If we look at ads on mobile platforms iOS would appear to still be far ahead of Android and all other mobile OSes at generating revenue for Google.
  • Reply 158 of 227
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a lot of that "winning" includes utter garbage that are passed off as phones. 

If the indictor of success is marketshare due to Universal Licensing, whereby any OEM that can slam together a box is allowed to run Android, then Google can KEEP the crown. That sort of "winning" is no place for Apple. 

Haha... so true.

That's like basing your restaurant's success on how many meals you sell.... but 50% of the meals make your customers sick... :D

Sure... Android has the most marketshare... but how come no one ever talks about all the crappy Android phones out there?

Shouldn't those weigh against Android in some way?
  • Reply 159 of 227
    malomalo Posts: 19member
    Claiming victory is a bit silly, my understanding, Google pays handset makers to put Android on their devices, sure you can get market share that way. Giving something away is a fear based decision, the hour glass has turned over and desktop search is in decline.
  • Reply 160 of 227

What is this Schmidt?