Apple's 27" iMacs continue to face production issues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 154

I also received my iMac today! =D Happy Happy Joy Joy! Screen is huge. Delivery date was supposed to be after 4:30pm on Thurs. I came home for lunch hour from work and all of a sudden Mr FedEx is at my door! Huge box, I already know what it must be. I can't believe it's so soon!

Well, I tried to run the Apple test as mentioned above and my computer passed. I don't know about any other benchmark. I'll Solypsism do them.

My default brightness level is just below the half way point. Is this the way it should be? What is every one else running at?

• Reply 122 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I ran Geekbench 64-bit with the 8GB as 2x4GB, 16GB* (2x8GB) and 24GB (2x8GB, 2GB) RAM. The result was no difference in performance between any combination of RAM. I did verify that my 27" 3.2GHz Core-i5 iMac with 1GB GPU and 2x4GB RAM did ship with CAS 11 RAM and that the RAM I received from Newegg was CAS 9.

Unfortunately this was the first time I had ever used Migration Assistant so I when I ran into an issue with my new iMac's username setup being the same as on my MBP I deleted the screenshots and other data. Huge gaffe on my part.

Unless my method was flawed I don't see a need for a consumer to pay nearly 3x as much for lower latency RAM that doesn't show any marked improvement in performance.
  • Reply 123 of 154

Not the first time I've seen someone do a benchmark with added RAM and not seen any performance increase. I really think it's so overblown. People think they will get double the performance going from 8GB of RAM to 16GB and nothing could be further from the truth. It's why I ordered the 8GB config and why I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

• Reply 124 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    My default brightness level is just below the half way point. Is this the way it should be? What is every one else running at?

There is no ideal setting for everyone. Just set it at whatever is comfortable for you and your surroundings.

Not the first time I've seen someone do a benchmark with added RAM and not seen any performance increase. I really think it's so overblown. People think they will get double the performance going from 8GB of RAM to 16GB and nothing could be further from the truth. It's why I ordered the 8GB config and why I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

You totally misunderstood the point of the test, he's been talking about doing this for some time. The benchmark is not about quantity of RAM but the RAM latency, CAS 9 vs. CAS 11.

I've not heard anyone associate a doubling of RAM with a doubling of speed. I don't know where they get that from, except maybe from lying salesmen. It's nowhere nearly that simple. It really depends on how much you actually use. If you have enough RAM, then you don't need any more. But if you do not have enough RAM, your computer can really slow down when it runs low, because it pages memory out to drive to free up space.

The more applications, the more & bigger files, the more RAM you need for peak performance. Given how inexpensive RAM is now, 16GB hardly hurts, and if you use more than 8GB, it can help keep the computer at its peak. The excess RAM is either not used or becomes cache, keeping the computer as speedy as possible. Check Activity Monitor after you've been using the computer a while with a normal level of applications open.
  • Reply 125 of 154
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It depends on how much you actually use. The more applications, the more & bigger files, the more RAM you need for peak performance. Given how inexpensive RAM is now, 16GB hardly hurts, and if you use more than 8GB, it can help considerably. The excess RAM is either not used or becomes cache, keeping the computer as speedy as possible. Check Activity Monitor after you've been using the computer a while with a normal level of applications open.

Using VMWare I have a full Windows domain on my Mac with multiple servers and clients all working together, as well as Linux box using LDAP to connect to the domain. With my 8GB limit MBP I could only test 3 VMs at any one time and even then it was slow. I hope that with 32GB and the desktop Core CPU I'll reduce much of that lag and increase my maximum VM limit.

PS: I'll be returning this expensive RAM in favour of a more economical option.
  • Reply 126 of 154
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Using VMWare I have a full Windows domain on my Mac with multiple servers and clients all working together, as well as Linux box using LDAP to connect to the domain. With my 8GB limit MBP I could only test 3 VMs at any one time and even then it was slow. I hope that with 32GB and the desktop Core CPU I'll reduce much of that lag and increase my maximum VM limit.

PS: I'll be returning this expensive RAM in favour of a more economical option.

Sounds about right I have one Windows VM and do some CAD/CAM on it, some design work, plus some stuff on the Mac side. I have 24GB in my 2011, and I don't think it ever used more than 16GB.
  • Reply 127 of 154
    Off Topic: After my iMac is completely setup I'm going to wipe my MBP and try setting up the Fusion Drive with a 3 drives. 2 internal and 1 external. The internal SSD and HDD, and external SD Card as a security drive that will prevent the system from loading if that SD card is removed.. I'd like to see if this will cause any performance issues or if CoreStorage is intelligent enough to only use the SD card as a last resort. It might be a great way to keep the kids off the Mac when they are grounded.
  • Reply 128 of 154
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I also noticed there is a Kensington lock port on the back below the power adaptor plug. I thought I was going to have to loop a bike lock through the hole in the back.

I would expect a K. lock to be there. Well, if you cannot take the stand off a bikelock would've worked, but that'd be fugly. RAM latch looks very slick indeed.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Gotta love Ren & Stimpy!
  • Reply 129 of 154

Happy you got yours.

Sill waiting... 

• Reply 130 of 154

Should be any day now...  No way to check where it is so I can only wait for my shop to call.  For some reason I keep checking my phone to make sure I the ringer isn't set to manner mode... 

• Reply 131 of 154
    Geez, this will go down as the worst Order Experience ever for you, no doubt. I remember when I bought the 1st G5 when it came out: in a B&M store, I wanted the 80GB HDD upgraded to 2x250GB, so they did, installed OSX for me and I maxed out the RAM. But they did that afterwards and I found out 'the annoying way' when booting it up at home (store being 60km away) and only got the beep and the fans starting to kick in, making the fastest computer the loudest, a 747 inside my house. It was after 6 so I could only go back the following day. Good thing they were open on Saturdays, and have the right RAM on stock.

Man that sucked big time.
  • Reply 132 of 154

It finally arrived tonight.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Reply 133 of 154

Getting a new Mac is always something. But this time, this really is something!
  • Reply 134 of 154

I've very happy for you.

I was write something last night but I still haven't gotten use to y 27" iMac so everything is taking more time to use. I've never used a 27" display. I've used huge TVs in conference rooms (connected to Windows) but for the past 15 years it's been notebooks for me. Having to turn my head to see different parts of the screen is new to me.

I thought the Magic Trackpad would have made it the same as coming from a Mac notebook but I'm even finding my clicks less precise. I assume I'll get used to it in due time but might invest in the Magic Mouse. Anyone with an iMac have a preference and why?

PS: My 13' MBP crapped out on me while I was transferring my iTunes library. Would not boot into the OS. Jealous of the new Mac? Turns out my motherboard is going or the SATA cable is damaged. This is for the main 2.5" drive, not the OptiBay drive. This tells me it was a coincidence. Since i'm still under my extended AppleCare I can take it for repairs but first I'll remove the OptiBay just in case they want to site that as a problem even though they've never cared in the past. With any luck I get a refurb with a fresh battery.
  • Reply 135 of 154
    What a turn of events Sol.

1. I've never tried out that Magic Trackpad, only got the Magic Mouse with my MP. It's good, but far from Yes! Sometimes it catches unintentional touches on the side and zooms in and sometimes it would fire up Mission Control. I cannot stand MC, so was happy both gestures can be disabled in the prefs.

2. That's quite an extended AC you have their on your MBP; good that you got that. I never do, but when I ordered the 30" ACD when it was EOL-ed I got it with AC, even though I know they cannot replace it. Well, refurb perhaps, but I just hate to get the chance of a dead pixel and toss away a € 1799 screen.
  • Reply 136 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've very happy for you.

I was write something last night but I still haven't gotten use to y 27" iMac so everything is taking more time to use. I've never used a 27" display. I've used huge TVs in conference rooms (connected to Windows) but for the past 15 years it's been notebooks for me. Having to turn my head to see different parts of the screen is new to me.

I thought the Magic Trackpad would have made it the same as coming from a Mac notebook but I'm even finding my clicks less precise. I assume I'll get used to it in due time but might invest in the Magic Mouse. Anyone with an iMac have a preference and why?

PS: My 13' MBP crapped out on me while I was transferring my iTunes library. Would not boot into the OS. Jealous of the new Mac? Turns out my motherboard is going or the SATA cable is damaged. This is for the main 2.5" drive, not the OptiBay drive. This tells me it was a coincidence. Since i'm still under my extended AppleCare I can take it for repairs but first I'll remove the OptiBay just in case they want to site that as a problem even though they've never cared in the past. With any luck I get a refurb with a fresh battery.

Interesting about the screen space.  I went from a 23 to a 27 two years ago and wow, could never dream of going back.  Had a couple of notebooks, including the 11" MBA which felt small, small, small but most of the time I am on my desktop, so the increase was more rewarding than a paradigm shift.

The trackpad... I think you'll get used to it.  I find it actually pretty accurate.  But, I must admit I use a Wacom tablet in place of a mouse, and the trackpad on my left hand as an auxiliary for scrolling, switching screens, etc (I try to reduce strain on my right wrist if at all possible; also have a ShuttlePro on the left).  Sometimes, it serves as primary input device.

Have had an hour with my new machine and am pretty happy.  The screen is great and the overall speed is faster than the old 2011 (a four minute, thirty-five second render job finished in three minutes fifty seconds; that will add up quickly of a month).

The one thing I have to get used to: the US keyboard.  I live in Japan and have ordered Japanese keyboards for years.  This time around, as I have several keyboards already, I decided to try a US version again.  It is different.  The Return key is smaller and the Space bar is bigger, and much noisier.  A few characters are also in different locations so I have made a couple of typos.  Nothing major but it is interesting to bump in to a thing or two.

• Reply 137 of 154
    Interesting about the screen space.  I went from a 23 to a 27 two years ago and wow, could never dream of going back.

I have a 30" at home, and sometimes when behind someone else's screen, which is always smaller, I actually don't mind it. Which is strange, because they're really small by comparison. Maybe it's just me looking at the content.
    The screen is great

Is it true that this screen is way less glossy than the 2010, 2011 screens? I found those to be too reflective, and would hate to see my matte screen go bad.
    The one thing I have to get used to: the US keyboard.

I've done quite a bit of IT support throughout Europe, and therefore had to deal with azerty & qwertz keyboards, with ShiftLock and all that. Takes getting used to, but always became a non issue.
  • Reply 138 of 154
    philboogie wrote: »
    I have a 30" at home, and sometimes when behind someone else's screen, which is always smaller, I actually don't mind it. Which is strange, because they're really small by comparison. Maybe it's just me looking at the content.
    Is it true that this screen is way less glossy than the 2010, 2011 screens? I found those to be too reflective, and would hate to see my matte screen go bad.

By all accounts, it's quite an improvement. The surface has a much lower reflectivity, and laminating the glass cuts out two reflective surfaces.
  • Reply 139 of 154
    By all accounts, it's quite good. The surface has a much lower reflectivity, and laminating the glass cuts out two reflective surfaces.

That's good news then; at least I don't have to switch to a different brand in case mine dies. Though the more I'm getting into photography, the more I'm inclined to choose a 10-bit screen. Still, your info is good to know.
  • Reply 140 of 154
    By all accounts, it's quite an improvement. The surface has a much lower reflectivity, and laminating the glass cuts out two reflective surfaces.

Anecdote Time: During this week's Genius appointment for my MBP I asked about the repairability of the new iMacs and if that glued on display is making it more difficult for them. She had already had the training for it but hadn't repaired any at this time but she stated with certainty that the new models are better than the previous models.

They use an actual pizza cutter to cut the adhesive between the glass and case on three sides, then lift the display up with the pivot being the uncut edge resting on the aluminum lip. When it's up high enough they discount a couple cables and then use the pizza cutter on the inside to finish cutting the adhesive.

To reapply the panel they have to first clean all adhesive from the casing and glass before applying new adhesive on 4 sides.

This seems like it would be more of a pain then simply using suction cups to remove a magnetically attached glass panel, right? Well in that sense it is but the problem with the old models is that 2mm gap between the display and glass. They have to clean both perfectly and then put it back in place without a single spec of dust caught inside. Apparently this is harder than it seems as she said it usually takes a few tries and is very frustrating and stressful.