Apple's Ive on naming products: 'We're really quite careful with the words we use'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    jungmark wrote: »
    Sammy just announced the Samsung Galaxy Box. It's has > 1700 cubic inches of volume, a retractable set of chopstick. It's also made with HD plastic. it also comes with "gas station sushi."

Better yet it'll carry a 6ft hero/sub with ease.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And dots are zero length lines.

I would argue that a dot has length and width, just that it's quite minute. I would use the word point to refer to a zero-length line, which is often represented by a dot simply because it's impossible for us to make something visual giving it at both dimensions. :D
  • Reply 43 of 98
    philboogie wrote: »
    So much for doubling-down on security ¡

LOL at the box remark. Over here some use it to refer to a woman's, well, can't use the C word I presume.

But you can call a show "Blue Peter", ha ha ha. I know, I know, 8th grade humor, but it keeps me young.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Unsurprised. All part of natural selection.

Well it started with "Apple is (currently) restricted (by it's design language)" and then waffled off into a description of "Snow White" which hasn't been relevant or even in use in a decade.  

It failed to mention anything about the HIG which would have been more relevant to the point.  

• Reply 45 of 98
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 46 of 98
    citycity Posts: 522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina View Post

Not sure what his comments have to do with the naming of products.  Seems it's more about not having a name define the path you go down when designing a product.

Title should be "...Ive's on designing products..." Apple wants to find their own solutions without preconceived design decisions. This is not a new approach to designing. I was exposed to it in the Architectural program at UC Berkeley in the early 1970s.  It served me well!

• Reply 47 of 98
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    He wasn't just talking about the product names, but also about the fact that words can hinder ideas during the development process.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Actually he is talking about the creative brief here rather than naming the actual product.
  • Reply 49 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The HIG governs software (and only third-party software; internally Apple takes liberties with their own HIG), while Snow White was about hardware design.

Indeed. (Important to note, however, that there was significant synergy between Bill Atkinson and Esslinger, the father of Snow White design language.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well it started with "Apple is (currently) restricted (by it's design language)" and then waffled off into a description of "Snow White" which hasn't been relevant or even in use in a decade.  

It failed to mention anything about the HIG which would have been more relevant to the point.  

So tell us why HIG would be more relevant to industrial design than Snow White. In my simple, irrelevant world, the term design language is used much more often in industrial design than software UI. But hey, do tell as I am here to learn.

• Reply 50 of 98
    gazoobee wrote: »

This is what some refer to as doubling down on stupid. Quit while you're behind.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    stelligent wrote: »
    Indeed. (Important to note, however, that there was significant synergy between Bill Atkinson and Esslinger, the father of Snow White design language.)

So tell us why HIG would be more relevant to industrial design than Snow White. In my simple, irrelevant world, the term design language is used much more often in industrial design than software UI. But hey, do tell as I am here to learn.

Is it necessary to keep baiting him? Is it necessary to digress into another pissing match, knowing his record of never giving ground even when wrong?
  • Reply 52 of 98
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would argue that a dot has length and width, just that it's quite minute. I would use the word point to refer to a zero-length line, which is often represented by a dot simply because it's impossible for us to make something visual giving it at both dimensions. :D

You're correct. Point was the word I was trying to convey.
  • Reply 53 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would argue that a dot has length and width, just that it's quite minute. I would use the word point to refer to a zero-length line, which is often represented by a dot simply because it's impossible for us to make something visual giving it at both dimensions. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I could be wrong, but AFAIK there is no formal definition of a dot in math. But a point is formally defined as being dimensionless and therefore cannot be considered to have zero length.

• Reply 54 of 98
    stelligent wrote: »
    But a point is formally defined as being dimensionless and therefore cannot be considered to have zero length.

There are two kinds of points in geometry. There is the zero-dimensional point as being discussed previously and there is the lesser-known point-free geometry that I only know about in concept but couldn't explain even on my best day. The latter one appears to fall into your dimensionless notion.

• Reply 55 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would argue that a dot has length and width, just that it's quite minute. I would use the word point to refer to a zero-length line, which is often represented by a dot simply because it's impossible for us to make something visual giving it at both dimensions. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I could be wrong, but AFAIK there is no formal definition of a dot in math. But a point is formally defined as being dimensionless and therefore cannot be considered to have zero length.

What's your dot?

SOT... it looks like an iTaco

• Reply 56 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't care what Apple calls one of the iPads that I own. As far as I'm concerned it's the iPad 3, not the new iPad, since it isn't exactly new anymore, and there's an iPad 4 out. As a matter of fact, people can't even buy "the new iPad" anymore.

• Reply 57 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's your dot?

SOT... it looks like an iTaco

Getting personal, aren't we? ;-)

• Reply 58 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Watch out Jony, Woz says Apple is losing its cool and has to rely more on its brand now.

http://www.cultofmac.com/216693/woz-apples-dangerously-close-to-losing-its-cool/

• Reply 59 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Watch out Jony, Woz says Apple is losing its cool and has to rely more on its brand now.

http://www.cultofmac.com/216693/woz-apples-dangerously-close-to-losing-its-cool/

And that guy still gets a paycheck from Apple, what a joke.

What he may have done or accomplished many decades ago does not make up for the non stop negative Apple comments every time that guy opens his mouth lately.

• Reply 60 of 98
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted