Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Microsoft wants iTunes and Apple wants MS Office...I'd say this gets worked out to everyone's advantage at some point.

Interesting standoff indeed. But this is not a simple quid pro quo. Office on the iPad will make Surface even less appealing.  ITunes for Metro is less likely to affect iPad sales.

• Reply 22 of 132
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They have it. It's called iWork

Exactly.....How many of us would WANT to run Office on our OSX or iOS devices? I have no desire to do that.

iWork...Pages...Number.....works just fine for me....

• Reply 23 of 132
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Why not give a glass of cold water to somebody in hell? :D :D  

• Reply 24 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

My fears that Jony will wipe down OS X and iOS have been slightly assuaged.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Misleading headline.

Nope.

Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Microsoft wants iTunes and Apple wants MS Office...

No, Apple couldn't care less about Office.

I just wish Apple hadn't stopped Safari development for Windows. Eventually Safari 5 won't be good enough for modern websites, whenever "modern" is.

• Reply 25 of 132
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there  I could easily see Amazon throwing something together to throw on Metro to sell music and movies if the opening is there.

• Reply 26 of 132
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Which gets even less respect and development than their pro apps.

• Reply 27 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    conrail wrote: »
    iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there  I could easily see Amazon throwing something together to throw on Metro to sell music and movies if the opening is there.

Most iPhone users are Windows users. iPod users too.

It seems to be a lack of expertise.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Port Office to iOS, and port FaceTime to Windws. Cut a deal, MS: You'll both win!

I wish they could do something like this too...  imo Apple is the problem here.

• Reply 29 of 132
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

The problem here is Apple users could flee the ios ecosystem and still keep there movies and music. There is where I hate Apple, it just want to close everthing down just to retain users, its not acting for the users best interest at all.

imo facetime should be port to both windows and iOS for starters. Hopefully they could do a better job then itunes which is the mother of all bloated software on windows.

• Reply 30 of 132

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there…

It's already there. Done.

• Reply 31 of 132
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple isn't going to spend the resources to help out a failing operating system and Microsoft knows that they can't move people away from the desktop without iTunes. Tee Hee.
  • Reply 32 of 132
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Regarding bringing Office to iOS... Apple does not really need Office on the iPad. Furthermore, Microsoft would probably do a crappy job porting it anyway. Non issue.

• Reply 33 of 132
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Tablet-only Windows 8 isn't a very large market.

This.  What's the point of putting it on RT?  Now Metro- cool- I'm all for that.  But it being on RT is like having it on Android.

• Reply 34 of 132
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    I thin Apple know the RT surfaces are not long for this world so why bother.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Or... you can just buy a Mac. It seems like no one wants Windows 8 and even Microsoft is needing to back pedal and stick that Start button back on there. When people want to upgrade to a new computer, they can get an iPad (which has iTunes), or a Mac. While iTunes is another revenue stream, it's not nearly as big (or long lasting) as getting people in the ecosystem with hardware.  Also, with the talk about iRadio, there's no reason Apple wouldn't put this all on the web instead and make it all cloud based.

• Reply 36 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnet has a similar article about how iTunes, iCloud and iBooks should be ported to Android. Good grief. Do people not get Apple's business model? iTunes was ported to Windows for one reason: to sell more iPods, which brought people in to the Apple ecosystem and had the potential of increasing Mac sales. How does making mobile versions of iTunes for other platforms sell more iPhones, iPads and iPods?
  • Reply 37 of 132
    conrail wrote: »
    Does Apple actually make money off iTunes? How do you make money distributing someone else's content?
  • Reply 38 of 132
    asdasd wrote: »
    Most iPhone users are Windows users. iPod users too.

It seems to be a lack of expertise.
    But these days you don't really have to use iTunes for much. I think I've used iTunes on my PC once in the last year. Software updates don't require it and I use Spotify so have no need to buy music off iTunes,
  • Reply 39 of 132
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

I would argue that based on the way they treat iWork at Apple and the customers that have moved to it, it's easy to believe that the entire iWork project is just a placeholder until MS caves and gives them Office.  They devote almost no resources to iWork at all.  

If they really wanted to make a better Word processor that Word for example, why would they make a product like Pages which was something like 80% as good as Word at launch, and then almost five years later still be hawking at the same flawed, incomplete product that is really no better, and no different from the day it launched.  Also, in terms of word processing on iOS, if Pages is their "Word killer" or Word replacement at least, why isn't it even feature complete versus the desktop Pages even after multiple versions?  The only explanation there that doesn't make Apple look bad, is you have to assume that the more advanced features are perhaps impossible due to processing limitations on iOS, which could be a good reason why Office is taking so long as well, but I kind of doubt that.  

If Apple actually does like iWork and does treat it like a real program and not a placeholder, why has there been almost no development of any of the programs for five years?  They rarely advertise iWork or promote it in any way either and when they do it's presented as a way "kids" can do their school homework easily or "Mom" (sic) can make recipe cards, or "Dad" can put up posters about the lost cat.  It's never advertised as what it's only a hair away from being, which is a good word processor that can replace Word in most cases.  

Typical of Apple's software teams, it's a product that they put together in a weekend and have only done minor bug-fixing ever since.  Until they move forward with it, it's just a placeholder IMO.  

• Reply 40 of 132

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would argue that based on the way they treat iWork at Apple and the customers that have moved to it, it's easy to believe that the entire iWork project is just a placeholder until MS caves and gives them Office.  They devote almost no resources to iWork at all.  

Best presentation software available and they "devote no resources to iWork"? How does that work?