Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Simply put, Microsoft wants 30% of Apples iTunes sales revenue...

And you know this how?
  • Reply 82 of 132
    First MS needs to create a good version of Office for iPad. Stress is on the word 'good'.
  • Reply 83 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

And do what?  Reverse engineer how to interact with iOS devices and the App Store?  Borderline illegal and Apple would most certainly take measures to prevent it (as they have similarly in the past with companies which tried to hijack iTunes to work with their own devices).

Sorry that makes no sense, if MS goes with a company like Amazon why would iTunes still be in the picture. Amazon has their own music store so there would be no need to reverse engineer anything. Why does MS even want iTunes, aren't they trying to hock their own music store, this story is fishy.

• Reply 84 of 132
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I did a quick search and the answers range from $0.19 per song to 35% per song/album.

And none of those answers are from Apple. Apple has always said that they take a 30% cut of app sales but have never published what their cut was on music. The searches you take as fact are just someone else's opinion, nothing more.

• Reply 85 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Say , after MS Office is available on iPad ?

(and, BTW, totally useless, because, you know, Surface is for SERIOUS creation work, as opposed to frustrating iPad)

Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

• Reply 86 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    realistic wrote: »
    And none of those answers are from Apple. Apple has always said that they take a 30% cut of app sales but have never published what their cut was on music. The searches you take as fact are just someone else's opinion, nothing more.

Music industry reps have said 30% at least once. And the one I clearly remember, was complaining that it was too big of a cut.
  • Reply 87 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I don't see why - excepting technical difficulties - Apple wouldn't do that.

That is the way I see it. In fact Apple would be down right stupid to pass up the opportunity to get a lock on the platform. I can understand avoiding Android due to its fragmented nature but the MS platform appears to be well managed in that regard.
  • Reply 88 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The 30% started with music and was then applied to apps.
    Ok, well, how much of that 30% is profit? My guess is not much.
  • Reply 89 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

A 10" display to run the Adobe Suite is an excellent solution¡ And with that 64GB on-board NAND with only 23GiB available to users out of the box sure has plenty of room to install the Adobe Suite of apps with plenty of room for storing all those professional files¡ I'm completely flabbergasted as to why the Surface Pro and netbooks aren't the ideal machines for graphics and video professionals¡
  • Reply 90 of 132
    Simply put, Microsoft wants 30% of Apples iTunes sales revenue...

Microsoft does not require Windows 8 applications be sold through their digital store front exclusively.
  • Reply 91 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A 10" display to run the Adobe Suite is an excellent solution¡ And with that 64GB on-board NAND with only 23GiB available to users out of the box sure has plenty of room to install the Adobe Suite of apps with plenty of room for storing all those professional files¡ I'm completely flabbergasted as to why the Surface Pro and netbooks aren't the ideal machines for graphics and video professionals¡

I guess running those apps poorly, in a highly non-optimal environment is better than not at all. 64GB of storage goes away very quickly in a "desktop" OS, 4x more so with pro apps.
  • Reply 92 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And Apple should respond in kind. Office for Mac was part of the package that allowed Apple to recover after Jobs' return. Apple should indeed build a touch version of iTunes for Window 8. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Microsoft is going after Android tooth and nail and Apple should do every reasonable thing to help Microsoft succeed in taking Android down a notch or two.

Yes. If windows, iOS and Android were 30% it would healthier than Android at 60%
  • Reply 93 of 132
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    That's right, M$, it's really Apple's fault that you've created an entirely new (and much maligned) platform for ARM that uses a different codebase than Windows, that only has about a million users after 6 months, and an anemic 'app store'...

You want Apple to spend time and resources out of pocket porting one of its flagship products for that platform, and although you've "welcomed" that, they are so very BAD for ignoring your entreaties?

Meanwhile, are there any "Microsoft products for iOS"?

Yeah%u2026

• Reply 94 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Microsoft does not require Windows 8 applications be sold through their digital store front exclusively.

I believe Metro apps ARE required to be exclusively sold through MS's digital store (other than for developers and internal corporate apps).

• Reply 95 of 132
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    relic wrote: »

Lol. If creative professionals want that, then all the whiners complaining about the lack of updates for the 12-core Mac Pro connected to dual 27" calibrated color monitors and multi terabytes of internal storage should be happy.
  • Reply 96 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I guess running those apps poorly, in a highly non-optimal environment is better than not at all. 64GB of storage goes away very quickly in a "desktop" OS, 4x more so with pro apps.

I'd think this would be a much better overall solution for someone that needs to use Adobe's suite of apps.

• Reply 97 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You are confused about 'serious work'.

You can use the Adobe Suite to do serious work.

However, you can do serious work WITHOUT using the Adobe Suite.

Just like you can do serious work WITHOUT using MS Office.

Are there specific things that you can't readily do, or can't do as well as with a full desktop system?  Sure.

There's also a reason why Microsoft focus's so heavily on how Surface devices can readily use/have a keyboard & pointing device.

• Reply 98 of 132
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And Apple should respond in kind. Office for Mac was part of the package that allowed Apple to recover after Jobs' return. Apple should indeed build a touch version of iTunes for Window 8. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Microsoft is going after Android tooth and nail and Apple should do every reasonable thing to help Microsoft succeed in taking Android down a notch or two.

I think you are mischaracterizing this as "Microsoft did something nice for Apple, now it's their turn to respond in kind." Nothing could be further from reality. When the deal was cut, both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. There wasn't any opened ended promise of a future "respond in kind." Neither company does that. Apple got Mac Office ported to OS X and an investment worth hundreds of millions in the form of non- voting shares. Microsoft got broad access to Apple patents and an end to patent litigation between the two companies, as well as a hedge against the claims that Windows was a monopoly and had no competition (Microsoft was under serious antitrust scrutiny before 9/11), during the height of the Windows hegemony. The "in kind" balance is zero; Apple owes Microsoft nothing.

EDIT: Apple also made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X, as part of their deal.
  • Reply 99 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

EDIT: Apple also made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X, as part of their deal.

I was in the audience at the Mac World keynote when Steve announced that. You would not believe the reaction. He was almost booed off the stage. I thought that was prior to OS X though, not sure.

Edit: 

Somehow I remember a lot more booing than is heard in that video. Maybe I was seated in the peanut gallery.

• Reply 100 of 132

Quote:

I think you are mischaracterizing this as "Microsoft did something nice for Apple, now it's their turn to respond in kind." Nothing could be further from reality. When the deal was cut, both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. There wasn't any opened ended promise of a future "respond in kind." Neither company does that. 

Correct, and today, evidently, Microsoft has nothing that Apple wants or needs, to enable deal-making to proceed.  In fact, AAPL has enough cash money that they could buy controlling interest in MSFT outright, if they felt there was anything there worth buying.... :)