The bizarre campaign against Apple's Tim Cook

13468911

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 220
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I actually enjoyed Lyons Fake Steve Jobs posts, they were funny as hell.

    When he pretended to be a real journalist, I lost all respect for the guy.
  • Reply 102 of 220
    "Grandstanding and bluster" was what SJ was doing in the quote I cut-and-pasted in that post? Why don't you go back and re-read what I wrote.

    Great selective quoting of a post.......
    I read your entire post and what I'm saying is that Tim Cook doesn't need to answer to anybody. Not to me. Not to you, and CERTAINLY not to the idiots on Wall Street. The man has helmed a company that has brought in record revenue & profit quarter after quarter during his tenure as CEO.

    Once that changes then I'd say he has some answering to do but until such a time all this bs is nothing more than distraction, grandstanding & bluster by armchair qb's like Enderle and others.
  • Reply 103 of 220
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    OT: does anyone think Apple will announce WWDC tickets this week? I believe last year they announced on April 24.


    sounds about right

  • Reply 104 of 220
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,608member
    At this point, one might think Cook could simply go on vacation and set Apple's cash machine to run on autopilot. 

    So true. Apple's a freight train, with a good conductor, and Tim seems to be a great one, there's no stopping it. If he wants to hit the accelerator, all the better.

    Another very enjoyable read, love the DED articles. "Bizarre" is the right word; "shameless" would be another good fit. 
    That has basically been Microsoft's strategy for the past 12 years. Look where it has gotten them. I expect Cook can do much better than that, but what should investors expect?
  • Reply 105 of 220
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member


    Tim is in over his head. He's great at running the machine, but doesn't relate to tech users and is not a source of innovation.

  • Reply 106 of 220
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member


    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

    …the stock… …stock… …slide…


     



     


    Everything else you've said is either a lie or irrelevant.





    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

    You can't compare Steve Jobs to Tim Cook.


     


    They're CEO of the same company. Why can't that be done, again?

  • Reply 107 of 220
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    igriv wrote: »
    Wow, an actual interesting question! The interwebs seem to agree on "real soon now", but no one has specific guesses. Apparently <a href="https://secure.wwdcblast.com/signup" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">https://secure.wwdcblast.com/signup</a>;
     is the place to go.
    One reason I ask is because I think announcing WWDC now would be a positive bit of news. And perhaps the narrative would switch from D&G to buzzing about what Apple has cooking for WWDC. And it wouldn't hurt for Apple to leak a few things to friendly bloggers like John Gruber, Rene Ritchie or 9to5Mac. ;)
  • Reply 108 of 220
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

    Because he then loses the argument.

    Of course, they will let you compare Cook to Jobs in any negative way to show how dire Apple is but if you compare apples to apples to show market ebbs and flows within the same company that is still increasing its year over year revenue and profits they cry foul.
  • Reply 109 of 220
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post


    Tim is in over his head. He's great at running the machine, but doesn't relate to tech users and is not a source of innovation.



     


    "In over his head": Current CEO of the most successful company in the world, which has shattered all of its performance records under his tenure. 


     


    The shit people type about others, who are infinitely more accomplished than them, while behind a screen, is fucking amazing. 


     


    I wonder how many of you will apologize when the stock recovers, and when Apple unveils even more ground-breaking products under Cook?  Not a single one, by my prediction. 


     


    And what the **** does "doesn't relate to tech users" mean? As I recall, SJ didn't either. I recall quite well the vitriolic hatred technophiles and geeks had towards Jobs, who couldn't care less about their hard-on for specs, ports, options, etc, and who made techology useable and accessible to the masses and non-geeks, something self-righteous geeks never forgave him for. Almost single one of his product decisions enraged technophiles, as it took away their "options" (ie. non-removable batteries) but at the end of the day resulted in better, more efficient products for the masses. Also, it's not Cook's job to be a "source of innovation"- he's got an entire executive team to do that, and his job is to empower and facilitate that for them. There will never be another Steve Jobs, there isn't another one today in the tech industry (and no, Bezos is no Jobs), and demanding that Cook be so it's insanely unfair and childish. What Apple still has, however, are the key players that worked with Jobs and understood his vision. And I have utmost confidence in them. 

  • Reply 110 of 220
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    "In over his head": Current CEO of the most successful company in the world, which has shattered all of its performance records under his tenure. 

    The shit people type about others, who are infinitely more accomplished than them, while behind a screen, is fucking amazing. 

    I wonder how many of you will apologize when the stock recovers, and when Apple unveils even more ground-breaking products under Cook? 
    Not a single one, by my prediction. 

    They won't have to apologize. They've already stated that any rise under Cook was just a fluke of the market or luck. It's only when it goes down it's Cook's fault.

    It's the exact same people saying the exact same shit when Jobs was at the helm, but now that Jobs is dead they have moved the goal posts and whitewashed their negative history to now say "Time Cook is no Steve Jobs. If Steve were alive he'd never have let this happen."
  • Reply 111 of 220
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    They won't have to apologize. They've already stated that any rise under Cook was just a fluke of the market or luck. It's only when it goes down it's Cook's fault.



    It's the exact same people saying the exact same shit when Jobs was at the helm, but now that Jobs is dead they have moved the goal posts and whitewashed their negative history to now say "Time Cook is no Steve Jobs. If Steve were alive he'd never have let this happen."


     


    You're absolutely right. I have no doubt many who are bashing Cook now, asking for his head, and pining for the good old days of Jobs were the same people incessantly insisting that Jobs needed to step down, as he was "impeding" Apple, had "gone off the deep end", and had turned Apple into the "iToy company" and "forgot about Apple's real customers". Ironically, there were also so many posts suggesting Tim as a better leader, as he would be "more level-headed" than Jobs and would "steer the company back in the right direction" whatever the **** that direction was. These same people, who had so much contempt for Jobs and bashed every single one of his decisions, are now doing the same to Cook, with the added audacity of comparing him to Jobs and pretending that they loved him. It's sickening. 

  • Reply 112 of 220
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,855member


    Irrational exuberance drove the stock up and it is driving it down.  Apple is the most emotional stock in the world.  Predicting what a "normal" stock will do is mostly guesswork, predicting how Apple will perform in pretty much impossible.  Buy low sell high is the best you can do with Apple.

  • Reply 113 of 220


    I did a pole on my website asking if TC should go, and it started going against tim, then quickly turned around and now the vote is overwhelmingly in favor of TC staying.


     


    Polls Page

  • Reply 114 of 220
    welshdog wrote: »
    Irrational exuberance drove the stock up and it is driving it down.  Apple is the most emotional stock in the world.  Predicting what a "normal" stock will do is mostly guesswork, predicting how Apple will perform in pretty much impossible.  Buy low sell high is the best you can do with Apple.

    Or people could invest in some other electronics/computer company.

    Any idea who that would be?

    Though if Apple can make billions of dollars and their stock drops... I'm not seeing much hope for other companies.

    People might be better off putting their money under their mattress.
  • Reply 115 of 220
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    k2director wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not talking about future products has been part of Apple's MO since the beginning. What you call "an issue" is doing business. You would rather Apple Osbourne themselves than actually update products when they are ready to be updated. If what you want were realistic there would be no Apple Insider for you to bitch and moan on because there would be no Apple. By the way, it is not "dropping the ball" by not sending you a telegram about any and all potential future releases so just. Stop.
    I disagree.

    Apple's MO **used to be** to not talk about future products, but to release fresh updates at a reasonable rate, which kept customers happy. Even though Apple was silent, you could trust that it was still in the game and that investing in APple products was not a dead end. That MO worked but it is entirely different than Apple's current MO for many of its product segments like the Mac Pro.

    The *new* MO is to still not talk about future products, *and* to suddenly and inexplicably go YEARS without updates, as if the products were forgotten. That new MO is toxic to customers and to Apple's culture. Not giving a shit about a certain group of customers is not a sign of pursuing excellence.  

    But your really only talking about 1 product (the Mac Pro). Unless you want to count iWork, but I am not sure why you would. Both those trends also started before Jobs even left. The first person to mention the Mac pro in a long time was Tim Cook.
  • Reply 116 of 220
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    dm3 wrote: »
    Tim is in over his head. He's great at running the machine, but doesn't relate to tech users and is not a source of innovation.

    Was Jobs in over his head when the stock slid from $200 to $82? OR Is the stock market often illogical and any non-professional making securities investments without plans to hang on to them for the long-term (10 years+) just a fool?


    Jobs was running it right in 2008 and Cook is now. Just because some amateur short-term players are getting their asses handed to them by the pros is no reason to fire a CEO.
  • Reply 117 of 220

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Esoom View Post



    I actually enjoyed Lyons Fake Steve Jobs posts, they were funny as hell.



    When he pretended to be a real journalist, I lost all respect for the guy.


     


     


    He's actually kind of a dick, at least that was my experience. I spoke with Ken Segall last night, and Dan Lions name came up, he was trying to get Ken involved in a joint project, and Ken thinks he's a dick too.

  • Reply 118 of 220
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post





    I read your entire post and what I'm saying is that Tim Cook doesn't need to answer to anybody. Not to me. Not to you, and CERTAINLY not to the idiots on Wall Street. The man has helmed a company that has brought in record revenue & profit quarter after quarter during his tenure as CEO.



    Once that changes then I'd say he has some answering to do but until such a time all this bs is nothing more than distraction, grandstanding & bluster by armchair qb's like Enderle and others.


     


    Bzzzt! Wrong. Tim Cook works for the board, which represents the owners of the company -- the shareholders.

  • Reply 119 of 220
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post





    That has basically been Microsoft's strategy for the past 12 years. Look where it has gotten them. I expect Cook can do much better than that, but what should investors expect?


    Actually, you are not correct. Microsoft tried hard to grow outside their "ATM" business, and in some cases succeeded (Xbox) and in others, failed. Others yet are too close to call (cloud services).

  • Reply 120 of 220
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInvestor View Post


    I did a pole on my website asking if TC should go, and it started going against tim, then quickly turned around and now the vote is overwhelmingly in favor of TC staying.


     


    Polls Page



     


    Interesting, though not very relevant.

Sign In or Register to comment.