Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features

Comments

• Reply 121 of 179
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing. Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person. Woz is telling Apple truths that they desperately need to hear from a broad customer perspective. Blindly dissing him is juvenile.
  • Reply 122 of 179
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Based on what I've read, I'd flip those names. I want to take some time and learn more about those two…

Same here, based on what I've read and seen, Edison seemed like a douchebag who tried every trick in the book to try and destroy Tesla, including electrocuting Elephants.

• Reply 123 of 179
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

I just don't understand why thinks his opinion matters? He's been out of the company for YEARS. Let it go! haha

He's certainly been out of active participation in the company long enough that 'we' should got be in his vocabulary 

• Reply 124 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Actionable notifications, quick toggles for settings, choice of default app for a given action, widgets, NFC, sharing from one app to any other app that can share, drag and drop files over USB, etc.

Much of which are things that appeal only to the geeky minority. Thus why they haven't been added at this point.

• Reply 125 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

I'm over these inept comments from Woz. What has he done in the past 20 years? He's never designed a phone. He's never designed a GUI. He's just another consumer. Who cares?

Blogs and sites whoring for hits.

• Reply 126 of 179
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing. Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person. Woz is telling Apple truths that they desperately need to hear from a broad customer perspective. Blindly dissing him is juvenile.

So what if somebody is a decent person, and what does that mean anyway? Is a "decent" person immune from criticism? Hell no.

There are plenty of decent people around. The world needs more Steve Jobs like people, decent people are a dime a dozen and quite frankly, decent people are boring. I do not strive to be a decent person. 

And a decent person wouldn't go around in public and criticize the company that they were once a part of, saying all sorts of insane nonsense such as Steve Jobs being reincarnated at Microsoft because of their horrible Surface tablet. That is just crazy talk and it doesn't matter whose mouth it came out of.

Apple should announce that Woz will no longer receive any checks, as a matter of principle. 

• Reply 127 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

No. I won't. NFC, which no one supports is a security nightmare. I'll pass.

Widgets are so bad that even MS dropped them from windows where you had the screen real estate to use them.

Malware grows by leaps and bounds on Android is a a real issue and is going to get bigger.

If you don't consider general smoothness a fundamental requirement, we are too far apart that too agree anytime soon.

Nexus. In other words, there is only one choice. Ask Google Nexus one people how quickly they get supported. Apple is unmatched. Should I get the new Nexus, the one without LTE. Why would I do that?

Some people sell their phones to buy new ones. In many cases, that covers the upgrade. Just because you don't use it doesn't make it unimportant.

Please tell me where this malware comes from?  Can you give me a single source?  It's not on the Play Store or the Amazon App Store.  And if you're running 4.2 it's not coming from any other app installation because Google now scans every app you install if it comes from some place besides the Play Store.

Smoothness is a great aspect of iOS, but it's not the most critical part of an operating system for me.  For me there's a threshold of "smooth enough" that Android currently meets.  That's not to say it's as smooth as iOS.  It isn't.

Nexus is the only current choice for guaranteed updates.  I have a two Nexuses (Nexi?) and they get the updates OTA within two days of the update going live.  The only difference between iPhone updates and Nexus updates is that an iPhone user can pull them whereas a Nexus has to wait for them to be pushed.  I think that getting an update within days (and possibly immediately) of it going live is more than acceptable.

No I don't think you should get a Nexus if it doesn't meet your needs.  I don't have a Nexus 4 because I'm a Verizon subscriber.

In America most people don't sell their smartphones to upgrade because they're usually on a two year contract with a discounted upgrade price.  Not everyone waits for the upgrade, but many do.

• Reply 128 of 179
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's from IG itself not the gallery. Unless the pics in your gallery have a likes counter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No. Nowhere does it show the gallery. It doesn't prove your point.

The picture is the first screenshot, which was the first picture in my camera roll.

• Reply 129 of 179
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Please tell me where this malware comes from?  Can you give me a single source?  It's not on the Play Store or the Amazon App Store.  And if you're running 4.2 it's not coming from any other app installation because Google now scans every app you install if it comes from some place besides the Play Store.

Smoothness is a great aspect of iOS, but it's not the most critical part of an operating system for me.  For me there's a threshold of "smooth enough" that Android currently meets.  That's not to say it's as smooth as iOS.  It isn't.

Nexus is the only current choice for guaranteed updates.  I have a two Nexuses (Nexi?) and they get the updates OTA within two days of the update going live.  The only difference between iPhone updates and Nexus updates is that an iPhone user can pull them whereas a Nexus has to wait for them to be pushed.  I think that getting an update within days (and possibly immediately) of it going live is more than acceptable.

No I don't think you should get a Nexus if it doesn't meet your needs.  I don't have a Nexus 4 because I'm a Verizon subscriber.

In America most people don't sell their smartphones to upgrade because they're usually on a two year contract with a discounted upgrade price.  Not everyone waits for the upgrade, but many do.

The OP just knows malware exists because he read it on the internet.
  • Reply 130 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Your opinion on "behind" seems to boil down to Android does some things differently or includes features of questionable value (NFC). I assume from your opinion you prefer the Android way. It's like saying the iPhone is "behind" because it does not have a 5" screen. If you do want a 5" screen, then Apple is certainly "behind" in that sense.

They aren't behind because they don't offer a 5" screen. They're behind because they don't offer any real choice of screen size. If you want the current model it's 4", take it or leave it. If you're looking at an older model the only choice is 3.5" in a body that's almost as big and actually heavier than the 4" one.

But Android's wealth of choice is a bit of a mirage. Unless you want a phone that's 4.7" or larger there's really nothing but old models and intentionally crippled devices available. Sure there are dozens of them, but most aren't really comparable to the latest iPhone, Windows Phone 8 or even BlackBerry 10 device.

The real advantage of the plethora of small-mid sized Android phones is their low price. They're "good enough" and cheap enough to replace a feature phone.

People who frequent boards like this buy Nexus devices or root their phones to install custom ROMs, but the general public doesn't. Most will be stuck with the OS their phone originally shipped with. According to statistics at Google Play fewer than 2% of Android users have Jelly Bean. More than 50% of Android visitors to Google Play in the 2 week period ending Feb. 4 were still using Gingerbread, Froyo or something even older than that.

I would even reject the argument that new phone purchasers are comparing Android 4.2 to iOS 6.1. Most Android phones available today are shipping with 4.0 and are unlikely to ever get past 4.1 if they even get off 4.0 in the first place. iPhones ship with 6.1 and will be able to run iOS 7 later this year and eventually iOS 8.

The biggest flaw with Android, in my mind, is that it was developed by an advertising agency for the purpose of collecting and selling user data.

• Reply 131 of 179

It is embarrassing reading how people here disrespect the man who is responsible for some of the greatest advances in computing.

One of. Not to diminish its worth, but one of.

Further, he is, unlike Jobs, a genuinely decent person.

I won't pull the "really, insulting a dead person?" card, but I will pull the "you don't have a flipping clue what you're on about" card.

• Reply 132 of 179
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

While many folks are harsh and rude, and while Woz is a hero and did some great work and has been a good to his friends, he and his opinion has been pretty much  irrelevant for about 20 years. And when it gets past technology to ideas on what makes a good product, a good user experience, or a good design or business plan, . . . his opinion has *never* been insightful or informative.

I'm not trying to trash him, I just see this as objectively true. When he's commenting on technology generally, (Apple or not) perhaps he may have some insight. When he start to comment on application of technology, products, users, business, strategy, he's ill equipped and out of his depth.

• Reply 133 of 179
    One of. Not to diminish its worth, but one of.

I won't pull the "really, insulting a dead person?" card, but I will pull the "you don't have a flipping clue what you're on about" card.

Off topic, but congrats on becoming a admin. I just noticed it.
  • Reply 134 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No. Nowhere does it show the gallery. It doesn't prove your point.

The picture is the first screenshot, which was the first picture in my camera roll.

Screenshot of a Photo roll full of screenshots showing I can select any picture from my not the "gallery"* I want and open it in Instagram.

*"Gallery" is probably patented by someone.

• Reply 135 of 179

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Off topic, but congrats on becoming a admin. I just noticed it.

Hopefully people are noticing less spam getting through, as I've been able to tweak settings that I otherwise couldn't. And the return of giving out user titles is nice! Maybe thread-visible avatars, too. 

• Reply 136 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Bleating out the latest meme espoused by thousands of touts, spivs and their misguided fans all over the Internet, more like.

If Wozniak gave some specific examples and explained exactly why iOS is "somewhat behind", then his "truths" might have some credibility.

• Reply 137 of 179
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

The malware comes with the phone . . . It's called "Android."

I'm sure this writer and his sources cannot be correct. Surely NCU made this up. It cannot be possible that any person who buys a smartphone is stuck with the flawed Android OS that it shipped with. Surely Google wouldn't leave them hanging in the wind?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-phones-vulnerable-to-hackers/2013/02/01/f3248922-6723-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html

• Reply 138 of 179
    charlituna wrote: »
    Much of which are things that appeal only to the geeky minority. Thus why they haven't been added at this point.

The only thing even remotely geeky on that list is drag and drop. That's just my opinion of course.
  • Reply 139 of 179
    desuserign wrote: »
    The malware comes with the phone . . . It's called "Android."

I'm sure this writer and his sources cannot be correct. Surely NCU made this up. It cannot be possible that any person who buys a smartphone is stuck with the flawed Android OS that it shipped with. Surely Google wouldn't leave them hanging in the wind?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-phones-vulnerable-to-hackers/2013/02/01/f3248922-6723-11e2-9e1b-07db1d2ccd5b_story.html

There's a risk but no positive occurrences, jailbroken iPhones run the very same risks but that doesn't stop people from doing it.
  • Reply 140 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The only thing even remotely geeky on that list is drag and drop. That's just my opinion of course.

All tech is pointless and geeky if it's just included as bragging rights without being well developed.

PS: iOS has had drag-and-drop since 4.0.