Sony announces PS4, touts unification of hardware, software, internet capabilities

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    This happened to my first-gen "fat" PS3 10 minutes after upgrading, and no update since then has addressed the problem. I can't play *any* blu-ray media (game or movie) for more than 10-15 minutes before I get an error screen. Since the version 3 firmware was issued after the warranty period ended, and the upgrade is MANDATORY (Sony demands that you update firmware OR else lose the ability to run newer games), Sony bricked my PS3 and expects ME to pay for repairs? The alternative explanation is that it's all a coincidence, and the blu-ray drives that are getting bricked had a 2.5 year lifespan anyway, which is not much better an explanation. As a Sony customer, and an early adopter to boot, I deserved better.

That's no good, but people often wonder why some countries have such strong consumer laws…

I have a first-gen European fat PS3, still working great with 4.31
  • Reply 82 of 106
    alfiejr wrote: »
    no i didn't watch. it goes on and on. there is no press release i can find with a summary.

http://nz.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item583727/Say-hello-to-PlayStation-4/
  • Reply 83 of 106
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    no i didn't watch. it goes on and on. there is no press release i can find with a summary.

I came across this one:

http://technabob.com/blog/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-specs-games-announced/
    the PS3 can do a lot of non-gaming stuff, yes, but often poorly as you note. few use it as their primary non-gaming ecosystem interface. if the PS4 doesn't make that great somehow, it can never compete with the rest - Apple, Amazon, Google, MS, et al. Sony's tablets and phones are distant also-rans in their markets. and is their ecosystem Sony's or Google's?

Don't forget PS3 was developed around 2005 - 2006. Before iPhone, before iPad, before... lots of things we take for granted today. It is also heavily limited with system resources. I still get amazed with what they managed to pull out from 256MB of RAM and 256MB of VRAM. That is below what smartphones and tablets have for a while, and I'm yet to see a game in the same class as Uncharted 2 and 3. Or Killzone 2 and 3. Or... take your pick.

In addition. There are "independent" (non-Apple, non-Google, non-MS, non-Amazon) services which do well, and might be interested in partnership with console maker. Sony presented slide with maybe 16 different services they have already partnered with. I've noticed Facebook, Hulu Plus, Netflick. They also mentioned their own Sony Music and Sony Video (or whatever their movies/TV department is called). Put them all together, and one can get spoiled - without iTunes. Question is, how well will they integrate, and how competitive will they be in terms of pricing etc. That remains to be seen.
    the just announced iOS app for the PS4 is a big step in the right direction tho. if Sony had sense they would cut a deal with Apple to integrate all their hardware with the iOS ecosystem - apps, AirPlay, everything. most of their products Apple does not compete with. and then ditch their Android and Windows gadgets, where they are just one of many OEM's in a race to the bottom.

Really? Ditch integration with PC, Android phones and tablets (which Sony also happens to make)? Please.
    but they won't. they aren't desperate enough - yet.

I think that is reason, not desperation (or lack of it). Sony's company with rich media background. Not trying to take advantage of their own services would be real stupidity.
  • Reply 84 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the PlayStation 4 is a game console so, of course, a primary focus is on games.

tablets and consoles exist in different markets so it was rather pointless to bring up the "tablets are continuing to outsell consoles" foolishness.

We will see. With a probably $500 console and most likely $80 games who is going to buy a video games console over an ipad  and $5 games?  Then to get the full experience you have to have a tablet or psp vita.

Look at what epic is doing graphics wise on the ipad and iphone and for cheap.

Sony is trying to compete for the dwindling numbers of hardcore gamers.  I really think that this system will be way to expensive compaired to say an ipad or ipad mini.

• Reply 85 of 106
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    We will see. With a probably $500 console and most likely $80 games who is going to buy a video games console over an ipad  and $5 games?  Then to get the full experience you have to have a tablet or psp vita.

Sony is trying to compete for the dwindling numbers of hardcore gamers.  I really think that this system will be way to expensive compaired to say an ipad or ipad mini.

I doubt that the price of games will go up. What makes you think that the number of hardcore gamers is going down? Hardware sales might be down but only because they've been selling it for 7 years. A game released today can be played on a PS3 bought on Day 1 or yesterday.
  • Reply 86 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

A game like Destiny could never be put on an iPad.  That is the difference between an iPad game and a game on a console.  

People love their iPad and iPhone games but most of them have no shelf life.  I stopped playing games on my phone a long time ago because I would get bored with them after a week.  Most of them have no story and are the same thing over and over again until you die, and the game restarts.

People that will buy a ps4 or a 720, or a Wii U will want quality games that are complex and have depth.

• Reply 87 of 106

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Let the bad-mouthing begin!

They've been copying Nintendo for nearly two decades. They deserve it.

Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Is Sony -still- living in 1993?

Been copying Nintendo for that long… image

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The PlayStation 3 has outsold the Xbox 360.

And the Wii outsold them both COMBINED.

• Reply 88 of 106

And the Wii outsold them both COMBINED.

And the PS2 has sold more than the Wii

What is your point?
  • Reply 89 of 106

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And the PS2 has sold more than the Wii

What is your point?

Irrelevant; different generation, longer sales time, etc. 

• Reply 90 of 106
    Irrelevant; different generation, longer sales time, etc. 

Well some would say the Wii is a different generation to the PS3, and XBOX 360, I would say the Wii is more in the PS2 camp
  • Reply 91 of 106

Well some would say the Wii is a different generation to the PS3, and XBOX 360, I would say the Wii is more in the PS2 camp

"Some" are completely wrong, is all.

• Reply 92 of 106
    "Some" are completely wrong, is all.

Really, The Wii is a SD console, XBox 360 and PS3 are HD, there is a big generational gap to start with.
  • Reply 93 of 106

Really, The Wii is a SD console, XBox 360 and PS3 are HD, there is a big generational gap to start with.

No, see, this is meaningless. They're the same generation. You can't argue otherwise.

And I don't know why you are; the Wii being an "earlier" generation makes the anemic sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 that have "better graphics" even more embarrassing.

• Reply 94 of 106
    No, see, this is meaningless. They're the same generation. You can't argue otherwise.

And I don't know why you are; the Wii being an "earlier" generation makes the anemic sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 that have "better graphics" even more embarrassing.

And how is the attachment rate of the Wii going?
  • Reply 95 of 106

And how is the attachment rate of the Wii going?

*shrug* You tell me. Your claim, after all, is that it's lower than the other consoles'; except since the Wii has sold more overall, that sounds implausible. 

• Reply 96 of 106
    *shrug* You tell me. Your claim, after all, is that it's lower than the other consoles'; except since the Wii has sold more overall, that sounds implausible. 

It sounds implausible? Why? Do you have an any insight into the game purchasing habit of Wii users. I know from my own personal experience, everyone I know with a Wii has around 1-3 games, everyone that plays on PS3, or PC has 40+ games
  • Reply 97 of 106

The Japanese Bandai Pippin (Atmark Player) and wireless controller

There you go. An Apple game console.

• Reply 98 of 106

Do you have an any insight into the game purchasing habit of Wii users. I know from my own personal experience, everyone I know with a Wii has around 1-3 games, everyone that plays on PS3, or PC has 40+ games

The complete opposite is true, in my experience. Which is why we'll probably need something beyond anecdotal evidence to finish this up.

• Reply 99 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The complete opposite is true, in my experience. Which is why we'll probably need something beyond anecdotal evidence to finish this up.

When's the last time you tried to find articles from 2008 on a search engine?!  It's not easy but I found a few:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080421/131636905.shtml

http://kotaku.com/382123/wii-owners-dont-buy-games

But wait, those are half baked, no-name sites.  What do they know?  Then there's this article from another source called the "New York Times".  

http://goo.gl/FllSV

The only people I know that own more Wii games than Xbox games don't own an Xbox.  Given your love for Nintendo, it's no surprise your acquaintances have more Wii games, assuming they share your fondness.  All of our observations are anecdotal, but broader studies support the idea that Wii owners don't buy as many games.

• Reply 100 of 106

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

When's the last time you tried to find articles from 2008 on a search engine?! 

So why is a study from 2008 valid today?