Android growth prior to iPhone 5 launch further established market dominance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    interesting that
    %u2022 you can't eat turnover
    %u2022 usage of smartphones is surely consuming web services
    %u2022 dominating usage, dominating profits... one horse race..
  • Reply 22 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Good for android. Wake me up when usage share or profit share matches the SHIPMENT share.
  • Reply 23 of 185
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Apple is doomed.

They didn't mentioned that Dell announced they were getting out of the smartphone business, so that's one Android/Windows phone maker getting out, because there isn't any MONEY for them.  One down, who's next?

• Reply 24 of 185
    It makes sense that the late adopters would lean towards cheaper Android handsets, especially in countries without carrier subsidies, but some of those people will get iPhones when they realize how bad the cheaper devices are. My sister has a Samsung Android phone that needs to be constantly plugged in because the battery only holds out for a few hours. Her next phone will be an iPhone, and I doubt she'd ever get another Samsung, no matter how good the high-end models appear to be.
  • Reply 25 of 185
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Why publish this crap?

I wouldn't post this crap either.  I would wait until at least 3 or 6 months after Apple's iPhone announcement, because they usually pound a lot of sales  in that time frame.

Sept, is the worst quarter of the year because most people are on vacation.  The Christmas and March quarters are typically much bigger than the Summer quarter for the high tech industry.

• Reply 26 of 185
    Apple makes most all of the profits and dominates web traffic.

Android's gains were just prior to release of iPhone 5 when Apple customers were awaiting a new product release. That gives a really distorted view.

Apple appears to be selling iPhones about as fast as they're able to make them. The overall market for smartphones is exploding. Apple's sales are rising.
  • Reply 27 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Use Lightning adapter as an model, Apple could do the unthinkable: License iOS to OEM's

Don't be silly. That will never happen.

• Reply 28 of 185

... but what is the aggregate?

Even if Android users are on par using cellular data but below iOS on wifi; is the average of these two figures still 2:1 for iOS for web browsing? This is the quest for eyeballs so it is important to know this.

• Reply 29 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Another shift of the goal posts.

Here's a brief history of claims on this site:

1. Android phones will never sell in Apple's new market.

2. Android will never outsell iOS.

3. No single company will sell more phones than Apple.

Do you see the trend?  The business model for Android lends itself to market domination, and whether or not you want to believe it, Android will control the smartphone market within a couple years.  But Apple is not going anywhere.  Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand!

I think that Tim Cook has a different perspective on market share than Steve Jobs. (Hell, for all I know, Steve Jobs may have starting thinking more about market share)

I think that Tim Cook is devising a plan to take back market share. Larger phones, smaller phones, cheaper phones, even better OS, killer app... who knows*. I do think though that we will have an answer in the next 3 months.

*No, not licencing

• Reply 30 of 185
    Use Lightning adapter as an model, Apple could do the unthinkable: License iOS to OEM's
    I hope not. Then we'll see the same kind of fragmentation that you see with Android now. Worse, other vendors will be sorely tempted to add in their own malware and tweaks that will change the iOS experience. When that happens, Apple will be hurt not the third-party vendors.

Not a good idea in my opinion.
  • Reply 31 of 185
    macrulez wrote: »

Laughable if it weren't a bit sad. According to your link, Android users are so stupid or the interface is so bad that they can't figure out if they're on wifi. And they are likely to be poorer (therefore less likely to afford wifi).

Thanks for clarifying something that I always suspected.
  • Reply 32 of 185
    Should have added: the 2:1 ratio originally quoted still stands.
  • Reply 33 of 185
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I think that Tim Cook has a different perspective on market share than Steve Jobs. (Hell, for all I know, Steve Jobs may have starting thinking more about market share)

I think that Tim Cook is devising a plan to take back market share. Larger phones, smaller phones, cheaper phones, even better OS, killer app... who knows*. I do think though that we will have an answer in the next 3 months.

*No, not licencing

Again, market share is not Apple's goal. However, if there is a profitable segment, Apple will investigate and enter if/when they have a viable product.
  • Reply 34 of 185
    Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand!

Yet, how do you explain that far fewer developers have apps for Android?
  • Reply 35 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Again, market share is not Apple's goal. However, if there is a profitable segment, Apple will investigate and enter if/when they have a viable product.

I'm glad to see we have someone on the forum from Apple's inner circle.

• Reply 36 of 185
    OK, I'm officially going to stop wasting my time reading stories like these...

The iPhone 5 was introduced in late September... That month, of course, is an anomoly... To extrapolate a long-term prediction from the particular month is total folly...

Android has the unit shipments, but a TINY percentage of web traffic... Why? A big chunk of Android sales are low-cost devices being sold into developing markets... Apple continues to hold the advantage in leading markets, in both smartphones and tablets... Android is giving Apple a run for their money to be sure - competition is great! - but analysts who write stories like these are either incredibly lazy or on the take from hedge funds and short-sellers...
  • Reply 37 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Laughable if it weren't a bit sad. According to your link, Android users are so stupid or the interface is so bad that they can't figure out if they're on wifi. And they are likely to be poorer (therefore less likely to afford wifi).

Thanks for clarifying something that I always suspected.

Most of the Android users I know are never on WiFi, even when it's freely available to them at, say, work. Most of them keep the WiFi turned off to "conserve battery", I guess on the theory they have to stay on cellular to get their texts.

• Reply 38 of 185
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A 5 dollar whore, standing on your average street corner, is going to blow more guys in one night than the exclusive upscale whore who works in a classy hotel. Who makes more money per night?

Everybody knows that Android phones cater to the lowest common denominator, the broke ass customer who hardly uses their phone as a smart phone and customers who have gotten their phones for free or in BOGOF deals.

As long as Apple is around, Android will never take over the smartphone market, what a stupid assertion to make. Apple still has the best devices, the best ecosystem, the best support, the best customer satisfaction and the best apps/software. Hundreds of millions of people use iOS devices.

It's not, and it shouldn't be Apple's goal to own all of the smartphone market. As long as Apple holds a decent piece of it, selling their premium devices, then all will continue to be fine. Apple should not enter the business of making junk for junky people.

By paragraph

(1) As a user of Apple products rather than an Apple shareholder, I couldn't care less whether Apple, Google, Samsung or whoever is making more money. I care about the quality of the products I use, not whose pockets are being filled. (Though I resent the Ad-intrusive means inherent to Google's business model.)

(2) Utter nonsense. Android succeeds in terms of marketshare because it competes in every sector. From the high end, where top Samsung models are selling reasonably well against the iPhone, to the bargain basement - and everything in between.

(3) What's a 'take over'? Android could well 'take over' the smartphone market to the same extent and, gallingly, in exactly the same manner as Windows did. Sure they never eradicated Macs from the face of the earth, and it still a thriving platform. But things got worse for Mac Users as the Mac's marketshare shrank. Major developers who'd written great software for the Mac first, began to give more priority to PC versions - understandably. At the moment developers, for well rehearsed reasons, prefer iOS - it's a huge factor in making it a superior platform. But if marketshare trends continue, they will switch attention to Android first.

Apple needs a less expensive smartphone. They showed in the development of the iPod range (which retained market dominance), that they could compete at lower price points than top end - without their products feeling cheap - indeed some of their best designed iPods were in their mid-range nano/mini models.

(4) To value people by the products they use, or in many cases using the only devices they can afford, shows incredibly shallow judgment.

• Reply 39 of 185
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

The basic conclusion in the link is that Android users are poor and don't have WiFi and can't afford surfing the web on their devices.  That may be true, but it doesn't suggest that Android is winning the mobile war.  It suggests to me that Android users have an Android phone because they needed a phone and their phone company provides an android phone.  

The droves of Android users may be no more likely to stick with Android in the long run than the users of Nokia or RIM were.  What makes a device platform "sticky" is if you purchase and use software specific to the platform (e.g. buy and store music and apps).  In this sense, Apple is more like Microsoft than Android is.  

This will continue to be a two-horse race.  Apple will sell devices that people want and Google will continue to service devices that cell phone companies want to give away.  

• Reply 40 of 185
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    Such analysts are just stuck in the paradigm they understand, and not the one we are in. Follow the money.

1. Apple takes most of the profits from the handset market.
    2. iOS delivers more ad revenue both per user and in total.
    3. iOS users spend more on apps than on other platforms.
    4. iOS developers earn more on apps than on other platforms.

And don't forget ...

iOS isn't just the iPhone. It's the iPad and the AppleTV.