2. Open the card for google earth
    3. Scroll down to "developer" and click on it
    4. Scroll to the very bottom and google maps will be there
    5. Install

This worked for me.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    Nice to have as a back up.
  • Reply 23 of 140

For those that can't download, you should remember it takes a few hours for apps to propagate across all of Apple's servers. I thought everyone knew this by now. 

• Reply 24 of 140
    muppetry wrote: »
    It certainly looks better on my IP5, and having found how to get into street view, that is smooth. Overall the interface is not as nice as Apple Maps IMO.
    Scroll up from the bottom to get street view. Street view came up instantly... Super fast and fluid.
    Interface is fine for me. Very clean and simple, however do not need the google+ sign in.
    Look forward to the iPad version in the future.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    [SIZE=4]Well,

I will have to check this baby out.

Only To Compare, and see what they do well.

I'll still be using Apple's Maps !!

I root for Apple, and I am a stockholder, ..........as such, I want Apple to Win !!

So, I want them to have my data ....and help improve their version !

I believe Apple's underlying Maps "Technology", is off to a great start, ....and will eventually catch up to, ...and one day I'll expect, Apple's Maps will surpass Google's Maps !!!

GO APPLE !![/SIZE]
  • Reply 26 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The app seems well made. It was fast and fluid when doing searches and rendering the maps. Public transit is as good as I can imagine it could be, and by that I mean it's excellent. Mapping appear to be vectored. It's not as pretty as Apple Maps, but that was to be expected. Street View looks is there, looks good and is also fluid. Optimized for the iPhone 5.

I did find this funny...

[IMAGE]

As previously stated in another thread, this is a win-win for Apple and customers. if Apple had kept with Google we would not have had Google pushing effort into a great 3rd party app and we would have been stuck with another year (or more) of the sub-par backend offerings Google was giving users on iOS. I'll personally keep the app on my last page so if I need public transit, Street View, or a 2nd opinion t'll be there, but I'll stick with Apple Maps as my primary and TomTom app for my road trips.

This notice is the same one that has been on Google Maps Nav on Android since it launched FYI.

• Reply 27 of 140

I cant find it in the app store on the iPad mini or iPhone 5, i looked on the desktop, downloaded it in itunes.

Maybe a win :S

• Reply 28 of 140
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

The only real lack of functionality at present (other than no universal app) seems to be data caching. No signal, no map. It will be interesting to see how soon that is added.

• Reply 29 of 140
    This notice is the same one that has been on Google Maps Nav on Android since it launched FYI.

Sure. Something similar is on all mapping software, as far as I know, but it's funny due to the recent article where Apple is being singled for exactly what it warns against.
  • Reply 30 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

For those that can't download, you should remember it takes a few hours for apps to propagate across all of Apple's servers. I thought everyone knew this by now. 

They must be using MobileMe to sync.  image

• Reply 31 of 140
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not in Australia

Try it again. I just got it. It doesn't appear under general search but the link from the Google developer page works.

• Reply 32 of 140
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

I downloaded it and wow, it's awesome! The UI can be a little awkward but overall, it's a robust app and definitely the one I'll rely on. I have had many bad experiences with iOS Maps. 

• Reply 33 of 140

Finally working for me now here in Australia.  A surprisingly polished app.  After version 1.0 of the Gmail and YouTube apps I was a little worried about what they would produce, but not too bad.  

I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

• Reply 34 of 140
    dunks wrote: »
    1. Search google maps
    2. Open the card for google earth
    3. Scroll down to "developer" and click on it
    4. Scroll to the very bottom and google maps will be there
    5. Install
    This worked for me.
    Thanks, that worked for me.

Next step: integrate it with other Google apps. As an iPhone 4 user (i.e. no Siri), the Google app is very useful, but asking for directions still sends me to the Google maps website, not the new Google Maps app.
  • Reply 35 of 140
    Had to use the link to find it. Looks nice. Street view is nice and sharp.

Only thing I don't like is the annoying voice giving directions and it is very choppy on my iPhone 4. Maybe it's telling me I need to upgrade my hardware.....
  • Reply 36 of 140
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Had to use the link to find it. Looks nice. Street view is nice and sharp.

Only thing I don't like is the annoying voice giving directions and it is very choppy on my iPhone 4. Maybe it's telling me I need to upgrade my hardware.....

But at least you have turn by turn navigation... iOS 6 Maps doesn't provide turn by turn on the iPhone 4, right?

• Reply 37 of 140
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    But at least you have turn by turn navigation... iOS 6 Maps doesn't provide turn by turn on the iPhone 4, right?
    Yes that is very true. It is a nice feature to have. I'll keep it for the turn by turn feature and street view. iOS maps has worked fairly well and I like the layout a lot so I'll use both :)
  • Reply 38 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I have my old 4 lying around and just got to installing it and it runs fine without issues at all. Maybe the other poster has a ton of things open or something. This is a huge option for 4 users since Apple doesn't give turn by turn at all. 

• Reply 39 of 140
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Why couldn't Google just have done turn-by-turn before the fight? They ended up doing it anyway!

Btw, not available on App Store.

Google finally released navigatible Maps app for iPhone iPad because I said Google has done evil to iPhone users.  I will now put Google on watch list.  

• Reply 40 of 140

I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Why does it feel like a web app to me?