Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never 

No matter what is written next the reply is the same. You aren't Steve Jobs, you didn't know Steve Jobs, so really you have no clue. So please stop acting and talking you do. This was merely your opinion no more or less but framing it as "Steve Jobs would never" is just an attempt to make it sound more legit. But it doesn't. So just state YOUR opinion and leave the dead man out of it. 

• Reply 102 of 267

Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

Exactly. SO STOP SAYING IT unless you're joking.

…no matter how much you dislike it doesn't change perception.

Yes, I've noticed that some people will actively choose to be wrong even when they're told of their error.

Members of an enthusiast forum are not an accurate representation of the general public.

So… Steve Jobs WOULDN'T have done any of the things you've said he'd do, given that you're not accurate.

For those that track Apple on a regular basis if they believe Steve Jobs would have done something differently and the outcome would have been better, perception is reality.

I don't think you understand what 'reality' is, and that's frightening.

Get a clue, people like you acted as if Steve Jobs was a God…

This is just precious.

• Reply 103 of 267

Quote:

I have a lot of AAPL stock I never get confused that the stock market isn't manipulated. The only issue is people on this forum believe AAPL is the only one. The entire stock market is manipulated, just trend oil for a while if you want to see real manipulation. 

I follow the markets very closely and there are very few stocks that are manipulated as heavily as AAPL (I'm talking about the major players).

Commodities are always heavily manipulated. Natural gas being as good an example as oil, gold being another.

• Reply 104 of 267
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    razormaid wrote: »
    I guess I'm missing something here. Everyone keeps complaining about MAPS by Apple, but I have never had any problems. I love the turn by turn feature. We put it up against our navigator in the car and it got us there, where the car navigator got lost. The place we were going to has been around for 76 years, so it's not like it was a new place, or new street to find. Apple MAPS just did it better. Had we followed the one in the car we would have had to call the place we were going to - it took us to the middle of the desert and said "You've arrived at your destination". HUH? Meanwhile, Apple MAPS kept going getting us there.
    So maybe in some areas it's not good, but traveling in California, Arizona and Nevada - no problems on Apple's MAPS.

No, you're not missing anything.

There is an army of people out there who attack Apple relentlessly no matter how good the products are.

The situation is simple:
    Apple maps have x errors.
    Google maps have y errors.

In spite of all the screaming about Apple's maps, no one has yet provided any evidence that x is greater than y, much less that any difference is significant.
  • Reply 105 of 267

Google NSA Relationship Secrecy Continues Despite Courts Efforts

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2175369/Google-NSA-Relationship-Secrecy-Continues-Despite-Courts-Efforts

NSA whistleblower 

• Reply 106 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.

It is doubtful Google is making any money on Android, even if you ignore the 12.5 billion dumped into the money-losing proposition that is Motorola.  At (roughly) 71% global profit share, it really isn't a contest, your're right about that. 

• Reply 107 of 267
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.

One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

Once again, you fail to see what's really happening right before your eyes. The fact is that Google failed to keep it's former IOS app "up to snuff" with it's other offerings to Android and was dragging it's feet in fixing it (which is it's privilege). Apple did the smartest thing possible, which was to show Google what it would be missing by not being on IOS devices and, whadda you know ..... google "suddenly"is able to offer the quality map experience that it should have offered in the first place. Go figure.

Don't look now DaHarder ..... but your irrelevance is showing.

• Reply 108 of 267
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

Google NSA Relationship Secrecy Continues Despite Courts Efforts

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2175369/Google-NSA-Relationship-Secrecy-Continues-Despite-Courts-Efforts

NSA whistleblower 

Isn't the NSA's relationship with everyone a secret? Telcos, internet service providers, search engines, communication device providers...

At least Google does announce the number of demands (and number of times they say no) for access to user data from law enforcement and government agencies to call attention to it. I don't recall anyone else (Apple, Microsoft, Earthlink, Yahoo, etc) willing to talk about it, much less offer any numbers.

• Reply 109 of 267

Funny how so many people are upset by Google Maps (on every forum I've visited).

Let me get this straight: Google releases a high quality Maps App for iOS users. All iOS users benefit from this because it has improved their overall experience by giving them another quality App to add to their eco-system. Everyone wins.

So why is it that people are complaining? Are you that upset to see Apple & iOS users receive something that benefits them? Because really, I can't see any reason to complain unless you're an Apple hater and dislike seeing Apple users get anything to make their lives better.

• Reply 110 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Funny how so many people are upset by Google Maps (on every forum I've visited).

Let me get this straight: Google releases a high quality Maps App for iOS users. All iOS users benefit from this because it has improved their overall experience by giving them another quality App to add to their eco-system. Everyone wins.

So why is it that people are complaining? Are you that upset to see Apple & iOS users receive something that benefits them? Because really, I can't see any reason to complain unless you're an Apple hater and dislike seeing Apple users get anything to make their lives better.

Hmmm... I read the thread and I didn't really think the overall feeling was that of a complaint. Over all I think most people are fine with it.

[oh, sorry... I see you mention other forums]

• Reply 111 of 267
  • Reply 112 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly. SO STOP SAYING IT unless you're joking.

Yes, I've noticed that some people will actively choose to be wrong even when they're told of their error.

So… Steve Jobs WOULDN'T have done any of the things you've said he'd do, given that you're not accurate.

I don't think you understand what 'reality' is, and that's frightening.

This is just precious.

Your lack of insight on this just makes  me shake my head. I wasn't joking.

Let me give you an example. Before I started working for IBM I worked for GE Captial which is the financial division of General Electric. At the time GE stock was around 90.00 a share and Jack Welch was CEO of General Electric. After he retired Jeffery Immelt took over and was hand picked by Welch. From that day on the downfall of GE has been put directly inline with the retirement of Welch.

I sold my stock when I left GE and I believe I sold it at 92.00 a share. It wasn't that long ago that GE stock dropped to around 5.00 a share and it was rumored that Immelt had to wear a bulletproof jacket  Will this happen with Apple, well we don't know but if does everyone will be saying "what if Steve Jobs was alive". It's a very valid remark even if you don't believe it's valid.

Also another problem with the members of this forum they have a short memory. I believe Apple was founded on April 1, 1976. The first iPhone was released June 29th 2007.  I can remember being on this forum in 2006 and the only thing these members could hold onto was the iPod numbers when they were released. For the vast majority of his years Steve Jobs was considered a failure. Apple almost when out of business and was seen as a grain of sand compared to Microsoft.

So lets not act like Apple  has ruled the world forever and there is no chance they will ever fall from grace. General Motors, Microsoft, Dell, AIG, BOA, GE, and many others at one point were all seen as giants. Well we all know that is no longer true. History has proven time and time again when you are on top there is only one place to go.

So back on top with regards to this thread. If Apple maps didn't suck the members of this forum wouldn't be trying to take it as far off topic as possible pulling the typical Quadra move of posting links that have nothing to do with the topic. Well thats about it for now, sorry have to get back to work which appears to be a problem you don't have, which might explain your lack of insight.

• Reply 113 of 267

I tried using Google's turn-by-turn yesterday in New Zealand and gave up after 5 minutes. What a disaster - it simply couldn't locate me once I'd started moving and then went on a mental rant giving me sporadic directions from all around the city. Hopefully they get this sorted...

• Reply 114 of 267
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.

One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

Yet another demonstration of why iOS is the number one platform for developers.

• Reply 115 of 267
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?

What I thought of it. At the worst APPLE forced Googles hand. 

OTOH the Apple  map product has worked just fine for me on my 5 since I bought it at it's release and on my 4s before that (where with 3G  the greater efficiency of vector drawing was very apparent). I like the speed, lack of clutter and reasonable directions along with the audible turn by turn and audible directions the Google built in app never had. Were I to need mass transit I might check out the Google offering, but otherwise: don't feel any need to.

• Reply 116 of 267
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"now be able to generate location-based advertising and other revenues from iPhone users who use the app"

Yet one more reason not to go near the thing.

• Reply 117 of 267

For the vast majority of his years Steve Jobs was considered a failure.

And that's a complete lie.

'76-'85 and '96-'11. So that's 9 years plus 15 years. 24 years.

Let's call 1976 a "failure" because the Apple II wasn't out yet and 1980 a "failure" because of the Apple III.  1985 was a "failure" because he was fired. 24 minus 3 is 21.

Let's call his entire first two years back at Apple a "failure" because they didn't turn a profit. Let's call 2000 a "failure" because of the PowerMac G4 Cube and 2005 a "failure" because of the PowerMac G5 that leaked coolant. 2001 was a "failure" because the iPod didn't have Windows support, and 2002 was a failure because the iPod didn't have a Dock Connector. 21 minus 6 is 15.

So 15 out of the 24 years he was at Apple were successful years. I'm sure you can add to the failures list, but it's not at all looking like "the vast majority" were failures.

Apple almost when out of business and was seen as a grain of sand compared to Microsoft.

None of those years were Jobs'.

• Reply 118 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

And, if I may add: opt out of the default enabled 'report my data to Google' if you have to use Gmaps; it's kind of hidden under 'About, terms & privacy' (select head icon -> gear icon)

No need to enhance the service.

J.

image...no need for this step....

When I was installing Google Map, the privacy and term of use popped up.  I read through the terms carefully and found the box for allowing "Location Data Collection".  I untick it immediately.

Even if it is ticked it won't be of much use.  I am happy with Apple Map and won't use Google map very much.

• Reply 119 of 267
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

It's good Google Map has returned to iOS 6, however I feel Apple has gained the most on this situation.

Google had to improve it's Map App to come closer to their android App.

Without an Apple Map Google would have done NOTHINg to improve their iOS Map App.

I'm still on iOS5 so I now have two Google Map Apps. I've only used it a bit, not registering with Google though.

It still has some local errors I've experienced on my older Google Map and also on a Samsung S3 android Google Map.

Interesting Apple Map, tried several times since Sep. on a store iPhone5, doesn't have these Map errors.

Soon I'll go to iOS6 and be able to compare both Map Apps on my own iPhone, then use the best.

• Reply 120 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yet another demonstration of why iOS is the number one platform for developers.

What makes you say that? Because of app revenues? Many of the paid apps on iOS are ad supported on android and it is not published (at least I couldn't find it) how much the developers make from those ads. So it's not really fair to compare that.

Apple maps failed to find the restaurant I ate lunch at today. Friend with an iPhone had to download the Google maps to meet us there. Sure enough, it was there. I thought it was great timing.