Apple 'leaving money on the table' by not releasing big-screen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 318
    Piechart from Android devices screen size, showing that hardly anyone wants a large screen:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19958/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 82 of 318
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Huh? double post...

• Reply 83 of 318
    allenbf wrote: »

Easy man.  40 isn't old...I'm still mid 30s, I don't want to think of 40 as "old" just yet.

40 is the new 30.
  • Reply 84 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Piechart from Android devices screen size, showing that hardly anyone wants a large screen:

WTF is normal?

• Reply 85 of 318
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

For a long time now Apple has needed to expand the iPhone line up to different sized devices.   Anybody that can't see that is blind.   They need to do that for the same reason that hammer manufacture make different sized hammers and car manufactures make different sized cars.   The simple reality is not every bodies needs are the same.    Frankly it is no more different than making different sized laptops or LCD screens.   

As for the Apple leaving money on the table blurb, AI why even bother posting such crap.   All you are doing is providing a voice to the stock manipulators and exploiters.  

• Reply 86 of 318
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Ha ha ha, advice from analysts who time and time again get their predictions wrong. Not just a little wrong mind you but mindblowingly wrong.

4" - 4.3" is the sweet spot, if Apple wanted to double their sales figures they would give the phones away like Samsung/Blackberry etc do on 2for1 deals and discount handsets heavily for carriers.

This of course drops Apples margins and counters any sales increases made. Assclown analysts.
  • Reply 87 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Chasing niches is what they did most of their corporate career. 

You really don't understand either a) Apple or b) Apple after SJ's return if you believe that's what they've been doing.

• Reply 88 of 318
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Like I stated earlier, I don't see why they can't take a similar approach they took with the iPod. Imagine that if they continued to offer the current model size, you'd probably have a little bit of cannibalization by adding a larger screen version, but you might steal 1/3 to 1/2 the competition's market from them, adding to Apple's marketshare. Why wouldn't you want to go for this? Why wouldn't you want a range of phones that could potentially put Android out of business? If I were running the comany, that would be my goal - to own the market.

• Reply 89 of 318
    I'd like a lighter phone with a bigger screen, and preferably with less bezel. A more scratch resistant surface that doesn't require a case would be nice, too
  • Reply 90 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple doesnt have a big screen when my contract expires, i am buying a nexus phone. And i am not alone

Nexus 4 is a nice looking phone but I still don't see the need for a phone that big having struggled using a friends S3 which just felt unwieldy...

I also have my concerns with build quality as the only person I know who _had_ a Nexus 4 made it a whole 2 weeks before the screen packed in... his carrier didn't have any more in stock so he is now the very happy owner of an iPhone 5 instead.... a very small sample size I'll grant you, but a 100% failure rate within that sample :)

• Reply 91 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

1.Steve said the iPad was the right size, but the world made a smaller tablet and now Apple makes a smaller tablet.

2.Then the world made a slightly larger phone, so the iPhone became slightly larger.

3.So now the world makes an even bigger phone, and investors are asking Apple to follow that lead as well.

4.On the one hand, if there's a market it seems a shame to force those who want that size to buy an Android device.

5.But on the other hand, repositioning Apple as a "me too" company doesn't seem well suited for their margins over the long haul.

1. And apple never made a 7" tablet, instead they made a "better" tablet for those that want something smaller. You can't disagree, it's a fact.

2. yes, for me that's the only reason... That form factor, display ratio makes no sense. it was just to gain time (at least it looks like it...) but that' a small part about the iphone 5. it is now the best phone ever created, and the difference between iPhone and top android phones was never as big as it is now. Performance, camera and display quality, build quality, ecosystem... you name it. The iPhone just destroys everything else by a huge margin.

3. yes and no. But why does it have to be Apple against the world? OEMs make bigger phones because that's the only thing they could do to create "marketing". every single phone they do is an inferior phone, and the difference is huge, actually. Apple is the only one that can do a "right" phablet, without losing what android costumers lose when they buy one (build quality, screen quality, camera quality, lots of performance, etc).

4. obviously! i can't understand those that are agains it.. they make 0 sense. obviosuly apple doesn't "have to", but they can grab million of millions of new costumers with a bigger iphone together with the 5s, and other phone makers would lose theirs high end costumers.

5. Again, only someone ignorant would call them that. Who cares about ignorants?

• Reply 92 of 318

Apple should release a larger iPhone, but keep the smaller sizes. I cannot understand people arguing against larges screens, it's not like the smaller screens will disappear! I for one would buy a 5" iPhone immediately.

• Reply 93 of 318

The ability to use one hand on 4 inches seems important to a lot of folks. Except those that need two for a bigger displacement. image

• Reply 94 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

For how long did you think smartphones wouldn't be the norm?

We see this one a lot. Here's the basic form of the argument: Because something once happened that someone thought wouldn't, anything and everything will happen.

Is that really the argument you want to make?

• Reply 95 of 318
    I think Apple has made 2 HUGE mistakes. The first is carrier exclusivity when it started off. The exclusivity allowed Android to take off at other carriers. The second is not having two different sized iPhones, allowing Android, again, to gain significant market share on that specification alone.

Many people want an ultra portable computer/phone and the iPhone's size is inefficient for Remote Desktop or editing a spreadsheet. I have an iPhone 5 and Mini, and while having the smaller iPhone is nice sometimes, most of the time I would prefer to have a bigger iPhone (5"-5.5") and no Mini at all.

Apple may not specifically be trying to capture market share, but they are competing for buyers. If they want to make people's lives better, there are some simple things they can do to their existing product line-up to accomplish that.
  • Reply 96 of 318

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Why wouldn't you want a range of phones that could potentially put Android out of business?

Because the only way that can ever happen is through lawsuits. So why waste time making crap for 1/100th of the population?

If I were running the comany, that would be my goal - to own the market.

At your Microsoft interview, link them to this post. They'll like that.

Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

The first is carrier exclusivity when it started off. 

Every phone had carrier exclusivity. Phones still do today. It was either that or $650 phones from day one until today.

Many people want an ultra portable computer/phone and the iPhone's size is inefficient for Remote Desktop or editing a spreadsheet.

iPad. MacBook Air. Don't pretend an iPhone is designed to replace a laptop.

• Reply 98 of 318
    Yawn,
    Same people said Apple was "leaving money on the table" when netbooks came about. All I have to say is WHEN Apple releases an "iMessage" for voice calls, it will shift the market. Yes I know VOIP apps have been around for a long time, but as with anything with Apple, they do it right and roll it out to all devices. Image for moment all iOS devices from 2010 and newer including macs, being able to voice call. The idea of a "phone" is changing very quickly and in 5 years will no longer be the same thing we think of it today. Mark my words.
  • Reply 99 of 318
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You really don't understand either a) Apple or b) Apple after SJ's return if you believe that's what they've been doing.

So, I guess you do? Where do you people come from? Apple has never done anything with the idea that it'll be anything other than a better product than the competition. Apple supplemented the Mac with the iPod. It was a runaway success they didn't imagine would happen. They simply built a better mousetrap, which is what they've always done. They never saw the iPod taking away the market from the competition. They never saw it as a massively appealing device from the day it was conceptualized. The same goes for the iPhone. Yes, they saw it as revolutionary. But they didn't even know how well it would be received by the public. They simply designed a better mousetrap.

Apple, and Steve Jobs, has never been in the market to design the biggest selling anything. They simply design a better product and integrate it with the rest of their line as seemless as possible and what the market does, it does. They also streamline their product range, somewhat, from the days of the Performas and Quadras when there were so many different products that overlapped it was costing them too much with the little markeshare they had. However, Performas and Quadras are one thing, but having 2 iPhones is another. Like others pointed out, there are 2 sizes of MacBook Airs, 2 sizes of MacBook Pros, 2 sizes of iMacs, 3 sizes of iPods, 2 sizes of iPads...

Like I said, the Mac has never been anything but a niche product from the day it was launched, and it still is a niche product.

• Reply 100 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because the only way that can ever happen is through lawsuits. So why waste time making crap for 1/100th of the population?

At your Microsoft interview, link them to this post. They'll like that.

Every phone had carrier exclusivity. Phones still do today. It was either that or $650 phones from day one until today.

iPad. MacBook Air. Don't pretend an iPhone is designed to replace a laptop.

So limited...

40 million S3, 10 million note 2, 30 million (razr, xperia, One, dna, EVERY SINGLE high end android phone now) costumers Apple lost just because they do not offer big screens.

All these phones lose on everything else, cost the same, but have bigger screens, that's the reason they sell.

Would you lose something if Apple creates another iPhone model?

Stop your non-sense, please.