Apple's 27" iMacs continue to face production issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Still no change on my order status.  It is January 22.  I ordered on November 31.  The shop said (that Apple said) that I would receive my order "in January".  Well, the countdown period is here; less than ten days to go, only seven business days...

You ordered 5 weeks before I did. I hope you get yours first for the sake of fairness but OMG I WANT MINE NOW.
  • Reply 62 of 154
    It's worth the wait everyone. AWESOME AWESOME machine I ordered mine Christmas Day ang got it 1/17. Apple rocks - PERIOD
  • Reply 63 of 154

No change.  My shop is embarrassed and apologized when I went in today (Japanese manners), despite it not being their fault.  They can't even give me any information on my order, whether it is being processed or what.  No shipping estimate.  They have no idea.

The Apple online store shows 3-4 weeks for a new CTO order... and has since last week.

I think that other distribution points were given lower priority than the Apple Stores, regardless of order of order.

• Reply 64 of 154
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No change.

Strange how one can feel sorry for someone without ever having met them. Hang in there. You too Solipsism, and everyone still waiting.
  • Reply 65 of 154
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Strange how one can feel sorry for someone without ever having met them. Hang in there. You too Solipsism, and everyone still waiting.

In the immortal words of Marge Simpson: "there, there".
  • Reply 66 of 154
    jeffdm wrote: »
    In the immortal words of Marge Simpson: "there, there".

That reminds me of this scene from The Big Bang Theory.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 67 of 154

Out evidence of shipments over the past few days I've taken.

Quality [url=http://www.motorlicious.co.uk/p0/boot-protectors-liners/413576.htm]Car Boot Liners UK[/url] to protect your vehicle.

• Reply 68 of 154

I feel better now.  Thanks.

I'm sure we could write a yarn based on the Hee Haw song of old...

Where oh where is my iMac 

Why did Apple not ship it out yet

. . 

• Reply 69 of 154
    Where oh where is my iMac 
    Why did Apple not ship it out yet
    . . 

Thanks for the laughs. Nice sig as well!

Commas; it's the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack, off a horse," and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse."
  • Reply 70 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Commas; it's the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack, off a horse," and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse."

Happy horse?

Spoken versus written (or the transcription of speech) language can cause problems!

A typo is one thing; a recurring error is something else.  There are many recurring errors on the net.

Another one that gets me is the widespread misuse of "then" and "than".  Even Fox News, CNN, BBC and the New York Times have had this appear on their pages.  [Years ago I had a hobby of sending corrections to CNN but gave up after the articles weren't updated even weeks later.  In one article, I recall finding over ten errors.]

"It's bigger then an orange." >>  where "then" should be "than"

• Reply 71 of 154
    philboogie wrote: »

Happy horse?

Spoken versus written (or the transcription of speech) language can cause problems!

A typo is one thing; a recurring error is something else.  There are many recurring errors on the net.

Another one that gets me is the widespread misuse of "then" and "than".  Even Fox News, CNN, BBC and the New York Times have had this appear on their pages.  [Years ago I had a hobby of sending corrections to CNN but gave up after the articles weren't updated even weeks later.  In one article, I recall finding over ten errors.]

"It's bigger then an orange." >>  where "then" should be "than"

Annoying, isn't it? I also see it. Many times too instead of two or to. Their instead of there. Oh well, could also be autocorrupt on these smartphones. There are websites dedicated to that stuff:
    http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com
  • Reply 72 of 154

My ares waitinging four I's newester iMacs.  That ams knot hear end we's darn't no's were thats being.

- - - - -

The damage being done to the English language (and others, likely) by the net is incredible.  I saw somewhere that a school allowed students to submit essays that included net shorthand.

Man that would be crazy to grade.

WWTWTDT?  PBTHNIHTKTSASTJGU.  ID.  TWIGC!  

OMG,ISN!

- - - - -

This is what happens to the brain when you have to wait two months to get a new machine!

• Reply 73 of 154
    My ares waitinging four I's newester iMacs.  That ams knot hear end we's darn't no's were thats being.

- - - - -

The damage being done to the English language (and others, likely) by the net is incredible.  I saw somewhere that a school allowed students to submit essays that included net shorthand.

Man that would be crazy to grade.

WWTWTDT?  PBTHNIHTKTSASTJGU.  ID.  TWIGC!  

OMG,ISN!

- - - - -
    This is what happens to the brain when you have to wait two months to get a new machine!

I'm all for the evolution of language but communication still needs to be key or the point is moot. I don't understand the people that will come to a forum such as this one, sign up, and make a comment without any consideration for attempting to properly communicate. And by properly communicate I mean address the audience to which they are writing.

Sometimes these people will later claim they don't care if their point is read, understood, or if others agree with but then why write it on a public forum. I certainly don't expect anyone else to see the world in the way I do but I definitely give 100% when trying to communicate a thought or idea.

When I make a persuasive argument my goal is to persuade one or more people that my point has merit but the trick to making a persuasive argument is to understand the other person's point of view.

I'm a big fan of modern shorthand. It's efficient but it's not appropriate for all environments. I'm not going to use it on a résumé/CV but I will use it where appropriate. I don't think the classroom is appropriate as I don't see how it increases one's education or adde to their chances in the job market.

It also changes fairly quickly. Did you know that acronyms and initialisms are a 20th century phenomenon. I believe the change happened when long range forms of communications occurred at the end of the 19th century and then fueled by World Wars.

This is a great video:

[VIDEO]

Transcript:
    Spoiler:
  • Reply 74 of 154
    solipsismx wrote: »

I actually have nothing to add, other than thank you both for the good laughs and good post. from both of you. (Gotta love Stephen Fry; I've seen that video and I think he's great.)
  • Reply 75 of 154
    jim wjim w Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'd argue the other way. A lot of users that used to require tower computers just don't anymore, and that diminishes the incentive to continually refresh the model. For example, graphic design used to be a staple customer for the Apple towers, now they can just get iMacs because they're more than capable enough and they don't need add-in cards anymore. The video editing and heavy compute/scientific market might not be enough to hold down its own model on an annual refresh cycle.

Well, it can certainly be enough to require a refresh more often than every three and a half years! Imagine if Apple refreshed every product that infrequently. The professional market is very competitive. The 2012 Mac Pro "refresh" was not one at all. I bought my 5,1 Mac Pro in mid 2010. A new one is not expected until late 2013, if then. The technology is ancient in computer advancement years. 

• Reply 76 of 154
    My iMac with upgraded CPU and hdd just shipped. Trouble is I ordered it in early December and the ETA is February. Announced in October, available to order in December, shipping in (very late) January and arriving in February. Over an entire financial quarter from announcement to delivery. Not good.
  • Reply 77 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm all for the evolution of language but communication still needs to be key or the point is moot. I don't understand the people that will come to a forum such as this one, sign up, and make a comment without any consideration for attempting to properly communicate. And by properly communicate I mean address the audience to which they are writing.

Sometimes these people will later claim they don't care if their point is read, understood, or if others agree with but then why write it on a public forum. I certainly don't expect anyone else to see the world in the way I do but I definitely give 100% when trying to communicate a thought or idea.

When I make a persuasive argument my goal is to persuade one or more people that my point has merit but the trick to making a persuasive argument is to understand the other person's point of view.

I'm a big fan of modern shorthand. It's efficient but it's not appropriate for all environments. I'm not going to use it on a résumé/CV but I will use it where appropriate. I don't think the classroom is appropriate as I don't see how it increases one's education or adde to their chances in the job market.

It also changes fairly quickly. Did you know that acronyms and initialisms are a 20th century phenomenon. I believe the change happened when long range forms of communications occurred at the end of the 19th century and then fueled by World Wars.

Language is a living beast.  It grows and changes all the time, moving forward and possibly dropping backward, sometimes through the great genius and effort of the likes of Shakespeare, sometimes through the more casual (even lazy? - but that does not make it wrong) efforts of the more common person.  What I find, though, on the net, is simply a lot of lack of caring and a rush to produce, which results in often garbled blobs of pixels that occasionally lack much meaning, or where the garbling of the actual presentation detracts from the material being presented.  There is also the anonymity which permits a stretching or even distortion of our message and often results in a manner which is likely more informed-seeming, negative and critical than the writer actually is in person.  The instantaneousness of it all also sometimes results in what can best be described as a transcription of casual banter, which has not been common till now and may, outside of the net, often be unwarranted or unwanted.  Can you imagine if someone were to transcribe the endless chatter in some Joe's home and you were to read it?  Unless Joe lived in a monastery, it would likely be quite boring to someone outside of his immediate family.  If he lived in a monastery, it would be refreshingly short!

Anyway, we have delightful transgressed from the topic at hand, possibly boring the heck out of people reading this thread, perhaps not.  They may be hesitating to write, WTHAYGGTSTHU?????

- - - -

Today was Saturday the 26th.  Still no word from my shop.  

• Reply 78 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

My iMac with upgraded CPU and hdd just shipped. Trouble is I ordered it in early December and the ETA is February. Announced in October, available to order in December, shipping in (very late) January and arriving in February. Over an entire financial quarter from announcement to delivery. Not good.

Not their best, I will agree.

If the model is refreshed in June, many will feel pretty irritated.

• Reply 79 of 154

Monday, January 28.  Three days to go for my promised delivery of "January".  

Stopped by the shop again.  

Again, no news regarding my order.  None.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada. They have heard nothing, repeat nothing from Apple.  Not even that it is in processing.

The staff is almost embarrassed to talk to me and apologized five times.

• Reply 80 of 154
    Monday, January 28.  Three days to go for my promised delivery of "January".  

Stopped by the shop again.  

Again, no news regarding my order.  None.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada. They have heard nothing, repeat nothing from Apple.  Not even that it is in processing.

The staff is almost embarrassed to talk to me and apologized five times.

This is pretty horrible. I'm hating my 3-4 week wait but I am still well within the agreed timeframe and don't doubt they'll get to me on time. I hope you get word soon.