Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results

Comments

• Reply 341 of 400
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Hmmm... I didn't bother looking at anything except that Steve retook the reins of Apple. That's all I needed to know. To heck with music industry etc.

As far as gold... the chatter about gold was incessant. I knew it was a no brainer.

I'm not so sure, anymore, that AAPL will be that much higher... if any... in the future. I left in the mid 5s and haven't looked back. (oh... there was a brief ill timed foray after 600 where I lost $100... but got the hell out quickly).

OK, well then I would call you lucky if that's the depth of your consideration. Likewise, you will probably not remember, let alone appreciate, my dissertation above a decade from now in any case.

Fortune to you, Island,
    Thompson
  • Reply 342 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

OK, well then I would call you lucky if that's the depth of your consideration. Likewise, you will probably not remember, let alone appreciate, my dissertation above a decade from now in any case.

Fortune to you, Island,

Thompson

Lucky that I chose to ride on Steve's back... now there's a fresh new opinion on this Forum.

• Reply 343 of 400
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I can't believe this thread is still going. I have no idea what happened since page 6 or 7 but I assume it was mostly the same.

2) I think their results look good. They did miss the "estimates" for their profits which means that the stock would drop if it were AAPL, but for these results I think the market should react favourably. In fact, I see the after hours response as not strong enough.
    Hmm..I was following on CNBC and they were pretty meh on Google, Microsoft and IBM.
  • Reply 344 of 400
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member

jdnc123 left for the day and is now writing at The Onion:

Weeping Tim Cook Spotted Screaming For Help At Steve Jobs’ Tombstone

http://www.theonion.com/articles/weeping-tim-cook-spotted-screaming-for-help-at-ste,32104

• Reply 345 of 400
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

" I was in it too, once upon a time, as my initial investment dropped 40% or so before recovering.  I held on because I saw what was happening to the music industry and knew that Apple was in the catbird seat."

Oh man I remember that: dropped from 70ish to 35 and scared the spit out of me.  But I REALLY liked my iPod and iTunes on my new MacBook Titanium was just such a revelation that I hung on. The phone and the pad have been happy additons...

This drop from a possible 20x yield to a possible 11x has been upsetting but not nearly as scary.

• Reply 346 of 400
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If anyone can predict what will transpire a decade in advance and it happens as they say... well, that's either luck or they can see the future... global sense and all.

The only things I listened too were that gold would become king in the first decade and that Apple would prosper under Jobs.

... and I still consider that dumb luck.

In a world that permits Amazon's P/E to exist is there any other rationale?

• Reply 347 of 400
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    In a world that permits Amazon's P/E to exist is there any other rationale?

Note that this quarter there has been no P/E since the last previous quarter they took a loss. They may want to take a loss over having the world's first 100,000 P/E.
  • Reply 348 of 400
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

" I was in it too, once upon a time, as my initial investment dropped 40% or so before recovering.  I held on because I saw what was happening to the music industry and knew that Apple was in the catbird seat."

Oh man I remember that: dropped from 70ish to 35 and scared the spit out of me.  But I REALLY liked my iPod and iTunes on my new MacBook Titanium was just such a revelation that I hung on. The phone and the pad have been happy additons...

This drop from a possible 20x yield to a possible 11x has been upsetting but not nearly as scary.

Last November called, it wants its Apple P/E back.

• Reply 349 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm..I was following on CNBC and they were pretty meh on Google, Microsoft and IBM.

Google had a massive bottom line beat (10% or so), IBM was worse than meh.

• Reply 350 of 400
    Lucky that I chose to ride on Steve's back... now there's a fresh new opinion on this Forum.

If you chose that at the time he came back, before iMac, iPod, etc, and not just saying that with today's hindsight, then I would say you gambled. He was a legend because of the Macintosh, but his business track record was not established by any means. Same for basing choices on "chatter" re Gold.

I prefer to envision the likely future, if and when I can, like in the earlier post. I am either right or wrong, but never lucky, good or bad. If I end up right for the wrong reason, I am humble and learn my lesson.

Thompson
  • Reply 351 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

If you chose that at the time he came back, before iMac, iPod, etc, and not just saying that with today's hindsight, then I would say you gambled. He was a legend because of the Macintosh, but his business track record was not established by any means. Same for basing choices on "chatter" re Gold.

I prefer to envision the likely future, if and when I can, like in the earlier post. I am either right or wrong, but never lucky, good or bad. If I end up right for the wrong reason, I am humble and learn my lesson.

Thompson

I envisioned the future with Steve.

• Reply 352 of 400
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Honestly, just block me if you don't want to read my posts.

Can we just move on from this guy-  Blah Blah Blah....

• Reply 353 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I envisioned the future with Steve.

Good.

So what do you envision now?  How does it compare with what I posted?  Let's compare notes, for you may have some valuable insight.  

Thompson

• Reply 354 of 400
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

I don't understand how so many people can think that the AAPL decline isn't expected and/or that the stock isn't still overvalued.

If you were to try and think of one company that might have its stock price inflated by company "fans" and/or amateur investors looking for the "next big company", I think 99.9% of people would think of AAPL.

Honestly, did you all think that apple was worth more than every non-state oil company in the world? I'm no investor myself, but that always seemed ridiculous to me - those are companies who have no real competitors, whose product is guaranteed to rise in value in the future, and whose product will never be replaced by a "better" product in our lifetimes.

Also, as soon as Apple became "the biggest company in the world", you also had to expect that a bunch more idiots would gobble up stock because it was a "sure investment" because bigger is somehow better. I highly doubt any experienced/smart investors bought Apple when it starting passing Shell Oil and Exxon; it just doesn't make any sense.

I look at Microsoft's value when it was at it's absolute peak of dominance (and overinflated stock prices), installed on something like 90% of computers in the world in 1999, when personal computers were still a huge growth market and then see Apple pass those levels with, what 25% of smartphone sales, 50% of tablet sales and maybe 5% of global PC sales, and really there's no way I can see the Apple market cap being anywhere near realistic, even though Apple's profit margins are much higher than Microsofts have ever been. In '99, Microsoft was profiting on almost every computer sold (with no real competitors) at a time when global market penetration of computers was still growing exponentially. Compare that to Apple nowadays, with a thin sliver of PC sales in an industry that is stagnating, a non-dominant share of smart-phones, which is a segment with slowing sales the past 2 years, and a major share in Tablets, which is really an unknown in terms of future value. Nothing suggests Apple should be worth more than Exxon to me.

• Reply 355 of 400
    igriv wrote: »
    Google had a massive bottom line beat (10% or so), IBM was worse than meh.
    Yeah because their effective tax rate dropped from 18% to 8%. At least that's what John Fort said on CNBC.
  • Reply 356 of 400
    superbass wrote: »
    I don't understand how so many people can think that the AAPL decline isn't expected and/or that the stock isn't still overvalued.

If you were to try and think of one company that might have its stock price inflated by company "fans" and/or amateur investors looking for the "next big company", I think 99.9% of people would think of AAPL.

Honestly, did you all think that apple was worth more than every non-state oil company in the world? I'm no investor myself, but that always seemed ridiculous to me - those are companies who have no real competitors, whose product is guaranteed to rise in value in the future, and whose product will never be replaced by a "better" product in our lifetimes.

Also, as soon as Apple became "the biggest company in the world", you also had to expect that a bunch more idiots would gobble up stock because it was a "sure investment" because bigger is somehow better. I highly doubt any experienced/smart investors bought Apple when it starting passing Shell Oil and Exxon; it just doesn't make any sense.

I look at Microsoft's value when it was at it's absolute peak of dominance (and overinflated stock prices), installed on something like 90% of computers in the world in 1999, when personal computers were still a huge growth market and then see Apple pass those levels with, what 25% of smartphone sales, 50% of tablet sales and maybe 5% of global PC sales, and really there's no way I can see the Apple market cap being anywhere near realistic, even though Apple's profit margins are much higher than Microsofts have ever been. In '99, Microsoft was profiting on almost every computer sold (with no real competitors) at a time when global market penetration of computers was still growing exponentially. Compare that to Apple nowadays, with a thin sliver of PC sales in an industry that is stagnating, a non-dominant share of smart-phones, which is a segment with slowing sales the past 2 years, and a major share in Tablets, which is really an unknown in terms of future value. Nothing suggests Apple should be worth more than Exxon to me.
    So you think that's why Apple is down 38% in the last 6 months? Because investors realized it shouldn't be worth more than an oil company? Would you agree that Apple's P/E of 8 makes sense when Google's is 23 and Microsoft's is 15?

Seems to me the drop in Apple stock is more to do with emotion than fundamentals. The meme in the media is that Apple isn't cool any more, is out of ideas, Samsung is the new cool kid on the block, etc. This meme keeps getting recycled over and over to the point where perception has become reality.

Where I would fault Apple is I don't think its done enough to try and turn around this sentiment. When Steve was running the show they could afford to be totally silent because everyone just assumed something good was being cooked up in Cupertino. Unfortunately now that Steve is gone that assumption is no longer being made. So Apple goes 6 months or more with no news, no product announcements and that gets spun as Apple being out of ideas, paralyzed, no idea how to counter Google, Samsung, etc. Apple's stance is to let the products do the talking. Which is fine if there's a steady stream of product launches spaced throughout the year. But going 6 months with nothing and allowing a vacuum to be created and filled with FUD and D&G is nuts.
  • Reply 357 of 400
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

...even though Apple's profit margins are much higher than Microsofts have ever been.

You just destroyed any vestige of understanding of the situation with that one little line, showing a mind-blowing level of ignorance.

Why don't you go check what Microsoft's profit margins have traditionally been?

• Reply 358 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah because their effective tax rate dropped from 18% to 8%. At least that's what John Fort said on CNBC.

Money is money.

• Reply 359 of 400

Do you have any ideas as to how low Apple stock price will fall before it rebounds?

When approximately do we hit bottom?

Fall 2013? 

• Reply 360 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Do you have any ideas as to how low Apple stock price will fall before it rebounds?

When approximately do we hit bottom?

Fall 2013? 

If someone tells you that they know the answer, they are lying. If you think it is a good deal, buy it, if you don't, don't. No one has ever gotten rich by calling bottoms and tops.