Google's new 3D Maps destroy Manhattan in the wake of Apple's Flyover

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not to mention, of course, the really scary part:

"Access to the new Google Maps also requires an invitation, which links your online session to your Google account, reinforcing the company's ad-centric business model."

You can't even look at a map without Google crawling into your shorts.

Hence my remark about the Fantards grabbing their ankles. :)

• Reply 22 of 148
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Receptionist: "Mr Cook?"
    Tim Cook: "Yes, Doris?"
    Receptionist: "I have Mr Forstall on the line for you. He wishes to speak with you."
    Tim Cook: * groan *
  • Reply 23 of 148
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    darkvader wrote: »
    Let's see, 3d flyover or street view, which is more useful?

I'm sorry, Apple just isn't there with useful mapping.

I certainly find StreetView more useful than Flyover but you're just trying to change the subject from the fact that the anti-Apple and pro-Google crowd lambasted Apple over 1) including FlyOver which they said had zero utility, and 2) laughed at FlyOver for not perfectly rendering every image and using it as proof Apple shouldn't be doing any mapping against Google's years of experience.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Let's see, 3d flyover or street view, which is more useful?

I'm sorry, Apple just isn't there with useful mapping.

Troll #1 entered the room!

Within 17 seconds of Apple coming out with Maps, trolls trampled on Apple.  3D is useless!! Google has a decade of a head start!!  

And now?  Hardly a peep... but this guy is "suddenly" saying that 3D is not useful anyways.  Oh look... a squirrel!

Let's see what #2 says...

• Reply 26 of 148
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    negafox wrote: »
    Personally, I find 3D maps to be an unnecessary feature for what all I am trying to do is to get from point A to point B.

That well may be true for many people, many ties -- when they're just going between points A and B. However, many people often like to see what's in the neighborhood and explore a little. That's what makes Google Street View popular. The Picture Carousel in the New Google Maps is targeted at "exploring".

For example, you might be driving to 6th and Hill in Los Angeles -- and never realize the "little treasure" in the neighborhood.
  • Reply 27 of 148
    slurpy wrote: »
    I was hoping someone would make an article like this. I noticed a shit load of messed up 3D after browsing around with my invite, but unlike with the launch of Apple maps, when a million blogs were stup specifically to showcase these, as well the screenshots captured and used as headlines on all major news outlets and tech blogs, for weeks and weeks, I haven't seen a fucking PEEP about this, anywhere. The same people that spent hours scouring for such imagery over which to mock Apple, and used it as "evidence" that Apple had "lost it" and is now in a downwards spiral, aren't saying a fucking word now. Why? Because they don't give a shit.

These same Google-worshipping fanatics were not willing to give Apple, a company who has never been in the maps business, a pass over imperfections in a feature that Google didn't even have, will now make excuses for Google and will give them a pass for even worse distortions a year later, from a company who has been in the maps business for over a decade and is one of their core products. Just goes to show the utter vapidity and emptiness of these attacks, and the vile hypocrisy involved.

Will anyone bother setting up tumblr blogs showcasing these? Of course not.

Actually, Google was smart in some ways:
    • they didn't discontinue the existing map products -- replacing them with unfinished new ones
    • they treated it like an invitation-only beta -- where warts and problems are expected
    • they enlisted help/feedback from the users

Hence, no apologies necessary!
  • Reply 28 of 148
    landcruiserlandcruiser Posts: 218member
    Hello... Google has had this problem forever and on Google Earth too. The Apple haters just never talk about it.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    I suspect that at WWDC we'll see introduction of:

[LIST]
    [*] an iMac with Retina Display
    [*] Apple Maps for OSX and the desktop (including 3D Flyover)
    [*] a desktop UI to provide flexible manipulation of 2D and 3D maps equal to the iPad
    [*] enhanced iOS and OSX Maps SDK to provide programming APIs to developers
    [*] enhanced maps data and POI data
    [*] enhanced maps search
    [/LIST]

It is also possible that Apple could contract Street View capability from Nokia/Naviteq.

If this is done right, Apple Maps on the Desktop could be quite competitive!
  • Reply 30 of 148
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Actually, Google was smart in some ways:!

I can't prove this but I suspect they had their Google Maps for iOS ready well before iOS 6 was launched but waited for the backlash so they could come in like saviors. Many news organizations announced Google Maps coming back to the iPhone as if Apple caved and switched out the back-end in Maps for Google, when it was just a 3rd-party app on the App Store which has been allowed since 2008 when the App Store opened. It's sleazy but it's smart business which is why I think that's what Google did.
  • Reply 31 of 148
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I certainly find StreetView more useful than Flyover but you're just trying to change the subject from the fact that the anti-Apple and pro-Google crowd lambasted Apple over 1) including FlyOver which they said had zero utility, and 2) laughed at FlyOver for not perfectly rendering every image and using it as proof Apple shouldn't be doing any mapping against Google's years of experience.

This still has no utility.  It's a feature added on for curiosity's sake, unlike in Apple maps where it "doubles" as Street View.

• Reply 32 of 148
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Troll #1 entered the room!

Within 17 seconds of Apple coming out with Maps, trolls trampled on Apple.  3D is useless!! Google has a decade of a head start!!  

And now?  Hardly a peep... but this guy is "suddenly" saying that 3D is not useful anyways.  Oh look... a squirrel!

Let's see what #2 says...

So - you're calling him out for representing a consistent opinion?  You indicated that he said "3D was useless" when referring to Apple maps and then he later said "3D is not useful anyways" when referring to the Google maps.  

Sounds to me like he just conceded that the Google Maps 3D sucks as badly as the Apple Maps 3D.

• Reply 33 of 148
    Duplicate
  • Reply 34 of 148
    solipsismx wrote: »

This still has no utility.  It's a feature added on for curiosity's sake, unlike in Apple maps where it "doubles" as Street View.

That is your opinion, and you're entitled to it!

However, some of us believe that Flyover is a major feature which will become integral to mapping/navigation, trip planning, promotion/advertising in the near future.
  • Reply 35 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    negafox wrote: »
    Personally, I find 3D maps to be an unnecessary feature for what all I am trying to do is to get from point A to point B.

Yeah, they're just fun to view what a foreign city is like. But we're I there I wouldn't use them.
  • Reply 36 of 148
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

However, some of us believe that Flyover is a major feature which will become integral to mapping/navigation, trip planning, promotion/advertising in the near future.

Then you should check out the Bing maps "Bird's Eye view".  Not much distortion at all and you can view any area via perspectives from the north/south/east/west.

• Reply 37 of 148
    runbuh wrote: »

Then you should check out the Bing maps "Bird's Eye view".  Not much distortion at all and you can view any area via perspectives from the north/south/east/west.

Have a look at Hoover Dam in Bird's Eye view...

The bridge sags down the canyon walls.

There are only 4 compass points.

There is only 1 3D angle.

No comparison to Apple maps.
  • Reply 38 of 148
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that at WWDC we'll see introduction of:

• an iMac with Retina Display

• Apple Maps for OSX and the desktop (including 3D Flyover)

• a desktop UI to provide flexible manipulation of 2D and 3D maps equal to the iPad

• enhanced iOS and OSX Maps SDK to provide programming APIs to developers

• enhanced maps data and POI data

• enhanced maps search

You  didn't mention what I'd like, Mini iPad with Retina Display.  image

• Reply 39 of 148
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

On iOS iPhone:

For my use, Apple Maps is more accurate than Google Maps.  I frequently ran into serious Google Maps errors, so I  now seldom use GM for map location.

Now I only use Google Maps when I occasionally need a street view!

• Reply 40 of 148
    morzee94morzee94 Posts: 13member
    I do wish google and apple would both stop trying to get their maps in 3D..... The technology just doesn't work reliably enough yet. I want a maps service that shows me where to go correctly 100% of the time via walking, driving and public transport. At the moment only google are doing that, I just hope they don't ruin that with gimmicky 3D crap, keep it in earth, not in maps.