Apple's 27" iMacs continue to face production issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Since I keep my phone charged by my bed I woudn't use that unless it was at work.

I thought you were retired; when the plans for Campus 2 were revealed and we all saw this amazing round building, I remember you wrote something like '...makes me want to come out of retirement'
    ugh |?g, ?KH, o?oKH|
    exclamation. (informal)
    • expressing a negative feeling, often disgust, but lacking sufficient interest to explain one's feeling.

meh |me|
    exclamation (informal)
    • expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm, but lacking sufficient interest to evoke any feelings whatsoever, negative nor positive.

Ah Sol, the poster of posters!
  • Reply 42 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I thought you were retired; when the plans for Campus 2 were revealed and we all saw this amazing round building, I remember you wrote something like '...makes me want to come out of retirement'
    Ah Sol, the poster of posters!

I was and then I got bored. I ended up wasting all my time on some internet tech forum. I also couldn't get personal health benefit due to pre-existing conditions (which will change by 2014).

But I won't be moving to Cupertino. I've found a good place to live and have decided to put down roots here, which is a big factor in giving up more than a decade of notebook use for a desktop.

edit: I'll let the great Alan Watts describe my change of heart in this animated video.
  • Reply 43 of 154
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was and then I got bored. I ended up wasting all my time on some internet tech forum. I also couldn't get personal health benefit due to pre-existing conditions (which will change by 2014).

Hahaha, well, looks like you still spend an incredible amount of time at a certain tech forum whilst working as well. I simply do not understand where you find the time. I can hardly keep up with all the stories, although sometimes I think it's better to simply read the comments, but don't want to reply to anyone without reading the story and whole thread. And then 'my time is up'.

The amount of solid info you are giving here is very much appreciated, so I thank you for that. Sure hope you're still here in 2014!
  • Reply 44 of 154
    Hahaha, well, looks like you still spend an incredible amount of time at a certain tech forum whilst working as well. I simply do not understand where you find the time. I can hardly keep up with all the stories, although sometimes I think it's better to simply read the comments, but don't want to reply to anyone without reading the story and whole thread. And then 'my time is up'.

The amount of solid info you are giving here is very much appreciated, so I thank you for that. Sure hope you're still here in 2014!

Work smarter, not harder. ~Scrooge McDuck

I take very little time to read, research and post. I use Textexpander to setup a lot of formatting shortcuts which is why you'll see most of my hyperlinks indented and bulleted so they can be read easier. My lack of time is evidenced by insurmountable number of typos and lack of proofreading I do. It's mostly a very focused flow which is why I'll often (like in the previous post) submit and then add another paragraph between the time you get the instant email and open the page to read it.
  • Reply 45 of 154

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And I saw a 'Tallest Skilled' iPhone:

See, I like that. All phones, from the very first, have been thin… and tall. None of this wide phone crap we've been seeing in the last three years. Thin and tall, thin and tall. Every portable phone since the first has been usable with one hand. Except some made in the last three years. The stuff they used in WWII doesn't count; that's more two-way radio than phone. You can use it with one hand, but it took two to carry, so… 

• Reply 46 of 154
    jim wjim w Posts: 75member

Really don't care if I can slice cheese with my monitor/iMac. Give me back a powerful Mac Pro! If you can't build it, they won't come...

• Reply 47 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

Really don't care if I can slice cheese with my monitor/iMac. Give me back a powerful Mac Pro! If you can't build it, they won't come...

Uh, the MacPro is slated for later this year.  This is a thread about iMacs.  And they are selling well.

• Reply 48 of 154

Many people in the pro video community in which I work are touting the 27" iMac as a Mac Pro replacement. It isn't and that is why I posted here. The traditionally highly expandable Mac Pro is hardly a certainty to appear. It was only said the "something really great" would be coming, probably late in the year. I certainly hope it does. Many pros are moving to Windows because the last Mac Pro is really 2010 technology. By making the iMac even thinner with a laminated front panel making expansion or modification even more difficult if not impossible for the sake of aesthetics, make it even less desirable for media professionals. And apparently more difficult to produce. And no, Thunderbolt is not adequate to serve the needs of most media professionals.

• Reply 49 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jim w wrote: »
    Many people in the pro video community in which I work are touting the 27" iMac as a Mac Pro replacement. It isn't and that is why I posted here. The traditionally highly expandable Mac Pro is hardly a certainty to appear. It was only said the "something really great" would be coming, probably late in the year. I certainly hope it does. Many pros are moving to Windows because the last Mac Pro is really 2010 technology. By making the iMac even thinner with a laminated front panel making expansion or modification even more difficult if not impossible for the sake of aesthetics, make it even less desirable for media professionals. And apparently more difficult to produce. And no, Thunderbolt is not adequate to serve the needs of most media professionals.

I'm one of the professionals that went down from a tower PC (as well as a Mac Pro) to an iMac. The tower PC was a dual-dual Xeon (four cores total) with a 15kRPM hard drive and enough RAM to do the job, which is less than what can be very cheaply put into an iMac. While iMacs aren't a replacement for everything a Mac Pro offers, they are clearly eating away the market for a Mac Pro for a lot of tasks. Graphic design, CAD and CAM often required a tower workstation in the past, can be easily done with an iMac. An external RAID box is a reasonable option for large video storage now.

I am disappointed that it's a little harder to replace hard drives, that's something I tend to do once or twice over any computer's lifetime, but the computer is out of warranty by then and a guitar pick is an easy tool to use.
  • Reply 50 of 154

I also went from a MacPro to an iMac.  It was cheaper and faster and had a larger screen than my older MacPro.   Not to mention it is much quieter, requires less space, uses less energy and is less likely to cause back pain.

• Reply 51 of 154
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I'm one of the professionals that went down from a tower PC (as well as a Mac Pro) to an iMac.

I also went from a MacPro to an iMac.

You aren't bothered by the glossy screen, or is it not all that glossy anymore? I'd go crazy if my 30" ACD would die, but would probably get a Eizo or NEC if it did. This completely apart from the computer side of your statement; I'm sure the iMac is a viable successor if your MP dies.
  • Reply 52 of 154

You aren't bothered by the glossy screen, or is it not all that glossy anymore? I'd go crazy if my 30" ACD would die, but would probably get a Eizo or NEC if it did. This completely apart from the computer side of your statement; I'm sure the iMac is a viable successor if your MP dies.

It's a nuisance on my 2011, but I can adjust the screen where it's minimal. The reflectivity of the new laminated panel on the 2012 is much lower. I think a matte screen is worse than the new low reflectivity screens.
  • Reply 53 of 154
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It's a nuisance on my 2011. The reflectivity of the new laminated panel on the 2012 is much lower. I think a matte screen is worse than the new low reflectivity screens.

Ah, ok, thanks for the reply. I must take a look at the new iMacs. Will need to hop over to Amsterdam as the 2nd store in NL (in my hometown) won't be open before this fall, earliest.

A shame there doesn't seem to be a way to compare a NEC, Eizo and iMac/TB display next to each other. Well, maybe at my local photo academy, come to think of it.
  • Reply 54 of 154

If they are eating away at the Mac Pro market it mostly because of the lack of new Mac Pro, not anything offered by the iMac for professional use. At this point it is the only moderately high performance desktop regularly being updated by Apple. It lacks the ability to install large amounts of RAM, expansion cards, and multiple hard drives capable of booting into several versions of Mac OS or Windows easily on discrete hard drives, amongst other shortcomings. I am not a Windows user BTW, and never plan to be. My comment was meant to convey my worry that Apple will fall into a style over substance (performance) deficit if they rely in the iMac as their only desktop. I have been a Mac professional since the beginning and have sold and installed approximately 150 Mac based nonlinear video editing systems as a dealer for the two major vendors at that time. I do have some idea what they require. Thanks.

• Reply 55 of 154
    jim w wrote: »
    If they are eating away at the Mac Pro market it mostly because of the lack of new Mac Pro, not anything offered by the iMac for professional use.

I'd argue the other way. A lot of users that used to require tower computers just don't anymore, and that diminishes the incentive to continually refresh the model. For example, graphic design used to be a staple customer for the Apple towers, now they can just get iMacs because they're more than capable enough and they don't need add-in cards anymore. The video editing and heavy compute/scientific market might not be enough to hold down its own model on an annual refresh cycle.
  • Reply 56 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The display for my MacPro was matte.  Yes, the 2011 iMac is pretty glossy.  I have a private office and don't like direct lighting anyways, so long ago I had moved to indirect lighting that never had a chance of reflecting off my screen.  The last piece of the set up came last year with a couple of newly released LED strips that contained a bit of orange (as opposed to the regular bright white).  I have several strips installed on independent switches so I can adjust the brightness level.  

That said, the new iMacs are a different breed and the screens are, from what I can tell down at my shop, far less reflective than the old iMacs.  They had new and old side by side for a day while they were setting things up and I could compare easily.  The new iMac should look great in my office; I am just waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it to arrive!

You should at least give them a look.  

One thing I like about the iMac is overall volume is far lower than the iMac, fewer cables, lower power draw.  I think I said "one thing".  

Oh, and the iMac was cheaper, faster and had an SSD.  Overall, my productivity jumped.  Only some render jobs took longer, but that was more than made up for in general use uptick.  Now I have a Mac mini off to the side to help with heavy render jobs and BluRay burning and to serve as a backup if the iMac should fail.  Might add another this summer.

• Reply 57 of 154

Stopped by my shop yesterday...  they just received some stock 27s...  gives me hope 6that my BTO is coming soon...  maybe...

• Reply 58 of 154
    Stopped by my shop yesterday...  they just received some stock 27s...  gives me hope 6that my BTO is coming soon...  maybe...

It's been 8 days since I ordered. Still almost 2 to 3 weeks before it's slated to ship. Not enjoying the waiting.

PS: Only this week did Apple get an 21.5" iMac on their refurb site, and only today did 27" iMacs show up. They ship in 1 to 3 days. Note these are the 2011 models but they are a good value for the money. Certainly much faster than the 2010 13" MBP I'm using.
  • Reply 59 of 154

I have a 2011 model... that's why I not going completely crazy waiting.    But I WANT it.....  image

• Reply 60 of 154

Still no change on my order status.  It is January 22.  I ordered on November 31.  The shop said (that Apple said) that I would receive my order "in January".  Well, the countdown period is here; less than ten days to go, only seven business days...