Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 221 of 318
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Apple's also leaving money on the table by not selling cinnamon raisin bread, raspberry wheat beer, and trips to the moon.

"leaving money on the table" is a stupid reason to push for a change in strategy. Unless you sell 100% of everything that someone needs, you're ALWAYS leaving money on the table. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, being focused on producing a narrower line of industry leading products has been demonstrated to be the more profitable choice - just look at Apple's results next to HTC, for example.

It's a pretty big table and Apple is eating plenty. I guess investors want Apple to eat it all.
  • Reply 222 of 318
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You might want to review the dictionary definition of "niche" before you go further.

A baked flan or tart with a savory filling thickened with eggs?
  • Reply 223 of 318
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

There are several ways to wear  a phablet. You can carry it in a holster if you want to look even more ridiculous than wearing a fanny pack.

You can chain it around the neck. Heck, guys used to wear huge alarm clocks this way, why not a phone?

• Reply 224 of 318

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

In our universe, all we know is that more people buy phones with iOS than buy specific phones made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG, or any other manufacturer. 

There's a reason for that.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's a pretty big table and Apple is eating plenty. I guess investors want Apple to eat it all.

They demand Apple eat it all, otherwise they are doomed. And then when Apple does, they get sued for anti-trust issues.

• Reply 225 of 318
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple's also leaving money on the table by not selling cinnamon raisin bread, raspberry wheat beer, and trips to the moon.

"leaving money on the table" is a stupid reason to push for a change in strategy.

• Reply 226 of 318
    Add phone capability to the iPad and iPad mini, and another phone to match the samsung 3, and shut everyone up. Having an iPad, it would be great to be able to take a phone call with a bluetooth headset while collaborating on a spreadsheet on the screen.
  • Reply 227 of 318
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A baked flan or tart with a savory filling thickened with eggs?

Savory indeed!
  • Reply 228 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

An iPad mini 'phone' with the bluetooth earphone that I already use 100% of the time, and I'm in.

It's called SKYPE

• Reply 229 of 318
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

There definitely is a market for a larger screen iPhone.

I know a few people who bought the Samsung S for it's larger screen.  They admit they put up with shorter battery charge life and other android weaknesses.

I find the iPhone size fine, but not all have my very good close vision.

I find those who like the larger screen, definitely don't have my very good close vision. I prefer the higher quality iPhone screen, they don't notice the difference.

My suggestion is slightly less than 5" and greater than 4.5", perhaps about 4.7".

• Reply 230 of 318
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Receiving daily use. You really think Apple would make a 5" phone one year after their 4" phone?

Yes but not as a replacement. If there's money to be made Apple will enter the category.
  • Reply 231 of 318
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.

I find it rather easy to operate my 4.6" galaxy Nexus with one hand.  I am 6'-4" with big hands and simply find the iPhone too small...

I Started with Android because i have to use Verizon, but I stayed with it because I simply liked the screen and size of the Galaxy Nexus over the iPhone 4 which was the iPhone at the time.  I can't see the 1/2" added to the bottom of the iPhone 5 much of a reason to switch to the iPhone...

Seven people at my office got new phones in the last two months of the year.  All but one got Galaxy phones over iPhones (Two Switched from iPhone 4).  

Apple is losing customers over this issue...

• Reply 232 of 318
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?

I keep my galaxy Nexus in my front pocket.  Why do people always have to put the phone in their rear pockets????

I never understood the reasoning on that one....

• Reply 233 of 318
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    saarek wrote: »
    I’m genuinely curious as to why you want a phone with a bigger display? Everyone I have seen with a large Android device pressed against their heads looks like absolute twats. I can understand wanting a bigger display for content such as games/books/movies etc but then why wouldn’t you just get an iPad?

Apple has explained why they went for the 4” display, it’s the biggest they could go and still maintain one handed operation.

I need a bigger screen because i do a lot of internet on my phone and i need something between a tablet and a small phone for the job. I also would like a bigger screen because i cant see well at short distance now. I used low prescription glass for reading but i dont carry those all the time. 5" phones are here to stay, regardless of the people you thinks that because they dont need them, nobody needs them.

Another thing i like about the nexus 4 is its only 360$ unlock. Its the most popular phone at my work place amount people shopping for a new phone.
  • Reply 234 of 318
    allenbf wrote: »

The Nexus 4 is made by LG.  I don't want to speak for the other gentleman, but the Nexus 4 is on the same level of quality as an iPhone 4 or 4s.  Glass back/front, it's a very well made phone.  My overall opinion is that Android phones are crap, cheaply made - except for this one.  If Google and it's hardware partners continue on that path, watch out.

Again, I don't want to speak for the other guy as your question was directed at him, not me - but 4.7 inches (Nexus 4) isn't much larger than the iPhone 5.  I will agree on the 5 + inch behemoths, etc, it's just ugly.  I know people love the Galaxy Note but it's just too big to use as a phone (my opinion)

But 4.7" on the Nexus is pretty much usable with one hand.  As much so as my iPhone 5.

Indeed. Most of the android devices dont have well balance specs and often have huge bottlenecks. But the nexus 4 is very well design and balance allowing a very nice price for what you get. Imo its beats the crap out of the more expensive iphone 4 and iphone 4s. To top it off I think android as leap over iOS in terms of innovation and power, making it a better OS for the moment.

It makes wonder what the hell is apple doing? They are sitting on pile of cash and not doing much of anything with it.
  • Reply 234 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A few people saying 'I want one' isn't enough to be the right reason. There would have to be significant market demand, which isn't demonstrated in the sales figures when the iPhone 5 outsells all of them:

Oh... so the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S weren't selling that well so Apple brought out the 4" iPhone 5 to compete with the larger phones that were selling well...  image

• Reply 236 of 318
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How do you know he's going with a Samsung?

Indeed. If I ever buy an android device its going to be a Nexus, I want something i can upgrade without dealing with manufacturers layers on top of android.
  • Reply 237 of 318
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Indeed. Most of the android devices dont have well balance specs and often have huge bottlenecks. But the nexus 4 is very well design and balance allowing a very nice price for what you get. Imo its beats the crap out of the more expensive iphone 4 and iphone 4s. To top it off I think android as leap over iOS in terms of innovation and power, making it a better OS for the moment.

It makes wonder what the hell is apple doing? They are sitting on pile of cash and not doing much of anything with it.

I'm sure Apple isn't gonna spend money just to spend it. Why waste 12.5 billion on a has-been mobile device company?

Btw, you prob mean Android 4.2 is better because most Android devices are stuck at 2.x.
  • Reply 238 of 318
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Natural evolution-  the screen should be larger-   Apple must IMO,  develop a slightly larger form factor for a variety of reasons.

When the Iphone was released it was a huge step forward in many ways.  Today,  the small screen lacks.  

Reasons-  Typing accuracy,   eyesight limitations,   ease of use etc,  visual real estate.   Slimmer, lighter phones can easily handle the larger screen.

No point in letting other companies get a leg up. 

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.   I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.  Again, no point in letting other companies..........

I agree and have noticed many women have trouble holding the 4.5" and larger phones.

Even with my large hand the Samsung S3 is a handful, the largest phone I could safely hold.

• Reply 239 of 318
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    It is indeed clear that Apple does not know how to make money!
  • Reply 240 of 318
    sranger wrote: »
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Apple is losing customers over this issue...</span>

If it's not this issue it's another:
    No cheap feature phone for developing markets
    No NFC chip
    No SD card slot
    No OLED screen with PenTile
    No quad core CPU
    No removable battery
    No side loading of apps
    No Android

All with the same justification: "Android is winning! Samsung is winning! Tim Cook needs to copy them to stay competitive!"