Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 179
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I think that there are personal motives behind his many comments these past years regarding Apple, whenever he opens his mouth and gives an opinion about something Apple related.

Even though he may still get his little check from Apple, he has nothing to do with the company or it's products I believe.

And the Microsoft Surface made him think that "Steve Jobs came back reincarnated" at Microsoft? Wozniak may have done some cool stuff many, many decades ago, but I can't take anybody seriously who would say that about Steve Jobs and Microsoft. 

• Reply 22 of 179
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Android had better cloud syncing,

Android has better notifications 

Android has better maps

Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using

Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password 

Android has customization widgets  

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

In another thread, people were arguing that iPads are replacing laptops from which one might draw the conclusion that the general population is not made up of power users who need to customize and tweak every possible setting. Their needs are simple and iOS strives to hide the complexity of the OS and present a unified easy to use interface for the average user without the endless options that only serve to make the device less user friendly. Android is useful for people who do want to customize everything imaginable but that is certainly not "most of the population". The average smartphone user for both platforms is likely to just use the device with the default settings.

• Reply 23 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Your opinion on "behind" seems to boil down to Android does some things differently or includes features of questionable value (NFC). I assume from your opinion you prefer the Android way. It's like saying the iPhone is "behind" because it does not have a 5" screen. If you do want a 5" screen, then Apple is certainly "behind" in that sense.

I do prefer the Android way because it lets me do more.  While you can pick and choose from my list what has value for you, I think some of the things I listed are legitimate problems holding back iOS.  For example, being able to choose a default app for launching web links or map links would be something most users would appreciate.  Similarly the way sharing works on iOS is a hassle.  Why can I only share to the handful of applications that Apple has baked into the OS?  Why can't I share something from my gallery directly to Instagram?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If you want all that on iOS can't you simply buy a phone that runs on Android?

I already do own a phone that runs Android, but I'd rather buy an Apple phone so I want Apple to match some basic usability features.

• Reply 24 of 179
    Apple makes great phones, I love my iPhone 4s. That being said, I have a nexus 7 and I absolutely love it. Malware is a lot smaller deal than people make it out to me. I have downloaded many apps not from the google play store and have periodically downloaded a free AV program for the tablet and it always comes up clean. I love swype or slide typing. I love the ability to make the launcher look different. Fact is, they both make great phones. But right now I say I like my droid better. I am not a fanboy of either. This is my opinion and my opinion doesnt mean dirt, but i'm still giving it.
  • Reply 25 of 179

Most posters here are missing the forest for the trees. Any, and I mean Any, smartphone has features that surpass the iPhone. Why get so bent out of shape whenever anyone suggests that? Who cares? It's kind of like an Oakland Raiders fan saying to Baltimore "we've got a better punter!" Just give the losers their due. They need it. We Apple users can bask in the knowledge that we are living the high life. We enjoy the world's best complete package. And all the others can do is bark about a few individual features that amount to very little compared to the larger overall experience Apple provides. So the next time they want to feel important, just smile and say "yes, you've got great notifications on that phone. Good for you, man." 

• Reply 26 of 179
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Here's something that pisses me a little about iPhones.  Only apps that apple allows can use the share link from Safari.  That is stupid.  If I want to share link via Google Plus app, I have to cut and paste it.

That is just being mean and spiteful.  They should have a setting in Privacy like they do for contacts and so on, and you can enable and disable sharing via that.

Also like the multiple, user selectable, keyboards.

However, I will note that I just got a Nexus 4 for testing, and privacy settings and security on it is pathetic.  To enable full device encryption takes about 30-45 minutes, where you can't use it - all it is doing is encryption.  After that, anytime you reboot, you have to enter your password *TWICE* to get to the screen.

And you know how Facebook.app asks for permission to get your contacts, location and all that shit, and you can enable and disable as you like?

On Android, you can't.  All you can do is accept what Facebook wants to **** with, or not use the facebook app.

• Reply 27 of 179
    I find people complaining about his words ridiculous, to be honest.

He says the iPhone has some features missing compared to Android. He's right.
    He also says he's waiting in line for Apple products because Apple product launches are history.

Blame Ai for titling the article "Apple somewhat behind" and not "Apple events are history". Not The Woz.
  • Reply 28 of 179

Quote:

Android has better maps

Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

I agree with Apple v Samsung.  I've owned every iPhone since the original.  When the iPhone 5 was released, I decided to try Android with a Nexus 4.  Jelly Bean 4.2 is ahead of iOS6 is just about every way I can think of except for the camera software.  

I'd like to add Google Now to that list.  It's much more useful than Siri.  Over the past few months, it's become very adept at predicting the information I need when I need it.

• Reply 29 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomp View Post

Woz - you are a brilliant programmer, but you know nothing - Apple doesn't build products for the elite IT guys and that's why you needed Steve. Apple builds products for the rest of us - that's where the money is...

That's probably what he says, you know? Don't blaming for saying what you say :D

• Reply 30 of 179

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Actionable notifications, quick toggles for settings, choice of default app for a given action, widgets, NFC, sharing from one app to any other app that can share, drag and drop files over USB, etc.

You got the semi-official AppleInsider Mark of Quabity.

• Reply 31 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You got the semi-official AppleInsider Mark of Quabity.

YESSSSSS

• Reply 32 of 179

I've owned almost every iPhone until the 4S and recently decided to give the Nexus 4 a try. Granted it's only been a week or so, but I love the Nexus. Pure, unmuddled Andriod is great (though I really miss iMessage). I think you can make an argument either way though. Both iOS and Andriod have their advantages and disadvantages same goes for hardware. I still love Apple's products, and I know they like to perfect everything, but I think it may take a pretty significant change in hardware and software on their part to keep up otherwise they may find themselves falling behind in the market they created. 

I have to agree with some of the posters here that it's great to admire the company and products they make, but don't blindly follow because "they know what is best"

But this is all just my shitty opinion so who cares, right?

• Reply 33 of 179

Originally Posted by br3h View Post

I still love Apple's products… …but…

No, you don't. And if you do, it doesn't matter. Your argument matters.

• Reply 34 of 179
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

There's plenty of room for iOS/iPhone improvement, but I'm not sure that includes NFC. Adoption rate in the USA is negligible — yes, I know there are other countries, and yes, there's a chicken/egg issue — and security remains a significant concern. Where's the market demand for NFC?

• Reply 35 of 179
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Actionable notifications, quick toggles for settings, choice of default app for a given action, widgets, NFC, sharing from one app to any other app that can share, drag and drop files over USB, etc.

I agree some of these features would be nice and I suspect Apple will bring some of these to the table with the next update. I, however,  don't agree with Apple being behind with NFC. Currently, I can already go into places like Starbucks and they can scan my phone. That seems like a better way to go considering the security concerns associated with NFC and the lack of standardization. Drag and drop would be nice, but it is also a design choice to not allow that. If you allow people to drag and drop files, you also open up the ecosystem to a lot of possible viruses and malware. 

Apple hasn't rushed to adopt technologies its sees trouble with. For example Blue Ray disks were problematic from a licensing perspective and the DMR has to be system wide even when the Blue Ray player isn't on, which causes performance problems. Apple was also patient and waited for an LTE product to be released that only used one chip, where prior LTE products used by its competitors used two. Waiting allowed Apple to bring to market a more power efficient product. 

• Reply 36 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    "Don't listen to Woz, he's crazy." (Fast forward to 2:01 in the video below.)

video:

Your video doesn't work. To embed a video using Huddler (this forum SW) you have to only include the v= info and optionally the t= info if you want it to start a a certain time. You have to remove the feature= and list= data, as well as adjoining ampersands.

Here is the link as it should be for your time stamp:

[VIDEO]

edit: I could have sworn the time code would work but it apparently doesn't in Huddle.

gatorguy wrote: »
    If you're not familiar with some of the more recent Android features and how they compare to iOS6 PocketNow posted a video comparison. It's not the most recent version of Android (one behind I believe) but still good for taking a look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwwJ8kgmcdc&feature=watch-vrec

I started watching that but after the very first way Android is better than iOS is because it has a half dozen different ways to unlock the device I stopped. Having more options does not a better product make. I see that has the Homer car and not how technology should work.
  • Reply 37 of 179
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by br3h View Post

But this is all just my shitty opinion so who cares, right?

You have a one post history, so right. 

• Reply 38 of 179
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Actionable notifications - Good
    Quick toggles for settings - Really Good
    Choice of default app for a given action - Cool
    Widgets - Memory Hogs
    NFC - We're not there yet
    Sharing from one app to any other app that can share - Some apps do that
    Drag and drop files over USB - USB? Give me a break
    Android had better cloud syncing - True
    Android has better notifications - True
    Android has better maps - ...out the box. True
    Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using - For the 0.0001% number of users who are going to use that
    Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password - Too complicated
    Android has customization widgets - Memory Hogs

The problems for Android are:

- iOS is 1000% more stable
    - iOS is a more efficient using memory
    - Very little fragmentation (almost none)
    - iOS Devices come with a lot of integrated memory. (32/64GB iPhones/iPads/Touch, and can you say 128GB iPad? Very soon 128GB iPhone and Touch. No rivals there.)
    - iOS devices are really well done. Superb quality and components.
    - iOS almost never crash
    - Apple have a very solid and attractive ecosystem Mac/iPhone/iPad
    - Apple are truly doing a serious R&D for their best products. Others are just following.
  • Reply 39 of 179
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Android has better maps

But how does all this synergize into a superior user experience?

(hint: ask Apple.)

• Reply 40 of 179
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Woz belongs in the engineering dept. Not in Creative consultation.