John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    taniwha wrote: »

You sound like an american through and through...... BLAH BLAH......

He might be. But that doesn't mean he's wrong and you're right. In fact, it's the opposite. Your understanding and analysis of everything that makes Apple tick is exactly a$$-backwards.
  • Reply 42 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    OMG . John Scully comments on Apple? .. enough said. I never believed the Knowledge Navigator was his idea either.
  • Reply 43 of 143

"How is THIS not an already available CHEAP iPhone?"

You should have included what the "**" refers to. maybe on a NEW 2YR contract? which is not good for PAYG customers

• Reply 44 of 143
    The fastest growing segment for telecom companies is the prepaid plans.... It's also the least profitable for them. Good! They charge too much as it is.

I don't have a problem with Apple selling a less expensive product. There are ~7 billion people on the planet and ~6 billion don't have a smart phone. Go get em, Apple! :)
  • Reply 45 of 143
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Considered the source....moved on.

• Reply 46 of 143
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 47 of 143

Tim just put an immediate halt on any further research and development into a cheap iPhone for emerging markets.

• Reply 48 of 143

Aren't the previous 2 models of the iPhone the cheap versions?

• Reply 49 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I think everyone is overlooking a market equally important to "emerging markets"...  kids...

More and more kids 12-16 are getting phones, and most parents don't want to put $600 devices in their hands.  This is also about producing a new gateway drug.

The kids get their parent's 'old' iPhones when their parents upgrade to the newest model.

• Reply 50 of 143
    Only because he's a former CEO is he any kind of news. Since the press don't have any facts to draw from, they pick former Apple employees to get their two cents worth.
  • Reply 51 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Because one-size-fits-all doesn't.

The worst thing about Sculley's remark is its obviousness.

Apple doesn't sell just one type of computer, and sooner or later they'll start diversifying their phones as well.

Apple is too big and too smart to cede so much of the market to competitors.  I'm surprised so many here underestimate Apple's scope.

Apple also needs to build a netbook then to compete with the cheap laptops. Apple will enter markets where it expects to make a profit.

• Reply 52 of 143

Speechless. This IDIOT!!! Thanks He Knows What Apple NEEDS. WHY was he interviewed in the first place? To get 15 seconds of fame? Well, Sorry John but that's Woz's job.

• Reply 53 of 143
    taniwha wrote: »

You sound like an american through and through. The culture of spending more that they can really afford is what got the US economy in the shitbox its in at the moment. "Everything on credit" is just fine till you have to pay the bill, and you DO have to pay the bills. I see it on AI consistently. People talk about "free iphones" as if it's something that exists. Remember "there's NO FREE LUNCH". So seducing people to buy hi-tech toys that the can't afford is like selling crack on the street-corner.

Like it or not, Apple is a commodity producer. Their products are toys. Nice toys perhaps. They are no the slightest bit "elite" or exclusive. There is nothing exclusive about having a toy that every kid on the block has. That's the  difference between Ferrari and Porsche, or perhaps Rolls-Royce and Cadillac (or whatever). It's the difference between a suite "off the hook" and a tailored suit.  So if they want to be "elite" and "exclusive" then they should simply increase the price of the Iphone ... say 100 x, so that only the rich can afford it. In that segment, performance and tech doesn't matter a hoot. Exclusivity and "style" are where its at. A rolex oyster is expensive, but by no means the "best" watch on the market.

So it's Apple's call. If they want to be a commodity, then that's fine. Its money in the bank. But they have already lost the race in terms of being "cutting edge tech", and sure as hell have lost their "exclusivity".

Not sure if you mean this as an insult to the United States or not. Do you mean buying more than you can afford as being an American ideal? As opposed to Greece, Ireland, Italy, or Spain? Seems more of a European idea to me.
  • Reply 54 of 143

Since Scully is saying this, it's probably safe to assume that a cheap iPhone would be a really fu[king bad idea.

• Reply 55 of 143

The sheer UNITY of response here is absolutely tremendous. What a way to start a day. 

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

You should have included what the "**" refers to. maybe on a NEW 2YR contract? which is not good for PAYG customers

The iPhone 4 on PAYG is only about $200, last I saw.

• Reply 56 of 143
    Since when did Sculley become an expert on Apple? The idiot ran the company into the ground . He should shut up and stick to selling sugar water.

• Reply 57 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jdsonice wrote: »
    Since when did Sculley become an expert on Apple? The idiot ran the company into the ground . He should shut up and stick to selling sugar water.

His only claim to fame is he managed to ride the back of Steve's: 'Apple, Adobe, Aldus DTP revolution' for a few years before he nearly killed the horse.
  • Reply 58 of 143
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

John Sculley said... *rolls eyes*

• Reply 59 of 143
    technarchy wrote: »
    I'm more interested in what Gil Amelio has to say...

Right on. Bloomberg should have interviewed the CEO who brought Steve Jobs back to Apple, not the CEO who fired him.
  • Reply 60 of 143
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    If I were Tim Cook, I would meet with Sculley every month to make sure Apple is doing the opposite of anything Sculley thinks Apple should be doing.