Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Well, well, Google is finally cantering in to save the day with TbT - and solve a problem that they themselves more-or-less created :rolleyes:. What a bunch of heroes. Pardon me if I don't get out the streamers, banners and fireworks. I'll download it once - if - I have a need for it. Apple's version has worked for me so far; that might change as we'll be going on holidays soon. But we have reputable paper maps (gasp!) for the areas that we'll be travelling in anyway.

Think I sound like a crabby ol' goat? Well, I am. :smokey:
  • Reply 62 of 140

Made for the iPhone so it looks like crap on an iPad.

• Reply 63 of 140
    I just downloaded it from the Japan app store. It works ok, but is ONLY for iPhone, not iPad.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    postulant wrote: »
    Has street view been updated in your area? Mine is the same old picture from 2008 or 2009... This area has really expanded since then.

That depends on when the last time a Google StreetView car has visited your area.

If the choice was no StreetView... or 2009 StreetView... I'd pick the latter :D
  • Reply 65 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilpatel17 View Post

App just got kicked out of apple App Store! FU Apple!

I don f'ing care. FU and FU Google.

• Reply 66 of 140
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    stevemost wrote: »
    Pulled already!!!!

That doesn't appear to be the case.

I've installed it on my iPhone 5 and it works beautifully... and so far it's Easily The Best Nav App For iOS.

• Reply 67 of 140

Completely underwhelmed on the iPhone 4. Tried out the turn by turn and it was choppy, with little information given, also the routes were longer than I would have driven naturally. Both Apple maps and Waze offer faster routes. Obviously not indicative of the whole app service itself, just disappointed. 

It's also really choppy on iPhone 4 compared to Apple maps blazing speed. And the google public transport isn't 'available in my area'. Sticking to Apple maps for mapping and Waze for driving. 

• Reply 68 of 140

The data is nice to have again, but the interface blows.  I'll stick to Apple Maps.  The only thing I ever really missed was StreetView and like many others, if I need it, I'll go there for that one time.  

• Reply 69 of 140
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Also, Google has released an SDK for Google Maps on iOS. This is excellent news.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Google Maps shows there being a ranger station located on my property (there is not). What a disaster. Apple Maps has the ranger station location correct. I expect every media outlet to harp for weeks about how bad Google Maps is.

Note for the clueless: the last sentence was written with a sarcastic tone.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    There's a high incidence of this, announce of post and immediate removal. What's up? thought the whole stringent Apple process--so deemed by many--would stave the incidence to the once and a while. But, glad I glanced here, was going to complain, too oft apps are unavailable at same time from Canadians, really, except for a few I've wanted where content and the law of the land are obvious issues most appear as laziness on the dev's part. Not entirely proficient with process but nonetheless annoying. (Not as much as waiting a year for the first gen iPhone-almost went to Buffalo to get one regardless of cost of calling, lol)
    Wasn't going to use it, check it out and delete, happy with Maps and can wait. Overhaul will, as I feel, be phenomenal knowing Apple's desire to correct and apply some icing somehow.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    I couldnt find it via the app store so i just opened appleinsider in safari on my phone, and clicked on the link to the app. Brought up the app store, and I d/l'd it directly.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Horrible. Only for iPhones. WTF are they thinking what about the mini i use as my GPS device their need for billboard size information boxes take up half the screen. The 3D map tilt interface is counter intuitive (reverse of Apples 2 finger drag down). Changing routes is a pane in the wazoo and it took me 5 minutes just to figure out how to generate the route - why is there a need to select one of the routes before displaying a route. Can't it just present the quickest route on the map with alternate routes. Compared to Apple maps I think Apple maps is better.

Lastly why do I need to sign in to save history? Oh, so you can sell my data. No thank you. App deleted.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    Correction, found app on iPhone.
  • Reply 75 of 140
    I can't put my finger on it, but the app just doesn't feel like an iPhone app, its feels like a webpage app (which of course most apps essentially are) but it just feels fragile.

It is great to have street view back but I think it is going to be hard pressed to beat the original iPhone maps app. That felt solid and joy to use. You definitely can't knock this app because of all the data it has and at least when you put something into map you don't get Siri saying, "hey, I found this place but it might not be right" like what?? Talk about sounding stupid and I'm sure that wouldn't have got past Steve's watch.

Anyway, until Apple catch up, this is a good backup but not a replacement too.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    psych_guy wrote: »
    The data is nice to have again, but the interface blows.  I'll stick to Apple Maps.  The only thing I ever really missed was StreetView and like many others, if I need it, I'll go there for that one time.  

The only good interface Google has ever done well is the white home search screen. I haven't found anything in this better than Apple maps. Not the points of interest or the routes or the ease of use. Street view is so outdated its almost worthless, new buildings have replaced old buildings and businesses have closed or moved.
  • Reply 77 of 140
    I can't put my finger on it, but the app just doesn't feel like an iPhone app, its feels like a webpage app (which of course most apps essentially are) but it just feels fragile.

It is great to have street view back but I think it is going to be hard pressed to beat the original iPhone maps app. That felt solid and joy to use. You definitely can't knock this app because of all the data it has and at least when you put something into map you don't get Siri saying, "hey, I found this place but it might not be right" like what?? Talk about sounding stupid and I'm sure that wouldn't have got past Steve's watch.

Anyway, until Apple catch up, this is a good backup but not a replacement too.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    senorgreg wrote: »
    I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

Good point!
    richl wrote: »
    Also, Google has released an SDK for Google Maps on iOS. This is excellent news.

Is it? Now App Devs can decide which Map App will be opened when they put a Map button in their app. That'll create a schizophrenic experience, going to Apple Maps through App A and going to Google Maps through App B.
    https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/ios/urlscheme
    applguy wrote: »
    Only for iPhones.

There's still maps.google.com for your iPad.
    Changing routes is a pane in the wazoo

Sewha?
    Lastly why do I need to sign in to save history? Oh, so you can sell my data. No thank you. App deleted.

Or give it away, for legal reasons:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/policies/privacy/
    "Information we share:

For legal reasons

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
    enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
    detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
    protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law."

Also, can, and do they really do this:

• Reply 79 of 140
    Update. Google Turn-by-turn very good and street view a welcome return. Lifts the bar for Apple a little further but still feels flimsy. Much appreciated though Google - even though you're tracking and recording and selling my every move :-)
  • Reply 80 of 140
    WTG! Amazing work!

Waiting now for the Ipad version.