Google's new 3D Maps destroy Manhattan in the wake of Apple's Flyover

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I just searched Google Maps for "Pythegorio".

Whoa! The Cities were shown, and what appeared to be a main road -- but they were sitting on the water... The island of Samos was MIA.

Google Maps doesn't even understand my query "Pythegorio" ["...did you mean...?"]

Strange that Gatorguy somehow always has a working Google experience. That certainly is not my experience, with Maps or something else. But, because I hardly ever use any of their services, I may be ...whatever, can't find a proper word for it.

Oops... I mistyped in the narrative -- it's "Pythagorio" with an 'a' instead of an 'e'. Fixed!

The search term was entered correctly into the apps, however.

I believe the word you are trying to find is "anti-applendipity".
  • Reply 142 of 148
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    https://maps.google.com/
    then "Samos". Take your pick.
    http://goo.gl/maps/8YfN6

:???:  The island of Samos Greece is there and looks fine to me. 

EDIT: Lots of detail too including ferry routes. Perhaps you discovered a bug at some specific zoom level? Dunno but the island and all it's streets is certainly there in Google Maps   

Show a screenshot of the land mass being represented. The only way I can get it to show up is if I use a satellite view, but that's an image of the physical island so it's expected to not be absent.

700 700
  • Reply 143 of 148
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Show a screenshot of the land mass being represented. The only way I can get it to show up is if I use a satellite view, but that's an image of the physical island so it's expected to not be absent.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Samos,+Samos+Prefecture,+Greece&hl=en&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=58.928785,135.263672&oq=Samos,+Samos+Prefecture,+Greece&t=h&hnear=Vathy,+Samos+Prefecture,+Greece&z=12

Or from the beginning go to maps.google.com and type Samos, Samos Prefecture, Greece in the search box. Perhaps doing the search from from an iPhone/iPad yields different results??:\
  • Reply 144 of 148
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

1) That isn't a screenshot.

2) That link shows the exact same thing we all have seen. Turn off satellite view and you see water where land should be represented.
  • Reply 145 of 148
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) That isn't a screenshot.

2) That link shows the exact same thing we all have seen. Turn off satellite view and you see water where land should be represented.

So you don't see an island with roads, terrain etc by going to maps.google.com? I didn't change any setting, just using the default. I'm sure I can turn some layers off to eliminate the terrain. So using the iPhone/iPad default settings it doesn't show the island then. I did not know that. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, doing as you asked they don't show the typical white background for land. You're right, it's not the way it should normally be shown. Plainly an error in the "perfect Google Maps". :D
  • Reply 146 of 148
    So you don't see an island with roads, terrain etc by going to maps.google.com? I didn't change any setting, just using the default. I'm sure I can turn some layers off to eliminate the terrain. So using the iPhone/iPad default settings it doesn't show terrain then. I did not know that. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, doing as you asked they don't show the typical white background for land. You're right, it's not the way it should normally be shown.

EDIT2: I just reported it. I wonder if/when they'll fix it.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I gave you the links to see for yourself. It wasn't magic. Perhaps I have some default setting on maps that Mr. Applebaum doesn't. FWIW I couldn't get a hit on his search term either. That's why I used the name of the island he had a problem with, Samos, which turns out to be formally "Samos, Samos Prefecture, Greece"

Already known now, but it was indeed the typo leading to no results at my end. No worries, carry on.
  • Reply 148 of 148
    Is Google responsible for Greece's economic woes?

I was trying to locate tourist sites on the Turkish Aegean coast so I could compare the results of Google Maps and Apple Maps on my iPad. The Apple map database is newer (2012) and has much fewer POIs than the more mature Google Maps database (2005). So, if I wanted to compare the two, I'd better find something first with the Apple Map, then the Google Map (Google, likely, showed places that wouldn't be found in the newer Apple database).

To simplify, I chose to use map view zoomed out so I could see interesting cities or land masses (islands, bays, etc.) with less distraction...

700 700

On the Apple Map, I saw a peninsula jutting into the Aegean with a large island offshore -- that looks pretty touristy, let's locate the same peninsula/island on the Google Map.

The Hypotenuse in not on the Square...

On my iPad, I switched back and forth between Apple Maps and Google Maps... Something was terribly wrong -- I couldn't locate the corresponding peninsula/island on the Google Map... It was like I was looking at two different places! Finally, exasperated, I zoomed in on the Apple Map and saw a City named Pythegorio.*

* A little surfing and I discovered that Pythagorio is a city on the Greek island of Samos (184.6 sq mi) 43 km (27 mi) long and 13 km (8 mi) wide.)

700 700

What have they done to my Samos?

So. I just searched Google Maps for "Pythagorio".

Whoa! The Cities were shown, and what appeared to be a main road -- but they were sitting on the water... The island of Samos was MIA.

700 700

Bingo!

Thankfully, Bing Maps on the Mac comes to the rescue... The Chrome Mac Browser showing: Current Google Maps; New Google Maps; then Bing Maps

700 700

EDIT2: I just reported it. I wonder if/when they'll fix it.

Dick, you'll be pleased to know that Greece is saved. The island of Samos is fixed in maps. ;) No idea how long ago it was done as this is the first time I went back to look.