Android growth prior to iPhone 5 launch further established market dominance

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 185

Originally Posted by Jonathan Gahan View Post

Most Android users turn off the Wifi…

But but but… then that means the usage numbers are right! But no! Android users get on the Interent in-app!

• Reply 182 of 185
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

You should be in good shape then. Despite having a fraction of the market share of Android... developers tend to favor iOS. 

That could start changing with the availability of 3rd party apps like Bluestacks. It gives Mac and Windows users access to (apparently) all Android apps.  Compatibility and access to three platforms by simply developing an Android app first sounds like it could gain developer's attention.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/27/bluestacks-app-player-for-mac-launches-beta-now-you-can-run-over-750000-android-apps-on-mac/

• Reply 183 of 185
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That could start changing with the availability of 3rd party apps like Bluestacks. It gives Mac and Windows users access to (apparently) all Android apps.  Compatibility and access to three platforms by simply developing an Android app first sounds like it could gain developer's attention.
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/27/bluestacks-app-player-for-mac-launches-beta-now-you-can-run-over-750000-android-apps-on-mac/

The only problem I see is that Android apps are designed for touch... while your Mac and (most) Windows PCs don't have touchscreens.

Interesting concept... but I'm still confused about the execution...

My point was... iOS will still be a compelling platform even if iOS doesn't have the most market share.

Hell... right now Android phones have 75% market share while the iPhone has 15%. And yet developers are still developing apps for the iPhone by the bucketload.

We were talking about Apple's declining market share against Android... yet iPhone app development is still strong.
  • Reply 184 of 185

We run the gambit in our household. Got the iPad 4 white wi-fi for Christmas, even though I couldn't tell a difference in the display and my original iPad. (BTW, Ebay will give $130 for your old iPad if in good shape). That's my eyes and not Apples fault. Daughter got an upgrade to an iPhone 5 white... Me and my wife still use Sammy Skyrockets on ICS, and since ATT was paying people to take them, I added a line of a Nokia 920. I know Window OS has little in terms of apps, but I found most of what I use.

Basically, nobody is going under or dominate.

• Reply 185 of 185
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Most Android users turn off the Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS because doing so actually results in an appreciable increase in their device's battery life. Android's power management is, in fact, that bad.
    But but but… then that means the usage numbers are right! But no! Android users get on the Interent in-app!

LOL... Android users do know how to do this thing called... Turning the switch to "ON" when they want to connect. They aren't Apple users, you know... :smokey:
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That could start changing with the availability of 3rd party apps like Bluestacks. It gives Mac and Windows users access to (apparently) all Android apps. Compatibility and access to three platforms by simply developing an Android app first sounds like it could gain developer's attention.

Very good idea. But doesn't work for me on my Mac, I can't add a Google Play Account. I really like Android Central Forums and XDA Forums apps which are based on Tapatalk, it makes foruming an order of magnitude easier compared to overblown, totally bloated websites like *cough* certain ones we know...