Rumor: Apple courting developers to support official gaming controller [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    No, but of course you don't care.

Yes I do, as that is what you did.

The three touchscreen iDevices.

EDIT: Ah, apologies. It's four now, isn't it? Curse the iPad mini.

personally I don't believe they are game controllers, they lack the numerous advantages that a keyboard, mouse, or game controller can provide.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

personally I don't believe they are game controllers, they lack the numerous advantages that a keyboard, mouse, or game controller can provide.

Such as?

They have advantages of their own, as well.

• Reply 43 of 108
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Update: The extremely reliable Jim Dalrymple of The Loop has weighed in on the matter, saying, "Nope."

Yeah right. An apple controller is certain. If the living room Apple display isn't the ultimate game console, then there is no reason for to even exist.
  • Reply 44 of 108

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

If the living room Apple display isn't the ultimate game console, then there is no reason for to even exist.

Well, to revolutionize the transmission of video content and break the decades-long hegemony held by the "all or nothing" package model.

• Reply 45 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have advantages of their own, as well.

It's true that there are certain types of games that are well suited for touch screens. Certain games even work better on a touch screen than with anything else.

On the other hand, there are certain games where a controller would be preferred.

Even when the iPad 10 is released in 6 years time, a game like PacMan (and plenty of other games) will still be better with a joystick or controller than with a touch screen.

It would be really boneheaded of Apple to not release a great gaming controller. Are you trying to argue against an Apple gaming controller? I can't think of a single good reason as to why Apple shouldn't, and I can think of many good reasons as to why they should.

What does Apple have to lose? Nothing.

What does Apple stand to gain? A lot.

• Reply 46 of 108

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are you trying to argue against an Apple gaming controller? I can't think of a single good reason as to why Apple shouldn't, and I can think of many good reasons as to why they should.

Yes. Everything else quoted, I'd say the opposite, seeing as the very concept goes against everything they've been working toward for the past six years.

• Reply 47 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Yes. Everything else quoted, I'd say the opposite, seeing as the very concept goes against everything they've been working toward for the past six years.

It wouldn't be changing anything that they've done though, IMO. An Apple game controller would be available as an additional accessory, for those people who want it. It would give Apple a chance to grab an even bigger slice of the gaming market, and it would make millions of people happy, the people who would want such a controller. They could have a version of the Apple TV that came bundled with the controller. It would fly off of the shelves.

I don't believe that I've ever heard Apple say that touch is better than everything else for every single usage, or that Apple is abandoning everything in favor of touch only from now on. I'm the first person to claim that touch screens are great and iOS devices have changed the entire industry, but hardware input devices still have their place. I don't see Apple releasing an all touch, flat keyboard anytime soon, because even they recognize that a keyboard with actual keys is still preferred by most. Do I want a Mac Pro or an iMac with a flat, touch keyboard? Hell no! And a dedicated game controller also has it's place. There is no cannibalization for Apple to worry about, and I think that it would be a big seller.

• Reply 48 of 108

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It wouldn't be changing anything that they've done though, IMO.

Oh? A portable device defined exclusively by its hardware buttons and serving no purpose but to present them isn't contrary to Apple's recent modii operandi?

…for those people who want it. …the people who would want such a controller.

Apple isn't very big on that, though, yeah? They're not so much into fringes as they are centers. I've always liked the dartboard analogy. Maybe I came up with it; I could never tell. 

While other companies throw as many darts at the board as they possibly can, trying to cover it entirely, Apple throws the largest dart they can (picture a dart 10x the size of a regular one) right at the center of the board. If they feel it didn't cover enough, they take a 5x dart and fill in some of the gaps. You can't fill a circle with circles, of course, but that's the idea.

Do I want a Mac Pro or an iMac with a flat, touch keyboard? Hell no!

Well, just the keyboard, no. At least for me. image

Also, it seems that your signature should warn against just BBCode editor users quoting you. I don't seem to have a problem, and I don't recall having one in the past, but there's the rub, isn't it?

• Reply 49 of 108
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Apple isn't very big on that, though, yeah? They're not so much into fringes as they are centers. I've always liked the dartboard analogy. Maybe I came up with it; I could never tell. 

Usually those things are filled by third parties.

• Reply 50 of 108
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Such as?

Character movement
    hand placement
  • Reply 51 of 108
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Kim Jong-un will be pissed.

Now, after Bush is known to be a Mac user, now this.

I am depressed!

• Reply 52 of 108
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

To bad his computer does not blow up and eliminate him for good.

• Reply 53 of 108
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

The three touchscreen iDevices.

EDIT: Ah, apologies. It's four now, isn't it? Curse the iPad mini.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, touchscreens are good for little puzzle games, angry birds & things like that, they really don't cut the mustard for games that require precision & finesse & yes lots of games need these things, generally not hand held games, i think a touch screen is a brilliant supplement to a physical controller, like the Wii U, PS4 & the ouya. on their own, not for serious gaming, My brother is a competition level gamer & I've been into it my whole life, PC & console games are on a different level on a few things, 1 is the immersiveness, 2nd thing is quality, new games that come out, really are amazing, they play out like movies with you playing them, this is why the game industry is rivaling Hollywood & makes alot of money. 

I was gonna be a real smart ass on this post, i changed my mind, damn. 

• Reply 54 of 108
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Interesting that this debate continues unabated despite the rumor being shot down by the most reliable non-Apple source.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's true that there are certain types of games that are well suited for touch screens. Certain games even work better on a touch screen than with anything else.

On the other hand, there are certain games where a controller would be preferred.

Even when the iPad 10 is released in 6 years time, a game like PacMan (and plenty of other games) will still be better with a joystick or controller than with a touch screen.

Well, then, it's a good thing that Apple isn't taking away your ability to buy whatever controller you want for your system.

The entire argument is a waste of time. Different people have different wants and needs. Some are happy with a touch screen. Others want a massive controller with 20 buttons and 3D gyro control. Some play one type of games, and some play other types of games.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It would be really boneheaded of Apple to not release a great gaming controller. Are you trying to argue against an Apple gaming controller? I can't think of a single good reason as to why Apple shouldn't, and I can think of many good reasons as to why they should.

I have no idea whether Apple will (or should) release a controller. I don't really care one way or another. If the market is big enough and they feel that they can produce something great, they'll probably do it. But even if they do and even if it doesn't meet the needs of uber-hard-core gamers (who probably aren't using Macs, anyway), it doesn't make Apple evil or incompetent. They will choose the type of product and features they want to offer, but users can choose other devices if they wish. I can't understand the negativity coming from some people on this matter.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think this would go great with some kind of new AppleTV that supports apps. Then you could have games right on your TV. 

You already can via Airplay. 

• Reply 57 of 108

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Bingo!

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Character movement

hand placement

And somehow these things magically cannot be handled by anything but a dedicated controller with hardware buttons? imageimage

• Reply 58 of 108
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

For better or for worse, Apple is not going to release a controller for a console-like experience. Just No. They have iOS Devices which are the center of their gaming world. More accurately, they have iOS Devices that are THE center of THE gaming world.

Something that just about all console and PC gamers have yet to acknowledge/realize....their world is getting smaller. With every year that passes, console and pc gaming become LESS popular and LESS successful for entertainment companies. With every year that passes, Mobile Gaming, SPECIFICALLY, iOS gaming, becomes more popular and more lucrative for.

It isn't a debate. At all. iOS Device gaming, inferior as it may or may not be, is beating and will utterly annihilate console gaming. PS4 and XBox 720 will be the last dying vestige of interest in this department....and within 2-3 years, they will be dying to sell a game. Within 2-3 years, Nintendo will become insolvent and will pull their back-pocket card which is releasing touch versions of all their classic/major titles onto iOS, and they will survive for a time as a small Apple game developer.

Sony will suffer over PS4 but will not lose totally because of PS Mobile. They will maintain their mobile division and thus be around in gaming longer, perhaps 5 or 6 years more.

Microsoft will lose completely, and utterly be OUT of gaming within 4 years.

This is 100% unavoidable, and probably very close to accurate on time predictions. The average pc/console gamer will read that and say WHAT, you're crazy. Nope, this is what is happening in the market around you. Your ignorance of it does not change it one bit.

• Reply 59 of 108
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, touchscreens are good for little puzzle games, angry birds & things like that, they really don't cut the mustard for games that require precision & finesse & yes lots of games need these things, generally not hand held games, i think a touch screen is a brilliant supplement to a physical controller, like the Wii U, PS4 & the ouya. on their own, not for serious gaming, My brother is a competition level gamer & I've been into it my whole life, PC & console games are on a different level on a few things, 1 is the immersiveness, 2nd thing is quality, new games that come out, really are amazing, they play out like movies with you playing them, this is why the game industry is rivaling Hollywood & makes alot of money. 

I was gonna be a real smart ass on this post, i changed my mind, damn. 

If only any of that mattered....at all. No one is going to tell you "you're wrong" about the current comparison between console and ios gaming quality. I AM going to tell you, however, that it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference in the real world, and the financial solvency of console gaming is being sucked into a black hole. The black hole is called mobile gaming, specifically, iOS gaming.

• Reply 60 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

And they have been by a couple of dozen choices. Including the famed 'joke' icade and icade bitty