New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Now everybody is happy! No more complaints and everyone can have what they prefer without the need to tell others they are wrong.

• Reply 42 of 154
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Except for Germany, which doesn't have Street View. Which might also be the reason for the few flaws supposedly being there.
    Anyone needing a map app to get home from work has other issues than debating on which app to use.
    When Apple asked Google to give them turn by turn data for their Maps App, they declined. Jragosta is right.

Evidence? What were the exact terms of the deal? I highly doubt Apple didn't want its pound of flesh for "allowing" Google to offer navigation.
  • Reply 43 of 154
    herbapou wrote: »
    How to you get streetview ???

By starting to read at the top before posting. A lame reply, but I cannot for the life of me understand why people (in general, not merely you!) post without reading the thread first.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    When Apple asked Google to give them turn by turn data for their Maps App, they declined. Jragosta is right.
    You should preface that with "according to rumors".

Well, I meant that I agree with him. Google should be told that it is unfair for them to have Android users get turn by turn and not Apple. Or perhaps ok, but Apple should look for alternatives if Google doesn't grant them that data. So they created their own Maps App. Fine by me.
  • Reply 44 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

That's answered earlier in the thread. 

• Reply 45 of 154
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,387member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The fastest way is to swipe up from the bottom to access additional details.

• Reply 46 of 154
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,387member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

By starting to read at the top before posting. A lame reply, but I cannot for the life of me understand why people (in general, not merely you!) post without reading the thread first.

Well, I meant that I agree with him. Google should be told that it is unfair for them to have Android users get turn by turn and not Apple. Or perhaps ok, but Apple should look for alternatives if Google doesn't grant them that data. So they created their own Maps App. Fine by me.

Fair enough, and certainly a valid opinion.

• Reply 47 of 154
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Huge step back for me on transit directions; what happened? For me to walk ~3 miles to the office is about 40 minutes. The transit directions had me taking the bus one mile, walking two, then taking the bus another mile. Seems much harder than using the bus that runs directly from start to finish.

Traffic looked worse as well compared to previous version.

Done any Google searches for "weight loss" or "fitness" lately?

Don't be alarmed, big brother Google is just looking out for you.

They know you better than you know yourself.

/s

• Reply 48 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'll be near there tomorrow I'll post a "streetview".

"Surely OP will deliver..." I can see it myself here, and won't care after the next 30 seconds anyway.

Quote:

Google maps is BROKEN, take off the Google goggles of denial.

Here's a small violin it didn't work in your one trivial use case, no one ever said Google Maps was perfect, in fact Google tells you it isn't, but it's far more detailed and accuate globally than Apple Maps. 

Quote:

You obviously don't have any iOS devices to test this on.

What do my kids keep saying these days for stupidity? "Derp?"

Run along, run along... /ignore

• Reply 49 of 154
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

The best map app ever, love you Google!

Have you tried them all? For instance, did you sell out the $40 dollars for an App like Navigon or Garmin? Just curious. 

• Reply 50 of 154
    Huge improvement compared to Apple Maps here in China, since Google provide Vector-based maps here and Apple image-tile based solution is the only thing we have here.
    Feel much better also in term of text and info. But only played a while.
    Will play a bit longer and will have more comparison.

For the moment the main feedback is that it feel much better on the eyes.
  • Reply 51 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

That's answered earlier in the thread. 

Well, I got the address by holding my finger in a spot on the map, got a little red pin, swipe the address up and got streetview.

After that I was unable to get rid of the address but tapping quickly else where makes it disapear.  Once you know how it works its nice, but imo its not obvious.

• Reply 52 of 154
    Don't sell your souls to Google. Don't take that candy from the Candyman. This picture is for you DED:
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17764/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 53 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Have you tried them all? For instance, did you sell out the $40 dollars for an App like Navigon or Garmin? Just curious. 

I got garmin, but its for offline turn by turn.  The problem with both Apple and google is it requires a connection.

• Reply 54 of 154
    Frustratingly, neither Apple nor Google Maps for iOS offer biking directions; only Google's web app has this feature. Furthermore, dragging to change route on the web app is no longer supported on iOS, a real PITA as biking directions so often need to be modified. D'oh!
  • Reply 55 of 154
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Evidence? What were the exact terms of the deal? I highly doubt Apple didn't want its pound of flesh for "allowing" Google to offer navigation.

You got it in reverse, Apple paid Google to use its data. Perhaps you saw all the new articles a while back talking about how Google was going to significantly increase the amount it charges people using its maps data in volume (e.g. Apple). 

I will keep using Apple maps because they are prettier and work great by me. I live in the US, and don't need a map to figure out mass transit (which has maps posted everywhere). Moreover, I like that Apple safeguards my information, and I want the product to improve.

With that said, Apple creating its own maps is kind of like when it had to create Safari. Everybody else was slacking on bringing a decent browser to the Mac, and Microsoft even said it was going to withdraw its product which it did. Apple needs a decent Maps App to control its own destiny. The biggest mistake Apple made with its Maps App, is not calling it a beta (like Google has done). 

What we know is for whatever reason Google wasn't going to allow Apple to use its data to bring turn - by -turn without Apple giving something significant up on top of the money Apple was already paying. News stories suggest Google wanted branding, tighter integration with its own products,  and access to Apple's location data. 

Apple bringing its Maps App forced Google to bring the things Google was currently denying, like Turn - by - Turn. Apple now doesn't have to pay for the data. Moreover, Google has to abide by Apple's developer rules limiting access to location data. It really is a win for Apple.

Personally, the whole Google brings its Map App to the App Store shows how biased the press and some people in general are becoming against Apple. The app was available for like ten minutes, and people were writing all these glowing reviews. The App might in fact be great, but can you really make those claims without at least a day or two of trying it out?  Take for instance, the App Store reviews. Around two in the morning, hundreds of people gave the App five stars right after downloading it.

• Reply 56 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You got it in reverse, Apple paid Google to use its data. Perhaps you saw all the new articles a while back talking about how Google was going to significantly increase the amount it charges people using its maps data in volume (e.g. Apple). 

I will keep using Apple maps because they are prettier and work great by me. I live in the US, and don't need a map to figure out mass transit (which has maps posted everywhere). Moreover, I like that Apple safeguards my information, and I want the product to improve.

With that said, Apple creating its own maps is kind of like when it had to create Safari. Everybody else was slacking on bringing a decent browser to the Mac, and Microsoft even said it was going to withdraw its product which it did. Apple needs a decent Maps App to control its own destiny. The biggest mistake Apple made with its Maps App, is not calling it a beta (like Google has done). 

What we know is for whatever reason Google wasn't going to allow Apple to use its data to bring turn - by -turn without Apple giving something significant up on top of the money Apple was already paying. News stories suggest Google wanted branding, tighter integration with its own products,  and access to Apple's location data. 

Apple bringing its Maps App forced Google to bring the things Google was currently denying, like Turn - by - Turn. Apple now doesn't have to pay for the data. Moreover, Google has to abide by Apple's developer rules limiting access to location data. It really is a win for Apple.

Personally, the whole Google brings its Map App to the App Store shows how biased the press and some people in general are becoming against Apple. The app was available for like ten minutes, and people were writing all these glowing reviews. The App might in fact be great, but can you really make those claims without at least a day or two of trying it out?  Take for instance, the App Store reviews. Around two in the morning, hundreds of people gave the App five stars right after downloading it.

I would have loved to also use Apple Maps, but the vector-based is not available here in China. I think you are lucky in the US to have the best out of Apple.

• Reply 57 of 154

Public Transit does not work in the Washington DC area....guess I'll have to wait to check out that feature.

• Reply 58 of 154
    About time!!!
  • Reply 59 of 154
    andyapple wrote: »
    Frustratingly, neither Apple nor Google Maps for iOS offer biking directions; only Google's web app has this feature. Furthermore, dragging to change route on the web app is no longer supported on iOS, a real PITA as biking directions so often need to be modified. D'oh!

As a cyclist, I never even tried using Google Maps for that purpose, there are far better apps on the store than Google. "Outside of Search, Google’s products—Android, Google Docs—are shit."
  • Reply 60 of 154

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Now everybody is happy! No more complaints and everyone can have what they prefer without the need to tell others they are wrong.

Inform your friends of that, then.