Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Could care less" has been used for over 3 decades in common use.

Our Slogan: "Looking like morons for over 30 years!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Get over it.

"...and proud of it!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

The English language is not based on rules set by grammarians and grammar nazis, but by how it's used by the average writers and speakers of the language.

WTF is a "Grammar Nazi?" That has to be one of the most offensive tags ever to be carelessly thrown around. First, to in ANY equate the actions of the Nazis and such a trivial matter is WAAAAAY out there and incredibly insensitive to the millions who suffered. Second, because it perpetuates a growing trend of contempt for literacy. Read the notes from a ship Captain in the 18th century and compare them to the level of literacy exhibited by even professionals in the 21st century. I did, and I was all like "woah!" It was defiantly an eye opener. You don't have to take my word for it either. Wikipedia corresponds what I said.

I get your point, and I acknowledge and accept the fluid nature of language, but I still take exception to insulting those who make the occasional, futile attempt to save us from the pending idiocracy.

Wanna start on "Begs the question" next? image

• Reply 122 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

[...] If Cook & Co. blow the next product launch or can't fill the pipeline it would be the opportune time for Apple to start searching for a CEO who knows how to deliver products and can satisfy AAPL investors. 

The weird thing is that supply chain management was Tim Cook's greatest strength. I got the impression that nobody in the world could match his knack. That makes me wonder what's really going on? Making him CEO so he's not doing that stuff full-time-hands-on anymore? Jony Ive biting off more than the real world can chew? A butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon?

• Reply 123 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Inisightful retort.

Well, you ignored the actual one, so I have to wonder what your intentions are beyond FUD.

• Reply 124 of 167
    frank777 wrote: »
    So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? :no:

Yeah, I noticed that too... Especially big oversight as Tim stated in public there would be something for this class of users in 2013.
  • Reply 125 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

His blatant statement on the topic sort of puts a cannon hole in that.

I know you've had this debate before, BUT: Cook said we'll see "something" in 2013 -- he didn't say what. In context it sure SEEMED like he meant a new Mac Pro, but we don't KNOW that until we actually see one. By the same reasoning, the fact remains that we can't say Kuo is wrong until we can show the existence of a Mac Pro in 2013. So far we can't. Fortunately there's still lots of 2013 left so there's still room to remain hopefully optimistic we'll get the chance to say "HE WAS WRONG!"

• Reply 126 of 167
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

"Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record"

If you say so, AI.

I think this is one of the worst rumors i have heards in a while.

I honestly believe Apple has learned it's leson about designing product that is increasingly difficult to actually produce (Thanks Jonny).

Now we're to believe that the new stuff will be even harder to build than ever before! (there's your sales tag line) 

• Reply 127 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? image

Yeah, I noticed that too... Especially big oversight as Tim stated in public there would be something for this class of users in 2013.

Oh there will be.  It just won't be a "Mac Pro". This ain't the 1990s.

• Reply 128 of 167

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Cook said we'll see "something" in 2013 -- he didn't say what. In context it sure SEEMED like he meant a new Mac Pro, but we don't KNOW that until we actually see one.

Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

HOW DO I CONTEXT CLUES.

• Reply 129 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Instead of an elegant product launch, 2012 marked the most ineffective, clumsy, and amateurish product "dump" in Apple's history! Apple's pipeline has been on Queer Street ever since -- too many Retina Macs, not enough iMacs, not enough iPhone's, took many iPad's. If Cook & Co. blow the next product launch or can't fill the pipeline it would be the opportune time for Apple to start searching for a CEO who knows how to deliver products and can satisfy AAPL investors. 

Riiiight.  As opposed to 2008 where there weren't enough iPhone 3Gs so AT&T had to turn away customers, the 17" MacBook pros were delayed, the MacBook Airs were delayed, the Apple TV "Take 2" software update was delayed, the Final Cut Server shipped more than a year late, Steve Jobs had to apologize for the poorly planned MobileMe launch, etc.?  Yeah, sounds like a bang up year that was, right?

If Apple were to use the play-book from 2008 in 2013-14, then yeah, Tim Cook is history. Because it means he's sound asleep in Balmer land.

• Reply 130 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Consensus estimates are above the guidance the company gave.  Will they miss their own earnings three times in a row?  Unlikely, but they will very likely miss consensus estimates this quarter and next.  Tim is in a bad spot that Jobs played games and always lowballed so analysts haven't adjusted to the new reality and continue to think Apple will beat its own guidance.

Consensus estimates are the average of analysts wild guesses. That doesn't make it more accurate.
    v5v wrote: »
    The weird thing is that supply chain management was Tim Cook's greatest strength. I got the impression that nobody in the world could match his knack. That makes me wonder what's really going on? Making him CEO so he's not doing that stuff full-time-hands-on anymore? Jony Ive biting off more than the real world can chew? A butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon?

Wow, just because someone is great at something doesn't mean they're perfect. The 1927 Yankees lost 28% of their games. Michael Phelps didn't win every race. Tom Brady has thrown many interceptions. George Lucas created Jar Jar!
  • Reply 131 of 167
    gtl3gtl3 Posts: 2member

Just wanted to chime in that jdnc123 is a certified f00l.

• Reply 132 of 167
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

@ jdnc123

Just which billion company are you running now?

Since you had come up with so many theories of what Apple should do to improve its 'market value'.

We can argue until the cow and bull come home but it will still be argument with nothing substantial like a proven track record to prove your theories work.

So name the company you are running or own.

Yes, btw words are cheap.

• Reply 133 of 167

Quote:

Quote:

Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

HOW DO I CONTEXT CLUES.

See the section highlighted in red. He said "something." That MIGHT be an updated Mac Pro, but it could mean an outboard Thunderbolt chassis for PCIe cards or a networking appliance for creating Mac Mini distributed processing farms or a MacBook SooperDooperPro or an iMac Pro or a Display with built-in graphics subsystem or a way to run OSX on an HP Z-series or a combination high-speed storage/graphics rendering device or just a nice party to thank all the professionals for their contributions to Apple and wish them well in their future endeavours.

You have not provided definitive proof that any alternative conclusion is impossible, therefore your premise is invalid. image

Probably a Mac Pro though, huh? That would be nice.

• Reply 134 of 167

See the section highlighted in red.

How. Do. I. Context. Clues.

So, what, if the new computer isn't called "Mac Pro", you'll say that you're right, eh? Because Apple "didn't update the Mac Pro" by making a professional-grade computer with a new name?

Imagine for a second if someone claimed Apple didn't update the PowerBook G4 when the first MacBook Pro came out. Imagine how stupid that would sound.

There is a new professional-grade computer being released by Apple this year. That is what matters. That is what is not on the chart. That is why it is wrong. That is the argument.

• Reply 135 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

@ jdnc123

Just which billion company are you running now?

Since you had come up with so many theories of what Apple should do to improve its 'market value'.

We can argue until the cow and bull come home but it will still be argument with nothing substantial like a proven track record to prove your theories work.

So name the company you are running or own.

Yes, btw words are cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

In that entire fucking wall of text, nary a single factual statement. Pathetic. What's also pathetic is that you've decided to define and judge Cook's performance basely solely on stock price, which is hardly an indicator of things, instead of all the other metrics directly correlating to Apple's success (ie. sales, revenues, profit, customer satisfaction, etc) which have all been the most stellar in Apple's history under Cook. But wait, I guess that would go against your forced thesis. Instead of using this hard, conclusive data, you decide to judge Apple's worth and success solely by the 'expectations' of analysts who have historically shown not to know their heads from their asses, time and time again. Not only that, you demand that Apple make their product decisions solely for the goal of temporarily satisfying this fickle group. You're honestly everything that's wrong with this industry, and all I can hope is that people with your mentality are nowhere near Apple's decision making process. Your thinking, and your philosophy of whats important would definitely cause a company like Apple, who knows how to filter the noise from the substance, to burn to the ground.  Because all you have the ability to focus on is that noise. 

Quote:

Well, you ignored the actual one, so I have to wonder what your intentions are beyond FUD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtl3 View Post

Just wanted to chime in that jdnc123 is a certified f00l.

Wow, what a substantive set of responses, guys. /s

What the heck is wrong with someone expressing an opinion that there may be -- indeed, the market must strongly believe there are given $250B in wealth that has been wiped out -- management problems?

Also, compared to the absolutely nasty things that dozens of folks in this forum -- including some of you above, and even me, occasionally -- regularly say about corporate leaders such as Ballmer, Brin, Schmidt (I could go on), what gives you the right to swat down someone who, in my opinion, is offering a possibly reasonable (but granted, speculative and somewhat arrogant) criticism of Cook and his team? To paraphrase one of you above, do you run billion dollar businesses? And what makes you guys think that products are the only metric by which Apple's management should be judged, and stock prices are not relevant? 

If you have an objection you should counter what he has to say (in fairness, Slurpy revised his original post), rather than the petulant, knee-jerk responses I see above.

• Reply 136 of 167

Quote:

How. Do. I. Context. Clues.

So, what, if the new computer isn't called "Mac Pro", you'll say that you're right, eh? Because Apple "didn't update the Mac Pro" by making a professional-grade computer with a new name?

Imagine for a second if someone claimed Apple didn't update the PowerBook G4 when the first MacBook Pro came out. Imagine how stupid that would sound.

There is a new professional-grade computer being released by Apple this year. That is what matters. That is what is not on the chart. That is why it is wrong. That is the argument.

Someday when you're feeling more jovial and less grumpy than you seem to be today, you're gonna look back at what I wrote and literally laugh out loud.

Or have you already forgotten yesterday's discussion wirh you and SolipsismX? Or, worse yet, do you just not get the satire?

Oh well, I tried.

• Reply 137 of 167
    It does not seem credible that they are "trying to find the right material" at this point. If it has fingerprint sensor capability, they already found it.
  • Reply 138 of 167

Someday when you're feeling more jovial and less grumpy than you seem to be today, you're gonna look back at what I wrote and literally laugh out loud.

Not really. You're being uselessly pedantic.

Or have you already forgotten yesterday's discussion wirh you and SolipsismX?

Yes. What conversation? I would have forgotten it were it an hour ago.

• Reply 139 of 167
    isaidso wrote: »
    frank777 wrote: »
    So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? :no:

Oh there will be.  It just won't be a "Mac Pro". This ain't the 1990s.

I agree... I expect a modular solution with separate "boxes" (where it makes sense) connected by Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 140 of 167
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

As for delays, wasn't the white iPhone delayed during Jobs tenure? 

Lol absolutely.  It was delayed for 12 months!  Jobs announced it in april of 2010 and it did not ship till april of 2011.  People having issues with delays from apple like you said certainly have very short memories.  I dont worry about delays it gives them time to get it right and that is more important than shoving it out the door just to please the sycophants that run the stock markets or there cronies the ANAL cysts.