Apple's Ive on naming products: 'We're really quite careful with the words we use'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And that guy still gets a paycheck from Apple, what a joke.

What he may have done or accomplished many decades ago does not make up for the non stop negative Apple comments every time that guy opens his mouth lately.

I don't expect Woz to be an Apple fanboy but I scratch my head why he feels the need to say this stuff all the time.  Why not keep his mouth shut and if he really is worried take it up with Tim Cook?    I mean he has to know every time he says this stuff it's broadcast all over the web. image

• Reply 62 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"Paycheck"?  What is his job title?

I'm not sure what his job title is, but it should be anti-Apple propagandist.

I think that I remember reading that Woz still collects a small paycheck from Apple. It's not a big sum.

• Reply 63 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't expect Woz to be an Apple fanboy but I scratch my head why he feels the need to say this stuff all the time.  Why not keep his mouth shut and if he really is worried take it up with Tim Cook?    I mean he has to know every time he says this stuff it's broadcast all over the web. image

Yeah, there is so much FUD spread around about Apple now. Isn't there enough rumors, lies and worthless opinions around, that we certainly don't need Woz adding to the heap?

Whenever I see an article with Apple and Woz in the title, I know that I am going to get pissed off before I even click on it.

• Reply 64 of 98

Quote:

And that guy still gets a paycheck from Apple, what a joke.

What he may have done or accomplished many decades ago does not make up for the non stop negative Apple comments every time that guy opens his mouth lately.

Maybe we should cut the man some slack. No Woz, no Apple. Furthermore, he did suffer a serious head injury.

• Reply 65 of 98

Quote:

I think that I remember reading that Woz still collects a small paycheck from Apple. It's not a big sum.

$100k/yr, if I remember correctly. No meager sum either.

• Reply 66 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Maybe we should cut the man some slack. No Woz, no Apple. Furthermore, he did suffer a serious head injury.

Yeah, I believe that he was in some sort of airplane crash a long time ago.

And yes of course he was extremely important to Apple in the beginning, I don't think that anybody is denying that.

I just think that it's poor form for him to be going around and making comments that are not positive for Apple. It would be better if he said nothing at all, IMO. It's like walking around and trashing one of your family members in public, it's just not a cool thing to do.

• Reply 67 of 98
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 68 of 98

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is still accurate or up to date, but according to this, he receives a bit less than 100k per year.

As employee No. 1, Woz still receives a nominal salary of about $12,000 per year from Apple. 

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.09/woz_pr.html

• Reply 69 of 98

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is still accurate or up to date, but according to this, he receives a bit less than 100k per year.

As employee No. 1, Woz still receives a nominal salary of about $12,000 per year from Apple. 

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.09/woz_pr.html

Could be. I am working from memory, and didn't bother searching.

• Reply 70 of 98

Quote:

Yeah, I believe that he was in some sort of airplane crash a long time ago.

And yes of course he was extremely important to Apple in the beginning, I don't think that anybody is denying that.

I just think that it's poor form for him to be going around and making comments that are not positive for Apple. It would be better if he said nothing at all, IMO. It's like walking around and trashing one of your family members in public, it's just not a cool thing to do.

I think he suffered some form of amnesia. This is pure conjecture, but perhaps that also affected his emotion ties to Apple. Furthermore, Steve Jobs was not one to hold his mouth. I don't think too many Apple admirers admonished his "freedom of speech" when he was alive. So why apply a different standard to Woz?

• Reply 71 of 98
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And there's nothing square (all definitions) about it. Lol
    Have you seen one ?
  • Reply 72 of 98
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hfts wrote: »
    Have you seen one ?

Many more than you have, and in person.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156080/apples-ive-on-naming-products-were-really-quite-careful-with-the-words-we-use/60#post_2281180"]Yeah, there is so much FUD spread around about Apple now. Isn't there enough rumors, lies and worthless opinions around, that we certainly don't need Woz adding to the heap?

Whenever I see an article with Apple and Woz in the title, I know that I am going to get pissed off before I even click on it.

Woz is welcome to his opinion. And I'm welcome to not care.
  • Reply 74 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"Paycheck"?  What is his job title?

When Woz left Apple, he kept his employee number -- but he has no title, no job at Apple and does not receive a paycheck.

AIR, Woz sold (and gifted to family) most of his AAPL stock in the 1980s.  Later, when Apple was suffering hard times, I believe Woz invested a large sum in AAPL as a very public statement of support.

• Reply 75 of 98
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Maybe we should cut the man some slack. No Woz, no Apple. ...

Not true. 

No Steve Jobs == no Apple.  

No Woz == slightly slower to start, and not quite as good at first, Apple.  

His skills were rare at the time, but not unique.  

• Reply 76 of 98

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are wrong.  I'd be interested to see any citation.

• Reply 77 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Maybe we should cut the man some slack. No Woz, no Apple. ...

Not true. 

No Steve Jobs == no Apple.  

No Woz == slightly slower to start, and not quite as good at first, Apple.  

His skills were rare at the time, but not unique.  

No way to prove this one way or another…

But I suggest to you that both Steve's personalities -- one of bulldog bluster,  and one with  nerdy naïveté -- were the perfect combination to create the Apple Computer.

From what I know (and observed) at that time:

• No tech engineer but Woz would have tolerated Jobs

• No one but Jobs could have motivated and targeted the energies of Woz

• and then there was Mike Markkula -- with the business acumen and sensitivity to catalyze the two Steve's abilities and make Apple into a viable business

• Reply 78 of 98
    • and then there was Mike Markkula -- with the business acumen and sensitivity to catalyze the two Steve's abilities and make Apple into a viable business
    [/quote]

Excellent points!
  • Reply 79 of 98
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe you are wrong.  I'd be interested to see any citation.

I found one reference to him getting about 120K per year. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak#cite_note-iWoz-1

Woz kinda jokes off the question, saying he doesn't even look at the paychecks. Says maybe a couple hundred every two weeks or something. 

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/08/25/exp.piers.wozniak.jobs.reaction.cnn#/video/bestoftv/2011/08/25/exp.piers.wozniak.jobs.reaction.cnn

• Reply 80 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No way to prove this one way or another…

But I suggest to you that both Steve's personalities -- one of bulldog bluster,  and one with  nerdy naïveté -- were the perfect combination to create the Apple Computer.

I agree with all your points but I'd like to propose a what if scenario: What if they had never met?

We know Woz was a brilliant engineer, he likely have continued to work at HP, and likely still be one of the many multi-millionaires that came out of Silicon Valley at that time. But would he be a household name? I think it's much less likely without Jobs.

Now Jobs is a more tricky because his character embodies the entrepreneur which is no different than an explorer or adventurer in business. He is the risk taker. He is a thrill seeker. He is a gambler. He may have found another brilliant engineer and still started Apple or some other company that became just as successful. That part of this personality allows him to not require Woz but other talented people in many other fields in which to focus his will into a reality.

Regardless of whatever scenario may have been I'd quite happy to live in a timeline where Woz and Jobs did make history and Apple has pushed the rest of the world in creating better products for 4 decades.