Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The Nexus 4 is made by LG.  I don't want to speak for the other gentleman, but the Nexus 4 is on the same level of quality as an iPhone 4 or 4s.  Glass back/front, it's a very well made phone.  My overall opinion is that Android phones are crap, cheaply made - except for this one.  If Google and it's hardware partners continue on that path, watch out.

Again, I don't want to speak for the other guy as your question was directed at him, not me - but 4.7 inches (Nexus 4) isn't much larger than the iPhone 5.  I will agree on the 5 + inch behemoths, etc, it's just ugly.  I know people love the Galaxy Note but it's just too big to use as a phone (my opinion)

But 4.7" on the Nexus is pretty much usable with one hand.  As much so as my iPhone 5.

I will also add to this: I don't use my phone much as a phone these days.  Mainly, texting, web browsing, reading, games, etc.  With that said, I want to do those things and the ocasional phone call on a device that has a larger screen--larger to do those things, but still pocket (I too am thinking a Nexus 4 and not a Note II).  I understand that an iPad can do all of these things with an even larger screen--but I don't want to carry that around all day and it doesn't fit in my pocket.  A 4.7 inch Nexus 4 does fit in my pocket.  I much prefer iOS but will make the sacrifice for the screen real estate.

• Reply 62 of 318
    Please. "Leaving money on the table" can be used to describe anything trendy that Apple's isn't selling, whether it fits their vision or not.

If Apple chases the competition, people will criticize Tim for repeating John Sculley's loss of focus on innovation. If Apple "leaves money on the table," people will criticize him for not chasing the competition.

[B]Conclusion: haters gonna hate.[/B]
  • Reply 63 of 318
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mrallister wrote: »
    Ye

I seriously doubt phablits will become the norm, I Love the size if my 4 inch Retna Display of my iPhone 5. It os the perfect size to fit in my hand!

For how long did you think smartphones wouldn't be the norm?
  • Reply 64 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please. "Leaving money on the table" can be used to describe anything trendy that Apple's isn't selling, whether it fits their vision or not.

If Apple chases the competition, people will criticize Tim for repeating John Sculley's loss of focus on innovation. If Apple "leaves money on the table," people will criticize him for not chasing the competition.

Conclusion: haters gonna hate.

As long as Apple still has a vision...

• Reply 65 of 318
    I love my iPhone 5 and think it's the perfect form factor for my purposes. Does everything I need it to while on the go and yet still fits in my pocket. But why shouldn't Apple make different size phones? They do it with iPods, iPads, and Macs. The iPhone seems to be the only product in Apple's lineup that only has one form factor for the newest generation. I don't think Apple should do it just to say they have a phablet like device and half arse it. But if they do it right then I think Apple should be getting into this category of phones.
  • Reply 66 of 318
    I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?
  • Reply 67 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I just think it's too damn big. Put that in your back pocket, and see how fast it is stolen in a crowd?

You're wearing it wrong image

• Reply 68 of 318
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If there's money to be made with a 5" phone, Apple will release one. Not on these "analysts" time but in its own time. If they do release one, it'll be in addition to the 4" line. The fact that the iPhone sold record numbers last qtr, it amazing that Apple NEEDS to do something according to the analysts.
  • Reply 69 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Old people. And by that I mean, those of us who just hit 40...

Easy man.  40 isn't old...I'm still mid 30s, I don't want to think of 40 as "old" just yet.

• Reply 70 of 318

In general, I would like the larger screen, however love the 4S size for out doing stuff, easy to carry whether hiking or anything. I dont want the 4" screen or larger.

There is nothing wrong with taking a set of technology and offering it in various flavors... just don't forget what got you there... the technology/design.

In anycase, its all good, as soon as Apple releases a larger phone all these naysayers will say its the greatest since slice bread.

• Reply 71 of 318

Meh.  Fortunately, Apple has traditionally not put much stock into what investors/analysts have had to say.  

Apple is also pretty good at gauging the market and assessing trends resulting in far more hits that misses. I don't believe Apple will abandon the lighter smaller more portable design of the iPhone 5 in place of a larger screened device, but instead offer an additional model if they believe there is a sufficient market for these devices. I personally find the current design of the iPhone a perfect balance between portability and function. 

• Reply 72 of 318
    Love Apple, have a ton of Apple products, and was happy to buy Apple stock 10 years ago and sell it in September. But why is Apple being so stubborn about iPhone screen sizes? It's obvious that many people want a bigger screen. So Johnny Ives telling us why the 4 inch screen is perfect for us isn't going to cut it in the marketplace. Samsung is eating Apple's lunch By giving consumers what they want as opposed to giving them what Samsung thinks they should want. So now Apple is playing "follow the leader." Apple better get smarter in a hurry or it is going to take a smaller and smaller share of the market.
  • Reply 73 of 318
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 74 of 318

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

I don't want a brick up against my head as I talk.

See, if you ask people about this, they'll say you're an idiot for using your phone as a phone. That seems to be their only argument for a larger model.

Originally Posted by MrAllister View Post

It is the perfect size to fit in my hand!

Yep, that's another thing that you'll get made fun of for thinking.

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Why can't I have a nice sized screen on an iPhone?

You already do.

As a matter of fact, most Android owners claim the iPhone's small size turned them OFF...

No, but believe what you want.

Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Natural evolution

HA!

…the screen should…

Why?

…must IMO…

You don't see that often.

Typing accuracy

What's so hard about typing on either of the iPhone's screens?

No point in letting other companies get a leg up.

Other companies are the fat kid standing at the bottom of the cliff, jumping in vain. Samsung just hooked itself into Apple's rappelling gear.

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural direction.

Man, this stuff just sneaks up on you and then wham, instant humor.

Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

And boom goes the argument.

Those seeking smaller form factor-   a wrist worn repeater would do the trick.

No, a Dick Tracy phone is not a valid solution for anyone. Not even spies.

I truly hope Apple is developing,  that too,  is a natural direction.

Stupidity is a natural direction?

Again, no point in letting other companies..........

I say let 'em have at it!

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

In anycase, its all good, as soon as Apple releases a larger phone all these naysayers will say its the greatest since slice bread.

You want to say that to my face? image

• Reply 74 of 318
    All apple need to is make the iPhone slightly wider and im sure they'll be on to a winner.It may not have every cheap thrill under the sun but there is no phone that performs like a iphone [B][/B]
  • Reply 76 of 318
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This should really be titled "Shaw Wu says ..."   Careful observers will note that the other analyst is actually talking about something else entirely.  

A related observation ... Has Shaw Wu ever been right about anything at all?  image

• Reply 77 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCore View Post

Apple should evolve to a 5" screen size, its a natural  direction.  Lets call it "Guy-phone"-    for those of us with big mitts. 

My brother's a large man with a degenerative neural disorder similar to Parkinson's. Not only can he hold an iPhone 5 comfortably in his "big mitts", but he can use it too. If you can't, I'm not sure increasing the size of the phone would solve your problems.

• Reply 78 of 318
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    chuckp wrote: »
    Love Apple, have a ton of Apple products, and was happy to buy Apple stock 10 years ago and sell it in September. But why is Apple being so stubborn about iPhone screen sizes? It's obvious that many people want a bigger screen. So Johnny Ives telling us why the 4 inch screen is perfect for us isn't going to cut it in the marketplace. Samsung is eating Apple's lunch By giving consumers what they want as opposed to giving them what Samsung thinks they should want. So now Apple is playing "follow the leader." Apple better get smarter in a hurry or it is going to take a smaller and smaller share of the market.

Three iPhone models outsold all of Sammy's phones last qtr. Apple still leads with 2/3 all profits in the mobile space. Usage share also favors Apple. OS Market Share also favors Apple because you have to include the touch and iPad. Apple will release a 5" in addition to the 4" when it feels it's ready. I bet you and these analysts are still waiting for a Mac Netbook.
  • Reply 79 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

Meh.  Fortunately, Apple has traditionally not put much stock into what investors/analysts have had to say.  

I thought the same thing until the iPad mini...

Don't get me wrong.  I like it and I plan on buying one in Retina, when available.  But I think if Apple announces an iPhone + or even the cheaper iPhone, it's a pretty clear sign they're listening to the investors/analysts.

• Reply 80 of 318
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But how not alone are you? Is the cost of R&D, manufacturing, splitting the product line, etc. enough to make it a large enough market worth pursuing? I think a 4.94" iPhone makes sense on many technical levels but I don't have enough data to know if it makes sense from a marketing standpoint since the 5" Android-based phones are not the most popular Android-based devices sold.

Marketing, and also from a strategic pov. 

I think it is important for Apple not to appear stagnant and consequently less relevant. With that in mind it may make sense to offer up another model in spite of the additional dev and production costs. Apple is the only entity that can reasonably make that calculation and call, but I'd love to see a larger iPhone, personally. In an of itself there is nothing wrong with that from Apple's perspective witnessed by the two size choices in all Apple's other (screened) devices.

If they brought out a 5" iPhone, would they also bring out a 5" iPod touch?