iOS 6.1 sees 22% adoption in less than two days, could be fastest ever

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

oei, that's an appalling article:

"Apple refuses to comment" - no s..t Sherlock

"Without further ado, here's what we've heard" - just so they didn't say any of this; they only heard others saying this. Got it!

"Improved Rear Camera" - Ya think?

"KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo -- one of the best at the business at predicting Apple’s product pipeline" TS can 'citation needed' here

"one particularly strong rumor" - I don't even know what that means

"The Photographer's Timer" <div class="UserSpoiler"><div class="SpoilerTitle">Spoiler: </div><div class="SpoilerReveal"></div><div class="SpoilerText">Traditionally, self-timing cameras are used to take pictures of a big group, or a self-portrait. But in Apple's self-timer, a patent granted March 8, the iDevice's camera can identify the photographer and ask if they want to be in the picture. At that point, the iPhone will simply wait until it detects the photographer's face in the viewfinder before it automatically snaps a photo. If you are the "photographer" who also wants to be in the picture, the iPhone will simply wait until it detects your face to take the picture.</div></div> - this one I like, which doesn't mean anything. But they reference a patent which makes this particular piece a good one because they provide 'proof'. Well, at least to their theory <div class="UserSpoiler"><div class="SpoilerTitle">Spoiler: </div><div class="SpoilerReveal"></div><div class="SpoilerText">1000</div></div>
    "IGZO Display: Apple has reportedly invested a great deal of time, energy and money into display technology, likely to be used for its next-gen iPad and iPhone, including this year's iPhone 5S or 6" - Wow. Ok. Erhm, 'time' how would you know?, 'money' ok, we can see that from earnings reports, and notes given by the BoD/CEO, but is that ever broken down to the specific tech they are investing in? I thought only the area. And then to say it's 'likely used in the next version' yeah keep on repeating that; might be true some day.

"In late December, DigiTimes and Apple analyst Horace Dediu both mentioned Apple’s alleged investment in the ultra-thin IGZO displays produced by Sharp, predicting the inclusion of the technology in Apple’s next batch of iOS devices" - well, he turned out to be wrong, such is life.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why go to the Guardian to get old AppAnnie graph links? Today's AppAnnie blog article is here. The title? The Rise of Google Play

http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-january-2013/?utm_source=appannie&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=c00063

Don't tell me that you're talking about percentage-wise, like people who has $10 revenues will be 100% on the rise on the previous revenue of $5.00? :)

• Reply 63 of 95

I think people upgrade on iOS so much so fast because they simply hate the red circle on the Settings app.

• Reply 64 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Don't tell me that you're talking about percentage-wise, like people who has $10 revenues will be 100% on the rise on the previous revenue of $5.00? :)

I'm sure you read the same article I did. Certainly not Apple's lofty numbers but even you would have to admit that doubling revenues in a single quarter is probably an indication that Google Play's app marketing efforts are finally seeing some significant success, right?

• Reply 65 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I still think the first part is true (developers favoring iOS). Ask Eric Schmidt how fast it's changing since he predicted back in Dec 2011 that Android would be the preferred platform for developers by June 2012. Here we are a year later and his prediction still hasn't come true.

Nobody I know is planning on devoting any time to Android. They aren't fooled by the "gazillion" activations per day since everyone knows devices like the GS3 represent a small portion of the market. Many Android devices sold (even today) are low end and still ship with Gingerbread. In 2013 brand new phones are being sold with Gingerbread. Ridiculous.

Schmidt was partially right. When Android market share passes iOS then developer interest will also go with it. But developers aren't concerned with "total market share" - they're concerned with how many devices can capably run their Apps.

Developers will create apps on Android before iOS only when you can make more money on Android but that will be really hard. Not when iOS users are enthusiastic like this. Even though Android has like 3 times install base in UK when BBC developed Olympic apps it turned out the download on iOS is almost three times the downloads on Android. This data is from BBC executive itself, no intermediate researchers required. Datas like this make it hard to develop mainly for Android unless you're a fanboy or you want to champion an open platform.

But of course if Apple sleeps on the wheel anything can happen.

• Reply 66 of 95

Quote:

I'm sure you read the same article I did. Certainly not Apple's lofty numbers but even you would have to admit that doubling revenues in a single quarter is probably an indication that Google Play's app marketing efforts are finally seeing some significant success, right?

Why beat around the bush about doubling this triple that? Why don't you lay on the table the number from Google Play and the number from the App Store size by size? Isn't that easier, and clearer?

• Reply 67 of 95
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Developers will create apps on Android before iOS only when you can make more money on Android but that will be really hard. Not when iOS users are enthusiastic like this. Even though Android has like 3 times install base in UK when BBC developed Olympic apps it turned out the download on iOS is almost three times the downloads on Android. This data is from BBC executive itself, no intermediate researchers required. Datas like this make it hard to develop mainly for Android unless you're a fanboy or you want to champion an open platform.
    But of course if Apple sleeps on the wheel anything can happen.
    The easiest way to make money on Android is by creating malware. Thanks to Java-like architecture, anyone can decompile any .apk, recompile with malware and resubmit to Google Play under different account.
  • Reply 68 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    You're right... running a software update and installing a patch is nothing. But tell that to the 47% of Android users who are currently stuck on Gingerbread (which came out over 2 years ago)

The following pie chart is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Google Play within a 14-day period ending on January 3, 2013.

Almost half of the Android phones on the planet simply CANNOT run a software update and install a patch to get the newest version.

And that's why Apple's adoption rates are news!

We're talking about almost half of the Android phones out there still running Gingerbread... and you think it's by choice?

Think of all those cheap $100 unlocked phones sold across the globe. They don't come with anything higher than Gingerbread and will never receive any updates.

There are a million new Android phones activated every day... and half of them are stuck with a 2 year old OS. That's what's happening...

It's not just cheap $100 unlocked phones that can't be upgraded. In my household, we've owned at least 4 or 5 Android phones from Motorola and Samsung - and NONE of them ever had an upgrade available. When you contact the vendor, they say that it might be available at some time in the future, so check back soon.

The problem is one of fragmentation. Too many different phones and none of them have enough volume to justify the time and expense required for the phone manufacturer and the carriers to create and test an upgrade. That's the downside of having 50,000 different phones available on Android. Support sucks.
  • Reply 69 of 95

Quote:

Why beat around the bush about doubling this triple that? Why don't you lay on the table the number from Google Play and the number from the App Store size by size? Isn't that easier, and clearer?

It's all listed more clearly than I could possibly restate it in the App Annie article. Rather than introduce confusion by trying to re-word a well written blog, read the original.

http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-january-2013/?utm_source=appannie&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=c00063#note1

EDIT: Just for giggles Matrix, what would be your revenue projections for the two app stores one year from now, based on the graphs at App Annie?

• Reply 70 of 95
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

It's all listed more clearly than I could possibly restate it in the App Annie article. Rather than introduce confusion by trying to re-word a well written blog, read the original.

http://blog.appannie.com/app-annie-index-january-2013/?utm_source=appannie&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=c00063#note1

EDIT: Just for giggles Matrix, what would be your revenue projections for the two app stores one year from now, based on the graphs at App Annie?

You can't make sensible revenue projections for Google Play based on that data. App Annie themselves indicate that most of the growth took place in South Korea and Japan, both atypical markets. South Korea is obviously skewed because it's Samsung's home country. Furthermore, if Samsung forks Android and sets up their own market, which, from a business perspective would be the wisest thing for them to do, they don't need Google at this point, those numbers will crash there. Japan has always been a gadget freak society (remember the days of Japanese feature phones that had everything but the kitchen sink thrown in and which weren't sold anywhere else?) so it's not surprising that they might be buying Android phones simply because they are freaky gadgets.

But neither of these countries is going to make Google Play a success on their own, and the gains there are shaky at best. While I know you have to wring a silver lining out of every bit of Google news, no matter how weak it is, this is mere aluminum foil.

• Reply 71 of 95
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

47.6% are still on all of Android version 2.3. The last Gingerbread update was released 2 years ago.

It's been 10 months since the very last ICS update and yet version 4.0.x still totals only 9%. All of Jelly Bean — not just the latest point update from November 27, 2012 — only totals 1.2%.

This has to be rough on developers that are tying to actually make a good product.

100% of all original iPad owners are not on iOS6

• Reply 72 of 95
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You can't make sensible revenue projections for Google Play based on that data. App Annie themselves indicate that most of the growth took place in South Korea and Japan, both atypical markets. South Korea is obviously skewed because it's Samsung's home country.

App Annie isn't the only one saying this. Just saying. I have no idea where to get the truth from while searching the internet. Perhaps I should Google that.

• Reply 73 of 95
    jfanning wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    47.6% are still on all of Android version 2.3. The last Gingerbread update was released 2 years ago.

It's been 10 months since the very last ICS update and yet version 4.0.x still totals only 9%. All of Jelly Bean — not just the latest point update from November 27, 2012 — only totals 1.2%.

You might want to double check your numbers, ICS is at 29.1%, JB 4.1 is the 9%, JB 4.2 is 1.2% (so 10.2% for all of JB)

A link to contradict someone's post would help. Not that the truth is to be found on the internet, but at least we can discuss which source is better over the other. Bit like Windows is a better OS than anything else, since it has a install base of ? 90%.
  • Reply 74 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

A link to contradict someone's post would help. Not that the truth is to be found on the internet, but at least we can discuss which source is better over the other. Bit like Windows is a better OS than anything else, since it has a install base of ? 90%.

That link is here. Soli just misread the data, as I'm sure he already noticed:

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

40% of Android devices were on a 4.x build according to the chart. A new one should post tomorrow. I personally suspect a 5-8% increase, perhaps even approaching 50% of all Android devices now running 4.x. It's really not as fragmented as it once was even as little as a year ago.

• Reply 75 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

App Annie isn't the only one saying this. Just saying. I have no idea where to get the truth from while searching the internet. Perhaps I should Google that.

Maybe you should work on reading comprehension. I didn't dispute whether App Annie's numbers were correct or not, so it's somewhat irrelevant to my point whether other sites agree with them or not. In fact, I accepted their data for the purposes of this discussion, including the part about Google Play's growth being mostly in atypical markets that aren't representative of a trend, and aren't a solid foundation for growth. 

• Reply 76 of 95
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That link is here.

Thanks for that.

Interesting to see the most common display size is 'normal' (not S, L, XL)

Good to read that it's way less fragmented; I certainly would hope developers can earn a living, heck, get rich, from App Stores.
  • Reply 77 of 95

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

100% of all original iPad owners are not on iOS6

100% of us make up roughly whocares% of the installed base. It's time to move on, but if you think the very first Android phone deserves the newest software, take it up with the developers.

• Reply 78 of 95
    anonymouse wrote: »
    In fact, I accepted their data for the purposes of this discussion, including the part about Google Play's growth being mostly in atypical markets that aren't representative of a trend, and aren't a solid foundation for growth. 

Re-read your post, and you're right: it didn't sink in earlier - my bad, sorry.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That link is here. Soli just misread the data, as I'm sure he already noticed:
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

40% of Android devices were on a 4.x build according to the chart. A new one should post tomorrow. I personally suspect a 5-8% increase, perhaps even approaching 50% of all Android devices now running 4.x. It's really not as fragmented as it once was even as little as a year ago.

Even if those numbers are correct, it is irrelevant for purposes of this thread.

OS updates are almost never available for Android while they are regularly available for iOS. Why not tell us how long it took for 10% of Android users to upgrade their existing phones to a newer version of the OS? I can guarantee it's not 2 days (like iOS 6.1). In fact, I doubt if 10% of Android users manage to upgrade their OS in 2 YEARS.

Your figures are simply a sign of a growing market where the newer products ship with a newer OS. Big deal.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Maybe users are just that desperate to see speed improvements after ios 6 slowed their devices to a painful extent. Too bad there aren't any speed improvements listed as changes.

I installed iOS 6.1 on every device in our house including a 3GS. The speed was the same or better in every instance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Where did this nonsense come from?    

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 3 and neither of them slowed down on iOS 6.   Now there where glitches but that is a different story.   6.1 has made both devices faster as each update before it.   The only time I saw huge regressions from iOS updates was back in the days of the 3G I owned.  

That being said 6.1 is a vast improvement over 6.0 in many ways.    Many have dismissed its value as an upgrade but I'm finding many things have been "fixed" that is work better than ever.   6.1 is exactly what a point release should be, a refinement and tuning of the good things delivered in 6.0.  

I find the same experience to be true of all my devices. They are so snappy and I'm especially impressed with the job that Apple has done here. My 3GS and 4S still feel and run like new.

Quote:

Quote:

It is pretty clear the phone market is maturing and getting out of the easy growth stage. Even Samsung stated this in their earnings. The low hanging fruit is gone and Google Play is 350% behind. I'm sure it will make up some ground but it is easy have large growth numbers when starting from almost nothing.