Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you seen a Galaxy S 3 with a broken screen?

Apparently it costs $450 to fix in New Zealand.

No, I have't, but I heard that S3 and Note2 screens could be broken easily when dropped as they do not have thin layer of plastic or something covering front glass edges.  I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

Do you use your iPhone without a case on?  My sister-in-law does but, after using it without a case for a while, she threads a silicon case out of her pocket and puts her iPhone back into the case.

• Reply 82 of 87
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

No, I have't, but I heard that S3 and Note2 screens could be broken easily when dropped as they do not have thin layer of plastic or something covering front glass edges.  I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

Do you use your iPhone without a case on?  My sister-in-law does but, after using it without a case for a while, she threads a silicon case out of her pocket and puts her iPhone back into the case.

I know you weren't asking me, but I've had an iPhone since 1st gen., and I've never had a case.  Now, granted, I'm very careful with all my tech as a matter of habit.  But even with a few oopsies here and there (my 3GS dropped off a window cill onto a tile floor -- ouch), none of the phones have seen any scratches or damage of any kind.

• Reply 83 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I know you weren't asking me, but I've had an iPhone since 1st gen., and I've never had a case.  Now, granted, I'm very careful with all my tech as a matter of habit.  But even with a few oopsies here and there (my 3GS dropped off a window cill onto a tile floor -- ouch), none of the phones have seen any scratches or damage of any kind.

Well, although I've never seen anyone carrying iPhone without case, I expect tiny proportion of iPhone owners use their iPhone without cases.  And, I suspect, very small percentages of those who carry their iPhone without case have never had any scratches or damage on their iPhones since the first iPhone.  Congrates!

Generally, we carry smartphones with cases.  So, I don't know how casing of smartphone translates to "build quality" here, different casings would not terribly affect the user experience.  But, I guess, Sammy has to follow this 'build quality' marketing trend.

• Reply 84 of 87
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Well, although I've never seen anyone carrying iPhone without case, I expect tiny proportion of iPhone owners use their iPhone without cases.  And, I suspect, very small percentages of those who carry their iPhone without case have never had any scratches or damage on their iPhones since the first iPhone.  Congrates!

Generally, we carry smartphones with cases.  So, I don't know how casing of smartphone translates to "build quality" here, different casings would not terribly affect the user experience.  But, I guess, Sammy has to follow this 'build quality' marketing trend.

Yeah, I wasn't questioning your initial comment.  When I go the coffee shop, most of the iPhones I see do have cases.  No doubt.

I think the build quality thing is more of having a positive view of the object, believing in how it's put together.

• Reply 85 of 87
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

$NZ450, I met someone who dropped their phone while on holiday there, in Australia it's around $A300.

The S3 was in a case, it "popped" out of it.

Large, curved plastic objects don't work well with some cases, I expect the S4 to be worse as there is less bezel around the screen.

• Reply 86 of 87
    Wow! I would buy a Nexus 4 with that much. Hahaha
  • Reply 87 of 87
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

I have not used a case with my iPhone until recently (and that's a battery case). I have never had any problems, despite being quite hard on the phone.