Apple's 27" iMacs continue to face production issues

Comments

• Reply 81 of 154

January 29 has come and gone.  Another day and still no news.

It is beginning to look like "January" won't happen.  The shop has always gotten a shipping notice about three days before it arrives; nothing yet.  Only if there si a secret Santa transport on its way...

Come on, Apple.  At least communicate.  

• Reply 82 of 154

Where oh where is my iMac

I would love to know if it will be another week.  Another two.  Whatever. 

• Reply 83 of 154

It's after 5:00pm on January 30.  Still no update.

The chance of a January delivery is looking very, very slim.

Bummer.

• Reply 84 of 154
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I ordered the iPhone 5 the day it was announced, well, available for order her in the NL. Was going to take 4 weeks. Wow, that's the longest wait I ever had for an Apple product (well, ok, the new Mac Pro was also...different story as that wasn't announced). Here I was, waiting for the 5, and exactly like you I was loosing hope. I got an email from Apple and UPS the day before the deadline.

Come to think of it, they should've sent you word on the delay, because it doesn't look like...scrap that, 31 days. And they said Januari, no? So technically it's still feasible.
  • Reply 85 of 154

Ahh, optimism!

Feasible, possibly.  Last time I ordered through this shop, though, it took several days for me to receive the machine after it was shipped.  So, it could ship tomorrow and that would still be January...

- - - - -

Checked another site where lots of people are posting delivery status, etc.  Lots of CTOs seem to be going out this week, so again there is hope that mine is coming soon.

People who ordered after Christmas have had their orders updated to preparing for shipment/shipped.

• Reply 86 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ahh, optimism!

Feasible, possibly.  Last time I ordered through this shop, though, it took several days for me to receive the machine after it was shipped.  So, it could ship tomorrow and that would still be January...

- - - - -

Checked another site where lots of people are posting delivery status, etc.  Lots of CTOs seem to be going out this week, so again there is hope that mine is coming soon.

People who ordered after Christmas have had their orders updated to preparing for shipment/shipped.

Good luck.

Tomorrow will be the 21st day since I ordered. Still in processing but they said 3-4 weeks before shipping which means my arrival dates were given as Feb 8-15th.
  • Reply 87 of 154

Ordered November 30, was told it would be delivered in January.

Well, the last business day of January has come to a close and there is no update on my order.

Of course, no comment from Apple regarding the order. The guy at my shop was incredibly embarrassed that they had failed to fulfill on their promised delivery window. At least for their resellers' sake I think Apple could give some updates, because some of these people work very hard to sell and support Apple goods; it's sad to see them unable to give feedback to their customers.

I peruse the net and see other people getting theirs, including one guy who ordered two days after Christmas, almost four weeks after I ordered. Same configuration.  And lots of other 27s of various configurations being delivered this week that were ordered in early January.

The rollout certainly does not seem to be being conducted on a first order, first served basis.  Nor is there any explanation for the delay.

This was not Apple's best rollout.

Rant over.

• Reply 88 of 154
    Ordered November 30, was told it would be delivered in January.

Well, the last business day of January has come to a close and there is no update on my order.  

Ouch, that sucks. And is not good from Apple. I understand their secrecy policy, but there's also a customers need to get updates on the status of their order.
  • Reply 89 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ouch, that sucks. And is not good from Apple. I understand their secrecy policy, but there's also a customers need to get updates on the status of their order. I would've left the rest of your initial post in there...

Just to be doubly sure, I will slip by the shop just before they close tonight.  

• Reply 90 of 154

Finally some action!

My order now shows "Preparing for shipment"!  

Missed the January delivery, but there was action in January, albeit right at the bell.

Shouldn't be too long now.

I hope!

• Reply 91 of 154
    Bergermeister replied to this thread on January 31, 4:17 am

Isn't that where Americans say: "too close for comfort"?

How about you Solipsism?
  • Reply 92 of 154

Quote:

Isn't that where Americans say: "too close for comfort"?

How about you Solipsism?

It was quite in to the late afternoon/evening in Asia (where I live and the machines ship from) on the 31st.

• Reply 93 of 154
    Finally some action!

My order now shows "Preparing for shipment"!  

Missed the January delivery, but there was action in January, albeit right at the bell.

Shouldn't be too long now.

I hope!
    philboogie wrote: »
    How about you Solipsism?

I am honestly glad you now show preparing for shipment before I did.

This morning (1.5 hours before this date stamp) I received an email with a tracking number from Apple. My delivery date is slated for February 6 with an original date of Feb 8 to the 15th.

PS: If waiting for a $2500 computer is the most upsetting thing in our lives we are doing pretty well for ourselves.

edit: Just ordered my 32GB of 1600MHz DDR3 CAS9 RAM from Newegg.
  • Reply 94 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: If waiting for a $2500 computer is the most upsetting things in our lives we are doing pretty well for ourselves.

True.

• Reply 95 of 154

My last order update was premature.  They said another order went straight to preparing for shipment on the 30th; I thought that was mine.  

My order was in Processing on January 29 or 30.

It changed to preparing for shipment on February 1st.  According to the shop tonight, this means it will ship Monday or Tuesday (usually) and should arrive Friday Feb 9 or thereabouts. 

Ugh and good.  Finally I have a a rough timetable.

This was not the smoothest of rollouts, nor the fairest. 

• Reply 96 of 154
    This was not the smoothest of rollouts, nor the fairest. 

That is not good. They are supposed to be the best in this / the field, but a rollout like this stands out. And not in a good way, obviously. Also goes for first come, first served. That even seems odd to have happened at all. Well, at least Solipsism got his notification after you, so that was fair.

Ok, so, about a week. Well, I'd prepare my current Mac; clean out old junk, tidy stuff up in the finder and such. Enjoy it when you have it booting up. Nee, before: The Unpacking Experience!
  • Reply 97 of 154

Quote:

Ok, so, about a week. Well, I'd prepare my current Mac; clean out old junk, tidy stuff up in the finder and such. Enjoy it when you have it booting up. Nee, before: The Unpacking Experience!

The "old" iMac has been ready since January 1!  Actually, maybe since the day I placed my order...    image

Only problem is the "ld" iMac had an SSD and HD whereas the new one "just" has a Fusion Drive.  The former is split, the latter is single.  I'll migrate the SSD and then drag and drop the HD stuff, I guess.

This is the first time I will be able to use TB for target mode, so it will nice to see how fast it is!  The it's off to speed comparisons but my old machine has 8GB RAM and the new one 16, so it might not actually be a fair test (two major apps benefit from RAM)!

• Reply 98 of 154
    Mine is in Alaska at this point. Just a hop through Canada and then down two states to get to me. Slated for Wednesday but I hope I get it sooner. CAS 9 RAM from Newegg arrived today.
  • Reply 99 of 154
    This is the first time I will be able to use TB for target mode, so it will nice to see how fast it is!

Seeing files being copied over in TDM is something else!
    solipsismx wrote: »
    CAS 9 RAM from Newegg arrived today.

I was going to ask if you made sure that RAM would be in your possession before the iMac, so good to read this. Then again, the new iMac wouldn't be useless without it - lol.

Enjoy gents! I might just read your Unpacking Experience right here.
  • Reply 100 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mine is in Alaska at this point. Just a hop through Canada and then down two states to get to me. Slated for Wednesday but I hope I get it sooner. CAS 9 RAM from Newegg arrived today.

Coming from a MBP that is a couple of years back you are in for a royal treat, indeed.  

I'm just moving up from a 2011 iMac, so the difference probably won't be so dramatic, except for the screen, of course.  I am hoping that there will be a good boost to rendering power; my new 20112 Mac mini rivals the 2011 iMac despite being very different in specs.  As the 2012 iMac is new architecture, it could show a good speed boost.

I have a FW800 drive serving as a Time Machine disk.  The new iMac doesn't have FW800 so I will be using an adapter.  It will be interesting to see if it will work chained to my other TB disks or if I will have to connect it directly to a TB port...