Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    19841984 Posts: 955member

Feels a lot like a web app, specially when first signing in.  It shows a phantom street next to me that doesn't exist unless you consider my neighbors driveway and backyard a road.  Another neighbors home is labeled as a coffee shop.  Who knew?  3D building (non-satellite) view is interesting to see given that I live in a smaller town but overall it doesn't seem like an improvement.  Different but not better.

• Reply 82 of 140

Finally! It's here!!! And it has driving directions working with my iPhone 4, not like the stupid Apple Maps! My iPhone 4 is working again! Thank you Google! :D

• Reply 83 of 140
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I'm really impressed with street-view. 

I admit my complaint about not having gmaps on iOS 6 was just because of StreetView. So, actually, I've to admit I wouldn't care about Google Maps if GoogleEarth had StreetView. For some reason I'll never understand, StreetView isn't available in GoogleEarth on iOS.

I just installed GoogleMaps and I've to say I miss being able to smoothly move to one point to the next. The iPhone5 has a good GPU for doing that. Must I click on the white arrows for moving from one point to another? Can't I just drag my position as I do on my Mac with either the cursor keys or the mouse?

• Reply 84 of 140
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

For those that still can't download it, just download it on iTunes and either wait for the automatic download or side-install (you can side-install a single app by dragging it to your phone)

• Reply 85 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingron View Post

Not available and not needed. Apple maps work just fine.

Ah I needed a good laugh thank you.

• Reply 86 of 140

Sticking to Apple Maps. FU Google!

• Reply 87 of 140
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it? Now App Devs can decide which Map App will be opened when they put a Map button in their app. That'll create a schizophrenic experience, going to Apple Maps through App A and going to Google Maps through App B.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/ios/urlscheme

The Google Maps SDK has features that aren't in the Apple SDK. People are going to get better, more functional apps as a result. That's a good thing.

• Reply 88 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

This caught me a bit off-guard as I simply assumed it wouldn't be allowed. Obviously I was wrong. From TheVerge:

"Speaking of APIs, Google is providing two options to developers of other apps. The first is a "URL Schema," where developers who want to link addresses to Google Maps instead of Apple Maps can easily do that — if users don't have Google Maps installed, the URL would direct them to the App Store. Presumably Google's other iOS apps — including Search, Gmail, and Chrome — will be updated soon to support the Maps integration. The second is a full API for third party developers to integrate Google Maps fully into their app instead of using Apple's Maps."

Here's a couple of tips too, courtesy of the same Verge article:

"A two-finger swipe to the left will bring up a menu with toggles for traffic and satellite view (there's also a small button on the lower-right). From anywhere within the app, a shake will bring up an option to send a report to Google detailing some problem with the map or with the app itself."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

• Reply 89 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good point!

Is it? Now App Devs can decide which Map App will be opened when they put a Map button in their app. That'll create a schizophrenic experience, going to Apple Maps through App A and going to Google Maps through App B.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/ios/urlscheme

There's still maps.google.com for your iPad.

Sewha?

Or give it away, for legal reasons:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/policies/privacy/

Also, can, and do they really do this:

It will only create a schizophrenic experience because Apple don't let you choose default apps.

As for the privacy policy issue, I'm sure you've read Apple's Privacy Policy that states they collect exactly the same data and they can share it for the exact same reasons, including collecting phone numbers of people you contact and using your data for advertising purposes.  There is nothing unusual about Google's privacy policy and is no more invasive than Apple's.

• Reply 90 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is good for consumers of course but how does Apple improve its map app now that most people will,probably be using Google's app. Though I don't like that it forces me to sign in with a gmail account. :no:
  • Reply 91 of 140
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I'm sticking with Windows 3.1! FU Google!
  • Reply 92 of 140

I have to say I love it! I normally have a look at where my jobs are that day with Google Maps on my laptop before I leave the house. So today I jumped in the van, fired up the app and there are my last searches already in the app. Just clicked on the postcode I needed and I'm off. TomTom just became redundant. Thanks Google! 

• Reply 93 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I must say the hyperbole around this is almost vomit worthy. The media breathlessly reporting that this is the best app ever in the history of apps, that its number one free app on the app store (omg you don't say! I would never have expected that,!),0. :rolleyes: only good thing is now that its available on iOS maybe we'll stop getting news stories every time someone has a bad experience with Apple maps.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Downloaded with ease, not that I had any problem with Maps
  • Reply 95 of 140
    Turn by turn added because they were put out in the cold. It's only there to entice us iOS users back to it. They screwed all iOS users before since they were a default. How can any iOS user flock back to them now? We had a movie theater here in town that was the only theater for years. Charged outrageous for stuff and didn't even offer a free refill on your drink. Charged you a full $4 for a refill because that was the drink price. Then a new theater opens here that has better quality and better pricing. Now that old theater that screwed everyone is charging reasonable prices for a change and guess what%u2026%u2026%u2026FREE REFILLS! Will they have everyone's business back? They are empty almost every weekend now. That's how Google screwed iOS users.

I won't be downloading it. I'm happy to support the company that has provided me with great stuff. Long live Apple Maps.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I must say the hyperbole around this is almost vomit worthy. The media breathlessly reporting that this is the best app ever in the history of apps, that its number one free app on the app store (omg you don't say! I would never have expected that,!),0. image only good thing is now that its available on iOS maybe we'll stop getting news stories every time someone has a bad experience with Apple maps.

Even David Pogue, occasionally accused of being an Apple shill, has high praise for Google's iOS Maps app.

"Today, Google Maps for the iPhone has arrived. It’s free, fast and fantastic...

"The recipe for both companies includes map data from TomTom, satellite photography from a different source, real-time traffic data from others, restaurant and store listings from still more sources, and so on. In the end, Apple says that it incorporated data from at least 24 different sources.

Those sources always include errors, if only because the world constantly changes. Worse, those sources sometimes disagree with one another. It takes years to fix the problems and mesh these data sources together.

So the first great thing about Google’s new Maps is the underlying data. Hundreds of Google employees have spent years hand-editing the maps, fixing the thousands of errors that people report every day. (In the new app, you report a mistake just by shaking the phone.) And since 2006, Google’s Street View vehicles have trawled 3,000 cities, photographing and confirming the cartographical accuracy of five million miles of roads.

You can sense the new app’s polish and intelligence the minute you enter your first address; it’s infinitely more understanding. When I type “200 W 79, NYC,” Google Maps drops a pin right where it belongs: on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Apple’s Maps app, on the other hand, acts positively drunk. It asks me to clarify: “Did you mean 200 Durham Road, Madison, CT? Or 200 Madison Road, Durham, CT?”

Um, what?

And then there’s the navigation. Lots of iPhone owners report that they’ve had no problem with Apple’s driving instructions, and that’s great. But I’ve been idiotically misdirected a few times — and the trouble is, you never know in advance. You wind up with a deep mistrust of the app that’s hard to shake. Google’s directions weren’t great in the app’s early days either, and they’re still not always perfect. But after years of polishing and corrections, they’re right a lot more often."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/technology/personaltech/google-maps-app-for-iphone-goes-in-the-right-direction-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&;

• Reply 97 of 140
    What's breaking is if Google Maps for iOS app is now released it means a major revision for Maps.app is coming.

Mmm... I hope so!

Google maps looks fine, but I prefer Apple maps and think it will be a better long-range solution.

I do not like the way Google does business and the liberties they take with privacy, other people's IP, etc.. I do not trust Google!

In 34 years of dealing with them, I have found no reason to distrust Apple!
  • Reply 98 of 140

I personally don't need or want it.  I haven't used street view for about 2-3 years on my laptop.  For the times that I did use it, it was a cool novelty but wasn't really useful.  The birds eye 3D, while still kind of a novelty at this point, has proven to be more useful and has the potential to become one of those must haves for me because it allows me to see what the entire area looks like - not just some progressive snapshots.  Don't get me wrong, street view is interesting and it floats some people's boats, but not mine.  It's great for them to have this choice.  For me though, the apple maps interfaces are intuitive.  The data issues they are having I have only experienced once or twice, which is not bad.  Over time this will improve.

The bigger thing here is I'm trying to shy away from google services, especially the ones I have to log in for.  I'm either going to give my data to Google or Apple, and I'd much prefer Apple to have it at this point.  While I assume there are some features that you don't have to log in for using Google maps (iOS app), there are some that you do.  One of the biggest detractors when using the web apps, for me, is the persistent session across them all.  You login to gmail, and it keeps you logged in while doing searches, looking at maps, etc etc.  I know why users may want that, but for me, I only want to be logged in for the mail, everything else is just superfluous.  It's their way of collecting more data about us that I don't necessarily want to give up.  As much as I have enjoyed gmail, Ive felt the need to move away from it because of this, because I don't want google to have my emails as well.  

I and a few others here are probably in the minority on this, but Google has put their fingers in too many places and to reiterate, I will not be downloading this app, no matter how many others claim it is better.

• Reply 99 of 140
    The bigger thing here is I'm trying to shy away from google services, especially the ones I have to log in for.  I'm either going to give my data to Google or Apple, and I'd much prefer Apple to have it at this point.  While I assume there are some features that you don't have to log in for using Google maps (iOS app), there are some that you do.  One of the biggest detractors when using the web apps, for me, is the persistent session across them all.  You login to gmail, and it keeps you logged in while doing searches, looking at maps, etc etc.  I know why users may want that, but for me, I only want to be logged in for the mail, everything else is just superfluous.  It's their way of collecting more data about us that I don't necessarily want to give up.  As much as I have enjoyed gmail, Ive felt the need to move away from it because of this, because I don't want google to have my emails as well.  

Excellent point you bring here!

PS Some people use a different browser in which they open their Gmail and another browser for maps etc.
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Shocking, Big Brother shut out the competition. Wait until the force everyone to use the Mac App Store.

Looks like we have a new Big Blue. So much for this Bull Shit: