Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by Hturt Seaker View Post

Anecdotal evidence logical fallacy.

This statement is itself a logical fallacy, the evidence isn't necessarily untrue merely because it's anecdotal.

My desk lamp is switched on and producing light as I type this, does this fact become untrue because I am the only one to witness it?

(Sounds like a variation of the good old tree falling in the woods question...)

It merely is more difficult for observer and challenger to prove or disprove.

Furthermore, without evidence, aren't your posts no more anecdotal than mstone's?

• Reply 82 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    kdarling wrote: »
    The Galaxy S3's body is polycarbonate.

Plastic is plastic, even with an old picture of you and the old lady . ;)
  • Reply 83 of 144
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Hturt Seaker,

Like 99.9% of people, who try to make a point against iPhone, you have as usual gone off base with your comments/rebuttals, since many people have provided logical feedback, that firstly iPhone is premium product, secondly majority of consumers have not had any issues with oxidation (I use majority in since probably (90% or more) and thirdly Polycarbonate is 'cheap' look and there is no logical information, you can provide me that change our minds, since many critics express this view for Samsung SIII.

You were trying to make a point about the iPhone and oxidation, probably because you thought, since this phone is made of Aluminium, it has problems with oxidation, which I may add, you  have not given any factual evidence that IF this does occur AND more important is an issue for the consumer.

Now you are trying to tell us about oxidation in general sense and all many of crap, which has no relevance to this discussion and really, you have not make your point about iPhone and you cannot let go.

Please for love of God, just stay silent and learn from your mistakes.

• Reply 84 of 144
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It wouldn't even matter if Samsung's newest phone was wrapped in pure platinum with a solid gold back plate. If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold. The turd here is Android, and Android hardware doesn't really interest me at all.

• Reply 85 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold.

Worst part is that it's that edible gold leaf you see on unnecessarily fancy foods.

• Reply 86 of 144

Oh Genesis fruit pickers... liquid metal (we thought of it first so it's better), and polycarb plastic sucks because we say so. 

Have fun with that aluminum stuff the next time you are in a hospital. 

• Reply 87 of 144
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Plastic is never a premium feeling. It's always the second cheaper choice to realize mass products without premium strategy. Plastic means: We want your maximum bunch of money but we don't give any high quality. We are just looking how to maximize our profit without a real interest in user experience.

Samsung phones look and feel like garbage, but the Nokia Lumia 920's polycarbonate is pretty amazing.

EDIT:

I have to scratch my head at the naysayers of plastic vs. aluminum. Yes, plastic is better able to absorb impacts, but what about that drop test where the iPhone 5 fared so much better than the GS3? Clearly there is more to this than simple materials choice.

• Reply 88 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Oh Genesis fruit pickers... liquid metal (we thought of it first so it's better), and polycarb plastic sucks because we say so. 

Aside from being a completely nonsensical attack of Apple for the sake of being an attack against Apple, what the heck are you trying to say here?

• Reply 89 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I've seen aluminum get oxidized to the point that it became powder so yes it can be rubbed off.

I know what you mean, but I've got a few nicks on an otherwise *lightly used* 2007 MBP and there's no such powder. This isn't like a car wheel that's punished by road salts or something like that. It takes something pretty aggressive to get that bad. I'll see if I can dig up some machined, non-anodized parts that I made eight years ago. Suffice to say, the aluminum will outlast the device.

Huh? Did you just go passive-aggresive on us? You're free to explain in non-vague terms. I bet what you're thinking is either baloney, or overblown for such minimal contact. There's no "black lung" equivalent for people that handle finished aluminum products, even for those that have machined it for a career, much less for people that touch it occasionally.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    The word "premium" exists in Shamesuck dictionary ? Not shame and suck ? And copy ?
  • Reply 91 of 144
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Samsung calls anything "premium" to try to fool people. They fool themselves all the time.
  • Reply 92 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see Android users all the time using phones with cracked screens but I'm sure a little scratch or oxidation would be completely unacceptable. Phones have a maximum life expectancy of about 5 years. Even if you left a piece of uncoated aluminum such as the old aluminum windows, out in the elements for 20 years the oxidation would be so minimal that you could polish it back to new condition with no trouble at all.

What does android have to do with it... I see people with iPhones with cracked screens all the time. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It wouldn't even matter if Samsung's newest phone was wrapped in pure platinum with a solid gold back plate. If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold. The turd here is Android, and Android hardware doesn't really interest me at all.

Please if you do not mind I am just curious as to what in your expert opinion is the reason that android is crap. And why is it that millions of people are buying it over the other options. One of my friends just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S III she is not a fandroid she just liked it better (Despite me telling her the S IV would be coming out soon).

• Reply 93 of 144
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Samsung's Galaxy S3 is made from Polycarbonate.

Here is an article about Polycarbonate stopping a bullet.

http://www.inthehopper.org/industry-news/polyurethane-stops-bullets-could-work-in-body-armor/

• Reply 94 of 144
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Please if you do not mind I am just curious as to what in your expert opinion is the reason that android is crap. And why is it that millions of people are buying it over the other options. One of my friends just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S III she is not a fandroid she just liked it better (Despite me telling her the S IV would be coming out soon).

I've never claimed to be an expert, though I am obviously vastly more informed than the average person walking around on the street, and so are probably most people who follow sites such as this one, with a few exceptions here and there, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent.

There are so many reasons to give as to why Android is crap, and I'm not going to be here all night listing all of them, so I'll just choose one good reason as to why I personally think that Android is crap.

I'm big into audio and audio is terrible on Android. I love using music apps on iOS. There are a lot of nice synths being released all of the time from various companies. On Android there is this morbid latency which makes audio and music unsuitable for any human with ears. When somebody presses a key on a keyboard, they can't wait around for a half an hour before the sound is actually triggered. And when I mean a half an hour, I don't mean a half an hour literally, the delay may only be in the hundredths of milliseconds, but that delay is very noticeable and completely unacceptable. It's not even useable for amateur use, let alone any professional usage. This problem has been written about many places on the internet, so what I am pointing out here shouldn't exactly be a mystery to anybody.

As to why millions of people are choosing Android, there aren't really that many options out there, and you do have a lot of the carriers pushing a nauseating assortment of Android phones. I assume that economics plays a role, as does poor taste and general ignorance being some of the contributing factors. And as for your anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt it, maybe they just wanted a larger phone. Everybody has different priorities, and my priorities tell me that I would never in a million years use or choose any Android device.

• Reply 95 of 144
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.
    I a chemist.
    Polymers are long chain organic compounds and plastics are polymers.
    Polycarbonate is a polymer.
    Hence polycarbonate is a plastic.
    Sheesh
    KD are you all together there?
  • Reply 96 of 144
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why am I reading about how Samsung builds its phones on an Apple site?

Probably because this Apple Insider site feels the comment on Samsung's plastic case being superior is funny.

I feel that Samsung comment is just so much marketing BS.

• Reply 97 of 144
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuri View Post

How about giving our good earth a break ... with so much plastic, looks to me its a step backwards.

Good point, a plastic case just adds to the not recycled trash pile.

Then there's the fact that the plastic cases usually pop off when dropped.

Also a plastic case can never protect these devices from bending stresses when in one's pocket.

What the hell, plastic is simply cheaper to produce,

but is inferior for protection.

• Reply 98 of 144
    jbeez17jbeez17 Posts: 9member
    This is becoming too funny how this site is becoming nothing but Apple apologists pushing the envelope even further. You guys give Samsung more press than most of the big tech sites!! That's seriously awesome...at least Samsung phone upgrades now give the consumer an element of surprise. Iphone 5S...they might give a 4.1 inch screen. Shhhh....don't tell the BIG secrets.
  • Reply 99 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never claimed to be an expert, though I am obviously vastly more informed than the average person walking around on the street, and so are probably most people who follow sites such as this one, with a few exceptions here and there, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent.

There are so many reasons to give as to why Android is crap, and I'm not going to be here all night listing all of them, so I'll just choose one good reason as to why I personally think that Android is crap.

I'm big into audio and audio is terrible on Android. I love using music apps on iOS. There are a lot of nice synths being released all of the time from various companies. On Android there is this morbid latency which makes audio and music unsuitable for any human with ears. When somebody presses a key on a keyboard, they can't wait around for a half an hour before the sound is actually triggered. And when I mean a half an hour, I don't mean a half an hour literally, the delay may only be in the hundredths of milliseconds, but that delay is very noticeable and completely unacceptable. It's not even useable for amateur use, let alone any professional usage. This problem has been written about many places on the internet, so what I am pointing out here shouldn't exactly be a mystery to anybody.

As to why millions of people are choosing Android, there aren't really that many options out there, and you do have a lot of the carriers pushing a nauseating assortment of Android phones. I assume that economics plays a role, as does poor taste and general ignorance being some of the contributing factors. And as for your anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt it, maybe they just wanted a larger phone. Everybody has different priorities, and my priorities tell me that I would never in a million years use or choose any Android device.

That's odd I find no such lag present on my Nexus 4. I love listening to music on my phone I have no problems with the quality and I am almost certain android has more music player apps than IOS. Try a nexus 4 out you will be pleasantly surprised at what a nice piece of tech it is (minus the lack of lte and its crap camera) its a one, if not the best smart phone you can buy

• Reply 100 of 144
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They really just need a rubberized rim around it. Make it all soft, like the first Zunes.

Did the irony escape you?