Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I really dont un derstand the negativity with repsect to Apples maps, from day one i thought it was fantastic as it did exactly what I needed it to do. Today it is even better. Just two days ago I popped up Siri, while driving and said I need a map to Muncy PA. Within a few seconds I had the map and was being told to hang a U-turn to get back on track.

i really think the only problem with Siri is that there where too many children with access to the internet complaining about something just for the sake of complaining. That combined with a media frenzy to find something wrong with Apple lead to a lot of bad press. The complaining was a blizzard of hot air spun up be people with nothing legitimate to complain about and often with some sort of vendetta against Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 151
    He doesn't know Jack Schmidt...
  • Reply 43 of 151
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Maps is way out ahead of anything Google is offering, developer support being just one element. I've yet to see how Google Maps is a better mapping app, in many cases it is far worst. To each his own but I'm finding myself reaching for Apples maps app more and more because it does what it does really well.
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    As a mapping app developer I would NOT like to have Google Maps be the default for iOS. They come with too many restrictions on what app developers can do with them. If your app is successful and a lot of people use it, Google can turn off their maps. All of Google's mapping SDKs come with a long list of things you CAN'T do with them. Apple's maps are improving rapidly. They are vector and smaller to download. They are cached on the device so even if you lose connection to the internet, the maps still work over a large area. Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. Caching them would require a lot of data storage but that does not matter because caching is one of the things that you are not allowed to do. Thanks but I will keep Apple's maps.
  • Reply 44 of 151
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member

Apple's complete control over iOS, is just one of the reasons I am in the process of leaving the iOS ecosystem.  I like google maps, apple maps aren't bad, but I want a choice... I can go to another application, but I can't set google maps as a default.  Same thing goes for my web browser.  Safari isn't bad, but I prefer the way chrome syncs across all my devices.  Yet, on my ipad I'm stuck using safari when I click on links from emails, or applications.  It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me.  Their arrogance is worse than MS when it came to internet explorer.  At least you could set netscape as your default browser back in the day.  

I'm sure many of you will go on loving apple product, and that's fine with me, I don't really care.  But claiming that things like apple maps don't matter, and users don't want choice is just burying your head in the sand.  It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen.  their market share numbers may be #1 for now, but with the arrogance that apple's gone with, I could see it dropping fast, the only question is when. 

As far as the cost of leaving the iOS ecosystem... Having $25 or so worth of software on one device won't hold people back.  especially when apple's products are prices $100 or more than the competitors.

Phil

• Reply 45 of 151
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

The main take away is Apple wasn't getting the same updates on iOS as Android was getting. Why should they be left behind? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by forangels View Post

Too late Shmitty, in my opinion, Apples maps is already better than Google maps, you should have thought of that before. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacodb View Post

For a long time you gave us a sub par maps experience on the iPhone. Now you want to cry? I love Apple Maps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Right on, Google didn't keep their Apple iOS Maps up to date.  

Ummm...you guys do realize that the old versions of iOS Maps were written by Apple....right?!? Google only provided the data that was driving the application (graphics, POI, etc). It was up to Apple to update the mapping application and take advantage of the latest SDK features.

• Reply 46 of 151
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Ummm...you guys do realize that the old versions of iOS Maps were written by Apple....right?!? Google only provided the data that was driving the application (graphics, POI, etc). It was up to Apple to update the mapping application and take advantage of the latest SDK features.

But what if Apple needed Google's approval before implementing certain features (e.g. turn-by-turn) on iOS? Rumor has it that that's what happened. 

• Reply 47 of 151
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    HE STARTED AGAIN.  THIS GUY IS HAVING POTS AND POTS OF VODKA AND COMING TO PRESS AND TALKING.

Nope. He's stone cold sober and still talks like this
  • Reply 48 of 151
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    Apple would like Google to pay royalties for the Android OS.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

But what if Apple needed Google's approval before implementing certain features (e.g. turn-by-turn) on iOS? Rumor has it that that's what happened. 

There certainly would have been a licensing agreement as Google was paying Apple for the privilege of being the default mapping provider. As I understand it, Apple did not want to broker a deal based upon the conditions given by Google. We simply don't know what those conditions were. The disagreement could have been as simple as Apple not wanting to include the name 'Google' anywhere in their application, or Apple wanting more money for including Google mapping services.

• Reply 50 of 151
    Their newest UI style sure looks lifted straight from early Metro, though.

You've never seen Metro? Or Holo/Cards?
  • Reply 51 of 151
    jcallows wrote: »
    Apple would like Google to pay royalties for the Android OS.

Because....?
  • Reply 52 of 151
    Schmidt seems to have mouth diarrhea sometimes. But he sure as hell gets people speaking about him. Good or bad.
  • Reply 53 of 151

Schmidt also downplayed the notion any increasing tensions between <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/15/samsungs-galaxy-s4-distracts-attention-away-from-android">Google and Samsung</a>. Samsung is essentially the only Android manufacturer making money on its handsets, and the South Korean conglomerate's Galaxy line arguably has better name recognition than the Android software underlying it.

"We've spent lots of time with Samsung," Schmidt said, "and I can confirm to you that the press coverage of 'tensions' is not correct."

"Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people; and behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him."

Pontius Pilate

Nothing quite so encouraging as a public vote of confidence from a high-ranking official!
  • Reply 54 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by excelsior View Post

You've never seen Metro?

You've not seen Google's new designs? image

Originally Posted by excelsior View Post

Because....?

Come off it.

• Reply 55 of 151
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Breaking news, "Google chairman believes google app should be default on iOS". 

What a shocking statement. Why the **** is this a story again? What will be tomorrow's headline? "Eric Schmidt believes that Google is a great company"?

Jesus Christ. The troll-bait map comparison in the article is just icing on this cake of this shitty "story". 

• Reply 56 of 151
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. A lot vitriol here. But what the heck, I am going to stick my neck out into the lion's den.

After months of using both, I have to honestly admit that I prefer Google Maps. Although Apple's maps have an overall cleaner appearance, the user interface is much simpler and more efficient with Google (especially when it comes to having edit or redo addresses for directions -- e.g., put in a new starting or new ending point without having to provide all of the info all over again).

Second, I have repeatedly run into situations -- and I am talking about being in reasonably well-worn parts of the US (even though not big cities), not some off-the-beaten-path locations in the boondocks -- where Google just seems to be able to recognize more street names and addresses than Apple does. I am sure Apple's maps are steadily improving on this front, but the number of times that Apple maps has returned something to the effect of "address not found" but Google is able to find it is frankly distressing. (And, tbh, I have neither the time nor the interest in sending complaints to Apple each time that happens).

Third, Google Maps is well-integrated with my car (a BMW). Apple could get there eventually, but it would have to give me something significantly additional, such as seamless Siri integration with my car's navigation system to get me to switch.

There, I said it.image

I tried to use Google Maps on the iPad.  However, it is an iPhone application.  Of course the experience is very bad.  The Apple Maps on iPad is a full screen app.  It trounces Google Maps easily.

We will never forget when Google introduced the Android smartphone in late 2009, it touted it has navigation feature as better the Google Map app on the iPhone.  Google had done evil to iPhone users despite it makes a ton of money from them.  We should never trust a business that runs like this. 

• Reply 57 of 151
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philgar View Post

Apple's complete control over iOS, is just one of the reasons I am in the process of leaving the iOS ecosystem.  I like google maps, apple maps aren't bad, but I want a choice... I can go to another application, but I can't set google maps as a default.  Same thing goes for my web browser.  Safari isn't bad, but I prefer the way chrome syncs across all my devices.  Yet, on my ipad I'm stuck using safari when I click on links from emails, or applications.  It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me.  Their arrogance is worse than MS when it came to internet explorer.  At least you could set netscape as your default browser back in the day.  

I'm sure many of you will go on loving apple product, and that's fine with me, I don't really care.  But claiming that things like apple maps don't matter, and users don't want choice is just burying your head in the sand.  It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen.  their market share numbers may be #1 for now, but with the arrogance that apple's gone with, I could see it dropping fast, the only question is when. 

As far as the cost of leaving the iOS ecosystem... Having $25 or so worth of software on one device won't hold people back.  especially when apple's products are prices $100 or more than the competitors.

Phil

Bye bye.  Please leave Apple Insider.  What is your purpose of staying here then?

• Reply 58 of 151
    You've not seen Google's new designs? :lol:

Come off it.

Holo/Cards does not look like Metro other than the focus on flat minimalism. Beyond that they are very different.

And I do not recall Android being stole from Apple. Last I checked both have completely unique codes and somewhat similar features in certain parts of the ui/ux. But that would be akin to stating the Apple notification panel is stolen from Android. Inspiration ? thievery.

Hell infringement ? thievery.
  • Reply 59 of 151
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I like Eric. Whatever he says about these topics, the reality is the opposite.
  • Reply 60 of 151
    tzeshan wrote: »

You are a liar.  I tried to use Google Maps on the iPad.  However, it is an iPhone application.  Of course the experience is very bad.  The Apple Maps on iPad is a full screen app.  It trounces Google Maps easily.

We will never forget when Google introduced the Android smartphone in late 2009, it touted it has navigation feature as better the Google Map app on the iPhone.  Google had done evil to iPhone users despite it makes a ton of money from them.  We should never trust a business that runs like this. 

10/21/2008

Navigation did come later. As an exclusive Android feature. For a time. Apple and Google were in talks to bring navigation to Apple maps (along with other things) but they couldn't agree on terms.

From what I've read Google wanted to brand the app and allow Latitude as an opt-in. One which would make no sense on iOS (a competitor's branded app) and the other in direct competition with find my friends on iOS thus redundant.