Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    He's more worried about were Apple's Map is going & @ how fast it's getting their!
    Just before the launch of Maps via Apple Google still had Clouds fuzzy map data
    over the Himalayas region, roads wrongly placed.

Today most of it's correct the roads almost match the Sat layout, on Apple's Maps
    the roads match perfectly.. Google does have more places named.
  • Reply 22 of 151
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Think of [Motorola] as 'Phones Plus,'" he said.

That's what Apple wants competitors to think about iPhone: "phone plus apps."

(Fooled Microsoft, Palm, RIM, et al into releasing phones with just apps.)

And yes, it's just fine if consumers still think of iPhone as a "smartphone."

(They don't care what it's called.  It's the best and they just want it.)

(Pssst....  iPhone is actually a pocket-sized computer wirelessly connected to a massive ecosystem.

But don't tell anyone.  The longer the competitors don't understand the whole ecosystem concept,

the better for Apple.  They'll just keep pulling ahead in the post-PC era.)

• Reply 23 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When is Apple Maps coming to the web? I have one application that uses a web page embedded map. 

• Reply 24 of 151
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Thwack !
    Roundhouse kick - thwack !
    Straight right to finish him - Thwack !

Nothing like a Schmidt punchbag to get you going ....
  • Reply 25 of 151
    jacodbjacodb Posts: 23member
    Shut up Schmidt!

For a long time you gave us a sub par maps experience on the iPhone. Now you want to cry? I love Apple Maps!
  • Reply 26 of 151
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

User data mining aside. The main take away is Apple wasn't getting the same updates on iOS as Android was getting. Why should they be left behind? 

Right on, Google didn't keep their Apple  iOS Maps up to date.  Of course Google wanted to have their spyware android as the best for Apps.  Quite a conflict of interest here.

Now I find Apple's Maps a better mapping program for our area.  I use both Map programs.

It would be very dumb of Apple to put Google Maps up front- EVER!  I'm sure my Apple is much smarter than that.

Nice try Google, but most iPhone users I know only use your Maps if necessary. You'll have to do most of your spying on the OS you built by copying much of Apple's lovely  iOS.

• Reply 27 of 151
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

Bugger off - we do not do business with convicted criminals! 

(I'm from the EU - not sure what the situation is in other countries.)

It is time that someone put a stop to the evil doing of these data thieves.

• Reply 28 of 151
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I think it's fantastic because this is what open source is all about," Schmidt said. "It's experimentation, it's new ideas, it's creativity, and I think it's one of the big reasons that Android is the number one platform. And I think it took guts for us [to go open source]."

OMG, he said it took guts to create a spyware phone OS.

Yes it was a lot of effort, even if  it  was copied from Apple's iOS.

But to have an OS which reports everything a phone user does is a huge payoff for Google.

Now if only Google would let iPhone users have some privacy and to only use Google Maps by choice.

I'm wondering what the new BlackBerry phone does for Maps? 

I can't see any Google App satisfying their security levels.

• Reply 29 of 151

It's as if he forgot he stole the idea for Android a few years back.  This can only mean that Google is actually feeling the dent in being able to sell our information.

If I left my employer and stole all their stuff, for sure I get sued.  How was it OK for him to be on Apple's board, see the iPhone prior to launch, and then go copy it just by leaving?  Just not sure how Google get's away with this, dancing around privacy law, etc.

• Reply 30 of 151
    Well it is there are three main competitors apple, google, and Microsoft.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Because Eric Schmidt doesn't have much else to talk about.  And why isn't Schmidt wearing his Google Glass?  Doesn't he like them?

• Reply 32 of 151

Wow. A lot vitriol here. But what the heck, I am going to stick my neck out into the lion's den.

After months of using both, I have to honestly admit that I prefer Google Maps. Although Apple's maps have an overall cleaner appearance, the user interface is much simpler and more efficient with Google (especially when it comes to having edit or redo addresses for directions -- e.g., put in a new starting or new ending point without having to provide all of the info all over again).

Second, I have repeatedly run into situations -- and I am talking about being in reasonably well-worn parts of the US (even though not big cities), not some off-the-beaten-path locations in the boondocks -- where Google just seems to be able to recognize more street names and addresses than Apple does. I am sure Apple's maps are steadily improving on this front, but the number of times that Apple maps has returned something to the effect of "address not found" but Google is able to find it is frankly distressing. (And, tbh, I have neither the time nor the interest in sending complaints to Apple each time that happens).

Third, Google Maps is well-integrated with my car (a BMW). Apple could get there eventually, but it would have to give me something significantly additional, such as seamless Siri integration with my car's navigation system to get me to switch.

There, I said it.image

• Reply 33 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Third, Google Maps is well-integrated with my car (a BMW). 

I too have a BMW (2012). Please explain how Google Maps integrates with the built-in navigation system, if that is what you are implying.

• Reply 34 of 151
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

He is starting to sound like Balmer.

He sounds like a disappointed child who's friends decided not to play in his sand box he decided to piss in. Now all his friends took their toys and went to play in their own sand box.

• Reply 35 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I've gotten over the loss of streetview, although it was really useful and I would like it back if possible.  The thing I can't do without is any kind of transit information.  
    Without that, maps is useless for anyone who doesn't drive which is at least 40% of the population in most countries and more like 60% where I live.  If Apple could only add back in the transit info then they wouldn't be "number two" anymore at least.  

But you can get all that back with the Google Maps app, right? The problem of not having Google Maps' features went away when they started offering their separate app several months ago.

Wow. A lot vitriol here. But what the heck, I am going to stick my neck out into the lion's den.

After months of using both, I have to honestly admit that I prefer Google Maps. Although Apple's maps have an overall cleaner appearance, the user interface is much simpler and more efficient with Google (especially when it comes to having edit or redo addresses for directions -- e.g., put in a new starting or new ending point without having to provide all of the info all over again).

Second, I have repeatedly run into situations -- and I am talking about being in reasonably well-worn parts of the US (even though not big cities), not some off-the-beaten-path locations in the boondocks -- where Google just seems to be able to recognize more street names and addresses than Apple does. I am sure Apple's maps are steadily improving on this front, but the number of times that Apple maps has returned something to the effect of "address not found" but Google is able to find it is frankly distressing. (And, tbh, I have neither the time nor the interest in sending complaints to Apple each time that happens).

I've seen it both ways. Sometimes Apple is better, sometimes Google is better. I like having both apps.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

It's nice to have a choice. I tend to still use Google maps more though.

• Reply 37 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    As a mapping app developer I would NOT like to have Google Maps be the default for iOS. They come with too many restrictions on what app developers can do with them. If your app is successful and a lot of people use it, Google can turn off their maps. All of Google's mapping SDKs come with a long list of things you CAN'T do with them. Apple's maps are improving rapidly. They are vector and smaller to download. They are cached on the device so even if you lose connection to the internet, the maps still work over a large area. Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. Caching them would require a lot of data storage but that does not matter because caching is one of the things that you are not allowed to do. Thanks but I will keep Apple's maps.

You might want to recheck your facts. Google no longer uses tiles. They switched to vectoring a few years ago on Android and now use it for the iOS app.
  • Reply 38 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    please delete. Dup post
  • Reply 39 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You might want to recheck your facts. Google no longer uses tiles. They switched to vectoring a few years ago on Android and now use it for the iOS app.

Their newest UI style sure looks lifted straight from early Metro, though.

• Reply 40 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I too have a BMW (2012). Please explain how Google Maps integrates with the built-in navigation system, if that is what you are implying.

I have no idea what you read into what I was implying (other than that, at this point, I prefer Google Maps to Apple Maps and that might change with Siri integration in my car), but here you go: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/BMWValue/BMWAssist/BMWAssistMyInfoFAQ.aspx

Add: You have to call their 1-800 number (or whatever their customer assist number is, the info is in your car settings) to set it up.