Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad

Comments

• Reply 141 of 167
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

True innovation has its challenges.

Like making a plastic phone?

• Reply 142 of 167
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree... I expect a modular solution with separate "boxes" (where it makes sense) connected by Thunderbolt.

What makes sense about that? Thunderbolt isn't exactly infiniband. It's also not really designed as an interconnect, in spite of being a low latency connection. At the desktop level why wouldn't they would be better off pushing OpenCL or CUDA options for highly parallel workloads? Xgrid went away, and stacked boxes don't seem like a very Apple-like solution.

• Reply 143 of 167
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

WTF is a "Grammar Nazi?"

• Reply 144 of 167
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] You're being uselessly pedantic.

...which is not at all like ignoring the point that Apple touted the virtues of its choice of screen size for one-handed use and instead focussing on the incorrect application of the word "perfect."

• Reply 145 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Inisightful retort.

And absolutely true. It's full of nothing but horse-shit, attacking Cook's personality, making platonic claims pulled from your ass such as "nobody believes in him", lazy statements such as "resting on its laurels", "struggling to address competitive landscape", that mean nothing. Your entire post is clear butthurt about the stock price, and nothing else. You fail to mention any real missteps, besides imagined failings and making mountains out of molehills, where there was much larger setbacks and screw-ups under Jobs. You're so obsessed over the analysts, and what they think, and are unable to grasp the bigger picture, and basically applauding Samsung for releasing a shitload of phone models and suggesting Apple just needs to mindlessly duplicate that strategy, something they have never, ever done. You keep bitching about "missing earnings" while Apple's earnings are by far the best it's ever seen, and the world has ever seen. That doesn't matter to you, because your precious analysts pulled some other numbers out of their asses, so therefore Apple fails. Maybe try to focus on the actual numbers, instead of obsessing about analysts and expectations, which in the big picture mean absolutely nothing. Or, preferably, go buy products from another company because it seems you have absolutely no faith in Apple either way. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you see fit to do the opposite.

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys, has the best selling phone in the world, best selling tablet, best selling ultrabook, best selling all-in-one, most successful appstore, etc- by reading your post, one would think they're failing or something. You know how they got to the position they're in? By not listening to ignorant people like you that can only see 2 feet in front of them. It's no different when Jobs was around- people like you would be attacking him day in and day out, mocking every single decision he took, every direction he believed in, and giving their "advice" as to what Apple "should do" to be successful- ironically, the more Apple ignores noise like you, the more successful they've become. 

• Reply 146 of 167
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Oh, and here's Apple "resting on it's laurels" in 2012, which just so happens to have been the most aggressive product release year yet in Apple's history. Not that you would guess that from listening to all the OCD types with no context of history. 2012 Saw:

- Completely redesigned 15" MBP with highest resolution laptop  of that size in the world

- Completely redesigned 13" MBP with highest resolution laptop of that size in the world

- New iPad with Retina display- again, massive achievement

- Completely redesigned iPod touch

- Completely redesigned iPod nano

- Completely redesigned iMac- most significant change in years

- Completely redesigned iPhone- 1st change in screen size/aspect ratio since inception

- iPad mini- Completely new iPad line

- 4th generation iPad- fastest refresh in their history

- refreshed Macbook Airs

- refreshed classic MBPs

- refreshed Mac mini

- refreshed Apple TV

- Biggest Apple TV interface change in its history

- New iTunes- most significant update since it first launched a decade ago

- New iOS appstore- biggest update since it 1st launched in 2008

- iOS 6- major release of iOS

- OSX 10.8- major release of OSX

- New maps- launched a completely new mapping product from the ground up, not an insignificant accomplishment

- Transition to new dock connector + cable for all products, 1st change in the last decade

- A6 and A6X chip- custom designed chip that has set new benchmarks for performance and has gotten rave reviews from anyone who knows anything about chips

- significant updates to all OSX/iOS apps

Name me another year with this much activity/products/updates? Yeah, didn't think so. 

• Reply 147 of 167
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys

Apple's insistence on regimented support procedures have caused me inconvenience in the past (like being forced to lug a Mac Pro tower to a Genius Bar appointment for a failed optical drive), but today removed any lingering doubt I may have had about the quality of their support.

I called them about an Apple TV update problem. The guy knew about the issue, either from experience or documentation, and knew the fix. It involved updating over WiFi instead of hard wire. Left to my own devices, I never would have thought to try that. They saved me the cost of replacing a broken window and an ATV with glass embedded in it.

• Reply 148 of 167
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    The fingerprint scanner, if rumors are true, would enable Apple to again leapfrog the competition. Remember how people kept pegging the iOS passcode, either 4 digit or more complex, as being outdated and not nearly as good as Android's connect the dots passcode? Remember how Android introduced facial recognition technology that ultimately was woefully inadequate because a simple photograph of the person held in front of the camera was enough to bypass the "secure" nature of this "breakthrough" and "innovative" technology? Fingerprint sensing is a major milestone for a consumer electronics product! No more passwords, no worry about security, fingerprint sensing is the perfect example of "it just works!" I hope the rumors are true!

It better be the mother of all fingerprint readers because they have a poor showing in the past as security products, as has all biometrics.

http://www.zdnet.com/sweet-bypass-for-student-finger-scanner-1339306878/
  • Reply 149 of 167
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I highly doubt that developers know jack about iOS 7 at this point. So maybe it is behind, maybe it isn't.

You're clearly not a developer and farting thru your mouth. Why say something you don't understand with such certainty?
  • Reply 150 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

It better be the mother of all fingerprint readers because they have a poor showing in the past as security products, as has all biometrics.

http://www.zdnet.com/sweet-bypass-for-student-finger-scanner-1339306878/

Why do you say stuff that is patently wrong? Furthermore, why say stuff that you couldn't possibly know to be true? Do you hit <send> without thinking or do you think, "Others like Jrgosta, Applelunatic and Charlituna get away with writing crap and so I can too?"

• Reply 151 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Could care less" has been used for over 3 decades in common use. Get over it. The English language is not based on rules set by grammarians and grammar nazis, but by how it's used by the average writers and speakers of the language.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Didn't your English teacher teach you the proper use of shit?"

You're right.  That sounds like nothing but praise.

Huh?

Where do you find the words (let alone the entire phrase) "could care less" in the sentence "Didn't your English teacher teach you the proper use of shit?"

I was not writing about the expression "could care less" at all!

• Reply 152 of 167

Quote:

And absolutely true. It's full of nothing but horse-shit, attacking Cook's personality, making platonic claims pulled from your ass such as "nobody believes in him", lazy statements such as "resting on its laurels", "struggling to address competitive landscape", that mean nothing. Your entire post is clear butthurt about the stock price, and nothing else. You fail to mention any real missteps, besides imagined failings and making mountains out of molehills, where there was much larger setbacks and screw-ups under Jobs. You're so obsessed over the analysts, and what they think, and are unable to grasp the bigger picture, and basically applauding Samsung for releasing a shitload of phone models and suggesting Apple just needs to mindlessly duplicate that strategy, something they have never, ever done. You keep bitching about "missing earnings" while Apple's earnings are by far the best it's ever seen, and the world has ever seen. That doesn't matter to you, because your precious analysts pulled some other numbers out of their asses, so therefore Apple fails. Maybe try to focus on the actual numbers, instead of obsessing about analysts and expectations, which in the big picture mean absolutely nothing. Or, preferably, go buy products from another company because it seems you have absolutely no faith in Apple either way. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you see fit to do the opposite.

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys, has the best selling phone in the world, best selling tablet, best selling ultrabook, best selling all-in-one, most successful appstore, etc- by reading your post, one would think they're failing or something. You know how they got to the position they're in? By not listening to ignorant people like you that can only see 2 feet in front of them. It's no different when Jobs was around- people like you would be attacking him day in and day out, mocking every single decision he took, every direction he believed in, and giving their "advice" as to what Apple "should do" to be successful- ironically, the more Apple ignores noise like you, the more successful they've become. 

Is this the same Slurpy who brainlessly mocked Apple on every front roughly 1200 posts ago?

• Reply 153 of 167
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

I believe Apple are behind, I mean we are FOUR MONTHS in to 2013 and **** all has been released from them, maybe their 2013 line up is invisible like the PS4!

• Reply 154 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Is this the same Slurpy who brainlessly mocked Apple on every front roughly 1200 posts ago?

Are you saying that in roughly 253 posts you'll start to actually post pro-Apple comments?

I can't wait for that day.

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

I believe Apple are behind…

BEHIND. WHOM?!

…I mean we are FOUR MONTHS in to 2013 and **** all has been released from them…

Your point being what? Are you pretending this has never happened to Apple in their history? Are you pretending this has never happened to any company in any of their respective histories? 

• Reply 155 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Are you saying that in roughly 253 posts you'll start to actually post pro-Apple comments?

I can't wait for that day.

[SIZE=20px]BEHIND. WHOM?![/SIZE]

Your point being what? Are you pretending this has never happened to Apple in their history? Are you pretending this has never happened to any company in any of their respective histories? 

Don't you remember that under Jobs watch, Apple created 15 new markets and released a new product every other week!
  • Reply 156 of 167
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

>>It's no different when Jobs was around>>

Never once did Steve Jobs lose $250 billion in value from the company.  Not once.  Only Tim has done that, so yes Tim bears the brunt of the criticism.  

• Reply 157 of 167
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Why do you say stuff that is patently wrong? Furthermore, why say stuff that you couldn't possibly know to be true? Do you hit <send> without thinking or do you think, "Others like Jrgosta, Applelunatic and Charlituna get away with writing crap and so I can too?"

Prove me wrong. Where's your evidence? Biometrics as security have a poor showing in the past. I gave you one article and there are plenty more. Do you think because you have nothing to refute my statement, and therefore resort to acting like a dumbass makes you appear right? Prove me wrong or go back under your rock.
  • Reply 158 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jdnc123 wrote: »

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);"> >>It's no different when Jobs was around>></span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">Never once did Steve Jobs lose $250 billion in value from the company.  Not once.  Only Tim has done that, so yes Tim bears the brunt of the criticism.  </span>

From 8/2008 to 1/2009, Apple stock dropped from 176 to 82.
  • Reply 159 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Was that $250 billion in market cap?

• Reply 160 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

>>It's no different when Jobs was around>>

Never once did Steve Jobs lose $250 billion in value from the company.  Not once.  Only Tim has done that, so yes Tim bears the brunt of the criticism.  

Yes, but the NASDAQ dropped by a roughly similar percentage, ~50%.

Quite opposite to what's been happening with the market in the past six months.