Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

Comments

• Reply 161 of 267

Most people do not understand the concept that doing the right thing can never be wrong, in the long term. So it goes with Apple, it's obviously the right thing to do to have google maps available, why not? Now Apple has some breathing space and is in a position to do real damage to Google in the long term by simply making their own mapping product unbelievable excellent, which is bound to happen eventually.

• Reply 162 of 267

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.

Lesson 1: http://cl.ly/image/172d3M3a0u3M

• Reply 163 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.

Lesson 1:

http://cl.ly/image/172d3M3a0u3M

• Reply 164 of 267
    As much as I hate google, I had to go to google maps...

I couldn't take apple maps anymore... Idk if it was Siri or maps, but when I said "I need directions for the Claremont hotel in Berkeley", the fukn maps app added a pin IN FUCKN LOS ANGELES!!!!

WTF????

And this was just Wednesday... Happens wwaaayyyy too often!!!!!
  • Reply 165 of 267
    Three of the top five FREE iOS apps are from Google. Yay!

Apple sells phones and accessories and insurance plans, yet Google gives away their apps. Which business model is sustainable?
  • Reply 166 of 267

There is a lot more to this story than meets the eye at first glance. When the full picture comes out, people will realize that this has nothing to do with Maps. This entire story is about Search.

When the iPhone first launched, Google was paying Apple $100M to be the default search provider on the iPhone. About 2 years back, when relationship between Apple and Google soured, Apple upped the amount to $1B - and Google had no choice but to pony up. This was a whole lot of money, but not being the default search engine on iOS would have hurt Google even more, by allowing Bing access to the high profile customer base of Apple.

Before the launch of iOS 6, Apple is said to have upped this amount to $2.5B - and really turned the screws on Google. This is really painful for Google, but they still don't have a choice, because at this point in time, iOS is still way too important, both in terms of sheer numbers, as well as the profile of customers. But $2.5B is more than what Google makes out of iOS, which means, Apple was really hurting Google bad.

Google attempted to negotiate access fees for Google Maps and Youtube - but Apple called them out, and decided to evict YouTube and Maps from iOS. The story with YouTube is very interesting - being part of iOS, the YouTube app was not allowed to offer any ads. And being a free service, Google could not stop Apple from riding on top of YouTube, without indulging in anti-competitive practices. During the iOS 6 stand-off, Google decided to make up for the removal of YouTube by launching its own app, with ads. This was a no-brainer, because Google would actually make a lot of money doing this.

But when it came to Maps, the scenario was totally different. Google is not releasing Maps for iOS in an attempt to collect information about users on iOS. While that is useful, the benefit to Google from having a much better Maps implementation on Android (thereby adding a lot of value to Android) was a lot more. However, Google realized that the army of iOS users were helping Apple rapidly eliminate inaccuracies in iOS6 Maps. It was just a question of time before iOS6 maps became usable - literally months away. Absolutely the only way for Google to stop that from happening, was to release their own Maps app on iOS, in an attempt to slow down the momentum of corrections in iOS6 maps. If most customers had a very good alternative, there would be zero incentive for them to use iOS6 maps, and report inaccuracies. It is this motive that prompted Google to release iOS6 maps.

Paradoxically, Google Maps on iOS6 makes the iPhone the best mapping platform - and the only platform where you can access multiple mapping solutions from Apple, Google, Nokia, for free. This will increase adoption of iPhone 5 and iOS6, as even the doubters now have no reason to hold back.

And the worst part from Google's perspective, is that Apple can still up their demands for keeping Google as the default search engine on iOS. Google literally has no option but to pay up. The only way for Google to avoid this threat is to dramatically increase market share of Android, to make iOS devices.

And removing Google as default search engine will have even lesser repercussions than what happened with Maps. Whoever is really pissed and misses out on Google can still continue to use Google as their search engine, while the vast majority of users would not even realize that things have changed!

The best part is, Apple won't even be missing out on the money - MS would happily pay Apple any amount for selecting Bing as the default search engine - and this money makes sense for Bing, because it is attempting to catch up on Google. For Google, paying ridiculous sums makes absolutely no sense, since they are already the market leader!

All said and done, Google has come out worst out of the entire exercise - Apple takes back all the money Google makes from iOS, and iOS users still get to use all the stuff from Google - and get even more features than they had before!

The important thing to remember is that Apple makes its money off of hardware sales. Whether the customer uses iOS6 maps, or Google Maps, makes absolutely no difference to Apple in the short term. And in the long term, Apple can work on ironing out the glitches in its maps, and offer not just a technically superior alternative, but also a more accurate alternative.

• Reply 167 of 267
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Another analyst we've never heard of makes the headlines at AI because they said something controversial about Apple.

Trolls are spinning things negatively. How about Apple fans trying to get the word out too? The original Google maps app was a crippled, dumbed down version of the Android app, better data or not. And nothing was going to change until Apple kicked Google to the curb. Yes, Apple screwed up but the result isn't as dire as some would hope. Google desperately needs its apps and services on iOS. Some reports have indicated that Google makes more money from iOS than it does on its own Android. And the result is a new, much better Google maps app. There is a very symbiotic relationship between these two and I wish they would just kiss and make up.

Personally I will keep using the Apple maps app because of this nonsense from Google. Fortunately Apple has the money and market power to take action like they did, unlike the 90's when they had to kowtow to Microsoft to keep Office on the Mac.

Speaking of trolls, why are you attacking the analyst's reputation rather than his claim?

Did you know that Google Maps on iOS was developed by Apple rather than Google?

Did you know that the only reason why Google Maps on iOS was worse than on Android was because Apple was unwilling to accept things that Google has implemented in the current app, such as binding to other Google services and ads?
  • Reply 168 of 267
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    To me it casts Google in a bad light; Why couldn't they offer these features to Apple before? Honestly, if THEY can make an app with turn-by-turn and vector graphics why couldn't Apple use the same data to make their own app? Seems to me Google was trying to handicap iOS.

Or perhaps the current Google Maps app implements features under conditions that Apple wasn't willing to accept...
  • Reply 169 of 267
    I don't think I ever said that Apple didn't screw the pooch on Apple Maps. I said it was overblown.

The apology and the firing of an employee cannot necessarily be construed as evidence of this.

So, if Apple themselves admitting to having a problem can not necessarily be construed as evidence of that, then what would you consider evidence? Don't start talking about objective comparisons here, such a thing is unlikely to exist due to the size of the dataset, thus making your claim an appeal to ignorance.
  • Reply 170 of 267
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Google is as transparent as you can get. They clearly outline everything they are doing in their privacy agreements and you can opt out of everything, which I have done.

... and those court cases...   :lol:

Which ones?
  • Reply 171 of 267
    Of course you would try to evade this issue.  :lol:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_22011088/google-privacy-settlement-ftc-seems-headed-court-approval

Hmmmm... transparent... sure...  :lol:

Fool me once...

That's not a case of lack of transparency, unless you accept the notion that Apple, too, lacks transparency, because otherwise you will have to explain the double standard in the light of the location data that [URL=http://************/2011/04/20/ios-secretly-storing-your-location-data-say-researchers/]Apple was found to be storing without permission on iOS[/URL].

AppleInsider seems to have problems with nine to five mac dot com links; I'll leave my post like because it's just ridiculous.
  • Reply 172 of 267
    wisely wrote: »
    I don't understand the analyst's logic.  From google's perspective, the best scenario is for Apple to have never kicked Google map out.  The worst scenario is for Apple to replace Google Map with a killer map app.  Both scenarios didn't materialise.  But under current circumstances, how can Google be better off in any sense compared to Apple not removing Google map in IOS6?

That's not the conclusion. The conclusion is that Google still came out winning in the current situation. As far as Google is concerned, they don't give a crap whether you're running Android, iOS, Windows Phone, or anything really, as long as you're using their services. By having an app on iOS, as well as the trust of many iOS users (such as myself), Google wins out, not only because they came out as saviors in the eyes of the consumers by giving back what Apple took from iOS without asking for anything in return, but also because they got to have the features they originally wanted Apple to implement on iOS and over which Apple decided to ditch them. Had Apple rejected Google Maps after having admitted to screwing up in their own mapping service, that would have been regarded by many as a strong sign of unwillingness to cooperate, not only with other companies, but also with their customers' demands.
  • Reply 173 of 267
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Note that Google is inherently untrustworthy, that's because they are interested in selling your data and keeping you as long and as often as possible in 'ad land'. It's comparable to MS first loyalty to companies instead of the customers they sell the software to..

Not comparable since they aren't selling you anything. They're providing you with free services. Any company is inherently untrustworthy when they do that, even Apple (you dn't pay extra for Apple's Maps).
  • Reply 174 of 267
    rogifan wrote: »
    What Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed was a native maps app that had Google's branding. Makes perfect sense to me considering Google is one of Apple's biggest competitors. It blows my mind that people would expect Apple to allow this.

You keep saying it makes sense without actually explaining it. Why shouldn't Apple accept Google-branded software? It's not even like there wasn't already Google-branded software in the app store back when Jobs was alive... You really have to justify your belief, because currently it is completely unfound; claiming that it "makes sense" without demonstrating how is irrational.
  • Reply 175 of 267
    Google Maps is an outright malediction for iOS.  I urge Apple fans not to use it.

I don't get the logic in this: why should Apple fans not use it unless they're idiots? What reason is there to purposely cripple yourself over brand loyalty? Does Apple pay you to be a fan? Because they don't pay me and actually charge me a lot more than the competition, so if I'm really missing something here and there's money to be made, I'd like to learn how! Perhaps then I would understand the generally retarded bias on this forum...
  • Reply 176 of 267
    charlituna wrote: »
    How dare you suggest that Google is anything but 100% perfect or ever had issues. We all know that Google was birthed full form and issue free some 7 plus years ago and has been that way ever since. You are all liars and should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Can you please link to a post, article, or anything at all with someone claiming that Google is "100% perfect"?
  • Reply 177 of 267
    jragosta wrote: »
    razormaid wrote: »
    I guess I'm missing something here. Everyone keeps complaining about MAPS by Apple, but I have never had any problems. I love the turn by turn feature. We put it up against our navigator in the car and it got us there, where the car navigator got lost. The place we were going to has been around for 76 years, so it's not like it was a new place, or new street to find. Apple MAPS just did it better. Had we followed the one in the car we would have had to call the place we were going to - it took us to the middle of the desert and said "You've arrived at your destination". HUH? Meanwhile, Apple MAPS kept going getting us there.
    So maybe in some areas it's not good, but traveling in California, Arizona and Nevada - no problems on Apple's MAPS.

No, you're not missing anything.

There is an army of people out there who attack Apple relentlessly no matter how good the products are.

The situation is simple:
    Apple maps have x errors.
    Google maps have y errors.

In spite of all the screaming about Apple's maps, no one has yet provided any evidence that x is greater than y, much less that any difference is significant.

Nobody needs to; Apple deserves all the criticism since they effectively removed Google Maps from iOS to replace it with their own solution, meaning they are expected to perform at least as well as Google Maps did everywhere. Apple put themselves in such a position, they only have themselves to blame for it. Google didn't replace anything, they never put themselves in a position that would lead people to expect their solution to be better than anyone else's.
  • Reply 178 of 267
    newbee wrote: »
    Once again, you fail to see what's really happening right before your eyes.

Your ignorance.

newbee wrote: »
    The fact is that Google failed to keep it's former IOS app "up to snuff" with it's other offerings to Android and was dragging it's feet in fixing it (which is it's privilege).

Two errors in this statement. For starters, the app was developed by Apple, not Google (it only used Google as a back-end), and secondly it stagnated because Apple refused to accept conditions that Google imposed, and as a third-party can implement on its own app, in exchange for extra services for iOS. If anyone dragged their feet here, that was Apple. Google got what they wanted in the end -- a native iOS app in the app store with ads and full integration with their services on top of good reputation for giving back what Apple took with all the features people wanted.
  • Reply 179 of 267
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    I tried using Google's turn-by-turn yesterday in New Zealand and gave up after 5 minutes. What a disaster - it simply couldn't locate me once I'd started moving and then went on a mental rant giving me sporadic directions from all around the city. Hopefully they get this sorted...

If it couldn't locate you, that's more than likely an issue with your GPS' synchronization than Google Maps. Apps don't have direct access to any kind of location data or hardware; everything has to either go through a core C API implemented by Apple or the kernel. If the APIs don't provide information, the apps can't make it up. Switching to a different app won't change anything since all the data comes from the same place; you may notice a difference later because once the GPS has cached everything it needs from the satellites it won't need to do it again for a very long time unless you stop using it for extended periods of time.
  • Reply 180 of 267
    elroth wrote: »
    Except for little things like not honoring my Safari settings to block cookies (they didn't tell me they were doing that) I was geting Google cookies though I NEVER went to a Google website or used Google search. Or driving around recording people's wi-fi broadcasts. Or publishing authors' works without permission. Or etc. etc. and who knows what else that they haven't told us about yet. There will plenty more fines for Google's violations of privacy laws before too long.

How many sites are you aware of that warn you about the cookies that they set on your system? Also, what makes you think that not going to a Google site means anything? The sites you visit can have Google stuff on them, and I can tell you that right now you are accessing a site with Google ads on it (AppleInsider). Whose responsibility is to warn people about that? Google's (which you aren't even accessing directly) or the site that you are accessing? And if you refuse to answer this question due to it not being convenient to your argument, then how can you claim that this represents lack of transparency?