Google's Android on 59.5% of all 'smart mobile devices' shipped in Q1, Apple at 19.3%

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by baeder View Post

So, current ToysRUs flyer has three different 7 inch kid tablets from three different manufacturers that look Android based. Note they come with 4GB storage (and it looks like no SD slot)!   And there is a 10 inch Archos tablet for $179 (also only with 4GB but with an SD slot).

4GB is enough to download 100 Angry Birds type games.  Plenty for a kid.

Best thing about them is that they're so inexpensive, you don't even mind if they get lost or broken.  

And they can be re-purposed later:  I have several that the kids and grandkids used to use all the time.  Now that they're older, I gave them iPads and I use those old $100 Android tablets as dedicated Pandora and Scanner Radio devices on my desk.  Kind of neat.

• Reply 82 of 92
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Some of you may find this helpful:

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/09/what-apple-really-means-when-it-says-it-has-sold-a-product/

http://www.asymco.com/2012/05/28/shipped-and-sold-a-brief-introduction/

According to Horace Dediu, who is decidedly a pro-Apple guy: “Apple’s reports show shipments not sales.”

• Reply 83 of 92
    baederbaeder Posts: 25member
    kdarling wrote: »
    4GB is enough to download 100 Angry Birds type games.  Plenty for a kid.

Best thing about them is that they're so inexpensive, you don't even mind if they get lost or broken.  

And they can be re-purposed later:  <span style="line-height:1.231;">I have several that the kids and grandkids used to use all the time.  Now that they're older, I gave them iPads and I use those old $100 Android tablets as dedicated Pandora and Scanner Radio devices on my desk.  Kind of neat.</span>

True, that is a good use. However, I bet there is a lot less browsing and a lot less apps bought for the $149 android tablets than for an iPad. In fact the kid tablets come loaded with 50 apps. If I was a developer I could now understand better why apps aren't perhaps as lucrative on Android.
    I'm curious - do such tablets come with all the google apps installed or is it stripped down?
    Hopefully the build quality is better than the LeapPads - on those it always seemed that volume control or something else stopped working after a few months. Probably a lot better to buy one of these cheap Android tablets.
  • Reply 84 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by baeder View Post

I'm curious - do such tablets come with all the google apps installed or is it stripped down?

I don't know if the very low price Toys'R'Us Android tablets come with Google's own apps installed.  

It used to be that if a device didn't come with Google apps, you went online and found the files and installed them.   Nowadays, sometimes the super cheap tablets come with the Google apps already installed, but not the Google Play Market.  

For example, the Craig Android 4.0 tablet I got from CVS for $75 had GMaps, GMail, YouTube... but no Play Market, so I had to use the Amazon App Store instead, which was quite good enough for its original use as a kids gaming device and its current status as an internet airport radio scanner to keep my pilot's ear in practice.

• Reply 85 of 92
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Some of you may find this helpful:

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/09/what-apple-really-means-when-it-says-it-has-sold-a-product/

http://www.asymco.com/2012/05/28/shipped-and-sold-a-brief-introduction/

According to Horace Dediu, who is decidedly a pro-Apple guy: “Apple’s reports show shipments not sales.”

I read through both, and found quite a few inconsistencies, mostly in the gigaom article. The author of that clearly doesn't understand what he's writing about. He quotes "Apple reports shipments not sales" but Dediu doesn't really say that in his blog article. He does indicate that about 5% of reported sales remain in channel inventory, which is quite different from what the gigaom article says, That essentially says of the 37 millions phones Apple sold, 11 million of them remain in "channel inventory", which would mean about 1/3 of what Apple says it 'sold' is only 'shipped'.

But in real terms (revenue) a little simple math would reveal that to be impossible. 

This whole exercise feels like someone is once again trying to diminish Apple's real term position, while validating the nonsense of the "shipped vs sales" arguments...

If anything, those two articles only reinforced to me that Apple is much MUCH closer to reporting actual sell through (and justifying their revenue numbers) while the rest of the market is mostly smoke and mirrors supported by paid PR fluff...

• Reply 86 of 92
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I read through both, and found quite a few inconsistencies, mostly in the gigaom article. The author of that clearly doesn't understand what he's writing about. He quotes "Apple reports shipments not sales" but Dediu doesn't really say that in his blog article. He does indicate that about 5% of reported sales remain in channel inventory, which is quite different from what the gigaom article says, That essentially says of the 37 millions phones Apple sold, 11 million of them remain in "channel inventory", which would mean about 1/3 of what Apple says it 'sold' is only 'shipped'.

But in real terms (revenue) a little simple math would reveal that to be impossible. 

This whole exercise feels like someone is once again trying to diminish Apple's real term position, while validating the nonsense of the "shipped vs sales" arguments...

If anything, those two articles only reinforced to me that Apple is much MUCH closer to reporting actual sell through (and justifying their revenue numbers) while the rest of the market is mostly smoke and mirrors supported by paid PR fluff...

The whole shipped v. sales debate is indeed nonsense, regardless of what "side" you're on. No one keeps shipping millions of products every quarter if they are mostly sold at some point. Neither Apple nor Samsung would have billions in profits if they are not selling millions of phones. The precise number is really moot unless one is desperate for reasons to belittle a company (choose one) that couldn't care less what we all think.

Those keep persist in this discussion are talking with eyes closed and fingers in their ears.

Just like activation numbers, shipped v. sold should be shelved.

• Reply 87 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Some of those numbers seem off, but the general information is correct:

Yes, as the number of countries and retailers and sales increase, a rising portion of what Apple reports as sales have contributed to filling ever-growing inventory channels.

SeekingAlpha had a little article on this phenomena not long ago, and charted the trend:

So by the end of this year, about 11 million of the number of iPhones ever included in sales reports, will actually still not be sold to end users.  Likewise for about 4 million iPads.  

• Reply 88 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,440member
    [QUOTE name="anantksundaram" url="/t/157459/googles-android-on-59-5-of-all-smart-mobile-devices-shipped-in-q1-apple-at-19-3/40#post_2325172"]
    Have you bothered to go into "Apple Investor Relations", and say, click on "Contact", and say, craft a question, and say, hit "Submit", and see what happens?

Are you saying it did it not even occur to you to do that? 

I don't believe you're lazy (since you spend a lot of time trolling here with passive-aggressive posts), so it's logical to assume that you're just dissembling as usual.

And, while you're at it, care to respond to the three other posts I had made in response to your weird assertions?
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE name="Gatorguy" url="/t/157459/googles-android-on-59-5-of-all-smart-mobile-devices-shipped-in-q1-apple-at-19-3/40#post_2325184"]
    Done. I'll post the answer if/when I get one from them.
    [/QUOTE]
    Just as you said Anantsundaram. I received a response today.

Here's what I asked.:

"The subject of channel inventory has come up a couple of times lately in Apple discussions. Some have said that the numbers mentioned during investor calls are only actual physical inventory counts required to be submitted by resellers on a weekly basis. Others believe that channel inventory is more of an estimate, tho based in part on reported inventory levels from some larger resellers, which is my guess. Still others have said it relies more on the pace of new orders from resellers replenishing their sold inventory, to guage the estimated inventory at any particular point in time. [I](Perhaps it's some combination of all three?)[/I] Has Apple ever officially commented on how channel inventory levels are determined, or if not specifically is there an explanation you could provide?"

So here is Apple's official answer:
    [SIZE=12px]"Hello xxxxxxx
    [SIZE=12px]"We receive regular reporting from our channel partners."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]So that's it. One sentence, to read into whatever you wish it to say. The spirit of Steve Jobs lives on at Apple.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Of course they receive reports from partners! Are those "regular reports" she mentions physical inventory reports? She didn't say that.  Are the "regular reports" daily, weekly, monthly? She didn't answer that part of my query either. Do [B]all[/B] partners "regularly report " physical inventory to Apple?  Dunno, she didn't  comment..  Are physical inventory counts the only thing that goes into the channel inventory numbers [I]IF[/I] that's what  the reports are she refers to are? She didn't answer that either, tho I asked.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]"We receive regular reporting from our channel partners".
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Really? Duh. But how does Apple arrive at the channel inventory numbers they report? A decidedly vague and nondescript one sentence non-answer is all I received.  I don't know any more about how they get there than I did [B]before[/B] I asked Apple the question.  
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Your welcome to make your own inquiry.
    [/SIZE]
  • Reply 89 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just as you said Anantsundaram. I received a response today.

Here's what I asked. 

"The subject of channel inventory has come up a couple of times lately in Apple discussions. Some have said that the numbers mentioned during investor calls are only actual physical inventory counts required to be submitted by resellers on a weekly basis. Others believe that channel inventory is more of an estimate, tho based in part on reported inventory levels from some larger resellers, which is my guess. Still others have said it relies more on the pace of new orders from resellers replenishing their sold inventory, to guage the estimated inventory at any particular point in time. (Perhaps it's some combination of all three?) Has Apple ever officially commented on how channel inventory levels are determined, or if not specifically is there an explanation you could provide?"

So here is Apple's official answer:

Hello -------,

"We receive regular reporting from our channel partners."

Bummer, dude.

It appears even Apple considers it a waste of time communicating with you.

• Reply 90 of 92
    If they made a connection between the real me and my online moniker Apple really does know more about us than we like to think.;)
  • Reply 91 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If they made a connection between the real me and my online moniker Apple really does know more about us than we like to think.

Are you saying that all those times you compared Apple to Google's privacy policies you didn't actually mean it?

• Reply 92 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Are you saying that all those times you compared Apple to Google's privacy policies you didn't actually mean it?

Funny! Well played sirimage