Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
On Wednesday, Google introduced its long-anticipated Spotify competitor: Google Play Music All Access, a "uniquely Google approach" to subscription music service.

allaccess


Google engineering director Chris Yerga announced the new music service during the keynote for the search giant's annual Google I/O developer conference. As was previously rumored, the streaming service is similar to popular music service Spotify, but it also adds elements similar to Internet radio service Pandora.

"We set out to build a music service that didn't just give you access to the world of music," Yerga said, "but also helped guide you through it."

All Access has a focus on personalized recommendations, using a feature called Explore. Explore allows users to start a radio station from an individual track. Once the station is established, users can tailor the tracks that will play to their likes by stopping tracks that they don't want to hear.

The new streaming service will also suggest new releases and other tracks that Google thinks users will enjoy based on their listening habits. All Access will also allow users to blend their own Google Play-stored tracks in on playlists with All Access songs.

The move into streaming will bring Google into competition not only with Spotify and Pandora, but also potentially with Apple. The iPhone maker is said to be working on its own radio service to debut some time this summer. Much of the negotiations with the major record labels is said to already be done, but holdouts among some labels are thought to be holding up the rollout of Apple's streaming option.

All Access is available in the United States as of May 15 for $10 per month. Google is opening up the service to all users in the country, though, for a 30-day free trial. Users beginning their trial before June 30 will be able to take advantage of a special discount, getting access to the streaming service for $8 per month.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 92


    Take my money

  • Reply 2 of 92
    iOS app?
  • Reply 3 of 92
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member


    Ok that explains the stock dive.  imo there is going to be another dive when they get to hardware.

  • Reply 4 of 92
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by manny805 View Post



    iOS app?


     


    Since they are charging for the service why not. Would be a smart move imo.

  • Reply 5 of 92
    So the 'uniquely Google approach' is to charge 2.5x what a Pandora subscription costs?
  • Reply 6 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member


    Apple has had 4 years to compete with this, from back when Android was a joke - they have the credit cards and surely the technology. Lala was bought in 2009. 2009!


     


    What has happened since?. Either heads should roll at Apple, or Cook's head should roll.

  • Reply 7 of 92
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Wow. Google is going to win in every way.

    Apple. Slower to streaming music. Slower to low cost phone. Slower to big screen size. Slower to software innovations. Slower to license and market.

    It is so much Windows vs Mac 1990s.

    The integrated approach is great to open a market not to rule it. Next we will see Apple again being a 3% market share bit player.

    That is Apple corporate culture. We're the tiny little underdog with moral superiority. We won't sell out. We do it our way and only in our good time. Suck it shareholders.

    This music service is a prime example of how one's lunch gets eaten.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    Ok that explains the stock dive.  imo there is going to be another dive when they get to hardware.



    Buying opportunity. 

  • Reply 9 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Apple has had 4 years to compete with this, from back when Android was a joke - they have the credit cards and surely the technology. Lala was bought in 2009. 2009!

    What has happened since?. Either heads should roll at Apple, or Cook's head should roll.

    Buying the tech doesnt equal getting the rights contracts. In this case Apple likely didn't and had to start that from scratch. All this talk about talks could be on that front, not some Pandora or Spotify knock off.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member


    Does anyone really care about this crap? I have my own library of music that is quite large from years of purchasing. I add to it on a regular basis but that probably only averages 4-5 songs a month at best. Why subscribe to a streaming service that just chews up bandwidth while you have to sort through the mountains of music you don't care about to find that one gem?


     


    I have been far more successful discovering new music through movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. than Google will with their suggestions. And if I really am in a pinch, Pandora's free service is fine.


     


    -kpluck

  • Reply 11 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Apple has had 4 years to compete with this, from back when Android was a joke - they have the credit cards and surely the technology. Lala was bought in 2009. 2009!


     


    What has happened since?. Either heads should roll at Apple, or Cook's head should roll.



    Not sure about Cook's head (yet), but I agree with your broader sentiment. Apple has been sitting on its laurels with iTunes (spare me the stuff about retooling the UI, which was marginal, at best).


     


    I hope Apple can get in front in other areas (e.g., retail payments by buying a company like Square).


     


    I really would like to see Apple make some aggressive competitive moves. The silence overall is deafening. It's, as I've said before, going to be a long, dry, hard summer.......image

  • Reply 12 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post


    Does anyone really care about this crap? I have my own library of music that is quite large from years of purchasing. I add to it on a regular basis but that probably only averages 4-5 songs a month at best. Why subscribe to a streaming service that just chews up bandwidth while you have to sort through the mountains of music you don't care about to find that one gem?


     


    I have been far more successful discovering new music through movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. than Google will with their suggestions. And if I really am in a pinch, Pandora's free service is fine.


     


    -kpluck



     


    This is the kind of silliness that pervades: "I have my preferences/tastes and everybody else must be like me, so nobody else could/should care if I don't."


     


    Do you have kids? Nieces/nephews? Neighbors who are younger? Any interactions at all with today's 15 - 30 year olds?


     


    Find out how they're getting and listening to their music today....

  • Reply 13 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Ok that explains the stock dive.  imo there is going to be another dive when they get to hardware.
    Does this really surprise you? The day Google announced I/O I knew Apple's stock would tank during the keynote. And Apple could announce a cure for Cancer at WWDC and the stock would barely move. Just the way it is right now with Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Not sure about Cook's head (yet), but I agree with your broader sentiment. Apple has been sitting on its laurels with iTunes (spare me the stuff about retooling the UI, which was marginal, at best).


     


    I hope Apple can get in front in other areas (e.g., retail payments by buying a company like Square).


     


    I really would like to see Apple make some aggressive competitive moves. The silence overall is deafening. It's, as I've said before, going to be a long, dry, hard summer.......image



    Square would be a great acquisition - or at least work with them for chrissakes. 


     


    Apple should.


     


    1) Buy square. Sell the point of sale  devices to the mass market. Cheaply. 


    2) Allow people to enter their bank details direct into iTunes.


    3) Allow purchases using square and the iPhone. 


     


    This could allow massive revenue from sales of normal goods.

  • Reply 15 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not sure about Cook's head (yet), but I agree with your broader sentiment. Apple has been sitting on its laurels with iTunes (spare me the stuff about retooling the UI, which was marginal, at best).

    I hope Apple can get in front in other areas (e.g., retail payments by buying a company like Square).

    I really would like to see Apple make some aggressive competitive moves. The silence overall is deafening. It's, as I've said before, going to be a long, dry, hard summer.......:\
    What Apple is missing right now is articulating their vision. And no I don't mean a detailed product roadmap. But Tim Cook says Apple is not a hardware company. Well what are they then? Apple makes most of its money off hardware and we're not really seeing them move into services in a big way. So when Cook makes that comment what does he mean? How does he want us to think about Apple? They need to step it up in software and services in a big way for people to think of them as more than a premium hardware company.

    I hope we get some of this vision at WWDC.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not sure about Cook's head (yet), but I agree with your broader sentiment. Apple has been sitting on its laurels with iTunes (spare me the stuff about retooling the UI, which was marginal, at best).

    I hope Apple can get in front in other areas (e.g., retail payments by buying a company like Square).

    I really would like to see Apple make some aggressive competitive moves. The silence overall is deafening. It's, as I've said before, going to be a long, dry, hard summer.......:\
    What Apple is missing right now is articulating their vision. And no I don't mean a detailed product roadmap. But Tim Cook says Apple is not a hardware company. Well what are they then? Apple makes most of its money off hardware and we're not really seeing them move into services in a big way. So when Cook makes that comment what does he mean? How does he want us to think about Apple? They need to step it up in software and services in a big way for people to think of them as more than a premium hardware company.

    I hope we get some of this vision at WWDC.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member


    I think Apple should give Sony more or less what they want and get on with it, they can afford too. Sony have obviously managed to come to agreements with all the other music streaming services, including this latest Google variation. Why not with Apple? The company must be trying to cheap skate on price too much, or Sony just has it in for Apple maybe. But I'm getting a bit fed up with the company falling behind all the other tech entities on all these new developments. I'm worried its going to get to the point that nobody cares anymore, and then Apple is really screwed! 

  • Reply 18 of 92
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Does this really surprise you? The day Google announced I/O I knew Apple's stock would tank during the keynote. And Apple could announce a cure for Cancer at WWDC and the stock would barely move. Just the way it is right now with Apple.


     


    >>Just the way it is right now with Apple>>


     


    This mentality that its the market and not Apple is comical at best, but more likely delusional.  Apple screwed up.  Anyone without their head in the sand can see it. They missed a product cycle.  They rested on their laurels.  They misunderstood consumer demand.  Earnings are expected to drop like a rock this quarter, down 23% year over year.  Earnings for the fiscal year are expected to drop 15%.  The market is reacting to a shrinking company, a company that is in a secular growth market but seemingly can't grow any longer.  Any top line expansion is getting eaten up by margin erosion.  Markets they dominate are getting saturated.  Nobody doubts the products are top notch, but the company, the business, the management has certainly lost its luster.  Everyone expected growth to slow at some point.  Few saw this company hitting a wall overnight and earnings grow going from hugely positive to negative in such a short period of time, all while its peers continue to grow.  I can't see how even the most ardent Apple supporters aren't alarmed by the appearance that this company will basically go an entire year without a single new product or announcement.  Nothing.  Who in their right mind manages a company like this and puts everything out all at once.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple - move faster and make Apple look bad, take the narrative away......sadly it is working and this has the feel of a self-fulfilling implosion because of the arrogance management is showing.   

  • Reply 19 of 92
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member


    "Nice" CEO's don't get anything done. Tim Cook is a coddler while Steve Jobs was a doer. Steve must be rolling in his grave right now.



    For me, I've patiently waited. My Mac Pro is 5 years old. WWDC better be a head turner or I'll finally be convinced this company "DNA" Steve talked about doesn't exist.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


     


    >>Just the way it is right now with Apple>>


     


    This mentality that its the market and not Apple is comical at best, but more likely delusional.  Apple screwed up.  Anyone without their head in the sand can see it. They missed a product cycle.  They rested on their laurels.  They misunderstood consumer demand.  Earnings are expected to drop like a rock this quarter, down 23% year over year.  Earnings for the fiscal year are expected to drop 15%.  The market is reacting to a shrinking company, a company that is in a secular growth market but seemingly can't grow any longer.  Any top line expansion is getting eaten up by margin erosion.  Markets they dominate are getting saturated.  Nobody doubts the products are top notch, but the company, the business, the management has certainly lost its luster.  Everyone expected growth to slow at some point.  Few saw this company hitting a wall overnight and earnings grow going from hugely positive to negative in such a short period of time, all while its peers continue to grow.  I can't see how even the most ardent Apple supporters aren't alarmed by the appearance that this company will basically go an entire year without a single new product or announcement.  Nothing.  Who in their right mind manages a company like this and puts everything out all at once.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple - move faster and make Apple look bad, take the narrative away......sadly it is working and this has the feel of a self-fulfilling implosion because of the arrogance management is showing.   


  • Reply 20 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    >>Just the way it is right now with Apple>>

    This mentality that its the market and not Apple is comical at best, but more likely delusional.  Apple screwed up.  Anyone without their head in the sand can see it. They missed a product cycle.  They rested on their laurels.  They misunderstood consumer demand.  Earnings are expected to drop like a rock this quarter, down 23% year over year.  Earnings for the fiscal year are expected to drop 15%.  The market is reacting to a shrinking company, a company that is in a secular growth market but seemingly can't grow any longer.  Any top line expansion is getting eaten up by margin erosion.  Markets they dominate are getting saturated.  Nobody doubts the products are top notch, but the company, the business, the management has certainly lost its luster.  Everyone expected growth to slow at some point.  Few saw this company hitting a wall overnight and earnings grow going from hugely positive to negative in such a short period of time, all while its peers continue to grow.  I can't see how even the most ardent Apple supporters aren't alarmed by the appearance that this company will basically go an entire year without a single new product or announcement.  Nothing.  Who in their right mind manages a company like this and puts everything out all at once.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple - move faster and make Apple look bad, take the narrative away......sadly it is working and this has the feel of a self-fulfilling implosion because of the arrogance management is showing.   
    I've said this a million times, what, pray tell, did investors know or expect when they were driving the stock up to $700 that they don't know now? Apple is the same company now as it was 6 months ago. The competitive landscape hasn't changed that much since last summer.

    IMO Apple's biggest problem right now is perception more than reality. Apple needs to do a better job of managing the narrative around the company, especially when they go 6+ months with no product announcements. Cook isn't doing a good enough job articulating vision. He says Apple isn't a hardware company but doesn't really give us a vision about what that means beyond them having great stuff in the pipeline. Apple needs a better company spokesperson. Maybe have Schiller or Ive fill that role. But right now they're not controlling the narrative. They're letting the media and Wall Street "analysts" define them. Makes no sense to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.