Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, when any of my aluminum products starts to actually oxidize, I'll be sure to let you know.

You mean your *coated* aluminum products. Remove a bit of coating and we can start putting money on the table.

• Reply 62 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Hturt Seaker View Post

You mean your *coated* aluminum products. Remove a bit of coating and we can start putting money on the table.

What manner of coating would my Mac Pro, first-gen iPhone, Cinema Display, MacBook Pro, and iPad have?

• Reply 63 of 144
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've seen aluminum get oxidized to the point that it became powder so yes it can be rubbed off.

Yes, me too. But not the aluminium on an iPhone or Mac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hturt Seaker View Post

A white, ferrous like, oxide mark on my cellphone is not something I would call premium feel. The rust comes off with rubbing (say in your pants) and will oxide again. Not fashionable.

Making shit up now.

• Reply 64 of 144

Quote:

Someone has no understanding how oxidation works.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

But there's a lot of misinformation about aluminum oxidation in this thread.  Any piece of aluminum exposed to air is already oxidized, you scratch it and it will oxidize again in a few picoseconds and it's basically just a few molecules thick at the surface. You'd have to scratch for a long long time to get any significant amount of oxide, so for most intents & purposes aluminum behaves like a metal that doesn't oxidize, even if it's not anodized.  Now aluminum may corrode in a gavalnic reaction if it comes in contact with say, copper, or if it comes in contact with something that dissolves the oxide layer like methanol, but that's another story.

• Reply 65 of 144
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Scratch/drop it so that the coating is gone and you will see. Just because yours has not hit the floor or been scratched it does not mean it will not. People drops phones all the time.

if that's the case, i'm sure there is website depicting all the "rusted" iphones. Since you seem to know everything, what's the link?

• Reply 66 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by kForceZero View Post

But there's a lot of misinformation about aluminum oxidation in this thread.  Any piece of aluminum exposed to air is already oxidized, you scratch it and it will oxidize again in a few picoseconds and it's basically just a few molecules thick at the surface. You'd have to scratch for a long long time to get any significant amount of oxide, so for most intents & purposes aluminum behaves like a metal that doesn't oxidize, even if it's not anodized.  Now aluminum may corrode in a gavalnic reaction if it comes in contact with say, copper, or if it comes in contact with something that dissolves the oxide layer like methanol, but that's another story.

But... but... apparently the iPhone in my jeans pocket will corrode and leave an unfashionable stain on them!!!1! According to our new friend, Hturt Seaker.

• Reply 67 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Making shit up now.

-Refutes argument (At least he thinks he does) with passive aggressive comment and no evidence.

-Thinks he is cool.

• Reply 68 of 144

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodespreferentially to another when both metals are in electrical contact and immersed in anelectrolyte. The same galvanic reaction is exploited in primary batteries to generate a voltage.

Good to know that if my iPhone ever gets struck by lightning that it will corrode. Otherwise it's probably fine. And my Mac Pro?

Annodizing is a common process used to further increase aluminum’s corrosion and abrasion resistance, as well

as a method to chemically bond colorant to the surface. Anodization is achieved by artificially thickening the natural oxide layer. This film can be made many times thicker than what would otherwise be formed. 

Extra protection.

• Reply 69 of 144
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    What does the premium feel matter when the phone is tucked inside a case?
  • Reply 70 of 144
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Curious as to why Samsung is getting so much favorable publicity on APPLEinsider though...

Somewhat concerning. Especially knowing how sites like this need to acquire funding...
  • Reply 71 of 144

Quote:

But there's a lot of misinformation about aluminum oxidation in this thread.  Any piece of aluminum exposed to air is already oxidized, you scratch it and it will oxidize again in a few picoseconds and it's basically just a few molecules thick at the surface. You'd have to scratch for a long long time to get any significant amount of oxide, so for most intents & purposes aluminum behaves like a metal that doesn't oxidize, even if it's not anodized.

Yes, aluminum + oxygen = Thin layer of corrosion. If it is left untouched and no PH changes happen, which is the very best case scenario.

Quote:

Now aluminum may corrode in a gavalnic reaction if it comes in contact with say, copper, or if it comes in contact with something that dissolves the oxide layer like methanol, but that's another story.

And Iphones are not tossed into bags/pockets with multiple metals and in contact with multiple solutions.

• Reply 72 of 144

Quote:

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodespreferentially to another when both metals are in electrical contact and immersed in anelectrolyte. The same galvanic reaction is exploited in primary batteries to generate a voltage.

Good to know that if my iPhone ever gets struck by lightning that it will corrode. Otherwise it's probably fine. And my Mac Pro?

If you had read further than the overview in Wikipedia, you would had read this:

"Dissimilar metals and alloys have different electrode potentials and when two or more come into contact in an electrolyte, one metal acts as anode and the other as cathode. The potential difference between the dissimilar metals is the driving force for the accelerated attack on the anode member of the galvanic couple. The anode metal dissolves into the electrolyte, and deposition is formed on the cathodic metal.

The electrolyte provides a means for ion migration whereby metallic ions can move from the anode to the cathode. This leads to the anodic metal corroding more quickly than it otherwise would; the corrosion of the cathodic metal is retarded even to the point of stopping. The presence of an electrolyte and an electronic conducting path between the metals is essential for galvanic corrosion to occur."

Easier: 2 different metals + electrolyte (like water, salt water is more effective though) = Galvanic corrosion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Annodizing is a common process used to further increase aluminum’s corrosion and abrasion resistance, as well

as a method to chemically bond colorant to the surface. Anodization is achieved by artificially thickening the natural oxide layer. This film can be made many times thicker than what would otherwise be formed.

Extra protection.

***To the surface***

Also, if the Aluminum is to be painted is not going to be anodized since they will use primer.

• Reply 73 of 144

***To the surface***

Also, if the Aluminum is to be painted is not going to be anodized since they will use primer.

'Kay. And?

• Reply 74 of 144
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

What's the saying about polishing turds?

Watch out for the corn?

• Reply 75 of 144

Interesting that neither my first gen iPhone from 2007, nor my old Powerbook G4 from 2004, both featuring aircraft grade aluminum, have any evidence of oxidation whatsoever, despite suffering horrendous abuse.

good try though.

• Reply 76 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

What does the premium feel matter when the phone is tucked inside a case?

when it's like mine and never in a case. 

Seriously, that's like asking why is tile better than linoleum if you have a mat on top of it...

The mat and the case come off.

And having a metal computer is pretty awesome too.

• Reply 77 of 144

Quote:

-Refutes argument (At least he thinks he does) with passive aggressive comment and no evidence.

-Thinks he is cool.

cool...

which of those is the iPhone?

Want to see pictures of damaged, frozen, cracked, yellowed plastic?

• Reply 78 of 144

Quote:

LOL 

• Reply 79 of 144

Quote:

-Thinks he is cool.

No photos of iPhones or Macs there. As I said, you are making shit up.

• Reply 80 of 144

Quote:

And Iphones are not tossed into bags/pockets with multiple metals and in contact with multiple solutions.

So your point about oxidisation/corrosion is completely irrelevant. Where's that unfashionable corrosion/oxidisation stain on your jeans now? Just stop making stuff up.

This guy should be banned for the nonsense he is spouting.