Google's Android on 59.5% of all 'smart mobile devices' shipped in Q1, Apple at 19.3%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    I am increasingly of the opinion that there is no news that can be trusted with regard to Apple. Every one has made up their minds already and are simply following the information that proves what they already know. Apple 2.0 and Asymco are the exceptions to this rule. They both attempt to ask what is wrong when they make a mistake. Appleinsider is too interested in collecting information to ask questions or report on their errors. See Apple 2.0's reporting on the false report about droping ipad mini sales. The shear volumn of false reporting is astonishing given how often it is literally designed to mislead the market.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    What are comparing a free software...with a highly paid one? Horses and apples..... really. It's like when kids we play "I and world"....
  • Reply 23 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

It is amazing how Apple haters lap this tripe up. They are told what to think and they do, like they have no minds. The irony is Apple haters have the nerve to call Apple users sheeple .... :no:

"Like they have no minds"?

You're way too charitable......
  • Reply 24 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drblank wrote: »
    Microsoft only sold 3 Million Surface units.  
    When did Microsoft announce surface sales?
  • Reply 25 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mudman2 wrote: »
    here we go, Shipped vs Sales again

lol losers
    Do you have some statistics on returns that would make you think shipped doesn't ultimately equal sold?

The problem isn't shipped vs sold, the problem is that other than Apple, the shipped numbers are ESTIMATES, not reall numbers provided by the device makers. If Android's numbers are so good why don't other companies disclose how many devices they shipped (either directly to consumers or to resellers)?
  • Reply 26 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Due to Canalys' methodology, Microsoft came in behind Android and Apple with a 19.3 percent share of the "smart mobile device" market thanks to its huge influence in the notebook PC segment. The notebook market saw 50.5 million shipped units, a contraction of 13.1 percent from 2012.

Next quarter Canalys plan to include riding lawnmowers as part of the "smart mobile market"… Likely, John Deere will capture 75% of the market!
  • Reply 27 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Duplicate
  • Reply 28 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    This is good news for Android. Can't wait for the vendors to release actual numbers to back this "report" up. *crickets*
  • Reply 29 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,440member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Next quarter Canalys plan to include riding lawnmowers as part of the "smart mobile market"… Likely, John Deere will capture 75% of the market!

How else to include Microsoft in a discussion on the mobile market if laptops aren't included? image

• Reply 30 of 92
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Sorry, you guys are kicking and screaming but i do find these stats believable, besides samsung's huge numbers.

Again, some of you are missing the point here:

This is about smartphones + tablets + computers.

Apple just passed all of those windows OEMs for good. That's amazing and worth some sort of docs by Discovery or something like that.

• Reply 31 of 92
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

here we go, Shipped vs Sales again

lol losers

Apple can't track all sales. They don't know what is all sold everywhere. They don't have access to other company's inventories. There was an article I read last night that stated that Apple's numbers are "shipped", because they can only track sales through their stores.

"sold" is a myth.

P

• Reply 32 of 92
    "But HTC and Samsung have raised the bar with their latest handsets and Apple needs to respond with its next iPhone."

Hope Apple remembers Steve Jobs words in his interview alongside Bill Gates.

"Apple didn't need to beat Microsoft. Apple had to remember who Apple was!"
  • Reply 33 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    pfisher wrote: »

Apple can't track all sales. They don't know what is all sold everywhere. They don't have access to other company's inventories. There was an article I read last night that stated that Apple's numbers are "shipped", because they can only track sales through their stores.

"sold" is a myth.

P

Here's the thing. Apple releases actual numbers for shipped. They also give out an estimate on what they have in inventory.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pfisher wrote: »

"sold" is a myth.

P

Yes but good luck getting people to get that here. Apples numbers are shipped not sell through, although you get the sell through in the conference call.

Yes. Android sales are estimates but even if those estimates were 10% off in unit shipments android is still way ahead.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    A lot of companies are losing money on low margin phones.
  • Reply 36 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes but good luck getting people to get that here. Apples numbers are shipped not sell through, although you get the sell through in the conference call.

Yes. Android sales are estimates but even if those estimates were 10% off in unit shipments android is still way ahead.

I don't believe Apple themselves has ever explained how they determine channel inventory numbers. If they have perhaps someone could link it. It's almost assuredly an estimate only, tho an educated one, as I don't believe a physical count from hundreds of worldwide retail outlets would be a reasonable expectation. 

• Reply 37 of 92

CLEAN  water is not free anymore.

What's really funny is that Coke takes water away from third world farmers, who end up not being able to grow crops, and then commit suicide. 

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/july-dec08/waterwars_11-17.html

Also pesticides and cover ups in Coke.

http://killercoke.org/crimes_india.php

The link above is one-sided, but gives a good overview.

• Reply 38 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't believe Apple themselves has ever explained how they determine channel inventory numbers. If they have perhaps someone could link it. It's almost assuredly an estimate only, tho an educated one, as I don't believe a physical count from hundreds of worldwide retail outlets would be a reasonable expectation. 

I used to work in Apple Cork where they knew exactly down to the unit how many were shipped per quarter from Cork. Foxconn sends devices to Apple which distributes them to channel or direct online sales which can be tracked. So that bit is true - Apples figures are near enough exact, or exact.

They are mostly sales to Channel though , as well as sales to online consumers.
  • Reply 39 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I used to work in Apple Cork where they knew exactly down to the unit how many were shipped per quarter from Cork. Foxconn sends devices to Apple which distributes them to channel or direct online sales which can be tracked. So that bit is true - Apples figures are near enough exact, or exact.

They are mostly sales to Channel though , as well as sales to online consumers.

I don't doubt at all that Apple would know how many units they had shipped, as well they should! I don't believe Apple "knows" the actual product inventory numbers from hundreds of resellers with nearly the same degree of certainly.

• Reply 40 of 92
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

A lot of companies are losing money on low margin phones.

They aren't losing money.  They're making money that no one else would get.

For extreme example, take Nokia's $20 phone.  That's a ridiculously low price, yet they make $4 per unit (20% margin) and probably sell millions of them.

As they say, "A penny here, a penny there.  Pretty soon you're talking about real money" :)