Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

Apple makes great phones, I love my iPhone 4s. That being said, I have a nexus 7 and I absolutely love it. Malware is a lot smaller deal than people make it out to me. I have downloaded many apps not from the google play store and have periodically downloaded a free AV program for the tablet and it always comes up clean. I love swype or slide typing. I love the ability to make the launcher look different. Fact is, they both make great phones. But right now I say I like my droid better. I am not a fanboy of either. This is my opinion and my opinion doesnt mean dirt, but i'm still giving it.

How do you guys explain the fact that Apple still makes three-quarters of the profits of the smartphone business? 

• Reply 42 of 179
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Why is he always barking ? If he is great enough , he would have been the second Steve jobs .

Woz has nothing better to do and he's enjoying his new kindled attention since Jobs passed away.   It's what the media is doing and Woz allows himself to sucked into it.

i don't take Woz that seriously anymore.  He's never done anything that great since he left Apple.  I think the media should leave him alone or he should be more careful what he says because the media has a tendency to take statements out of context, twist things around to blow things out of proportion just to get reader's attention.  it's what the media is good at.

• Reply 43 of 179
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But how does all this synergize into a superior user experience?

(hint: ask Apple.)

Very good question...features are one thing, but implementing them into a positive and useful user experience is another. This is what iOS does better than Android. Also, as with OS X, Apple isn't always the first to implement a particular feature, but when it does, its usually better than anyone else's solution. 

• Reply 44 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I started watching that but after the very first way Android is better than iOS is because it has a half dozen different ways to unlock the device I stopped. Having more options does not a better product make. I see that has the Homer car and not how technology should work.

Why not view the video to understand how each is different instead of "better"?  I don't take someone else's word for "this or that is better" either without a little look for myself. If you have no interest in viewing some of the major differences that's a different story. Then I wouldn't waste time looking at it either.

• Reply 45 of 179
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

He's never done anything that great since he left Apple.

I'm looking around me, staring at various iOS devices and Macs, and Woz had nothing at all to do with any of them. 

• Reply 46 of 179
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Personally, I value Woz' opinion on the matter, and do think he has good insight. The iPhone may be a little behind Android on several areas, but honestly I think most of them fall under the category of tweaks.

Where Apple needs to move the ball is really cloud services and Siri. (Oh gawd... i actually said that!) On the "cloud services" side of things, they need to keep improving the integration between/across devices for a user, family, group, or organization. They do a pretty good job at the user level now (say 80%), but the others are big holes.

(That, and an iMac you can hook up on a VESA arm...)
  • Reply 47 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why not view the video to understand how each is different instead of "better"?  I don't take someone else's word for "this or that is better" either without a little look for myself. If you have no interest in viewing some of the major differences that's a different story. Then I wouldn't waste time looking at it either.

It already started off bad. If they started off with how Android's unlocking was inherent faster, more secure, or something else that would make it better than I would have continued watching but listing a half dozen ways it can be done compared to Apple's one way is the same was using a spec sheet to list how something must be better than another.
  • Reply 48 of 179
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Widgets - Memory Hogs (Cite Reliable Source)

Drag and drop files over USB - USB? Give me a break (Why, you think no one uses USB ever? Did it completely disappear overnight?)

Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password - Too complicated (Opinion, Is it just too complicated for you? Pattern is easy and great)

Android has customization widgets - Memory Hogs (Cite Reliable Source, Again)

The problems for Android are:

- iOS is 1000% more stable (Exaggerated -- Opinion, Cite Reliable Source)

- iOS is a more efficient using memory (Cite Reliable Source)

- iOS devices are really well done. Superb quality and components. (Opinion)

- iOS almost never crash (Cite Reliable Source)

- Apple are truly doing a serious R&D for their best products. Others are just following. (Opinion, Cite Reliable Source)

Lots of opinion and citation needed on those features/claims.

• Reply 49 of 179
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Just cracks me up reading how the fandroids infesting this forum are trying to preach to everyone how their every-feature-plus-kitchen-sink mentality is superior to the polished, user-friendly system that is iOS.

Get it through your thick (if not solid) skulls that you do NOT represent the majority of users.  Most users don't want infinite customizing (i.e. time-waster, complexity) in their phones.  It's this incredibly simply little concept that continues to allude you, and frankly makes you come across as the anti-social geeky stereotype that nobody listens to.

Sure, there are people out there on the other side of the argument that believe Android is the way to go.  So GO!!!  Why criticize people that exercise that exact same choice and choose iOS??  You people are complete hypocrites!

Now go away and continue micromanaging your phone.  I (and many others like me) will continue actually using our phones for what they were designed for... us!!

• Reply 50 of 179
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Apple seriously needs to improve its cloud services. Apple has always sucked at anything cloud based. I don't know why they have such a hard time with this. They have very brilliant people working at Apple yet they can't develop a reliable cloud service. 

I agree on the Siri front too...it could use some improvements. Its great for some things, not so much with others. I do think they're working hard on it and will get it right. 

• Reply 51 of 179

Originally Posted by malta View Post

- iOS devices are really well done. Superb quality and components. (Opinion)

- Apple are truly doing a serious R&D for their best products. Others are just following. (Opinion, Cite Reliable Source)

Lots of opinion and citation needed on those features/claims.

You can't possibly be serious.

• Reply 52 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

The problems for Android are:

- iOS is 1000% more stable

- iOS is a more efficient using memory

- Very little fragmentation (almost none)

- iOS Devices come with a lot of integrated memory. (32/64GB iPhones/iPads/Touch, and can you say 128GB iPad? Very soon 128GB iPhone and Touch. No rivals there.)

- iOS devices are really well done. Superb quality and components.

- iOS almost never crash

- Apple have a very solid and attractive ecosystem Mac/iPhone/iPad

- Apple are truly doing a serious R&D for their best products. Others are just following.

Some of these things are reasons why I want Apple to catch up on features.  There are many reasons why Android is a more usable and modern OS.  At the same time, iOS has fantastic polish, and Apple hardware has the best quality.  I want to be able to use Apple hardware and not have to feel like I stepped back into 2007 from a software perspective.

• Reply 53 of 179
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Android had better cloud syncing,

Android has better notifications 

Android has better maps

Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using

Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password 

Android has customization widgets  

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

You decide what to use based on what the population uses?  If you do, then you should be running Android 2.x OS.  So much for your dumb theories.

Apple sold more iPhones than all of the Android phones last quarter.

Most of the Android phones being sold aren't 4.2.1 versions and they aren't the top end models.  So, most of your so-called Android users are just buying the cheaper phones and they don't represent the part of the population that has or spends much money on these devices.

There are INDUSTRIES and BUSINESSES that are opting for iPhones and iPads, not Android products.  So, I would tend to use something that people in the same industry as I might be more inclined to use..  

Have fun with your little Android toy. that's all they are.  In the industries I'm in Android is basically NOT supported.  In the music creation/production industry, it's all about iOS devices, OS X and some WIndows. But even Windows is getting set aside by some of the players as some are dropping Windows support.

Home automation?  IOS is where it's at. Check out Savant Systems.  They make some of the most advanced home automation products and they don't support Android, at all.

IN all of the things you mentioned, apps wasn't one of them.  Apps is what people use.  Apple has more and better apps than Android and is a far more secure OS that's easier to use.

Have a nice day and enjoy your fragmented platform.

• Reply 54 of 179
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Android has a feature that allows you to see what apps are using your data and how much they are using

On iOS 6: Settings app -> General -> Usage

EDIT: Ah, you mean cellular data.  Might want to clarify that point.  For a technical person, it's pretty easy to figure out which apps would be heavy network users.  For everyone else, all they care/know about is whether they're over or not (total usage).  Very few people are going to take the time to "debug" which apps are doing what.

• Reply 55 of 179
    Don't stick you head in the sand. Apple has always followed during iterative improvements. They prefer to get it right on their own time. It is disruption and creation of new categories that Apple has done it's best work. Give Samsung credit for looking towards new form factor ideas like the Galaxy Note and the smaller tablet sizes first. Samsung is a strong competitor who will skirt the rules to get more leverage more quickly as a fast follower.

I admire Woz for his willingness to be honest about his opinion. I do not doubt that he would love to work for Apple again. I just doubt that he is focused enough to succeed there.
  • Reply 56 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    auxio wrote: »
    On iOS 6: Settings app -> General -> Usage

Please ensure to have the social media writers at Google update their scripts.

That is storage on the device, not how much data each app is sending and receiving, which I think is what the OP is referring to. That, like the ability to see which apps are using how much CPU and RAM, is really something that the user should never have to deal with so I don't consider that a desirable feature that makes Android batter than iOS. I'd personally like to have it but it should not be something any pocketable device should have for standard operation due to a less than ideal nature of how apps are managed.
  • Reply 57 of 179
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Android had better cloud syncing,

Android has better notifications 

Android has better maps

Android has more locking options, none, pattern, slide, pin, and password 

Android has customization widgets  

While I understand not all of these features don't appeal to you but for most of the population they do.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... 

Win vs Mac. The same old crappy arguments.. Been there, done that.

If you don't understand what user experience is then maybe different locking options is for you.

• Reply 58 of 179

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Hey! Look at me. Me! Me!  Me! 

I'm relevant!!!    Me!  Me!  Me! 

• Reply 59 of 179
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Seriously?  What the **** is wrong with people nowadays?  The *FOUNDER* of Apple cannot have a different opinion from you?  Or say anything that is even slightly critical?

Pretty much this. Woz is entitled to his opinion, just like the rest of are. Apple is not perfect, and there is always room for improvement. 

We're an all Apple household (MBA, rMBP, two iPhone 5s), but that doesn't mean that I can't be critical of Apple as well. Too many people get all wrapped up into the "business" of Apple versus the "betterment" of Apple.

• Reply 60 of 179
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Seriously?  What the **** is wrong with people nowadays?  The *FOUNDER* of Apple cannot have a different opinion from you?  Or say anything that is even slightly critical?

Pretty much this. Woz is entitled to his opinion, just like the rest of are. Apple is not perfect, and there is always room for improvement. 

We're an all Apple household (MBA, rMBP, two iPhone 5s), but that doesn't mean that I can't be critical of Apple as well. Too many people get all wrapped up into the "business" of Apple versus the "betterment" of Apple.

Case in point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How do you guys explain the fact that Apple still makes three-quarters of the profits of the smartphone business?