Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 144
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I can't believe anyone is arguing over plastic, glass and aluminum.

What's the difference in cost?  A few dollars at most?

None of them are what is usually considered to be a "premium" material... they're more in the mass "recyclable" category.

Try giving your girlfriend an aluminum ring, while telling her that at least it's better than a plastic one.

There is no scientific definition for "premium material"; however, there are informal, industry-specific definitions. Furthermore, not all types of plastic, aluminum alloys or types of glass are created equal. In certain applications, certain aluminum alloys and certain types of glass would indeed be considered premium material.

Having said that, I agree that this debate is specious, particularly when most people are just plain wrong (you're, by and large, an exception in this thread).

• Reply 142 of 144
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.

I a chemist.

Polymers are long chain organic compounds and plastics are polymers.

Polycarbonate is a polymer.

Hence polycarbonate is a plastic.

Sheesh

KD are you all together there?

I am not sure what type of chemist you are, but invoking your background is not relevant or smart (particularly with such a pronouncement as "I a chemist"), particularly specious because your arguments are simply fallacious.

Let's examine your logic ... or rather, mistakes.

1. "Polymers are long chain organic compounds"

Polymers in general do not have to be long-chained (note the "ed" - use the participle as an adjective). Nor do they have to be organic. Two mistakes already and we are only half-way through the first sentence ... Should I go on? Why not?

2. "Plastics are polymers. Polycarbonate is a polymer. Hence polycarbonate is a plastic."

Are you kidding me? Let's try this corollary (which will give some of us a coronary from laughing):

"Idiots are human. You are human. Hence you are an idiot."

Sheesh, are you altogether there?

Furthermore, there are many polymers which are not plastics. So, not only is your logic is (make that idiotic), your self-proclaimed scientific knowledge is flawed.

I was mistaken about one thing. I do know what type of chemist you are. A misguided one. I imagine you will be proclaiming yourself to be an engineer or professional investor in the next thread.

KD can be an arrogant SOB. But he knows what he is talking about most of the time. You, sir, are a poser of the most obnoxious kind.

• Reply 143 of 144
    "You go to Ross because it's cheap. "

Some go to Samsung for triple standby time, near triple talk time and better standardisation.

Sometimes lots of sacrifices are made when wearing jewellery.
  • Reply 144 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Hturt Seaker,

Like 99.9% of people, who try to make a point against iPhone, you have as usual gone off base with your comments/rebuttals, since many people have provided logical feedback, that firstly iPhone is premium product, secondly majority of consumers have not had any issues with oxidation (I use majority in since probably (90% or more) and thirdly Polycarbonate is 'cheap' look and there is no logical information, you can provide me that change our minds, since many critics express this view for Samsung SIII.

1.- True, there is no way I will change your opinions if they are religiously held.

2.- Hard to quantify when people can't recognize it until it is a big problem. Also, it is been reported how out of the box and day to day damage seems to be a problem with Iphone 5s. http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/136658-scuffgate-will-apple-have-to-recall-the-iphone-5 http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/11/will-handling-your-iphone-5-damage-it-maybe/

3.- I am not debating the looks of plastics v aluminum. I have already conceded that Aluminum looks great. I am arguing the practical functionality of the design.

4.- I consider Vertus to be "premium products."

Quote:

You were trying to make a point about the iPhone and oxidation, probably because you thought, since this phone is made of Aluminium, it has problems with oxidation, which I may add, you  have not given any factual evidence that IF this does occur AND more important is an issue for the consumer.

Aluminum is prone to several kinds of oxidation and that is a fact.

Quote:

Now you are trying to tell us about oxidation in general sense and all many of crap, which has no relevance to this discussion and really, you have not make your point about iPhone and you cannot let go.

If a product uses aluminum and that aluminum is exposed for any reason it will oxidize. Add other metals and electrolytes and the process accelerates while changing the molecular structure of aluminum. This is a fact. It is logical to conclude that if the coating of any aluminum product is removed the aluminum will oxidize. There is no way around it.

Quote:

Please for love of God, just stay silent and learn from your mistakes.

Practice what you preach