Rumor: Apple courting developers to support official gaming controller [u]

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Can you please start reading, I have already said I didn't think it was practical

So try it out. What you think doesn't matter if you're not willing to be proven wrong.

That's because you won't listen to anyone, I have already details some reasons

And I reject them—partially because they're ludicrous to think, partially because you've admitted you don't have the credentials to think them in the first place. Try out a game that does this!

It doesn't matter how many fingers I have, I said I don't think it is practical

Noted. And once you've actually tried such a system, your opinion will matter.

• Reply 102 of 108
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Mobile gaming and console/PC gaming are different things entirely - and they have (largely) different audiences.

Folks say that a lot but show no proof that the audiences are actually largely different.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf

Given that:  

The average US Household owns at least one dedicated game console, PC or smartphone 

AND

49% of US Households own a dedicated console and those that do own an average of 2

AND

the statistic that of the households that own a dedicated game console, PC or smartphone 70% play games on their consoles, 65% on PCs, 38% on smartphones, 35% on dedicated handhelds and 26% on wireless devices.

THEN

the overlap between mobile gamers and console gamers isn't likely to be less than 50% and more likely to be closer to 70%+ than 50%.  

If you have better data, please provide a link.

• Reply 103 of 108
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    And I reject them—partially because they're ludicrous to think, partially because you've admitted you don't have the credentials to think them in the first place. Try out a game that does this!

What is your problem with reading. I said I have tried such a system, and I don't like it.

Perhaps you can provide some good examples of why you think a flat piece of glass is a viable alterative to a physial controller, because so far youhaven't provided a single one.
    Noted. And once you've actually tried such a system, your opinion will matter.

Again, what is your problem with reading. I said I have tried such a system, and I don't like it.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I said I have tried such a system, and I don't like it.

NO. YOU HAVEN'T.

Don't own an iOS device, can't do this sorry.

So which is it?

• Reply 105 of 108
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    More important the the controller will be a standard SDK for supporting game controllers for iOS. This would allow both Apple and third parties to design game controllers that will work with all games that support the SDK. Remember that Apple will be make a lot more money selling iOS devices than game controllers but having a first party reference design will be needed to get the ball rolling. I suggested this approach to Apple about two years ago. I hope this rumor is true.

Totally agree. I've been expecting this for so long and I just can't understand why they haven't implemented it yet. They don't even need to build the hardware.

Imagine the Apple TV suddenly becomes a gaming console, iPhones attached with a game controller wipes out the mobile gaming console competitors such as Sony and Nintendo. The potential is limitless. We just need a few APIs. Come on, Apple, get your act together!
  • Reply 106 of 108
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course it's a compromise. It's for people who want to play games on their phone rather than carrying a console, TV, joystick, and generator with them everywhere they go.

Mobile gaming and console/PC gaming are different things entirely - and they have (largely) different audiences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's a good point. iOS devices are mobile devices and typically controllers aren't made for mobile devices. You don't for example get controllers for the PSP, Vita or DS.

I Agree, the thing is, i don't want a controller for my iPhone, but for the iPad it has come cool possibilities.

You put your iPad on a table, then with 2 controllers you could play a game like soul calibur 2 player :), or if you set up 2 iPads (or more) & have a control pad for each, play some system linked games, that's a mobile LAN game party right there, the most mobile, easy to configure & set up one, ever.

People could sit around with friends playing games together.

The PSP, Vita & DS doesn't need to come with an extra controller, by design they are controllers with a screen built in, so they don't have the issue that iOS devices have, I don't want hardware buttons permanently attached to my iPad, that's why the control pad makes sense to me, or a case that has buttons, not so much but better than how things are now, the reason these things are getting rumored, new controllers are coming out all the time & is picking up steam on android devices, android doesn't have the game selection & for the most part, doesn't have the devices that can run the games well, Id rather see apple bring out a controller for a small market, like a hobby accessory then be caught with their pants down if the idea booms. 

My head almost exploded then, thought of something so cool, if apple bring out a TV with a built in processor, would be like a lounge room version of an iMac with 42" screen (running a custom TV OS), that could play games, would be so cool having a controller that lets your iPhone plug into it, so you could play games with physical buttons & the iPhones touch screen in the middle, could be like a non-fail version of the Wii U, I'm probably the only person that would want that, haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Perhaps you can provide some good examples of why you think a flat piece of glass is a viable alterative to a physial controller, because so far youhaven't provided a single one.

He can't because there isn't one, its pretty simple.

what I'm always surprised by is the weird arguments I've been reading.

The gamers say they want a controller, the non gamers say that they aren't needed, its simply stupid.

If a guitarist has a problem with the way a certain guitar is set up & non musician said, 'no that's no problem at all, every things fine', why the F would you listen to them?, the thing is you wouldn't, because they don't know what they are talking about, not even a little bit.

which is why the arguments that non gamers have about games, seriously aren't valid, humoring them by telling them no isn't helping, clearly.

• Reply 107 of 108
    NO. YOU HAVEN'T.

Yes I have, how the hell would you know if I have used a touch screen based console or not?
    So which is it?

Can't it be both?

I own a touch screen based console (PS Vita)

I don't down any iOS devices
  • Reply 108 of 108
    zozman wrote: »
    what I'm always surprised by is the weird arguments I've been reading.
    The gamers say they want a controller, the non gamers say that they aren't needed, its simply stupid.
    If a guitarist has a problem with the way a certain guitar is set up & non musician said, 'no that's no problem at all, every things fine', why the F would you listen to them?, the thing is you wouldn't, because they don't know what they are talking about, not even a little bit.
    which is why the arguments that non gamers have about games, seriously aren't valid, humoring them by telling them no isn't helping, clearly.

Exactly, I am getting confused by the ergonomics of using a flat piece of glass as a controller, he is saying he can use all 10 fingers on this controller at the same time, which must make it damn hard to hold the device in his hands at the same time