Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

You are confused about 'serious work'.

You can use the Adobe Suite to do serious work.

However, you can do serious work WITHOUT using the Adobe Suite.

Just like you can do serious work WITHOUT using MS Office.

Are there specific things that you can't readily do, or can't do as well as with a full desktop system?  Sure.

There's also a reason why Microsoft focus's so heavily on how Surface devices can readily use/have a keyboard & pointing device.

I never used the term "serious work", so I'm not confused. I simply stated you can run full featured applications on a Windows 8 (none RT) tablet, something that people might need.

• Reply 122 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I never used the term "serious work", so I'm not confused. I simply stated you can run full featured applications on a Windows 8 (none RT) tablet, something that people might need.

You didn't directly use it, but you were responding someone who did, and you certainly did infer that iPads couldn't be used for serious work.

• Reply 123 of 132
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, no kidding.  I thought Microsoft was supposed to release their "Free" version of Office for iOS by now.  I guess Microsoft is waiting for Surface to take off first.

They've announced it for 2014.  For balance's sake it's worth noting that MS hasn't released a Metro/Modern Office for its own OS's yet - so it's obvious a complete re-write of the parent product will have to come out first, and then, with the touch interface worked out, next a port to iOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Microsoft wants iTunes and Apple wants MS Office...I'd say this gets worked out to everyone's advantage at some point.

Similarly, as the article points out, Apple's never touchified iTunes for any of ITS own devices either.  Etc., see above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Regarding bringing Office to iOS... Apple does not really need Office on the iPad. Furthermore, Microsoft would probably do a crappy job porting it anyway. Non issue.

iPad is a major chance to finally enter the Enterprise market in a big way.  For that, iPad needs Office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

cnet has a similar article about how iTunes, iCloud and iBooks should be ported to Android. Good grief. Do people not get Apple's business model? iTunes was ported to Windows for one reason: to sell more iPods, which brought people in to the Apple ecosystem and had the potential of increasing Mac sales. How does making mobile versions of iTunes for other platforms sell more iPhones, iPads and iPods?

Being on Windows hasn't hurt them.  In fact, iTunes for Windows introduced me to something of how things work on the Mac and was actually the tipping point in making me a part-switcher (I still use both OS's), and for the PC I use for podcast watching, iT for Win is about my second most-used app, even tho' it's more fluid on Macs. 

So what's to fear about selling more media and other products - and introducing the rest of the world (many teens have never used a PC - only smart phones and so don't have the legacy Win experience most of us do) to Apple's way of doing things?

Also, as I've been posting elsewhere, a unified ecosystem is a win - especially for the "it just works" and digital device as "intuitive appliance" large segment of Apple's customers, but their lock-out of interoperability with other popular OS's keeps giving me pause on more buy-in, so I for one would be MORE likely to buy Apple products if they were more universal in this regard. 

And some customers who know about the walled garden (and if you don't know until you buy your first Apple device, you certainly will after some experience) are likely to bolt f they find it too confining (though admittedly Android devices have their own features that don't integrate with iOS devices - but still there are those geek factors like more open access to files, etc., that have some appeal).

iMessage and FaceTime were (I thought, though I'm less sure about iMessage) announced with the clear implication they'd be made to be able to work with devices other than Apple's in the near-ish future. Well, FaceTime's been out there for awhile, and unless I missed it, no one else has ever adopted it - so who's not working with - or not interested in working with - whom here?

• Reply 124 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

You didn't directly use it, but you were responding someone who did, and you certainly did infer that iPads couldn't be used for serious work.

Well if I did that wasn't my intention as I know a few DJ's who use the iPad as one of their main tools while on stage. One of the reasons why I bought a IO Dock from Alesis. I'm proud to say I've added a Native-Instruments Machine and a Novation SL MKII to that collective. You use the tools that get the job done, tablet apps albeit intuitive and very useful are still missing a lot of the functionality that a full desktop applications can offer, for some work the iPad just doesn't cut it. That's the only point I was trying to make. Until Apple releases OSX for a tablet Windows 8 isn't a bad option, I'm able to get my work done it.

• Reply 125 of 132
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Being on Windows hasn't hurt them.  In fact, iTunes for Windows introduced me to something of how things work on the Mac and was actually the tipping point in making me a part-switcher (I still use both OS's), and for the PC I use for podcast watching, iT for Win is about my second most-used app, even tho' it's more fluid on Macs. 

So what's to fear about selling more media and other products - and introducing the rest of the world (many teens have never used a PC - only smart phones and so don't have the legacy Win experience most of us do) to Apple's way of doing things?

Also, as I've been posting elsewhere, a unified ecosystem is a win - especially for the "it just works" and digital device as "intuitive appliance" large segment of Apple's customers, but their lock-out of interoperability with other popular OS's keeps giving me pause on more buy-in, so I for one would be MORE likely to buy Apple products if they were more universal in this regard. 

And some customers who know about the walled garden (and if you don't know until you buy your first Apple device, you certainly will after some experience) are likely to bolt f they find it too confining (though admittedly Android devices have their own features that don't integrate with iOS devices - but still there are those geek factors like more open access to files, etc., that have some appeal).

I agree. 

Also - in my opinion - iTunes should be a web-based interface adaptable to different platforms, and focused on media/content. Currently it tries to do too many things, is cumbersome and my least favorite Apple program to use.

• Reply 126 of 132
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    How do you keep a job that requires the use of office software, while writing so terribly?

I don't think you've used iWorks if you're rating OO.o as "supperior" (sic) to iWorks.

Does that mean it's more edible?
  • Reply 127 of 132
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Don't you hate the abuse of good adjectives like 'modern'. Metro is different from last year's offering and has more garish, tasteless colours than even the intrusive blue window header of XP or blurry transparent header of 7 showing off their ability to do transparency.

Was having coffee with my neighbour today and his wife called out for help on the computer trying to print an email. He disappears and returns 10 minutes later - "ugh the whole thing will have to be restored again and that's the third time it's happened since we got the new computer with Windows 8". 'Modern' systems don't do that kind of thing.

Well, I hate Windows Metro, but …

In fact, it would be hard to find a more perfect example of a "modern" design.  

"Modern" in design terms, means simple abstract shapes, clean lines, no extraneous decoration etc. Metro isn't the only UI design that would qualify as such, but it's certainly a near perfect example of a "modern" look design. 

• Reply 128 of 132
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there  I could easily see Amazon throwing something together to throw on Metro to sell music and movies if the opening is there.

There seems to be a lot of confusion here.  iTunes there version for windows 7 still runs on windows 8 in the desktop so the revenue stream is still there. Just not in the metro ui.  Apple will not port iTunes to the metro ui because it will help sell surface tablets.  And even if that is not the full reason it would be a huge waste of time for apple to port it to touch interface and make two versions that would have to be built for windows.  I doubt that it will ever happen,  windows will get the desktop version and most likely that will be it.

• Reply 129 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The entire paradigm of WIndows 8 is a clusterfuck. Having multiple apps, one for the desktop mode, one for Metro, is just messy. You're never really sure which one to use. I have desktop skype and metro skype installed, and they both "ring" and send me notifications simultaneously.. it's just weird. I know I can uninstall one, but the fact that this is even allowed to happen with the OS Microsoft has envisioned, and the direction things should go,  is just ridiculous. Apple is absolutely right in not wanting to invest resources creating a "metro" version of iTunes. I don't think the development and maintenance efforts will be worth it, nor do I think Apple wants to design ANYTHING following the metro design paradigms. iTunes has an identical interface in both OSX and Windows, they're not going to make a separate one that looks completely different for Metro. I don't see them contributing anything to Metro, no should they. 

Spot On.

• Reply 130 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mechanic wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion here.  iTunes there version for windows 7 still runs on windows 8 in the desktop so the revenue stream is still there. Just not in the metro ui.  Apple will not port iTunes to the metro ui because it will help sell surface tablets.  And even if that is not the full reason it would be a huge waste of time for apple to port it to touch interface and make two versions that would have to be built for windows.  I doubt that it will ever happen,  windows will get the desktop version and most likely that will be it.

Let's say that Windows 8 for ARM devices are wildly popular and Apple could potentially lose iPod, iPhone and iPad sales (as well as iTS/App Store content sales) to these users because Apple has no version of iTunes for Windows RT. Can they even make a version of iTunes that won't cut into their iTS/App Store profit? Does the Windows Store even let them use the same code they have for iTunes in Windows 8, save for a new UI, or would they have to build it up from scratch?

I'd think there are more Chrome OS devices on the market right now than devices running Windows RT, which has the same issue. If anything, I'd think Apple would have planned for a web-based contingency for iTunes, much like the way your iOS devices can access Videos and Music, but with a more full-featured UI that mirrors the iTunes app, but that is still server-side. I simply don't see them catering to Window RT or Chrome OS.

I think what we need to do is to stop looking at the "PC" as the media hub it's been for over a decade, but instead look for a more centralized method for storing your media. I hope this isn't just through Apple's servers, but includes a proper Apple Home Server complete with at least 3x 3.5" drives in a HW RAID.
  • Reply 131 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does Apple actually make money off iTunes? How do you make money distributing someone else's content?

30% cut for anything sold through iTunes.  Music, Movies, Apps, and Books all give Apple 30%.  iTunes was started as a break even proposal but has become so large that it is making a ton of money now.  YoY profit of 2 billion.

Here is a great article from Horace Dediu at Asymco.  http://www.asymco.com/2013/03/22/so-long-break-even/

• Reply 132 of 132
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Something about MS's comment seems off. I can see an issue with having a Metro UI touch version that runs on x86, x86_64, and ARM but I'd think still think Apple would do it if they thought there was a big enough market for it. Isn't MS's app store similar to Apple's insofar that MS also would also want 30% for all purchases through the iTunes for Metro UI app? If that the fine print on the "welcome mat" no wonder Apple isn't interested.

Doesn't make sense at all. iTunes work on x86 tablets and computers with Windows 8. Why would you want to run it on RT? To connect already more powerful iPhone or iPad to RT tablet..? And do... what?

In addition, I would expect that MS would prefer to keep Windows Tablet users off Apple AppStore and on Windows Store.