Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 81 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Crispness? Are we talking color accuracy still or are you thinking about a salad for lunch?

If you think about it, the pieces fall together.

The OS is stale, the display isn't crisp, the UI is boring, and the hardware is slow.

All in all, buying an iDevice is like buying a three day old, untoasted BLT.

• Reply 82 of 230
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With the S4, you expose the innards of the device, have a less-reliable/protective overall package (removable back) -- and get to fuss with extra batteries, and Memory cards...

I do a lot of traveling, and many times am away from any power source at all. For this reason I bought an extended battery case for my iPhone which doubles the battery life. I rarely get to the point of charging my phone at night where the extended battery hasn't taken over hours before. The only difference between that and carrying a spare battery is that I carry mine on the back of the phone itself. So even with an iPhone there are people who need longer battery life than the iPhone delivers. 

As far as memory cards, once you initially insert the card into the phone you rarely if ever remove it again. Why would you? You can transfer files via bluetooth, by email, by cloud services, or just by a USB cable to your computer. So I think that argument is pretty weak about carrying around a memory cards since you would likely only have one inside the phone and rarely if ever eject it again. How many iPhone owners, especially ones with just a 16GB version, wouldn't love the option of adding a 64GB card into their iPhone instead of trying to cull their photo, music, and video library. 

• Reply 83 of 230
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Nonsense. AMOLED is a very good technology and not all AMOLED displays are PenTile like the S3. The note 2 is a non-PenTile display and is very sharp. Apple even considered going with AMOLED but decided it wasn't quite mature enough due to longevity issues and a few other problems but not because of crispness.I guarantee you that you would not be able to tell the difference between an AMOLED display and a non AMOLED display at the same resolution.  Your complaint is over PenTile not AMOLED and with a 1920x1080 441 PPI resolution the S4 will largely overcome any PenTile deficiencies you may have seen in that S3 comparison. 

Yes, I am able to tell the difference.  I noticed that Galaxy S3 screen brightness is noticeably darker than the iPhone.  This is the reason I said before that using Galaxy S3/S4 will hurt the eyesight.  It may not be in a day but will in the long run. 

• Reply 84 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    If you'd ever used the Android SDK you'd know that dealing with multiple resolutions is pretty damn easy.  

And all logos, UI elements, etc..., should be in vector graphics anyway, so scaling should be trivial...  

If only there were some way to search for Android developers ranting about how much of a pain it is to code accurately for so many different display shapes and sizes¡
  • Reply 85 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Yes, I am able to tell the difference.  I noticed that Galaxy S3 screen brightness is noticeably darker than the iPhone.  This is the reason I said before that using Galaxy S3/S4 will hurt the eyesight.  It may not be in a day but will in the long run. 

I said a non-PenTile AMOLED. The S3 is PenTile. What pure AMOLED displays have you compared side by side? And darkness isn't even a complaint with PenTile, that was probably just the brightness setting for the S3 you saw not being tuned up very high, The main complaint is more greenish tint and less crisp text for example, not brightness. 

• Reply 86 of 230
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

well, all we know so far really is:

- the S4 is being launched with big hype, and no doubt a big ad budget.

- the S4 has a lot of spec bumps compared to the S3, but their actual benefit remains to be determined.

- Samsung is emphasizing a lot of new(ish) bells and whistles features as "innovative" differentiators.

- the practical value of these features is still uncertain - there are no full reviews yet and of course consumers don't have any experience with them yet.

- it does indeed appear Samsung is working on gradually developing its own independent ecosystem by replacing some Google-based features with its own (if it ever releases its own Maps app, that will be crossing the Rubicon).

really, that's about it so far. stay tuned.

• Reply 87 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD, but i have to say something...

After reading some news on some blogs (I like android, i have an android phone. In fact, i love android, i would love a nexus from LG, i just think Apple's devices and strategy are better) i came across something.

Not all android fans are stupid and retarded like the ones we see here, and not all android blogs are apple-bashing sites. Far from it.

Some sites have really great comparisons and great reviews and nicely illustrate the pros vs cons of choosing a given smartphone. Obviously, on those sites, stupid fandroids (like the ones that come here) get irritated, but you can ignore them.

Sites like these, objective reviews like these, should help some of you to understand and even like Android for what it is. You can love Apple, prefer the iPhone by a large margin, but still like Android and choose a cheap but good smartphone (like the nexus) when you can't justify 700 euros.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-apple-iphone-5-169810/

When using logic and facts, anyone can see that you cannot call the gs4 "superior" or "better" than the iPhone, or some android devices. It's a great read.

Kudos to them.

I think many of us are aware. I have repeatedly seen comments from regular members here about the quality of the HTC One.

I believe it is important to note that the review you linked does seem fair initially, the repeated reference to iOS as a "simple" operating system and Android as a "complex" operating system is clearly biased.

Ahh.... but, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!"

Any slob can do complex -- simple is tough -- takes talent, inspiration and hard work.

• Reply 88 of 230
    Evidently, there was a huge crowd at Radio City for this event yesterday. However, does anyone expect that to have any correlation to sales when the device goes on sale? The market doesn't seen so excited about it relative to all the pre market into hype.

Joe
    Macs4newbies.com
  • Reply 89 of 230
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

I said a non-PenTile AMOLED. The S3 is PenTile. What pure AMOLED displays have you compared side by side? And darkness isn't even a complaint with PenTile, that was probably just the brightness setting for the S3 you saw not being tuned up very high, The main complaint is more greenish tint and less crisp text for example, not brightness. 

Well, when the brightness of S3 is turned to maximum, I am able to see the contrast of S3 is not as good as the iPhone.  The whiteness is not as white.

• Reply 90 of 230
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

In retrospect, it's obvious that the insane number of articles about how Apple has been "falling behind" Samsung that were published prior to this event were part of Samsung's marketing campaign. Maybe we'll see slightest less feverish reporting now.

• Reply 91 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Well, when the brightness of S3 is turned to maximum, I am able to see the contrast of S3 is not as good as the iPhone.  The whiteness is not as white.

Again, that is a complaint about PenTile and not AMOLED displays. Since you won't answer which side by side comparison you have done with a non-PenTile AMOLED display I think it is safe to assume you haven't and your blanket statement about AMOLED being all hype was just pulled from thin air. 

• Reply 92 of 230
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Samsung went suprisingly conservative. A tenth or so of an inch bigger screen? Black and white body choices? A screen resolution bump and some "featrures" few to none care about all add up to nothing approaching the "innovation" that's all the squeal.

I note with interest they may have decided that SIII case dimensions are the maximum since they squeezed the new screen into the same older case dimensions.

At the end of thday, IMHO, they put out an SIIIs, not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Reply 93 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So... Pretty much the same kind of (scared of the competition) rhetoric spoken when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out last year and we all know how so very wrong those naysayers were.

sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.

(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

We have sales figures for Samsung!? Stop the presses.......!!!!

/s

• Reply 94 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

Evidently, there was a huge crowd at Radio City for this event yesterday. However, does anyone expect that to have any correlation to sales when the device goes on sale? The market doesn't seen so excited about it relative to all the pre market into hype.

Joe

Macs4newbies.com

The huge crowd were tech reporters who started mocking the event within moments on Twitter: the WiFi service apparently totally sucked (Cult of Android just gave up) and that was before the Grade D actors came on stage for their little one act playlets.... at which point "tacky" no doubt started trending worldwide.

• Reply 95 of 230

Quote:

Quote:

With the S4, you expose the innards of the device, have a less-reliable/protective overall package (removable back) -- and get to fuss with extra batteries, and Memory cards...

I do a lot of traveling, and many times am away from any power source at all. For this reason I bought an extended battery case for my iPhone which doubles the battery life. I rarely get to the point of charging my phone at night where the extended battery hasn't taken over hours before. The only difference between that and carrying a spare battery is that I carry mine on the back of the phone itself. So even with an iPhone there are people who need longer battery life than the iPhone delivers. 

As far as memory cards, once you initially insert the card into the phone you rarely if ever remove it again. Why would you? You can transfer files via bluetooth, by email, by cloud services, or just by a USB cable to your computer. So I think that argument is pretty weak about carrying around a memory cards since you would likely only have one inside the phone and rarely if ever eject it again. How many iPhone owners, especially ones with just a 16GB version, wouldn't love the option of adding a 64GB card into their iPhone instead of trying to cull their photo, music, and video library. 

In our household of 5, we all have iPhones and iPads.   In the future we plan on buying iPhones with the least amount of storage and [continue to] max out the iPads.  The savings on iPhones more than pays for iCloud and iTunes match.  We have 2,500 songs and hundreds of photos/movies accessible via iCloud.

• Reply 96 of 230
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

If only there were some way to search for Android developers ranting about how much of a pain it is to code accurately for so many different display shapes and sizes¡

Developers love to bitch, it's what they do...  

Grab the SDK yourself and create a graphical Hello World app or something.  It's just a Java .jar, all bundled up with Eclipse.  Download and run.  All you need is a JDK (OpenJDK or Sun/Oracle Java JDK), it works on all OSes (I use Linux btw).  

Apple developers have to deal with at least 4 different resolutions too (or 2 for tablets, and 2 for phones).  In Android if you target 1080p, 720p, and qHD you cover nearly all new and popular devices from the last 2 years... 

Let's face it, all developers on all platforms deal with these things.  Even web developers.  

• Reply 97 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    Developers love to bitch, it's what they do...

I would have thought they would write code but according to you their primary goal is to make up things to complain about. Brilliant¡
  • Reply 98 of 230

Quote:

In our household of 5, we all have iPhones and iPads.   In the future we plan on buying iPhones with the least amount of storage and [continue to] max out the iPads.  The savings on iPhones more than pays for iCloud and iTunes match.  We have 2,500 songs and hundreds of photos/movies accessible via iCloud.

I have iCloud with 5GB, my Cox account also gives me another 5GB, and Box with 50GB. I also have unlimited data. But at the same time it is often far more convenient to have those files locally available on your phone. Cloud storage is a nice supplement but not replacement for internal storage. You can store and run apps from the cloud for example. You also have to wait for files to download. 

• Reply 99 of 230
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

I would have thought they would write code but according to you their primary goal is to make up things to complain about. Brilliant¡

Hang out on some dev chat forums and you'll know what I mean.  They also love to argue about languages and tools.  

I like to code, but I do it on my own time, for my own purposes.  So I don't bitch.  Especially since I have the freedom to use whatever tools I want to, not being tied down to an employer...  

• Reply 100 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

You know that it's actually smaller than the S3, right?

It's case dimensions are the same while it is very slightly thinner?